• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozium

The fairy in Rude bear might be the annoying piece of shit in all of games, god damn.

yeah, it's very distracting.. also that game seems to have some serious judder that is sickening.. also not sure how I feel about the levels being as long as they are for the type of game it is... humble grumble bundle

--
speaking of bundle games there's a new bundle a-brewin'
Groupees Be Mine 30 pre-order $2

possibly containing the following gems:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/476410/One_Small_Fire_At_A_Time/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/448370/IS_Defense/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/364200/Farabel/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/503460/Security_Hole/

Arminsc

Speaking of Steam controller. I tried to play Nier Automata with it the other day, and controlling camera with touchpad was a mess. How to best configure it? And also FPS for that matter.

I'm playing Nier with the Steam Controller and I found a configuration that works really well. It lets you change the behavior of the left touchpad between default and twin stick pressing the left grip button which makes it really confortable to control the camera on different situations.
It is listed as "Dual Mode Config" and it's one of the most popular of the community configs.

Tomasety

Can you get a booster pack for a removed game?

I know they changed in that regular gameplay won't drop cards for removed games.

I'm trying to figure out whether I want to idle Alan Wake and Doctor Who and go for the badges before they get removed or not.

I think you can get boosters from removed games. Even if those are from game developers whose contract was ceased by valved. Bear in mind that a booster drop requires somebody to craft it and then you must be lucky enough to be get the booster drop.

Looking at the Dead Cell link. I've come to realize I'm not a fan of rogue-lites. Even with perma upgrades I find the sheen of fun wears thin when I have to restart and lose all the level progress each time I die. Still haven't completed Everspace, Gungeon, and a couple others because of this despite enjoying the core gameplay.

Just when I re-consider another playthrough I'm reminded I'll probably die and lose all the progress on that run as well.

That's exactly the same issue I have with rogue-likes. I wish I could enjoy them but I can't. I find very frustrating to restart character's progression from scratch. For me, it must be a game with rogue-lite elements, without perma-death in a similar way of Rogue Legacy.

Ok, the Viking Conquest DLC for M&B Warband is seriously good. It feels like a full-on total conversion of the gameplay, much more focused on infantry than the vanilla game. It also has a more directed campaign available, which is pretty cool; I'm not clear how much character creation changes it, but it's a nice change of pace from the open-ended gameplay in vanilla (which is also there, as an option).

Only thing it needs is some extra QoL stuff, like talking to important characters in a village from the campaign map, and it'd be perfect. It has a host of UI improvements over vanilla M&B Warband already, though, like seeing campaign and army information from the main character menu. There's also mostly redone art and a bunch of new mechanics, like boats & boat combat.

Also, I know the Steam page mentions a dog companion, but I haven't found it yet. Bums me out...
I have practically no experience with the genre, so it's no surprise I'm pretty terrible at Nuclear Throne. Hah! Played about 3 hours today, I *think* the farthest I made it was 3-2. Ah well, still having fun anyways. Not really sure which mutations to prioritize. Eyes is fun with expanded melee range and his telekinesis.

I also picked up the Vanishing of Ethan Carter from Humble Bundle in the past day or so. $3 is an all-time low (I think), and I've really wanted to play it.
Ehh, Nuclear Throne is straight-up ruthless. It's not a question of being good or bad, but being prepared that changes how things go. So persevere and you will succeed (longer before dying)!

I love the way NT's gameplay feels, though. It's part of why it is so replayable, IMO. It's a weird thing that I can't really describe--it's just right. Vlambeer are magicians.
Looking at the Dead Cell link. I've come to realize I'm not a fan of rogue-lites. Even with perma upgrades I find the sheen of fun wears thin when I have to restart and lose all the level progress each time I die. Still haven't completed Everspace, Gungeon, and a couple others because of this despite enjoying the core gameplay.

Just when I re-consider another playthrough I'm reminded I'll probably die and lose all the progress on that run as well.

Tales of Maj'Eyal or One Way Heroics are good roguelikes that still have progression. The former has an "exploration" mode that lets you play endlessly if you just want to figure things out, and OWH is designed around replayability. Both have enough persistence--as in, permanent unlocks and item vaults--to ensure that no run is a waste. They also have tons of content to see no matter how you play.

But yeah, a good roguelike is designed around death. The best of them teach you things whenever you die, to further your next run. At a certain point, knowledge becomes progress; they're not games designed for walkthroughs or perfect runs, but compromise, setbacks, and triumph against all odds. (And I'd add, ToME and OWH both accomplish this while also offering degrees of persistence.)

Uzzy

Thanks to InquisitorAles for posting about the Art of Deus Ex earlier in the week, because it inspired me to make a purchase myself:

My game book library just doubled.

It's a really nice one, for sure. I've also picked up the Dishonoured 2 art book and 20 Years of Tomb Raider recently, both look great.

Ok, the Viking Conquest DLC for M&B Warband is seriously good. It feels like a full-on total conversion of the gameplay, much more focused on infantry than the vanilla game. It also has a more directed campaign available, which is pretty cool; I'm not clear how much character creation changes it, but it's a nice change of pace from the open-ended gameplay in vanilla (which is also there, as an option).

Only thing it needs is some extra QoL stuff, like talking to important characters in a village from the campaign map, and it'd be perfect. It has a host of UI improvements over vanilla M&B Warband already, though, like seeing campaign and army information from the main character menu. There's also mostly redone art and a bunch of new mechanics, like boats & boat combat.

Also, I know the Steam page mentions a dog companion, but I haven't found it yet. Bums me out...
Been meaning to get back to Warband and for 5 bucks from Winstore it can't hurt to try.

From current HB
ModBot said:
Instructions for InquisitorAles:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

SpeedRunners -- MB-EEC70FBAE739A6A8 - Taken by someguyinahat. 5 entrants total.

t1494676534z1.png

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
I have practically no experience with the genre, so it's no surprise I'm pretty terrible at Nuclear Throne. Hah! Played about 3 hours today, I *think* the farthest I made it was 3-2. Ah well, still having fun anyways. Not really sure which mutations to prioritize. Eyes is fun with expanded melee range and his telekinesis.

Most of the mutations are great - my top choices are Bloodlust, Scarier Face and Strong Spirit.

Euphoria is worth taking if you're playing Eyes, your right click ability will slow down shots even more.

Really, the only dud is Sharp Teeth, and you can sort of pull it off if you combine it with Scarier Face and Bloodlust.

Played Punch Club from the latest Humble Bundle and while the idea and gameplay is pretty cool, the fact that stats decay after every single day is too much. Balancing work, gym, shopping and sidequests at the same time seems too much to handle. I feel like I barely make any progress while the other fighters are too strong. It's a shame I might drop it as it's a cool game. :(

I'm playing Nier with the Steam Controller and I found a configuration that works really well. It lets you change the behavior of the left touchpad between default and twin stick pressing the left grip button which makes it really confortable to control the camera on different situations.
It is listed as "Dual Mode Config" and it's one of the most popular of the community configs.
Thanks, I'll check it out.
It's a really nice one, for sure. I've also picked up the Dishonoured 2 art book and 20 Years of Tomb Raider recently, both look great.
Dishonored 2 is pretty expensive as far as hardcover art books go, it was over 40 dollars when it first released.

Uzzy

Dishonored 2 is pretty expensive as far as hardcover art books go, it was over 40 dollars when it first released.

Yeah, it was pretty expensive at launch, £40 over here. But just like the game it came down in price pretty quickly. I picked it up for £27, which was actually more than I paid for the game.

Not as expensive as the prices being demanded for the Valkyria Chronicles artbook though, so I'm glad I got that for a decent price.

Hektor

I wonder if we'll ever get a Sims 5. Sims 4 did a lot of stuff well but the lack of the open world really was a deal breaker for me. You have to imagine the game sold millions of copies anyway but I still don't know if EA would be willing to greenlight a new one (which would hopefully fix the problems in 4). They definitely didn't have enough interest to let another Simcity happen.

I don't even need a Sims 5. Sims 3 would be more than enough for me if the addons would all be finally avilable at a reasonable price

Tizoc

Got bored of Indiana Jones: Fate of Atlantis. So I decided to watch the remaining Indy movies continuing with Temple of Doom.

AHA-Lambda

Prepare for 7; the Destiny Launcher.

Nah you're alright there, cos I simply wouldn't touch Destiny with a barge pole :p

In all seriousness though, why do people keep freaking out about Destiny not coming to Steam? I've seen no real evidence against it coming to Steam.

Right.

The real issue for me is that so many would-be Soulslike games skip one of its most important factors: the online interaction (both cooperative and disruptive).

I agree with this. In dark souls 2 once I got to the dlc there were no other players around and my motivation to finish some of the areas went away. My soul level may have also gotten too high and you cant control it in that game. Made it hard to replay dark souls 1.

Ive been waiting for a discounted game plus all dlc version for dark souls 3 and I hope I didn't wait too long already.

Tizoc

000d00037932cbadedc3de65e9c9c682.jpg

Have you played the Fate of Atlantis game though? It's a...competent point-and-click, but certainly not Lucasarts' best effort.
I made it to algiers but progressing felt slow and it failed to keep my attension :/
I think u mean last crusade whch i own but will watch the movie first before playing it
Mind u i had mever watched indiana jones movies until this yeat; ive known about them but never got around to watching them :p

Parsnip

Something i just noticed

ai7oVcr.png

Vanquish isn't ported by Platinum but by the studio that ported Valkyria Chronicles?

They're not listed for Bayonetta.

Little Stone (one guy from there anyway) is listed in the actual Bayo credits, just not on the store page. I guess we'll see if Vanquish is the same or not in a few weeks.

data

It would make sense if it was mostly Platinum making the Bayonetta port with a bit of help from Little Stones, while Vanquish was mostly done by Little Stones, the sys reqs for Vanquish are lower than those for Bayonetta even though it had a higher fps than Vanquish on the 360. They were probably being made at the same time.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1366639.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Vd1j7n6.png

Mystery gift -- MB-384E5A4D81E5EC49 - Taken by Dangerblade

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1366639.

I7Ufybq.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-A5CA3D4665C469D3 - Taken by MaxiLive

You're not doing badly to start, it just takes practice. Eyes is kind of a hard character to start with...Crystal is best for a newcomer, imo, but if you're having success with Eyes, keep at it. I think the main thing is to really just stick with one character for a long time and put them through their paces so that certain things become muscle memory.

Knurek

Why is Trails 3rd so good?
By all accounts it's just a massive fandisk, and yet it plays better than FC and SC.
Also, for a dungeon crawler, having several hour+ long story scenes/visual novel segments shouldn't make sense, and yet it does here.
Amazing game. Criminally undersold, like most other XSEED games.

Tizoc

I also picked up the Vanishing of Ethan Carter from Humble Bundle in the past day or so. $3 is an all-time low (I think), and I've really wanted to play it.

If you want something 'lighter' in the terms of Twin Stick Shooters, check out Shock Troopers. If you have it via Humblebundle, then you have access to the original Neo Geo game and I could PM you a guide to setting up an emulator to run it.

Ascheroth

By all accounts it's just a massive fandisk, and yet it plays better than FC and SC.
Also, for a dungeon crawler, having several hour+ long story scenes/visual novel segments shouldn't make sense, and yet it does here.
Yeah, it's fantastic.
It's structure wouldn't make sense or work in any other game, but it works absolutely perfect here.

Nah you're alright there, cos I simply wouldn't touch Destiny with a barge pole :p

In all seriousness though, why do people keep freaking out about Destiny not coming to Steam? I've seen no real evidence against it coming to Steam.

It is strange it's been officially announced/up for preorder in stores and consoles but no Steam page is avail yet on such a large game (COD: WWII went up the day it was announced), although I'm expecting an official page after the gameplay reveal on May 18th since it's supposed to include details specific to the PC version. There's been no mention of Steam in any of the reveal information so it's not a guarantee it's coming, but I wouldn't be surprised and would want it on Steam, for sure.

I think the true experience of Destiny is in the raids; they're unlike anything I've really played before, especially in a FPS. They're the reason people are still playing daily almost 3 years later.

Tonton

Time to start learning Japanese for Zero and Ao

DocSeuss

Where's a good place to get steam icons? I tried Steam Banners and Steam Grids and neither had the game I'm looking for, which is SOCOM: Navy Seals - Combined Assault.

Grief.exe

Where's a good place to get steam icons? I tried Steam Banners and Steam Grids and neither had the game I'm looking for, which is SOCOM: Navy Seals - Combined Assault.

It's more difficult to find emulated games that aren't on Steam.

Try making your own. Find a good title image, than shrink it down to 460x215.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Steam Grid DB has images for a bunch of PS2 games but absolutely nothing for SOCOM. You'll likely have a hard time chasing down images for emulated titles that aren't beloved.

Yup.

Still quietly hoping that it ties into Borderlands 3 somehow. (And that Borderlands 3 is written entirely by TellTale.)

I think it would at very least have some call backs since (ep4 spoilers)
scooter dies. itll probably be just be that woman mechanic unless the retcon his death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom