• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November II 2014 - Autumn Sale starts the 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

I'm still hooked on Ass Unity. It's a bummer switching to FC4 after playing it when FC4 looks like a generation behind Unity in terms of shaders.

You wait until you get to Rogue then. It has all the trappings of a last gen game technicaly and visually but it's one of the best Ass Creeds I've got sucked into.

Put it this way I've just finished Sequence 2 and already I've already done 3 open ended assassinstaion missions with various effective options to get the job done, visited a whole host of new locations in both the snowy North Atlantic and the River Valley which is more Northern Territories themed, having a bit more variety than most of the previous games (Sleepy Hollow was a nice stop over where the church is the Viewpoint and the stock Red Coat scarecrow we've seen in III and Black Flag has got a pumpkin head makeover). The dialogue between Shay and his 1st mate that happens after missions whilst sailing to the next has cut down on exposition cutscenes and kept the pace up of the story as well as developing their characters (with a few witty exchanges as well), plus experienced one of the best free running set pieces the series has to offer with some decent context behind it and only now have I just got into New York which is the same size as it was in III but teaming with life, not half fallen down and has the inclusion of Gang Hideouts which are like mini Far Cry fortresses to liberate and meet a whole cast a characters from III and IV.

That's not touching of the new gameplay mechanics leveraged from the discarded multiplayer, ship combat upgrades, collectables or pressent day stuff which is the same slant of Black Flag but seems to be even more selfaware and taking a few snipes at Ubi themselves. So yeah all that and I've just scratched the surface. Fingers crossed when this gets a PC release next year that can help clean it up a bit but from a gameplay stand point I'm more than chuffed already.

Some CS:Go players on public servers feel like kids.
I mean burping/farting sounds?
Playing some music?
Have some laughtrack playing when they kill someone?

Come on...

Put it this way I've just finished Sequence 2 and already I've already done 3 open ended assassinstaion missions with various effective options to get the job done

Strangely AC:Unity doesnt have those or at least not like how they were talking about it. If you cant follow a NPC, you just get a new objective "Go to this place".

Ruruja

Playing some music?

Come on...

I'm sure they are kids and you would probably do the same when you were that age.

I remember one time I had an 'argument' with someone on Teamspeak with me just using a Jack Black soundboard in like 2004. It was funny at the time.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
You wait until you get to Rogue then. It has all the trappings of a last gen game technicaly and visually but it's one of the best Ass Creeds I've got sucked into.

Put it this way I've just finished Sequence 2 and already I've already done 3 open ended assassinstaion missions with various effective options to get the job done, visited a whole host of new locations in both the snowy North Atlantic and the River Valley which is more Northern Territories themed, having a bit more variety than most of the previous games (Sleepy Hollow was a nice stop over where the church is the Viewpoint and the stock Red Coat scarecrow we've seen in III and Black Flag has got a pumpkin head makeover). The dialogue between Shay and his 1st mate that happens after missions whilst sailing to the next has cut down on exposition cutscenes and kept the pace up of the story as well as developing their characters (with a few witty exchanges as well), plus experienced one of the best free running set pieces the series has to offer with some decent context behind it and only now have I just got into New York which is the same size as it was in III but teaming with life, not half fallen down and has the inclusion of Gang Hideouts which are like mini Far Cry fortresses to liberate and meet a whole cast a characters from III and IV.

That's not touching of the new gameplay mechanics leveraged from the discarded multiplayer, ship combat upgrades, collectables or pressent day stuff which is the same slant of Black Flag but seems to be even more selfaware and taking a few snipes at Ubi themselves. So yeah all that and I've just scratched the surface. Fingers crossed when this gets a PC release next year that can help clean it up a bit but from a gameplay stand point I'm more than chuffed already.
iHdLzmli4YWJH.gif

Zafir

I'll grab it when it comes out on PC next year.

I do still have my PS3 hooked up for the Japanese who are a decade behind in games development, but I'd rather not play games on it. I've been graphically spoilt thanks to my PC. :/

I'm sure they are kids and you would probably do the same when you were that age.

I remember one time I had an 'argument' with someone on Teamspeak with me just using a Jack Black soundboard in like 2004. It was funny at the time.

I have been playing since 1.3 casually and thats probably 12/13 years ago. Even then I never understood people who used it and I was 14/15 during that time.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
So I'm trying to finish Dark Souls II now, is there any mage armor that doesn't look like a torn rag? I'm slightly disappointed that most other "classes" (or playstyles) get some really awesome looking stuff whil I run around in what looks like an old kitchen towel on my head and not much else.

Playing some music?

Come on...

I'd be happy to tell you I never did that but I did the same stuff when I was 13 in CS 1.6
I was just the funniest thing in the world to me.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, if they're bringing GZ/5 to PC, 3 and PW are directly connected to those.
PW is crucial to GZ/TPP's story though, wouldn't make sense to leave it out, don't really see what makes you consider it optional when the MGS games we're about to get on Steam are a direct sequel to it.

To be honest, it's mostly because I don't particularly care for PW, but GZ has a short written prologue that essentially contains all the information you need to know from PW anyway, making it more of an optional thing instead of something mandatory to enjoy GZ/5 :p

If I remember right, it basically summarizes the entirety of PW in 3 slides, too.

This just makes me wish that we got Rogue instead of Unity :/

Parsnip

Was AC Freedom Cry good? I was kind of expecting it to be garbage because how could Ubisoft possibly treat the material in any respectful way, so I didn't follow it. But I may grab the standalone version if it's good.

That's not touching of the new gameplay mechanics leveraged from the discarded multiplayer

Could you elaborate on this?

I haven't been too interested in Rogue, but got slightly curious after watching part of the GB quicklook and when
Achilles
shows up and I realized when it takes place, it's now on my radar.

Also, Unity is good. I like it.

Was AC Freedom Cry good? I was kind of expecting it to be garbage because how could Ubisoft possibly treat the material in any respectful way, so I didn't follow it. But I may grab the standalone version if it's good.

Its okay. Its more or less some missions for Black Flag and plays almost the same. If you just do the story-stuff I would say its also quite short, but if you want to collect everything, it might be 5-6 hours.

Tecl0n

So I'm trying to finish Dark Souls II now, is there any mage armor that doesn't look like a torn rag? I'm slightly disappointed that most other "classes" (or playstyles) get some really awesome looking stuff whil I run around in what looks like an old kitchen towel on my head and not much else.

'tis the fate of the glass cannon.

milena87

Awesome. Can't wait to get Rogue on PC then :)

komorebi

Have there been any patches for AC Unity that would warrant a purchase? I loved Black Flag and would like to try Unity when its reasonably stable.

Have there been any patches for AC Unity that would warrant a purchase? I loved Black Flag and would like to try Unity when its reasonably stable.

It still feels like a broken mess. Broken fighting animations, bad performance and tons of bugs.

I am enjoying the game though. If you liked the AC2 trilogy, AC:U feels really similar.

jblank83

Same here. I've been holding off on replaying it until its fully removed. Not sure if this has been discussed but will Dsfix get borked with this update?

Good question.

I know the 60fps portion will no longer work, per Durante. The rest of it seems safe, but I don't know if it will require a new version. Here's what he had to say in the topic about it on gaming side.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139667914&postcount=431

Another question is whether it can just be run through GeDoSaTo instead.

GODDAMN Insurgency is so fucking good, I swear.

The nighttime maps with nightvision on seems like you are playing war footage.

CoD ain't got shit on this. I daresay its even more fun than CS:GO.

komorebi

It still feels like a broken mess. Broken fighting animations, bad performance and tons of bugs.

I am enjoying the game though. If you liked the AC2 trilogy, AC:U feels really similar.

I'll wait for some more patches then. Might be able to get it a bit cheaper during the winter sale anyway.

Dr Dogg

http://i.minus.com/iHdLzmli4YWJH.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

That's about the sum of it for me. I don't think I've rated a mission less than 3 stars yet and even the one tailing mission I've done was really enjoyable. The level design is quite go and there's always at least one traversal based path that has been planned out perfectly. I've had no awkward falls or jumps to the wrong section. Then again this isn't exactly my first or even fith rodeo.

[quote="Zafir, post: 140068144"]I'll grab it when it comes out on PC next year.

I do still have my PS3 hooked up for the Japanese who are a decade behind in games development, but I'd rather not play games on it. I've been graphically spoilt thanks to my PC. :/[/QUOTE]

[quote="BinaryPork2737, post: 140068861"]
This just makes me wish that we got Rogue instead of Unity :/[/QUOTE]

Personally I wish I waited for the PC release as it's a bit rough in places that even a modest PC would see to over the aging consoles. Still I had to have something to fill the void of a new AC this year.

[quote="Parsnip, post: 140068894"]
Could you elaborate on this?

I haven't been too interested in Rogue, but got slightly curious after watching part of the GB quicklook and when [spoiler]Achilles[/spoiler] shows up and I realized when it takes place, it's now on my radar.[/QUOTE]

Sure. At about the point where I've got to you are now siding with the Templars (well Shay is sort of inbetwix inbetween at the time being) and one of the first missions teaches you the mechanics whilst cleaing out an Assassin's lead Gang Hideout. In this instance you're after the Hideout leader but whilst out and about you have Assassin stalkers on you. You know there presence by the Whispers that were used in the multi. The circualr threat meter that appeared in Eagle Vision during the multi makes an appearance so when you hear the Whispers, switch to Eagle Vsion and the treat meter appears, you then can locate them and have a handle on the location of your Assassin stalker. Of course the fun way comes how you chose to deal with them as you can use all maner of tools to dispatch them (the air rifle with firecracker rounds aimed at a near by barrel is my preffered method!). But also they can spot you and stike first so another returning multiplayer mechanic that you can counter them if you notice their approach beforehand.

If you liked III and IV then Rogue so far perfectly rounds them out as a great trilogy (and Liberation as well). It actaully is making me want to return to III and finish off the Homestead missions I stupidly skipped out on

Kiru

Wearing gas masks in WW1 Verdun is also dope!

Parsnip

Sure. At about the point where I've got to you are now siding with the Templars (well Shay is sort of inbetwix inbetween at the time being) and one of the first missions teaches you the mechanics whilst cleaing out an Assassin's lead Gang Hideout. In this instance you're after the Hideout leader but whilst out and about you have Assassin stalkers on you. You know there presence by the Whispers that were used in the multi. The circualr threat meter that appeared in Eagle Vision during the multi makes an appearance so when you hear the Whispers, switch to Eagle Vsion and the treat meter appears, you then can locate them and have a handle on the location of your Assassin stalker. Of course the fun way comes how you chose to deal with them as you can use all maner of tools to dispatch them (the air rifle with firecracker rounds aimed at a near by barrel is my preffered method!). But also they can spot you and stike first so another returning multiplayer mechanic that you can counter them if you notice their approach beforehand.

If you liked III and IV then Rogue so far perfectly rounds them out as a great trilogy (and Liberation as well). It actaully is making me want to return to III and finish off the Homestead missions I stupidly skipped out on
This sounds pretty neat.

I actually haven't had a lot of glitches or anything, not more than any other AC in the past at least. The performance could be better, but I've settled on settings that give me a solid enough framerate most of the time too, so it's been kind of smooth sailing.

But YMMV.

My man! From a dude that bought Insurgency day 1 it's great to see more people giving it a chance and populating servers.

Wearing gas masks in WW1 Verdun is also dope!

Yep. Its on my wishlist.

I'm glad the semi-realistic shooter is coming back. Red Orchestra really set the tone for this type of shooter, and Insurgency has brought it forwards in time, while Verdun took it back.

Really loving the variety.

I don't think I can go back to a military shooter with crosshairs and a HUD again.

Insurgency is the first time I've felt the maps to be real places in a shooter, not "video game map". Its Source engine, so no real bells and whistles but it feels more real than other better looking shooters. Something about the architecture and sprawling-ness of the maps really feels right. And the attachment system is fucking perfection. Fuck perks and killstreaks this is the real shit.

My man! From a dude that bought Insurgency day 1 it's great to see more people giving it a chance and populating servers.

Yup, its a testament to the quality of the game. For something practically given away for free en masse, its really come into its own. Servers are always populated and everyone is loving it. A lesser game would have been abandoned by now once the novelty wore off. Should have launched at $10, might have gotten more sales, because the gameplay is legit.

You want to look at a long list of offline usernames? That's how mine has been since Battlefield 3 really. Even BF4 failed to give it much life.
Heh, I suppose there's really no point but it's just weird to log on and see one person online compared to steam where there are dozens.

Yep. Its on my wishlist.

I'm glad the semi-realisticshooter is coming back. Red Orchestra really set the tone for this type of shooter, and Insurgency has brought it forwards in time, while verdun took it back.

Really loving the variety.

I don't think I can go back to a shooter with crosshairs and a HUD again.

Insurgency is the first time I've felt the maps to be real places in a shooter, not "video game map". Its Source engine, so no real bells and whistles but it feels more real than other better looking shooters. Something about the architecture and sprawling-ness of the maps really feels right.

I agree, tactical shooters are about all I play these days. You should look into Arma 3 and BF2 Project Reality mod if you haven't already, both are great TFPS.

fallout

I remember playing the mod years ago and thinking how great the lack of a kill confirmation was. There was quite a bit of backlash and they eventually put it back in the game.

I agree, tactical shooters are about all I play these days. You should look into Arma 3 and BF2 Project Reality mod if you haven't already, both are great TFPS.

I've played a bit of BF2:pR. The fact that Insurgency co-op is a spiritual successor to the old SWAT/Rainbow Six games, in addition to the amazing PvP is mindblowing. Makes it amazing value.

Btw how can one check steam player numbers for a game over its lifetime, I'd like to see some Insurgency stats 'n graphs.

Yup, my favorite type of shooters also.

Exactly! ARMA is too heady for me and CoD is just.....meh. These types of shootbangs really hit the sweet spot IMO.

Corrosivefrost thought he could quietly hide his shame in the previous thread before it is closed. Not so fast!

There's absolutely nothing that FFXIII does better than VC. VC obviously has vastly superior gameplay, more intricate systems, and a more unique art style. It has a better story, more likeable characters, and more replay value. Its port is also much better.

Now, I see that you put a "for me" in there, but this is one of those rare cases where an opinion is objeectively wrong :p

Sorry, but no.
It's stlil subjective... and from where I'm sitting, I have no shame to hide, sir. I put 120 hours into the platinum trophy for FFXIII on PS3 and didn't even buy VC until it came to PC. The only reason I did buy it on PC was to show Sega they should port console games to PC because I want Bayonetta and Vanquish. I will probably never play the game because what little patience I had for SRPGs has long since passed. If I wanted to play an RPG and my choice was between these two games, I would play FFXIII again before I decided to play VC.

So for me, the character designs, visual style, and core gameplay of FF13 literally fucking DECIMATE VC all day, everyday. And the funny thing is, I like anime... this just happens to be one of the times that I don't like the particular style of the anime.

Makes sense to have at least MGS 1-3/Peace Walker for PC gamers that missed out on this story-heavy series. 4 was rather bleh, but welcome nonetheless.

I don't like you (as much) any more.
But at least you didn't say "meh". :p

Awesome. Can't wait to get Rogue on PC then :)

Sounds good to me... I haven't even gotten that far in the series and need to play through a few games before I'm up to it (not sure where it comes in storywise for present day -- if it's before or after Unity... but if that's not a factor, I'd probably still need to knock out Brotherhood, Revelations, AC3, and AC4 before I get to Rogue... :\

Good question.

I know the 60fps portion will no longer work, per Durante. The rest of it seems safe, but I don't know if it will require a new version. Here's what he had to say in the topic about it on gaming side.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139667914&postcount=431

Another question is whether it can just be run through GeDoSaTo instead.

I told you it broke dsfix and that's why nobody is using/talking about it. ;)

Yeah, but what isn't? :p

---

Hey, Crimsonclaw (I think)...
Flawless widescreen fixed their TEW plugin and you can now use it to fix the FOV.
I think I'll be playing and finishing up TEW this week then, hopefully. :D

So for me, the character designs, visual style, and core gameplay of FF13 literally fucking DECIMATE VC all day, everyday. And the funny thing is, I like anime... this just happens to be one of the times that I don't like the particular style of the anime.
VC is a infinitely superior game to the boredom that is FFXIII.

Dr Dogg

This sounds pretty neat.

Only gripe I think I'll have is that it might be a tad short. Well I say short, the main story is 6 (well sort of) Sequences long and will probably be about 10 hours in length. Then with all the side content it would probably be about half to two thirds the length of Black Flag. So not short in the conventional sense for most games but compared to thr more recent AC's it seems to be a bit. But then it's not wasting any time as right after the very first mission you have a ship and can go almost anywhere you want right off the bat. Plus having two big open water spaces in the North Atlantic and the River Valley, with various settlements and villages to explore and scourer for collectables as well as the big city of New York to clear out and resotre there's a fair bit to travel around.

Plus the new ship upgrades like the rapid fire puckle guns and the fire barrel replacement that is now burning oil that you can leave a deadly trail or encircle your enemy with. Then again a couple of blasts with the front mounted carronades cripples most smaller ships in a burst. But if you want to be sneaky you can even use icebergs to your advantage. You can use them to block the sight lines or even better destory it with a burst of your canons and cause a ripple wave which will damage enemy ships and outright sink smaller ones like gunboats. Plus theres a few more upgrades I haven't even got yet (just on that mission now). Plus Keyway's Fleet is back but tells the history of The Seven Years War in the process (well in AC's way of a history 'lesson').

Yeah I'll shut up now but needless to say Rogue is packed to the gills with stuff to do and doesn't faff around giving you new toys to play with at every turn.

maneil99

I remember playing the mod years ago and thinking how great the lack of a kill confirmation was. There was quite a bit of backlash and they eventually put it back in the game.

I believe it's delayed now, or maybe I am thinking of RO2

Turfster

Huh. I have a game on my wishlist that's "disappeared", store page and everything.
I don't wishlist abject shit, tho, so...

The problem with putting everything that's sort of interesting but you don't want to get offered again in the shitty discovery queue is that you end up with a 200 item long wishlist... and then you can't remember what the hell it was.

Sigh.
I wish the discovery queue had been implemented in a better way (how about an "interested but not necessarily for the wishlist" tier, Valve?) so I could have kept my wishlist compacter, like it used to be =p

Anteater

Sorry, but no.
It's stlil subjective... and from where I'm sitting, I have no shame to hide, sir. I put 120 hours into the platinum trophy for FFXIII on PS3 and didn't even buy VC until it came to PC. The only reason I did buy it on PC was to show Sega they should port console games to PC because I want Bayonetta and Vanquish. I will probably never play the game because what little patience I had for SRPGs has long since passed. If I wanted to play an RPG and my choice was between these two games, I would play FFXIII again before I decided to play VC.

well at least you like vanquish ;)

I guess I can't really blame you, after 120 hours of FF13 anyone's brain would turn to mush.

Ha. One could probably say the same of someone declaring M&MX their GOTY. :p

And here I thought the man who became legend for adding wonderous options to the port of Dark Souls would be a shoe-in to choose the sequel, especially after creating the black magic of GeDoSaTo...

VC is a infinitely superior game to the boredom that is FFXIII.

You have no say here, sir. You thought Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate was *good*. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom