• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November II 2014 - Autumn Sale starts the 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

if nobody is willing to write about FF13-2, I might.

Just incase anyone's looking for something to write about, here's some of the notable PC releases next month that aren't already claimed.

FFXIII-2

Sorry bit late on this. Actually I was tempted to do a recommendation for FF XIII-2 to go with my one for XIII (and then put the whole thing to bed with Lightning Returns) but enthusiasm is running a bit low. I'm bagsying AC Rogue the moment it get's a release date mind as I can't shut up about that game at the moment.

well at least you like vanquish ;)

I love Vanquish -- I was 1 trophy away from platinum and I just... I put it down for awhile hoping some distance would do me good and now I don't really play my PS3 anymore. :\

well you know he's not a horrible human being

Hey now... I know I got on your badside with those remarks about drinking, but this is uncalled for. I am a horribly awful terrible no good low down dirty rotten jerk and I'll thank you to remember that.

In my defense I lowered it to "fun" after finishing it :p

Fair point.
It's stlil probably better than Strider 2014, based off the strength of the story/cutscenes and the presence of Batman.

The Insurgency store page say "Offline practice mode, playing with bots on all game modes."

I can't get this to work. The Train vs. AI option in training tab just loads the one map and one gamemode every time.

Anteater

I love Vanquish -- I was 1 trophy away from platinum and I just... I put it down for awhile hoping some distance would do me good and now I don't really play my PS3 anymore. :\

I only played vanquish twice actually, hard > god hard and never played the challenges, I think overall it's not as balanced as other PG or Capcom games, but vanquish however is the hardest game PG has made and I would play it again on steam. You're good people for liking it, because it was a lot of fun, it's like a mix of ninja gaiden with tps and I hated ninja gaiden :p

well you know he's not a horrible human being

indeed!

Ha. One could probably say the same of someone declaring M&MX their GOTY. :p

Not to mention when he declared image quality > framerate.

Or blondes > brunettes
Or Nolan > Kubrick
Or personality > # of Steam-games

I think it's safe to say that Durante is not the superhuman we were led to believe.

Some parts of this post are possibly made up

Volimar

Pfffff, redheads > all

tumblr_ly25l8ee4q1qkqd21_large.gif

zkylon

zkylewd
Not to mention when he declared image quality > framerate.

Or blondes > brunettes
Or Nolan > Kubrick
Or personality > # of Steam-games

I think it's safe to say that Durante is not the superhuman we were led to believe.

Some parts of this post are possibly made up
so much wrong there

Hey now... I know I got on your badside with those remarks about drinking, but this is uncalled for. I am a horribly awful terrible no good low down dirty rotten jerk and I'll thank you to remember that.

make me

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

... and a douche nozzle :p

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh, and guys, I was wondering. KOF 98 UM was supposed to come out this month, right? But, I guess that there isn't anything official yet?

Thanks for reminding me. Yeah, it's supposed to be out this week... I think.

@Corrosive: Sorry, dude. But FF13 is straight up terrible. Valk Chron is at least refreshing and not a clone in the vein of Tatics Ogre (Final Fantasy Tactics, Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth [Which wasn't that great, BTW], Disgaea, et. al.)/grid-based one-turn-per-unit systems for a "SRPG."

It's more an "Action Role-Playing Game with light 'Strategy' fare." If I had to recommend one over the other, it'd be VC1 anyday even to people that hate "anime."

Arthea

Sorry bit late on this. Actually I was tempted to do a recommendation for FF XIII-2 to go with my one for XIII (and then put the whole thing to bed with Lightning Returns) but enthusiasm is running a bit low. I'm bagsying AC Rogue the moment it get's a release date mind as I can't shut up about that game at the moment.

you really should write this! I mean about 13-2, you know I'm too lazy for this kind of stuff, but if you insist, I'll try

It just didn't hit the right notes for me. Too bloated for my taste, but just like 2 it's a polarizing game. MG2, Solids 1&3 are my faves in the franchise. I'm hoping GZ/TPP live up to those.

Everyone praises 3, but that's the one I don't understand -- MGS4 wasn't all it could've been, specifically with act 3, but there were some really cool parts between acts 1, 2, 4, and 5.

they're disgusting

Now you guys are just being mean. I may be a jerk, I may not have a soul, but I'm still capable of feeling. :(

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Man I am still getting used to this thread being in Community. Finally I had to have it as a start page lol.

So the Autumn Sale is for Thanksgiving weekend right?

@Corrosive: Sorry, dude. But FF13 is straight up terrible. Valk Chron is at least refreshing and not a clone in the vein of Tatics Ogre (Final Fantasy Tactics, Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth [Which wasn't that great, BTW], Disgaea, et. al.)/grid-based one-turn-per-unit systems for a "SRPG."

It's more an "Action Role-Playing Game with light 'Strategy' fare." If I had to recommend one over the other, it'd be VC1 anyday even to people that hate "anime."

It also treats its material pretty maturely. There are those random moments of pigs with wings and vegetable fetishism, but the vivisection of something so large as a World War is done well.

Corrosive, give it a go if you haven't already. I'm like you when it comes to SRPGs lately, in that I just don't have time or patience for the grinding nature... this plays differently.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It also treats its material pretty maturely. There are those random moments of pigs with wings and vegetable fetishism, but the vivisection of something so large as a World War is done well.

Corrosive, give it a go if you haven't already. I'm like you when it comes to SRPGs lately, in that I just don't have time or patience for the grinding nature... this plays differently.

O-R-D-E-R
R
D
E
R

AWAKEN POTENTIAL: WELKIN GUNTER~~~~~

POTENTIAL: "YEAH! VEG-TA-BLES!"

(Try to move)

(Try to move)

(I dunno if that's a bug in the PC version or if I don't remember this happening in the PS3 version but geez)

Miguel81

Everyone praises 3, but that's the one I don't understand -- MGS4 wasn't all it could've been, specifically with act 3, but there were some really cool parts between acts 1, 2, 4, and 5.

Part 3 just went all out on the feels, and a lot of gamers love that shit(me included). Young Ocelot, Eva, The Boss, and a really gritty style added a lot to it.
Edit: Also one of the most WTF boss battles I had experienced up to that point.

MGS4 Act 4 was ace-quality, and hit you in the emotional gut right off the bat. It's imperative that people play the series in order, or they'll miss out on this chit.

MGS4 is a FOR FANS ONLY game.
A player that doesn't know this saga and starts to play MGS4, will hate Solid Snake and the whole franchise either (and yes, this is a fact, because when MGS4 was released a lot of people that didn't know MGS bought the game, because it was a PS3 killer application etc.)
Kojima released it just because fans asked for it, and he furfilled all plot holes and remaining fact since Metal Gear 1.
I personally love the game, but I can understand why some people just hate it.

People who didn't like MGS4 were never MGS fans to begin with. The game is the culmination of everything that makes Kojima's saga his magnum opus.

Tellaerin

So last night I finally got around to finishing Portal. (Yeah, the first one. I had gotten up to around test chamber 17 and just stopped for some reason, and I never got back to it. I think my last savegame was from around October 2012.)

My final assessment? "Hey, that was pretty neat." I had completely forgotten that you could pick up things with the portal gun, so there was one point where I'd pushed a cube over to a pressure pad half a stage away and couldn't get it to go onto the pad, and I was going nuts trying to figure out what the hell I was doing wrong. That was amusing in retrospect. (At the time, maybe not so much.) It also struck me that Valve really has a thing for antiseptic-yet-vaguely-sinister industrial design in their games. Makes me wonder if their art staff had bad experiences with office parks as children or something.

So now I've had my cake, I've freed up a little HD space, and I've scratched something else off of the queue. Booyah.

jblank83

People who didn't like MGS4 were never MGS fans to begin with. The game is the culmination of everything that makes Kojima's saga his magnum opus.

More like his magnum poopus.

I'm looking forward to MGS V, though. I hope it breaks from the endless inane melodrama, pseudo scientific philosobabble, and 1 hour cutscenes.

Absolutely, MGS4 is the best MGS to date in my opinion, it perfects the gameplay and is just the ultimate fan service game for MGS fans and people that are interested in the story.

EDIT: I also want to add that I beat MGS4 16 times, it was that good, all the difficulties, all the emblems, everything, it was so infinitely playable for me, it's probably my favorite game on PS3 honestly.

So I'm guessing GOG Galaxy will come out this week? Since The Witcher Adventure Game does, and that should use Galaxy (and it apparently also has achievements).

So wait, people have to like MGS4 to be considered MGS fans?

Guess I have to stop being an MGS fan then. *shrug*

It confuses me because the game features all of the same elements in the series that people either love/hate; nanomachines, melodrama, soliloquies about war and humanity and all that.

Plus it delivers exceptional fan service and some really fun boss fights.

Miguel81

So wait, people have to like MGS4 to be considered MGS fans?

Guess I have to stop being an MGS fan then. *shrug*

Heh, I'll continue being disappointed with 4 and still being a big fan of the series. The game is disjointed, even though some sections and moments are superb. It's supposed to be fan service, but not for my kind of fan it seems.

Edit: It's still worth playing as part of the series to newcomers, and it might click with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom