• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2016 - A month where 100 games launch rather than coming out earlier

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Its the monster they created. Hate the game not the player. Im sure I can come up with a few more clichés :p

nah the saddest part is that you're being pretty reasonable

i just very much dislike this world of thinking way too much about this stuff

Sch1sm

So I just wasted $5.49 CDN?

Oh god. What have I done...

I love what I've seen and read of it, and I liked your view on the game! I'm excited to hop into the experience and see what I get out of it and see where it leads.

YMMV, pal. Play it, and if it isn't for you by the 2 hour mark, refunds are an option. But, it's cheap, so. Not much of a loss if you can afford to lose CDN$5.49.

I also prefer the ending variants in Oxenfree to the ones in TWD: Season One, even if they are relatively minor compared to the two major choices that heavily impact the ending.

I mean, the endings, aside from the two I mentioned, aren't really extreme. That's how I feel, anyway. They have some impact on the ending, but, for instance, I had the ideal ending where everyone lives and no one is gypped, and
Alex still manages to never or rarely ever speak to Ren, Nona, or Clarissa
. Imagine, I did nothing that resulted in these characters
hating her for her choices
, and the only thing I can think of is
I didn't really encourage or discourage a relationship between Nona and Ren

The dialogue could have been handled better, there were definitely times where I just stood around waiting for the conversations to end because I didn't want to miss anything. I didn't get bored by it, but I would have preferred if the conversations didn't end because of screen transitions. I didn't have any problem with the pacing, though the save system wasn't great, there should have been a manual save option, or the game should have saved upon exit. I had to redo an entire sequence (
the one where Ren is possessed up in the mountain
) because I quit the game after completing that segment without the game auto-saving.

It wasn't all boring. Some of it made the characters more 3D, Alex and Jonas especially. In terms of the others? I didn't feel any advancement drawn from it. A little resentment with the right mean choice, but nothing gripping. Just drivel.

The sequence I had to redo was the one when they're onto the station to open up the bomb shelter, so I think the same one.
I had to quit because of work, came back and was so bored going through it again because of how long it takes just to get through the whole,
Ren just jumped off the bridge and is now dead, except whoops, now he isn't, go talk to him on the phone

So, the anomalies. They were mostly there to flesh out some of the game's backstory, and I ended up liking them.
A few of them suggest that the events taking place on the island have happened to other people. One of them references the mysterious disappearance and reappearance of a kid, which feeds into the possession/alternate dimension plotline. Another references how radio waves work, which is related to how Anna and the other spirits trapped in the other dimension communicate with Alex's dimension). Another one is related to Maggie and a park ranger who was hinted at being driven to suicide by the spirits as a form of revenge against Maggie.
The anomalies aren't necessary, but they help flesh out the game's narrative a little. The morse code messages hidden around the island do the same, and they're also pretty neat.

You really have to think about them to make anything of it, in some cases. Research is even necessary for others, if you're feeling that much into it (e.g. 94.3). I wrote them down and searched while playing, and I'll pull them up here. I only agree with the middle of the 3 mentioned here.

Makes sense: 91.5, 94.3 (only after the little
game at Adler's house
), 97.9 (parallel to the submarine in-game), 99.9 (potentially to do with possession, still a question mark?), 100.3 (p much what the ghosts tell the group), 101.1, 103.5, 104.7, 105.1.
What on Earth: 89.9 (maybe the cave on the island,
but the ghosts didn't really touch anyone in Alex's group, right?
), 103.5 ("year long battle with depression",
but with how quickly they took to Jonas in a single night, why would the Warden be so hard to crack? A year? Ehhhh. Also seems they were obsessed with gaining host bodies than driving people to death, or they'd kill more quickly if a person refused to quit fighting
), 106.7 (maybe referencing the tape player in Adler's basement, but even then I'm not sure what the purpose is).

I also appreciated the time loops, I thought they were handled well although I understand why some people dislike time loops in general. They didn't feel like the totems from Until Dawn because they didn't really foreshadow anything.

That's what I'm essentially saying, though. They didn't foreshadow anything. They felt like copouts more than anything, because they weren't ever going to happen. Like elements that they could have made happen story, which I believe would have enhanced that thriller/horror portion significantly, avoided for whatever reason - like a must have happy ending.

The loops are supposed to be frustrating, which is why Alex gets increasingly irritated with them over the course of the game. As I said, I completely understand why you didn't like them.
It's also arguable whether or not those were time loops or if they were alternate universes that Alex's consciousness was somehow transported between. I mean they were probably just loops, but that theory is still cool and meshes well with the hidden new game plus ending.

Interesting!
I like the sound of that theory,
but I feel
they made it very obvious when it came to Alex going into her past
? At the very least, there's the fact that those
back in time segments with Michael didn't loop like that, nor were they as short as those "premonitions"
when she saw Red drowning or when Clarissa died those times in the facilities by Milner Outpost.
The idea of an
alternate universe/consciousness doesn't fit, imo, if only because she doesn't pass out like she does when the Michael bits pop up. Just loops, to me. Juuuust loops.

Snipped things we agreed on, but for the most part it comes down to preference, I feel.

It's annoying that I got free Gears 1-Judgement and can't enjoy them very much due to being stuck on Xbox BC. Why can't they just bring that over to the garbage Xbox app?

kevin1025

Banned
YMMV, pal. Play it, and if it isn't for you by the 2 hour mark, refunds are an option. But, it's cheap, so. Not much of a loss if you can afford to lose CDN$5.49..

I definitely won't refund if I don't like it. From the Steam trailer that won me over, they should earn every cent, I loved it.

I really look forward to investing time into this :)

It's annoying that I got free Gears 1-Judgement and can't enjoy them very much due to being stuck on Xbox BC. Why can't they just bring that over to the garbage Xbox app?

That's what Xbox streaming is for!

Do they allow Xbox BC on streaming...?

I definitely won't refund if I don't like it. From the Steam trailer that won me over, they should earn every cent, I loved it.

I really look forward to investing time into this :)

That's what Xbox streaming is for!

Do they allow Xbox BC on streaming...?

Doesn't fix the framerate or PC controls for shooters...

And btw this app store is shit I still can't activate offline mode.

zkylon

zkylewd
am i the only one that thinks steam looks MUCH better in purple?

OKUhOdc.png

u should make coloring steam ur next project jschakles

Monooboe

Damn, been waiting for LISA to go on sale but it's 100% more than the lowests it's been.

Also, what's the deal with CrossCode, I know I got it from some bundle way back and I just assumed it was bundletrash but it actually looks awesome, I remember vaguely something about the dev not being happy being bundled?

Don't know if I should wait till it's finished or jump in during early access.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
3 days until game of the year hits Steam!! What a time to be alive, good people, what a time to be alive

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not always.

Mine defaults to external method even when I have steam credit.

I'm assuming you're talking about cases where your wallet balance is insufficient and so Steam automatically selects your saved payment method to cover the difference. That's still Steam Wallet being selected by default.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
After reading Erekiddo's post, I did think that perhaps Steam now defaults to a saved payment method, but, as usual, after clicking "Purchase for myself", I was taken straight to the confirmation page with my Steam Wallet balance and debit card automatically selected.

Edit: As a test, I just elected to use my saved debit card to pay for something my balance would have covered and Steam still automatically selected Steam Wallet when subsequently checking out. I'd guess Steam not selecting Steam Wallet by default in some cases is just a small bug.

Phinor

3 days until game of the year hits Steam!! What a time to be alive, good people, what a time to be alive

Actually Franchise Hockey Manager 3 should be coming to Steam in two days. Everyone is excited, right?! At least hype has been through the roof. There's literally been couple of posts in the internet about the game so far.

zhee?
It's weird for Bamco to use denuvo for the God Eater games but not for Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2. GE is much cheaper and a port of old PSP games, while Xeno 2 is a brand new game with $50 price tag. I thought they will be using denuvo for their games after GE. Are they doing some kind of A/B testing?

Maybe it'll come as one of their free updates.

I'm only half-kidding.
am i the only one that thinks steam looks MUCH better in purple?

OKUhOdc.png

u should make coloring steam ur next project jschakles

Everything looks better in purple, zky.

oipic

Yeah. PayPal is what mine is eventually defaulting to as well.

Likewise - even with sufficient wallet funds to cover the charge, PayPal is my default option.

It's been awhile since I've purchased directly via Steam, though, now that I think about it. Back in March, it seems (apologies, Mr Newell).

Raxious

Guys, quick question. The sale ends on November 1st. Does this mean it will end on November 1st at 19:"00 CEST right? Will be rewarding some of my students with steam games on Tuesday so it's nice if the sale would still be going on then :p

Guys, quick question. The sale ends on November 1st. Does this mean it will end on November 1st at 19:"00 CEST right? Will be rewarding some of my students with steam games on Tuesday so it's nice if the sale would still be going on then :p
Best teacher ever
unless you plan on gifting them bad rats

zkylon

zkylewd
idk i feel like witcha 3 works really good at 30 fps. i might try to do the same for the next open world game i play since i never find the gameplay in those too demanding

header.jpg

speaking of witcha, finished that first dlc, which was really good

they don't quite nail the landing on the story bits but overall it was a really enjoyable dlc with some very memorable scenes and some of my favorite content in all of witcha 3. the whole wedding part was great, as are both david beckham and gaunter and slowly getting to know them both.

at first i was a bit scared cos i think the dlc was looking like it was having a sort of gta structure of "do the bidding of this unpleasant person" but since olgierd is so charming and gaunter is so fucking shady, you kind of just want to see more of them

getting to see shani again was also really cool and i was super stoked you finally get to go to the damn oxenfurt academy. it's not even a big area or anything but it super annoyed me that in the main game that place was closed off, i was expecting any time i'd have to go there and it never happened and i was sure that they cut it or something, but idk, it just felt cool to go to this one place i was irking to go for a bunch of the game, even if it's just for my own weirdo curiosity reason

the spiders part is regrettable but a mod got rid of most of them, and the specter ones weren't that bad for me. they even get to throw in some cool boss encounters, altho it's still shitty witcha 3 combat so those are nowhere near as fun as one would hope

overall really enjoyable dlc

the other one looks pretty interesting too, i'm glad u get to visit a different region altho i'm worried it'll be lighter on main content and will fill its quota with like not-so-great side quests and stuff

Knurek

Durante, since you mentioned you use Wii U Pro controller on PC, anything needed to have that up and running?
Mayflash adapter is still needed, or is that WinUSoft tool enough?
No problems with calibration/pairing if you don't have the console?
Can the battery be charged with a standard microUSB cable/charger?
Is the controller worth the price? Or is it just better to buy a second DS4 (same price give or take a few €) and just keep one as a backup charge?
I envision mostly 2D/emulation use for it.

Kiru

I'm kinda annoyed that all Twitch Prime bonus games seem to be for their Twitch Launcher even though Steam versions exist. :(

Saty

Hmm...does Nvidia DSR work worse if my monitor is plugged in using single link DVI? Might this be the reason i wasn't impressed much with this feature?

Erebus

Hmm...does Nvidia DSR work worse if my monitor is plugged in using single link DVI? Might this be the reason i wasn't impressed much with this feature?
I don't see why it would be any different with DVI. And why aren't you impressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom