• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October II 2014 - PC Gaming: Getting a D in Yoga class

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did my part early this morning (I woke up at fucking 2:30am for some godawful reason) and bought Valkyria Chronicles via GMG.

I, too, did my part this morning, as well, in addition, conjointly.

Last time I played it, I ended up stopping midway for reasons I can't remember, and never went back. The gameplay and general presentation is great.

Shadownet

Banned
I would say YES, but I made the game so I am a little biased :D
I like detective games so I'll give this some more thoughts but regardless if I buy it or not. I just wanna say thank you for bringing a game into this world, we appreciate your hard works and congrats on this. :) I wish I could say I made a game.

louiedog

More or less, yeah. The reason it's (generally) faster is because there are less CPU overheads.

This is why I was excited for Mantle. I have a crap CPU and pretty decent AMD GPU. Too bad I played the games that got Mantle patched in before it happened...

It's a sign of a good game when it takes you almost 15 hours to finally get around to finishing the campaign and it still feels short and as if you didn't get enough of it. Mordor is one of those games, and i had a hell of a time with it.

think i'm going to play Ghostbusters next just because nothing says halloween like bustin'. Also, bustin' makes me feel good.

Grief.exe

So amd is better choice than nvidia at this moment ?

No, the 970 is kind of the elephant in the room for GPUs at the moment.

You either have to increase your budget to get to it, or decrease your budget to avoid wasting money.

There are some interesting rumors as far as AMD's response though.

AMD is not and has never been a better choice.
It's usually cheaper, I'll give them that.

False.

They are still very competitive on the GPU side, and their CPUs used to be excellent recommendations.

I used ATI card for a few years (XFX 6770):

If I remember correctly, the 6770 was rarely recommended. AMD obviously created a GPU to fill a price point, and the performance was bot competitive.

The 6870/6970 were often recommended and very competitive GPUs from that generation.

Durante

Edit: come on people, 4 minutes?

You ask because of Mantle support? I wouldn´t say so.
The thing about Mantle support is this: it improves CPU efficiency quite significantly compared to AMDs DirectX implementation, but in a large part that's because AMDs DirectX implementation is terribly inefficient.

Compare & contrast these 2 CPU limited scenarios:
http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Alien_Isolation_-test-alien_proz_amd.jpg
http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Alien_Isolation_-test-alien_proz_nv.jpg

Remember those 10-20% Mantle gains? Now look at the CPU performance difference between AMD DirectX and NV DirectX in these benchmarks.

deadflower81

Neo Member
Penumbra is a really good choice! I would say Closure for the third. Really liked that one.

Eldritch, Penumbra, and Closure. Anna and Montague are just bad walking simulators.

Closure is very good, and well worth a look, I reckon (I haven't played much, if any, of the others).

Thank you guys!

Now i know what to buy! :)

...and If one of this game will be added to the Humble Indie Bundle 13... there will be my first giveaway :)

Copons

WTF? The D:OS interface is great.

Ahhh, wish we'd had this conversation a couple of months ago, because my memory sucks and I can't remember all its problems.
so yeah, you could argue we're talking about UX, but still :p

Mostly though it's stuff related to multiple characters management.
I understand separate inventories is more realistic, but at the same time, I guess I spent like half of my 80 hours of playtime, sending items back and forth between party members.
Just think about the overwhelming amount of equip items you get: don't tell me it wasn't painful to check them against current equipped items of 4 characters.
Or when you go shopping, that to see the proper character equip comparison popup you have to actually start the dialogue with that character (ie. you start talking with Guy1 and if you switch to Guy2, the comparison is still against Guy1's equip).

Or... readable items (books, scrolls, etc.): there's no way to know if you already read something. And even if this doesn't seem a problem, it actually is when you start hoarding hundreds of books around.

Crafting/blacksmithing/etc. recipes too are a cool idea in theory, but in practice you'll eventually just get overwhelmed by the amount of random stuff in your inventory. (this may be me, I'm rarely into crafting in games, but still I'd have appreciated a more intuitive system)

You know, D:OS is still my GOTY (even more than "Y"... it's probably my favourite CRPG ever), but if it had a simpler UI and a clearer UX it would have been an easy GOAT.
Like, when something reaches such heights, its flaws feel much more annoying.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm not sure when I'll be playing it and I could certainly wait for it to be even cheaper, but I just bought Valkyria Chronicles.

I usually don't buy things with the mindset of sending a message, doing my part or whatnot, but in this particular case I feel like I should. :p

So I'm now in Chapter 4 of FFXIII and while I'll admit the story, characters (Vanille wtf?) and movement/camera controls are all pretty awful, I'm loving the battle system.

First FF game I've ever played where I'm disappointed when a cutscene starts. Will probably keep playing as long as the battles hold my interest.

Knurek

False.
They are still very competitive on the GPU side, and their CPUs used to be excellent recommendations.

I'm not sure you can say AMD's GPU is cheaper when it's, say, $50 cheaper than NVIDIA's offering but uses 2 times as much power, so your electricity bill is $50 more expensive yearly.

Although I will give you I wish their CPUs would not suck as much as they do - Intel really needs a competition, they've been slacking off ever since Core2 decimated competition.

Ok, activate Hipster mode. Computer builders, what is the strangest cpu gpu combo you've ever built?

This was never my main system, it was built from left over parts and ultra cheap deals at a computer show.

CPU: VIA C3 1.1 ghz
GPU: S3 Savage 2000

I did end up playing a lot of counter strike on it and I believe it might have been the first system I installed steam on. It was my lan party box and the case was beat to hell as well.

Asskicker

I just wish the Skyrim DLC would go cheap somewhere. I bought the game on release but as it stonds now I'd de better off buying the complete package...

Hope there's a good sale on that soon!

Durante

Nowadays that's the best life to live. But the 9800 was GOAT material and I had an Athlon proc back then too.
If you had an Intel CPU instead of AMD during the Pentium 4 years you were doing it wrong.

Same for any other GPU than a 9700/9800. Sadly, currently AMD is a shadow of its former self.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
25% voucher reward from GMG for playing Lords o the Fallen when they dont even carry the game >_>

Raytow

Get on my level, I was making fun of Nvidia Riva, when owning a 3DFX Banshee(jesus that card was awful), then switched to Nvidia with a TNT, then went ATI, then Nvidia and now AMD for 3 cards consecutively (6950 to R290)

louiedog

Although I will give you I wish their CPUs would not suck as much as they do - Intel really needs a competition, they've been slacking off ever since Core2 decimated competition.

Judging by how amazing the Bay Trail Atom chip in my Win 8 tablet is compared to the Atom CPUs that shipped with netbooks a couple of years ago I think Intel sees their competition and future in the mobile market, at least as far as where they need to push right now.

A few years ago you'd really feel a 3-year-old computer starting to get slow just trying to browse the web but now I'd bet the vast majority of students and office workers wouldn't notice much of a difference between a first gen i3 and a brand new i7.

Confession: I've never had an AMD CPU or GPU in my PC in my life.

That was me until 3 months ago. The 290x was a worthy upgrade from the 560ti.

So I'm now in Chapter 4 of FFXIII and while I'll admit the story, characters (Vanille wtf?) and movement/camera controls are all pretty awful, I'm loving the battle system.

First FF game I've ever played where I'm disappointed when a cutscene starts. Will probably keep playing as long as the battles hold my interest.

Yeah I agree. I like Lighting though, she seems just as annoyed with everyone as I am

F-Pina

I like detective games so I'll give this some more thoughts but regardless if I buy it or not. I just wanna say thank you for bringing a game into this world, we appreciate your hard works and congrats on this. :) I wish I could say I made a game.

Oh, thanks! This is one of the coolest comments I ever got :)
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom