• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Sales: Frozen Synapse, strategy GOTY 2011 - 50% off

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Achtius said:
Can an on-board graphic card (ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics) handle the game?

The site doesn't even say the minimum requirement (just even netbook can run it) :O

A friend of mine with a 6 year old notebook was able to run it, so doesnt look too bad for you.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Gustav said:
Can't get past the 4th level. I'm too dumb for this shit.

No youre not, the SP can be pretty hard, especially since its randomly generated.

I found MP to be way easier and more natural.

Deadstar

I bought this game and can highly recommend it. The campaign is fun and multiplayer has many different awesome modes. If anyone is on the fence, take the plunge and get this game!

Toma

coopolon said:
I also have an extra copy to sell, probably should have checked this thread before buying it since I could have just bought it from one of the people who have copies to sell.

Nah, it was the right decision. There are way more people who still want a copy than those who bought one.

Toma

coopolon said:
Yup, haha, it was gone within 5 minutes.

Thats what I am saying. BUY IF YOU WANT A COPY. You'll get rid of the second copy anyway.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
sparky2112 said:
Question: if you're not really into multiplayer, is it worth it to play against the AI?
It doesn't matter if you're into MP. Since it's turn based and the other player doesn't have to be online for you to take your turn, playing other players is just like playing a very good (or stupid) AI.
Skipping MP is skipping the most thrilling part of the game!

erragal

So I played this when it first came out (My friend impulse bought it and gave me his copy). I did not enjoy it at all.

As a single player affair the game requires far too much meticulous micromanaging with too little payoff to be fun/enjoyable. If you want to play cautiously (which is how you would be able to play a good tactical game ala JA2/Silent Storm) you'll be spending a significant amount of time making no progress.

In a way the game punishes you for playing properly; requiring more time to set up complex segmented actions with facing and height changes that maximize windows of offense/defense. This doesn't make it bad, but it does make it an extremely slow paced game. There's just a certain level of fluidity I want from a strategy game; in other games with meandering turns (Galactic Civ, MOO, Civ, etc.) there's always a payoff; the game progresses. Frozen Synapse's core gameplay allows for many turns to be wasted in tactical standoffs; while interesting from a competitive standpoint it just feels too slow.

I could see someone very interested in a competitive multiplayer game with excellent balance gravitating towards this game; it's probably the best play-by-email type of game ever made.

There are some interesting innovations within the game, and it certainly isn't a bad game. I just felt it important to note that not everyone who loves strategy/tactical games is in love with Frozen Synapse; it has flaws and isn't the be all end all of strategy games.

Akia

I have bought the Frozen Synapse two pack game FOUR times in the last 24 hours for friends (& myself).

Toma

Akia said:
I have bought the Frozen Synapse two pack game FOUR times in the last 24 hours for friends.

Reminds me of how I bought CivCity 20 times for Gaffers during the last holiday sales.
It was so cheap.. and people needed to play it..
Oh well :)

Toma

whatsinaname said:
My flatmate bought a two pack, so I get a copy. Add me, people. (Though I can only start playing starting tomorrow)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/unique_id

Steam ID doesnt matter. The game has an ingame friend system. You need to share your ingame name as soon as you signed up.

Toma

Achtius said:
Hm...I didn't get an email from steam saying I purchase the game. Am I suppose to?

Yeah, you should. You got until the end of the paying process? It should be in your steam library.

If you try buying it again, it doesnt let you if you already own it. Try that.

Toma

Okay, the party is over folks :) Glad that I got a few to buy this awesome game. Come back to the original OT that will pop up soon to share your ingame ID's and to make some matches or to enlist in the upcoming tournament.

Balehead

It's like a lovechild between Silent Storm and Rez, loving the soundtrack. SP definitely requires some thought, which is nice for a change. Writing just doesn't do it for me at all, so I'm skipping the reading part. Going to jump in MP soon.

edit: Jumped in the MP, didn't check carefully enough and ended up in "Dark Extermination".

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Goddamn, they throw you in the deepend in the first singleplayer mission. Shotgun people and the enemies move, so you basically play musical chairs while hoping your guesses are right to take them by surprise.

Toma

TheSeks said:
Goddamn, they throw you in the deepend in the first singleplayer mission. Shotgun people and the enemies move, so you basically play musical chairs while hoping your guesses are right to take them by surprise.

The first mission is kind of hard, dont think you are too bad for the game or something.

Achtius

Toma said:
Yeah, you should. You got until the end of the paying process? It should be in your steam library.

If you try buying it again, it doesnt let you if you already own it. Try that.

*shrugs* I got the cd key and stuff. No idea why I didn't get the confirmation email.

Thanks anyways :)

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Played my first multiplayer match, and randomly got matched up with a 116-9 guy who was ranked 30th globally.

And I beat him! First win, woohoo!

Not gonna lie, I was nervous as shit during the OUTCOME segment of the last turn. This game is intense.

Top Bottom