• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2017 - Summer Ys Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.
The stuff:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Psychonauts -- MB-BBA320AE9C1B2706 - Taken by oni-link. 1 entrants total.

t1505443655z1.png

zkylon

zkylewd
glad divinity original sin 2 seems to be good

i felt kind of bad buying 1 from russian traders so i backed 2 just to get rid of that guilt but it's nice that it turned out good

Jawmuncher

Z7c9j0j.png

i feel like xcom 3 should have the humans as the invading bad guys

Agreed. It's what I wish Xcom 2 was honestly. I like the idea of Aliens and some humans coexisting and the Aliens not being bad beings. But there being some terrorist humans who're xenophobic
To the point where they want to eradicate all of the aliens and any human supporters of the aliens.

Jadax

Hell no, humans need to always be the good guys (for the most part) - would change the whole point of the game if we were to go up against humans. Plus, there aren't that many human varieties to go up against - aliens on the other hand they can keep changing.

zkylon

zkylewd
idk i feel like in my run xcom has just lost sight of their goal, started experiment with its own troops and turned 100% evil

Uzzy

idk i feel like in my run xcom has just lost sight of their goal, started experiment with its own troops and turned 100% evil

Dr. Vahlen chuckled "Oh, the Aliens? We keep some around and have them attack whenever someone wants to pull my.. our funding."

Waking up at midnight with a hangover because you don't work the next day is the worst ugh. No more day drinking.

I don't even want to play Divinity or Dishonored.

I've run into an issue lately where if I'm in a full screen video and I pause it my mouse doesn't work, does anyone know what it might be caused by?

Also, is there a fix for w10 making my extra mouse buttons(back/forward/etc) not work?

Madventure

I've run into an issue lately where if I'm in a full screen video my mouse doesn't work, does anyone know what it might be caused By?

Also, is there a fix for w10 making my extra mouse buttons(back/forward/etc) not work?

I know it will be a dumb question but have you actually downloaded the actual software for the mouse?
Like, my logitech mouse has software that enables profiles and things but the extra buttons are somewhat usable even without the software downloaded

it took me forever to realize I forgot to download it one time because stuff was sort of working correctly on my end for things one time

Otherwise I don't know!

Ascheroth

I cannot even decide what my GOTY this year will be. It has been such a good year for games.
My current line-up is

Trails in the Sky the 3rd
Nier a Tomato
Trails of Cold Steel
(Ys VIII?)
Atelier Sophie
Ys Seven

The top 2 are basically a lock, but Zwei II, Tokyo Xanadu and Hollow Knight might shake this up a little if I get to them this year and I obviously haven't completed Ys yet.

Ascheroth

Even with half-assed port and no patch since release?

People are sending the wrong message here.
The next SE games will be interesting.
Delayed. Denuvo. No patches. Stupid marketing shenanigans. Shitty regional pricing.
But it will have a special Valve-themed preorder bonus.

Uzzy

People are sending the wrong message here.

Which message? That people want more fascinating sci-fi stories about machines and their human makers, and the interactions between them? About the nature of consciousness?

I hope they take that message to heart.

Ascheroth

It's actually hilarious to read the performance thread

Lots of people defending a subpar port in that thread.
There's nothing wrong with thinking it was a decent port with some launch issues, that could be fixed in a week or two and then everything would be fine.
The problem was that those launch issues were never fixed by Square Enix.

So yeah, 'defending' the port at launch is not mutually exclusive with being disappointed with it in the now.

And for better or worse, it's still the 'definitive' version if your PC is better than a PS4 and you have a graphics card the game likes.

It's actually hilarious to read the performance thread

Lots of people defending a subpar port in that thread.

Except it's not the same thing.
NieR isn't inherently a subpar port. It supports arbitrary resolution, had nice AA features and other options.
It launched with issues, that are supposed to be easy to fix. The fix the game needed was the fullscreen issue and the MSAA issue. It was a matter of a week.

The problem is, these two small issues were never fixed.

It's a half-decent port, and as Durante said the issues are pretty small and can be easily fixed in a matter of minutes.

But for the average Joe, every issue is a big issue. And not everyone could be bothered to deal with tweaking files or applying mods.

Reviews are barely positive so far (74%) and it'll still be that way until they actually patch the damn thing.

Except it's not the same thing.
NieR isn't inherently a subpar port. It supports arbitrary resolution, had nice AA features and other options.
It launched with issues, that are supposed to be easy to fix. The fix the game needed was the fullscreen issue and the MSAA issue. It was a matter of a week.

The problem is, these two small issues were never fixed.

It also has stuttering cutscenes.

And what does the support of arbitrary resolutions mean if the performance when using those is bad? With a 1080Ti it still cant keep 60fps in 4k, with my 980Ti and a 7600k its hovering around 40-50fps in 4k with drops to 30.

Hektor

I haven't been following the Nier threads, but out of curiousity, what wrong with the port ? :/

Crashes (primarily on AMD)
Locked to 900p in full screen mode (can be worked around with Windowed full screen tools)
Wonky performance (although the same is true for the console version)
Stuttering cutscenes
Missing prayer feature

I haven't been following the Nier threads, but out of curiousity, what wrong with the port ? :/

MSAA breaks the LoD and fullscreen isn't 1080p for some reason. Also, some cutscenes stutters.
The first one is resolved by not using MSAA, as activating AO activates temporal AA and playing with borderless fullscreen also solve the 1080p issue.

Although, there was a community fix released, called FAR. Even though you shouldn't rely on community fix, FAR also brings additionnal bells and whistles, like higher res bloom and AO, which means even if it ever get fixed by SE, using FAR would still be recommended.

It also has stuttering cutscenes.

And what does the support of arbitrary resolutions mean if the performance when using those is bad? With a 1080Ti it still cant keep 60fps in 4k, with my 980Ti and a 7600k its hovering around 40-50fps in 4k with drops to 30.

The performance isn't inherent to the port, it's inherent to the game. And support of arbitrary resolutions is important for futureproofing. Sure, right now, the game cant run at 4k with locked 60fps with a 1080ti. But in 5 years, when people will want to play the game, a midrange GPU will be able to, with no sweating. And the fact that it supports arbitrary resolution means it wont be locked to 4k only in following years.

def sim

I was fine with this situation for Dark Souls, but I'm not going to support something like that again you know what I mean? They've found success and it's an easy enough fix- Square Enix should treat the platform and its community better.

The performance isn't inherent to the port, it's inherent to the game. And support of arbitrary resolutions is important for futureproofing. Sure, right now, the game cant run at 4k with locked 60fps with a 1080ti. But in 5 years, when people will want to play the game, a midrange GPU will be able to, with no sweating. And the fact that it supports arbitrary resolution means it wont be locked to 4k only in following years.

Im just saying that a game that "looks like that" shouldnt have such performance problems with high-end GPUs.

I know its not a port-problem, but a problem of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom