• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2017 - Summer Ys Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to play Tacoma, I got the coupon, but seriously there's just so many games. Both backlog and stuff coming out and stuff I haven't bought yet.

It's insane how many games I'm like, "that would be a huge hype train game for me any other time but right now I'll just have to forget about it"

I still remember my Super Nintendo days, when the only game I had was Street Fighter II. I played the hell out of that game and loved every minute of it.

Years later, I play Hyper Light Drifter on Steam, I freaking love it and I abandon it as soon as I finish my first (hurried) playthrough. I would play the hell out of HLD back on my SNES, but now there's just too many games, which is great... but also a bit sad.

I still remember my Super Nintendo days, when the only game I had was Street Fighter II. I played the hell out of that game and loved every minute of it.

Years later, I play Hyper Light Drifter on Steam, I freaking love it and I abandon it as soon as I finish my first (hurried) playthrough. I would play the hell out of RLD back on my SNES, but now there's just too many games, which is great... but also a bit sad.

I sometimes wonder how it is nowadays with thousands of free games, bundles where you get 5 good games for 5€ etc. as a child.

Jawmuncher

I sometimes wonder how it is nowadays with thousands of free games, bundles where you get 5 good games for 5€ etc. as a child.

Kids are definitely in on the F2P games. That's why Roblox for being such trash has a ton of players. I'd say the bundles don't factor in much though. Unless your parents are also gamers you're probably still not seeing games too often.

I want to play Tacoma, I got the coupon, but seriously there's just so many games. Both backlog and stuff coming out and stuff I haven't bought yet.

It's insane how many games I'm like, "that would be a huge hype train game for me any other time but right now I'll just have to forget about it"

Same here. I'm mostly working on my backlog this year, especially pick-up-and-play type games.

Plus, school is requiring me to watch six hours of movies a week. That definitely cuts into my free time.

Years later, I play Hyper Light Drifter on Steam, I freaking love it and I abandon it as soon as I finish my first (hurried) playthrough. I would play the hell out of HLD back on my SNES, but now there's just too many games, which is great... but also a bit sad.

Yes, when I was a child, I got a Saturn. Metal Slug 1 on it was like the greatest thing ever exist. I played it with my brother everyday, enjoyed every single moment.

If I play Metal Slug now, I may not sink hundreds or thousands of playthrough in it.

Tizoc

You just gotta start them.
If you want my method I first arranged my games into categories, such as Action, Shooters, etc.
If a game has shooting and melee combat elements, just lump it as Action for simplicity's sake.
Then just go playing them alphabetically. If a game keeps your attention keep playing it.
If you get to apoint during playing the game that you got bored or it showed all that it has to show, then just quit it. No shame in that as I've dropped about a dozen games so far this year (I've completed much more games by now btw).

It is one way to go about it mind you.
Another better method is focus on short games. Namely games that can be beaten in under 10 hours, and you're bound to complete dozens of games this way ;3

is there any way to stop getting all those discount vouchers i do absolutely nothing with ?

every time i see a new notification i'm expecting some new boosterpack but instead i get some silly voucher (not even a big one at that, 30%ish) from a game i've literally never heard of before. it just keeps virtually rotting in my inventory before expiring and returning to the abyss

Pixieking

Banned
So the new Dishonored is out today - and I haven't seen any gaffer comments.

Is it that bad?

DJvy5lZUIAABudy.jpg

Have you always wanted to explode mimes? If so, it's the game for you.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Last Baron, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Psychonauts -- MB-8B5C78283A9A01D9 - Taken by Powerpuff. 1 entrants total.

t1505481829z1.png
Redeem by the 30th at 10AM PST

Hektor

Tactician mode in DOS 2 is insane. All those level 3 enemies kill my level 2 party with 2 hits.

Unfortunately, you can't change the difficulty to lower if you started on that mode.

ugh

I think i'll restart the game

I won't believe me folks, but somewhere in 2011-2012 during my first years in university i reached the point when there was not enough new games for me, i was playing literally everything that was not online and had too much free time. I even started to looking specifically for RPGs i never played on sites with games databases, and i played almost every RPG games from late 90s-00s. I mean, literally, every game that was in my sight - it was extremely easy thanks for torrents, i was pirating stuff like crazy not long time ago. Thankfully, in 2013 i found job to pay for my study, so that significantly shrinked my free time. And once things are settled and i got some money to spare on my hobbies, i found Steam, and now i have such huge backlog that i don't even need to look for new releases anymore, there's so much games i bought but never played, and they just keep coming. And not just some games, but genuinely great games, in every genre and budget category. I'm the one who complaining that "there is too much games now!", but at the same time i think that we're in golden age of gaming, despite more focus on MP games and all that bullshit with lootboxes with microtransactions.

rahji

I am playing Child of Light recently. It is avery relaxing and beautiful experience. The only downgrade is that i put the difficulty on hard and sometimes even normal enemies are a challenge.

is there any way to stop getting all those discount vouchers i do absolutely nothing with ?

every time i see a new notification i'm expecting some new boosterpack but instead i get some silly voucher (not even a big one at that, 30%ish) from a game i've literally never heard of before. it just keeps virtually rotting in my inventory before expiring and returning to the abyss

You could donate them to the TrashDump Bot and get something useful back.

I got to the the start of the final act in Trails SC last night and gah, it's so good. I really wish I we're home playing it right now instead of working.

I'm the one who complaining that "there is too much games now!", but at the same time i think that we're in golden age of gaming, despite more focus on MP games and all that bullshit with lootboxes with microtransactions.

Same for me and agreed on the golden age. I've played a bunch of great games from this year so far and I haven't even made it to starting Hollow Knight, Night in the Woods, The Sexy Brutale, Hellblade, Cosmic Star Heroine or Snake Pass.

Tactician mode in DOS 2 is insane. All those level 3 enemies kill my level 2 party with 2 hits.

Unfortunately, you can't change the difficulty to lower if you started on that mode.

ugh

I think i'll restart the game

I played through the ship yesterday and learned that you can only have one summon per character at a time which meant my character starting with Conjure Incarnate and Raise Bloated Corpse redundant. I'm glad I learned that early I guess since I started over and remade her with Decaying Touch instead or Raise Bloated Corpse.

Annubis

I played through the ship yesterday and learned that you can only have one summon per character at a time which meant my character starting with Conjure Incarnate and Raise Bloated Corpse redundant. I'm glad I learned that early I guess since I started over and remade her with Decaying Touch instead or Raise Bloated Corpse.

Not sure about DOS2, but in DOS, having more than one summon was useful if you wanted your summons to keep some enemies busy.
When one dies and is still on cooldown, you use the other and make a rotation of sacrifices.

Not sure about DOS2, but in DOS, having more than one summon was useful if you wanted your summons to keep some enemies busy.
When one dies and is still on cooldown, you use the other and make a rotation of sacrifices.

I was thinking about that and might run with more than one later on but I didn't want to start with two out of my there skills being summons.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
PES2018 is stuttery as fuck

Can't select higher resolutions either unless you make the DSR your actual resolution, what a shambles

Mivey

I was thinking about that and might run with more than one later on but I didn't want to start with two out of my there skills being summons.
There is also the fact that not all summons are equally effective against various enemies, so having some variety makes Summoners more versatile.

You just gotta start them.
If you want my method I first arranged my games into categories, such as Action, Shooters, etc.
If a game has shooting and melee combat elements, just lump it as Action for simplicity's sake.
Then just go playing them alphabetically. If a game keeps your attention keep playing it.
If you get to apoint during playing the game that you got bored or it showed all that it has to show, then just quit it. No shame in that as I've dropped about a dozen games so far this year (I've completed much more games by now btw).

It is one way to go about it mind you.
Another better method is focus on short games. Namely games that can be beaten in under 10 hours, and you're bound to complete dozens of games this way ;3

I have no trouble playing my backlog. (And it doesn't bother me if I'm not in the mood for games, I have plenty of hobbies). Rather, it's keeping up with the new releases.

It's I think really unprecedented how many amazing games are being released, and how many of them I would usually lose my mind over given a less crowded marketplace.

I think we are going to see more games that just don't make the waves they would otherwise. I'm happy for the success that we do see, but it doesn't surprise me when a great title that has everything going for it kind of falls flat. I only have enough attention for one major game a week, not five.

Just when I think I'm getting close to the end, Hollow Knight opens itself up again. It doesn't help that I'm spending a lot of time retracing steps to search for stuff.

And one platforming section almost had me purchase an Xbox Elite controller. I can't handle this 360 one anymore. And I feel too ingrained in analog to really embrace my Steam controller.

Elite owners, is it really worth it? I would need the new wireless adapter. That doesn't let me use 360 controllers with it, right?

gdt

Valdis Story: Abyssal City

Man, the controls suck, or is it just me? The movement feels really heavy and laggy.

And the way you dash sucks ass too.

Annubis

Divinity OS 2
Why do Metamorph and Shadowblade start with 4 attribute points and all the other 3?
Like, you can just take those and put the points where you want them for a free point?

Anno

Divinity OS 2
Why do Metamorph and Shadowblade start with 4 attribute points and all the other 3?
Like, you can just take those and put the points where you want them for a free point?

Does the Shadowblade preset now get a level of Metamorph? Each point in that gives you an attribute point to spend.

Annubis

Does the Shadowblade preset now get a level of Metamorph? Each point in that gives you an attribute point to spend.

Ah, that's what it is.
Thanks.

---

Man, I kinda want to make a custom character and say screw it to the presets.
As far as I understand, I can get 3 of the origins as party members so that would be enough for me.

(Also, the only way I can get a chick lizard - because that's what really matters here.)

Ladekabel

Currently playing Oxenfree and it is neat so far. I read that multiple playthroughs are required for the best ending. Can anyone break it down for me?

To fellow Asians buying Death of the Outsider:

If your windows non Unicode language wasn’t English, you may not be able to start the game.

35426d1485956427t-how-do-you-change-language-settings-non-unicode-programs-win10-2015-09-03_08h45_19.png

Lashley

Added 3200x1800 with CRU, but when I set the game as that and launch it either crashes or runs at like 3fps and has black bars at the side?

I usually run it at the higher resolution of 2160p too with no problems

I need a update to my Steam Profile. I don't think i've changed anything on it for a few years now outside I think some of the 5 level badges.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/jawmuncher/

Any good Achievements and Wallpapers people know of that'd fit my aesthetic?

I went with the Bayonetta wallpaper since my aesthetic is butts.

If you're going for full Resident Evil 6 there's the wallpaper with Helena even though she's kinda off in the background behind Leon.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 18 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dead Bits -- MB-82F047CDB866C079 - Taken by FeedMeAStrayCat. 2 entrants total.
Discovery A Seek and Find Adventure -- MB-C76E166384C0B831 - Taken by dot. 6 entrants total.
HUNTSMAN THE ORPHANAGE -- MB-67F6C184E6FC686C - Taken by bwral12. 1 entrants total.
Little Farm -- MB-3C6470241FAFD038 - Taken by yoshizzle. 2 entrants total.
Luxor 5th Passage -- MB-32C98FD66DC109AC - Taken by dot. 2 entrants total.
Luxor Evolved -- MB-3B6788E716D83175 - Taken by gaiadyne. 2 entrants total.
Midnight Mysteries 4 Haunted Houdini -- MB-043D1DCD57EC7BF4 - Taken by fspm. 1 entrants total.
Midnight Mysteries Salem Witch Trials -- MB-9AA708C266EFCC5F - Taken by Mikurden. 1 entrants total.
NANINIGHTS -- MB-C9745CCD8B5E8A4C - Taken by FeedMeAStrayCat. 1 entrants total.
No Time To Explain Remastered -- MB-1B3F205AEE8DF13A - Taken by TheGreenArrow. 2 entrants total.
ORBURON -- MB-A399D453DDF38C4B - Taken by gaiadyne. 1 entrants total.
Particula -- MB-F0A1FFD35B83D042 - Taken by FeedMeAStrayCat. 1 entrants total.
QUESTRUN -- MB-964619207152E94D - Taken by krczt23. 1 entrants total.
QUESTRUN #2- -- MB-A414CAD0096DA479
QUESTRUN #3 -- MB-4C2184752B484CFC
TIDALIS -- MB-D74BF100A70E9CA9 - Taken by krczt23. 1 entrants total.
Woodle Tree Adventures -- MB-43363BC289AEDDB4 - Taken by lazerfox. 1 entrants total.
X-COM: UFO Defense -- MB-B14324673A73D467 - Taken by pantsattack. 3 entrants total.

t1505502905z1.png

Lashley

Added 3200x1800 with CRU, but when I set the game as that and launch it either crashes or runs at like 3fps and has black bars at the side?

I usually run it at the higher resolution of 2160p too with no problems

And now my TV says invalid format when trying 3072x1728 :'(

Yet it works fine on the desktop, wtf

Oh. Another "Steam is shit because of stuff you dont even see as a normal user thread":

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1433618

I have 2700 games on my account, been on Steam for 13 years now and never ever even saw a NeoNazi group, either recommended by my Steamfriends or "accidentaly" found.

I have seen all kinds of crap on Steam. I agree that they need to manage reviews/profile images and groups a lot better than they do now, but I also agree with you that most users won't ever realize it.
Still, when you have users posting tons of racist reviews, and do nothing even after months of reports, something needs changing.

For instance, look at this game's reviews/community forums.

Full of racist crap, I reported that stuff at least 5 times since last year. Nothing ever happened.

Today I'm getting older, yay. Although it doesn't mean much as it's mostly a normal day as usual for me. But hey, here are some goodies for you people. Enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Black Soma, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
DmC Devil May Cry -- MB-0B4EB950022F1603 - Taken by Tonton. 1 entrants total.
Kero Blaster -- MB-95F2FFF7C62E741E - Taken by OmarYusaf. 17 entrants total.
Odallus The Dark Call -- MB-482FBF651AA77300 - Taken by ctw0e. 2 entrants total.
Shadowrun Dragonfall Director's Cut -- MB-BDAB6B1427AC2FE3 - Taken by alr1ght. 5 entrants total.

t1505503044z1.png

Bigby

Gaming side loves to hate on Steam. Those who complain don't even use it. Now they will delete their Steam accounts too, accounts they never had, because 99% of them are console gamers. Monopoly this, monopoly that.

Mivey

Yeah, Valve's refusal to spend the money to moderate its community better is frustrating. It's not like they're hurting for cash.
Not affecting their bottom line, which are sales. A few bloggers publicly claiming that they will stop to use Steam isn't a motivation. People actively leaving Steam because of a toxic community, however, would make this Valve's No. 1 priority.
Simple as that. They are a business, not interested in filtering stuff for the sake of filtering stuff. (Games, or user content in any form).

Not affecting their bottom line, which are sales. A few bloggers publicly claiming that they will stop to use Steam isn't a motivation. People actively leaving Steam because of a toxic community, however, would make this Valve's No. 1 priority.
Simple as that. They are a business, not interested in filtering stuff for the sake of filtering stuff. (Games, or user content in any form).

I understand why they don't, it doesn't make it any better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom