• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2017 - Summer Ys Ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

Crashes (primarily on AMD)
Locked to 900p in full screen mode (can be worked around with Windowed full screen tools)
Wonky performance (although the same is true for the console version)
Stuttering cutscenes
Missing prayer feature
I think crashes were equally likely on Nvidia. The game just really didn't like some cards. I remember the 4xx series was completely busted and Nvidia also had some cards that crashed all the time.
My 290 never had a single crash in ~50 hours and I played at launch fwiw.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Hey.

Hey.

It's not a port. It's the PC version.

Ascheroth

Im just saying that a game that "looks like that" shouldnt have such performance problems with high-end GPUs.

I know its not a port-problem, but a problem of the game.
The Lighting, particle effects, character models and animations are really high quality. It's mainly the environment textures and models that show the (lack of) budget.

Im just saying that a game that "looks like that" shouldnt have such performance problems with high-end GPUs.

Yeah, i still wondering why exactly this game run so bad, outside 2B model i can't say that it looks great. I mean, LOD is really bad, most textures looked very low res and lighting was rigged for me most of the time.

I was fine with this situation for Dark Souls, but I'm not going to support something like that again you know what I mean? They've found success and it's an easy enough fix- Square Enix should treat the platform and its community better.

This is perfectly reasonable. I played the game at launch and loved it but the way Square Enix has handled everything about the PC version of this game is disgraceful and I no longer recommend that anyone buy it. I realize it's a bit hypocritical for me to have looked past it's issues and enjoyed the game but then tell others not to do the same but honestly, nobody should have to look past those issues in the first place. What were a few quirks at launch have now become actual black marks against the game because of Square Enix.

It's important to highlight though, because it quickly leads to the following thinking for a lot of people:
"My GTX 1080 cant run it at 4k/60fps locked ? Better get it on my PS4/PS4 Pro" which is assuming these versions have no performance issues. It's kinda the same with KT ports. While most of them are bad, a lot of them also are better than their console counterpart. Spirit of Sanada has bad performance on PC, but also on console since it runs at 900p/30fps or so I heard.

I think crashes were equally likely on Nvidia. The game just really didn't like some cards. I remember the 4xx series was completely busted and Nvidia also had some cards that crashed all the time.

Also this.

I forgot to mention bloom artifacts in Nier, that was most annoying issue with this game for me.
bloom_defaultjhuq9.jpg
It not always been so blocky for me, but still very noticeable, especially in that forest.

derFeef

Also I always have the mouse cursor present on my screen in Nier, so weird. It also recenters after you move it to the side... lol.

AHA-Lambda

Locked to 900p in full screen mode (can be worked around with Windowed full screen tools)
Stuttering cutscenes
Missing prayer feature

MIssing prayer feature??

I just got a 33% off coupon for Tacoma. Already own the game so if anyone wants it just hit me up. I didn't think it was very good FWIW.

Looking at these stats, I'm pretty sure now that it has flopped. Concurrent numbers don't matter that much for a game like this but it it's indicative of the interest the game is generating.

So I just upgraded my pc and updated to Win10. Now when I download from steam, there a "System" process that takes 100% of the HDD, slowing the download.
Anyone knows what's up?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So the new Dishonored is out today - and I haven't seen any gaffer comments.

Is it that bad?

There's an OT. There's some trepidation among PC players due to the state Dishonored 2 launched in and the game unlocked on consoles at midnight ET, which was only six hours ago, so there isn't much in the way of impressions just yet.

Uzzy

So the new Dishonored is out today - and I haven't seen any gaffer comments.

Is it that bad?

I mean, there's only so much money and time I can throw at games this month, and Life is Strange: Before the Storm took precedence. Otherwise I'd be talking about the new Dishonoured and D:OS2 probably.

That said, I did pick up Dishonoured 2 for half price like three weeks after release.

Phinor

Well for one, the reviews I just read after I made the comment. Secondly, no one (?) here recommending it is also a negative.

The amount of games right now is completely insane. Dishonored 2 was one of my favourite games of last year but I've no idea when I can even start with the expansion with these other top tier games that just became available within the past few weeks. Couple of "official" reviews at Opencritic, both gave it 8.5/10 so it's probably really good.

Same fate with Original Sin 2 right now. It would be a good quarter if these two were the only two games that were released but they are just few among many.

I have skimmed through Steam agenda until the end of the year. It is packed.

Plus games which can be preordered:

Plus stuff which should be released like Miegakure and are not yet advertised on the store.

You say until the end of the year but list Iconoclasts... :p

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
This is an entirely "I'm angry and I want to vent" post, so feel free to ignore it as such.

I'm playing Star Wars TM Battlefront TM EA TM since it was only five bucks yesterday and: Anyone who says Origin is a better client than Steam is not playing this game. The client overlay integration sucks. Turning it off means you can't report cheaters. Having it on means it keeps windowing my game with pops if I alt-tab in and out.

Just a lot of room for improvement for such a bare bones client.

Square should be ashamed of what they left the port of Nier like off all other issues surely the framepacing of the cutscenes and the resolution bug were easy fixes for a massive company like them. I'm waiting for a humble bundle to play it now honestly and thats sad as I would have dropped 60 euro on a decent port easily.

MissChief

Stuttering cutscenes
Missing prayer feature

MSAA breaks the LoD and fullscreen isn't 1080p for some reason. Also, some cutscenes stutters.
The first one is resolved by not using MSAA, as activating AO activates temporal AA and playing with borderless fullscreen also solve the 1080p issue.

Damn, that's insane :/ I was planning to buy the game when it's $20, but now I'm doubting

That's because PES will sell well irregardless. FIFA, PES, FM always sell well. This is if you're talking about football.

If PES is something else here, then...well disregard my above comment.

That's not true at all.

PES 2017 only sold 180k copies while NBA 2017 almost made 500k.

Durante

It also has stuttering cutscenes.
Which is also easy to fix and should have been in a patch in the first week. Just like the fullscreen issue. And then the port is good. (Just like it is now if you use FAR, basically -- except FAR makes it even better)

That this patch did not happen is inexcusable. (I don't know whether S-E or Platinum or both are to blame)

And what does the support of arbitrary resolutions mean if the performance when using those is bad? With a 1080Ti it still cant keep 60fps in 4k
I don't believe that is true. Unless you are using MSAA, which is just a bad decision in this game due to its interaction with LOD transitions. (And the MSAA performance drop is well within what is to be expected from MSAA in a deferred renderer)

Of course, game performance overall is not particularly well-optimized, but that's not a port issue. Remember that it runs at only 1080p on PS4 Pro.
(And in fact, PC is the only platform where you can do something about this lack of optimization by adjusting the GI compute shader with basically no visual impact for a large perf. improvement with FAR)

On Nvidia, the crashes only happened on pre-Pascal cards apparently.
And this was fixed in a driver update (just like AMD apparently fixed theirs in a driver update).

In this case it's actually hard to blame the game -- generally game issues don't affect only specific GPUs and don't get patched in drivers.

I forgot to mention bloom artifacts in Nier, that was most annoying issue with this game for me.

It not always been so blocky for me, but still very noticeable, especially in that forest.
Those are terrible. They are also on PS4 pro (not on PS4, since everything is blocky :p).

I fixed them on PC because they were that annoying.

I don't believe that is true. Unless you are using MSAA, which is just a bad decision in this game due to its interaction with LOD transitions. (And the MSAA performance drop is well within what is to be expected from MSAA in a deferred renderer)

The problem is that afaik MSAA in that game is just called AA, isnt it? I could play in 1440p with my 980Ti with "normal" AA on, 4k wasnt possible though.

Apparently Divinity: Original Sin is only available on Steam and GOG. Not even GMG or Amazon is selling it.

I guess I gotta wait for that Steam sale.

Jadax

That's not true at all.

PES 2017 only sold 180k copies while NBA 2017 almost made 500k.

Are you sure? Pretty sure PES17 was top of the charts here in UK for PS4 till FIFA came out. I mean, no doubt over the years FIFA probably has PES beat handsomely, but only 180k copies?

A question that might have been asked before. Give me 1/5 if old.

But why are there still no reviews for Divinity: Original Sin 2 from the major gaming sites?

Shantom

Are you sure? Pretty sure PES17 was top of the charts here in UK for PS4 till FIFA came out. I mean, no doubt over the years FIFA probably has PES beat handsomely, but only 180k copies?

PES hasn't been top of the UK charts for many, many years. I'd be surprised if it still sells more than 2 million WW

Xater

I just got a 33% off coupon for Tacoma. Already own the game so if anyone wants it just hit me up. I didn't think it was very good FWIW.

Looking at these stats, I'm pretty sure now that it has flopped. Concurrent numbers don't matter that much for a game like this but it it's indicative of the interest the game is generating.

I also have one of these coupons. I have zero interest in games like this, so if anyone wants it shoot me a DM or something.

I want to play Tacoma, I got the coupon, but seriously there's just so many games. Both backlog and stuff coming out and stuff I haven't bought yet.

It's insane how many games I'm like, "that would be a huge hype train game for me any other time but right now I'll just have to forget about it"

They received the game yesterday or the day before that. Expect them next week.

Thanks for the answer. I'm waiting with a purchase until I've read some.

Thought the internet would kick up a bit more fuzz about reviews being delayed like that, but I guess Larian was working on the game well up until release or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom