• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting poll going on right now at gamefaqs.com :

gamefaqspoll.PNG

:/

They need to see the light of our Lord.

louiedog

Still requires the whole game to be installed as well, which is what I'm wanting to avoid really.

They seem to be making small steps toward this whole music thing more useful.

Steam will now automatically find your game soundtracks, and you can choose not to download DLC for games. The next thing seems like putting those ideas together and letting us just download the music and having it show up for listening.

Why not? Not all of us are obsessively obsessed with +1.

With the exception of some bundles (which, in my defence, had some games that really interested me) I generally don't care about +1's either.
The thing is that I played quite a lot of games before getting on the Steam train so I've been getting those on Steam alongside newer releases.

autoduelist

Nonesense. You yourself in the part I just edited out have highlighted how easy it is for two people to be on differnt pages when describing a genre. Most of the time there's no hard and fast rule what qualifies as a genre, even more so the more complex a game is and if it falls in to various sub genres and have cross over to varying other ones as well. Half the time no game explicitly states what genre it should belong to, it's all decided by the customer. It maybe getting data across quickly but it's easy to send the wrong idea to that person as either party could have different ideas of what constitues that genre mentioned. It doesn't take hardly any effort to describe the primese of a game in slightly more detail with even a limited vocabulary. Using just an overarching genre to describe a game is plain lazy and does the game itself a diservice.

People can always be on different pages with language, and just because some people misuse words doesn't make them ineffectual or something to avoid. Plenty of people misuse color names (chartreuse, for example) but that doesn't mean we shouldn't use them.

It's absurd to limit me from describing a dungeon crawler as a dungeon crawler, or a roguelike as a roguelike, when discussing it with fellow gamers simply because someone might misunderstand it. It's on an individual it up if they don't understand the term, just like with any other word. Given we're on a gaming forum, assuming such knowledge of terminology is more than fair, just like if I was discussing kung fu films with other fans mentioning a film is 'wire-fu' is very informative.

It's neither lazy nor ineffectual to use categories or genres. It's an absolutely natural part of language and communication. If someone misunderstands or is confused, they can be sorted out on a case by case basis. If they need more information than given, they can ask. Even something like 'turn based combat' is broad and lacks specificity at a granular level, but it's 'descriptive enough' in most cases, just like any other term.

Hi, I am potato.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (WinterDemons, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Blackwell 2: Unbound -- MB-E8996542B9793226 - Taken by Scipius. 1 entrants total.
The Ship Complete Pack -- MB-69490B19A8896700 - Taken by $h@d0w. 2 entrants total.
Blackwell 1: Legacy -- MB-F7084C3A4DD45BD1 - Taken by Remij. 2 entrants total.
Blackwell 3: Convergence -- MB-3769700803BD6724 - Taken by swx. 1 entrants total.
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-3CC5B81B54F2ABF7 - Taken by ExoSoul. 1 entrants total.
Gold Rush! Classic -- MB-07EEE9C76B673722 - Taken by Leg-End. 3 entrants total.

t1411597069z1.png

Anteater

huh, weird thing to ask but did the user W!CKED get nuked or something? I can't see his posts anymore but I still see his posts being quoted, I don't think he's on my ignore list.

Shadownet

Banned
I am ashamed to say that my gamer skills isn't enough to even play Cook Serve Delicious. It is truly a game meant for the gods.

I got terrible coordination

jblank83

:/

They need to see the light of our Lord.

Between 101 and 500, I've taken advantage of several Steam sales
Betweeen 501 and 1000, I've been taken advantange of by several Steam sales
More than 1000, I think I may have a problem. A wonderful, terrible problem.

That's funny... ^_^

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Something nice I'm working on for all you Firefox users out there

JpLWSng.png

The update should be ready to go in a couple of hours.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
whats the word on Wasteland 2? is it more... straight forward lets say than Divinity?

Deitus

huh, weird thing to ask but did the user W!CKED get nuked or something? I can't see his posts anymore but I still see his posts being quoted, I don't think he's on my ignore list.

I think the most likely case is they got a name change. A name change will retroactively change the name on previous posts, but won't change quoted posts.

I really wish the Steam Music Player let me bind my music control hotkeys from my keyboard somehow... it's useless to me without that feature.

whats the word on Wasteland 2? is it more... straight forward lets say than Divinity?

There are clear objectives you need to complete, if that's what you're asking. Moreso than Divinity. W2 is a lot jankier than Divinity, but is a lot of fun nonetheless.

If you're on the fence the game is for you.

Just play NEO Scavenger instead!
i don't know anything about WL2 i just want more people to play neo scavenger please don't hate me

LMAO... They're both post-apocalyptic, that's about all they really have in common.

A noble effort, in any case. Spread the word!
I've played maybe ten minutes of the game... don't hate me too much.

Sini

I really wish the Steam Music Player let me bind my music control hotkeys from my keyboard somehow... it's useless to me without that feature.
Media keys work fine for me. Do you have some weird keyboard that uses some special drivers for media keys?
Or do you mean custom key combinations?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I think the most likely case is they got a name change. A name change will retroactively change the name on previous posts, but won't change quoted posts.

Nah, I'm pretty sure the dude got nuked out of existence. Search for him in a thread and find a quoted post of his. Then ctrl-f that sentence on every page of the thread and you won't find anything.

jblank83

I feel like it's more fully fleshed than Divinity. Divinity feels like a series of combats separated by boring level design, without much to do outside of combat. A couple of interesting dungeons here and there, but mostly not. Sadly, the world interactivity is very limited in Divinity. As well, the world maps are somewhat limited. These issues dashed my hopes of a spiritual descendant for Ultima VII.

Wasteland's combat system is not as rich as Divinity's, however Wasteland has more roleplaying opportunities. That means such things as building characters and alternate approaches to conflicts, and just general gameplay depth as exploring a large, cohesive, interesting overworld with all its sub-maps, finding random little things tucked away in corners or caves, and so on. It feels like more of a world, a roleplaying campaign, and less a series of fights.

I'm not saying Wasteland is better than Divinity. Divinity is wonderfully polished with a fantastic combat system, and its achievements are impressive given its budget. Meanwhile, Wasteland is not as pretty and has some rough edges here and there. I'm just saying Wasteland feels a little more like a fully fleshed, classic roleplaying game, at least it does to me.

Boiling it all down, Wasteland 2 might as well be the lost sibling of Fallout 1 and 2, which I think is great.

Nah, I'm pretty sure the dude got nuked out of existence. Search for him in a thread and find a quoted post of his. Then ctrl-f that sentence on every page of the thread and you won't find anything.

First time I'm hearing that all your posts can get deleted when you're banned. What did he do that all his posts were removed?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I ... didn't even know that was possible. Do you have his userid? I'll try to investigate.

First time I'm hearing that all your posts can get deleted when you're banned. What did he do that all his posts were removed?

That is not something that has happened in the past as far as I am aware. It is possible, because Vennt (a former admin) deleted his account fully when he quit, but the posts are still there, just the account says Ghost or something but I'm not aware of it ever happening besides that.

Deitus

It just takes me to the top of the page, his posts aren't there if I search by ctrl+f, so I guess he disappeared on my end :0

2spooky4me

Weird, never heard of that happening before. I wonder if it's a bug. Usually even the worst offenders aren't completely obliterated from existence. Individual posts, yeah, but not entire post history.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Issue resolved: Account was "deleted" by request--I believe it was actually that all the posts were hidden and the account was renamed.

... and apparently I was the one who processed the request, so goes to show how reliable my memory is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom