• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
These curated lists all come from the same echo chamber listing games that were already popular and well known on the old Steam. I'm not sure if this is going to solve the discovery problem.

I do have a curator page focused on Indie Games that may have flown under the radar or that didn't have much word of mouth.

It must be great for youtubers who collect checks from publishers, as it's another thing they can charge for.

Other than that, I'm not really sure it does much for discovery. It might even hinder it, given what a hot mess the front page of the store looks like now.

Could someone more computer savvy than me tell me if I should bother getting the mac version of Metal Gear Rising?

Minimum specs:
Processor: Intel Core i series processor
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: AMD HD4870 / NVIDIA 650M / Intel Iris Graphics or better
Hard Drive: 27 GB available space

My specs (I have the early 2011 13' I7 macbook pro):
Processor: Intel core i7
Memory: 4 GB (I think?)
Graphics: Intel HD 3000

Mostly I guess I'm worried about the graphics, considering hd 3000 is apparently shit. I can run some games, like Arkham City pretty well though despite saying the graphics type isn't supported. But some games, like spec ops the line, are pretty much unplayable due to graphical glitches.

Dr Dogg

These curated lists all come from the same echo chamber listing games that were already popular and well known on the old Steam. I'm not sure if this is going to solve the discovery problem. Obviously more time is needed but I think we'll end up seeing a lot of the more popular curators listing basically duplicate titles... titles that would have risen to the top anyway.

Well unless you are following a curator or browse through the list of them the only way you'll see the recommendations from them is via the store page for the items themselves which is kind of pointless for discoverability as you would have found it anyway. It seems more about promotion for all parties concerned, Valve, publisher, curator, even more so the system looks to be geared to supporting curators who have off-site content more than just the average Steam user. End of the day for me it's not curation but promotion and to better serve the end user it needs an awful lot of work.

Interfectum

It must be great for youtubers who collect checks from publishers, as it's another thing they can charge for.

Other than that, I'm not really sure it does much for discovery. It might even hinder it, given what a hot mess the front page of the store looks like now.

It feels like this curation change has turned Steam from a meritocracy to a popularity contest. Your game now has to be good and noticed by popular youtubers.

kiyomi

Could someone more computer savvy than me tell me if I should bother getting the mac version of Metal Gear Rising?

Minimum specs:
Processor: Intel Core i series processor
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: AMD HD4870 / NVIDIA 650M / Intel Iris Graphics or better
Hard Drive: 27 GB available space

My specs (I have the early 2011 13' I7 macbook pro):
Processor: Intel core i7
Memory: 4 GB (I think?)
Graphics: Intel HD 3000

Mostly I guess I'm worried about the graphics, considering hd 3000 is apparently shit. I can run some games, like Arkham City pretty well though despite saying the graphics type isn't supported. But some games, like spec ops the line, are pretty much unplayable due to graphical glitches.

I'm amazed you can even run Arkham City!

I wouldn't really recommend purchasing it based on your specs, I think it'd be a really poor experience.

Ozium

just 100% cheevo'd Beyond Gravity... a great little casual game to play while having your morning coffee...

gonna go finish up 6180 The Moon today I think... I really recommend this game. It's pretty short but the concept is refreshing in a sea of generic indie platformers. The game is very minimalistic and has a wraparound screen mechanic (like some of the rooms in VVVVVV) And the soundtrack is phenomenal.

edit: also been playing the OG Half-Life and that shit is janky as hell... the weapons feel like nothing happens when you shoot and it has this weird lock on? da fuq.... also can shoot a human soldier 3 times from close range with a shotgun and he doesn't even flinch... volvo pls

I've actually found a few good titles that I didn't know about on Steam thanks to following some curators who tend to like the same games as me, I saw that 3 of them recommended the same game, so I was like, damn I should buy that.

Happy Friday!

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FiveElementNinja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

To The Moon -- MB-6C5970B303D37067 - Taken by The Reloader

Arthea

kiyomi

edit: also been playing the OG Half-Life and that shit is janky as hell... the weapons feel like nothing happens when you shoot and it has this weird lock on? da fuq.... also can shoot a human soldier 3 times from close range with a shotgun and he doesn't even flinch... volvo pls

I tried to play Half Life 1 for the first time recently, and I think it has aged awfully. I couldn't enjoy it at all. The crapness of the guns really was what put me off.

I installed HL2 today and played 30 minutes of it, and it is 1,000x times better.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
for some reason I thought Retro/Grade was more of a shoot'em up and less of a rhythm game, but this is OK too!

Dr Dogg

I think I'm going to finish Ethan Carter way longer than most as I'm stopping every 5 paces to take a plethora of screenies.
15175749838_89874c974f_o.png
15339302806_a0d355d216_o.png
15175590860_1aefc34c6b_o.png

Happy Friday!

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FiveElementNinja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Lilly Looking Through -- MB-A8742D83ABFF0A16 - Taken by AsylumX

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Divinity is such a cool game but fuck me it's borderline unfair during the fights north of the starter town, when you try to solve the murder case.

No chance up there, do I have to level up first or buy better gear? 'Cause I have no idea where to actually go shopping..

FauX

Some IndieGala Games for free

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FauX, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Motte Island -- MB-ABB538086A2FFC31 - Taken by TheMadMan007
Explodemon -- MB-37A6D7DC9303C3CB - Taken by Kuroyume
The Witch's Yarn -- MB-644BE01F5D5AE574 - Taken by Phawx
To the Moon -- MB-C530881FDAF8F59A - Taken by MillionStabs
Deponia -- MB-EE808BB5A3FB3156 - Taken by Htown

Corpekata

Banned
Divinity is such a cool game but fuck me it's borderline unfair during the fights north of the starter town, when you try to solve the murder case.

No chance up there, do I have to level up first or buy better gear? 'Cause I have no idea where to actually go shopping..

You should almost always be roughly the same level as the enemies. If they're more than 1 above you there's likely content you should be doing instead. Start with the graveyard and the west side exit of town if you haven't done them yet.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
All those shadows of Mordor in activity feed aren't helping (><)

I was looking forward to Mordor, but the whole Ultra texture pack thing has dampened my plans to play it as I'm a stickler for max settings. 8GB 970s/980s are currently rumoured for a Nov/Dec release, which, if true, means I'll be waiting a while and... may even have to put off AssCreed Unity. *faints* Oh well, at least there's Styx, which I can slot in now that I have a buyer lined up for my X360.

Terra_Ex

Do as many non-combat quests as you can inside Cyseal first to gain a level or two. Then head out of town to the west, heading for the lighthouse is a good first goal. The north and east areas should be tackled later as the enemies will be a bit beyond your abilities right now. A general early game rule is if an enemy is 2 or more levels higher than you, you'll get decimated so explore elsewhere first.

Arthea

I was looking forward to Mordor, but the whole Ultra texture pack thing has dampened my plans to play it as I'm a stickler for max settings. 8GB 970s/980s are currently rumoured for a Nov/Dec release, which, if true, means I'll be waiting a while and... may even have to put off AssCreed Unity. *faints* Oh well, at least there's Styx, which I can slot in now that I have a buyer lined up for my X360.

you kidding right?
"put off Unity" tipped me off (><)

JaseC

you kidding right?
"put off Unity" tipped me off (><)

I don't expect Mordor to actually need 6GB VRAM for Ultra settings at 1080p, however the situation does give rise to the very distinct possibility that something will need >4GB VRAM at 1080p in the not-too-distant future, so I'd prefer to insure myself against disappointment.... provided the premium isn't north of $100.

Yakkue

Well, that's annoying. Why isn't there a "show anyway" option? Especially since in this case the other review is actually in english as well, but steam somehow filed it as "dutch".

I think I'm going to finish Ethan Carter way longer than most as I'm stopping every 5 paces to take a plethora of screenies.
That game looks amazing, great screenshots!

Arthea

I don't expect Mordor to actually need 6GB VRAM for Ultra settings at 1080p, however the situation does give rise to the very distinct possibility that something will need >4GB VRAM at 1080p in the not-too-distant future, so I'd prefer to insure myself against disappointment.... provided the premium isn't north of $100.

something at some point, surely
Also I thought you have a breaking apart old as this world monitor

edited:
suddenly so many Milambers are posting, weird, don't you think?

Dr Dogg

Seeing as you're pretty much guaranteed to play Unity I'd be more inclined to hold off upgrading until that comes out to see where things lie. Even if it's a bang up port I'd say that it's going to need a lot of GPU grunt and some hefty VRAM to get the best out of it. Black Flag could easily use 2.6gb of VRAM at 1920x1080 with 4xTXAA and got even higher at 2560x1440 and that's a cross gen game. With all the Nvidia bells and whistles included I'd say it's 2 top end cards in SLI to get in and around 60fps with all the eye candy turned up.

8GB vram?! I'm definitely going to upgrade my 780

fantomena

Asking again about Ethan Carter
What do I do with this other dimension which opens when I for example touch a body?

Edit: Oh shit, we have a game ot lol.

wagamer

I just recently started Divinity and had this exact problem. As others said the western area is good to go when you've done some of the quests found in the town. The same fight can be both impossible or relatively easy, on lower levels especially the outcome can depend much on luck.
One fight comes to mind, the one where you fight wolves with a dog on your side. I got decimated a few times as the dog missed its first strike and got killed. On final try the wolves missed a lot and the dog didn't, and I won it quickly.
Quicksave/load is your friend :)

Many of the quests require you to explore the hard areas though, I kinda wish the game had a little more freedom of choice in regards to where you can go. It feels a bit "corridor-like", at least in the beginning.

JaseC

something at some point, surely
Also I thought you have a breaking apart old as this world monitor

Yeah, that's still going. ;)

Seeing as you're pretty much guaranteed to play Unity I'd be more inclined to hold off upgrading until that comes out to see where things lie. Even if it's a bang up port I'd say that it's going to need a lot of GPU grunt and some hefty VRAM to get the best out of it. Black Flag could easily use 2.6gb of VRAM at 1920x1080 with 4xTXAA and got even higher at 2560x1440 and that's a cross gen game. With all the Nvidia bells and whistles included I'd say it's 2 top end cards in SLI to get in and around 60fps with all the eye candy turned up.

Yeah, my current plan is to buy one 970 in the near future and another after the Winter Sale. I need to get away from this 2GB VRAM ceiling I currently have, and as it so happens a 970 is approximately equal to two 670s, anyway.

8GB vram?! I'm definitely going to upgrade my 780

To be clear, the game won't need 8GB VRAM for Ultra settings; it's just that there won't be 6GB 970s/980s due to the 256-bit bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom