• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khronico

Just beat Leon's campaign in RE6. I... actually really enjoyed it. The gunplay and movement mechanics are SO good that even though the campaign itself is pretty average it was super fun. I was learning new moves right up until the final boss, and I still feel like I haven't mastered it yet. I look forward to playing the other campaigns in the near future.

---

As an aside, Shadow of Mordor is the first game in quite a long time that has tempted me to preorder. I had this moment last night where I was looking at the BST thread ALMOST on the brink of buying the premium edition. I really shouldn't spend money right now but it looks so GOOD....

To be clear, the game won't need 8GB VRAM; it's just that there won't be 6GB 970s/980s due to the 256-bit bus.

Yeah, I know. I just like to stay somewhat ahead of the curve. I can already see that 3GB VRAM is not enough to last this gen if I want to play at max settings.

Ozium

I just found out JaseC played a mod of Half Life 2 which means no cards which means he actually played something that isn't an Ubisoft game.

WTF?!

MattyG

Banned
I can't decide between Shadow of Mordor on PC ( I have a i5 @3.4ghz, and a 760 2GB) or on PS4. Which do you guys think I should go with?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just found out JaseC played a mod of Half Life 2 which means no cards which means he actually played something that isn't an Ubisoft game.

WTF?!

Oh, yeah, Minerva. I felt like playing Half-Life but didn't want to break my "I won't play through the series again until Episode Three is around the corner" rule that I forced upon myself.... after finishing Episode Two in 2007. Seven years and counting!

I can't decide between Shadow of Mordor on PC ( I have a i5 @3.4ghz, and a 760 2GB) or on PS4. Which do you guys think I should go with?
Well one of them will potentially perform and look better if you upgrade your hardware later, and it ain't the PS4 version.

But honestly just go with the one that you think will perform better now, I guess.

Miguel81

heheyfubp.gif

I giggled

Edit: I'm wondering what cards AMD are gonna drop on the table. They've been more generous with VRAM this last cycle.

MattyG

Banned
Well one of them will potentially perform and look better if you upgrade your hardware later, and it ain't the PS4 version.

But honestly just go with the one that you think will perform better now, I guess.
Yeah I guess that makes sense. I'm not sure how well my 760 will handle high settings (I'm assuming the PS4 version is the high settings). Not sure if I'll be able to do high and 1080p at around 60fps or not with it.

Yeah I guess that makes sense. I'm not sure how well my 760 will handle high settings (I'm assuming the PS4 version is the high settings). Not sure if I'll be able to do high and 1080p at around 60fps or not with it.
I have a 760 as well, and I'm shooting for High with maybe a couple things bumped down to medium (like textures since us 2GB card plebs have to use medium), but I plan on picking it up later on the cheap anyway, so whatever.

MadGear

So i just wanted to listen to a podcast while doing a casual mission on CS:GO (consumer grade weapon ... again) using steams music player for the first time. I was honestly surprised to see that this thing lacks somethings as mandatory as a seekbar. I also wish i could use the media keys on my keyboard to control that thing.
But overall its actually nice to use a music player without needing to tab out when running a game in fullscreen instead of fullscreen windowed.

Ozium

Oh, yeah, Minerva. I felt like playing Half-Life but didn't want to break my "I won't play through the series again until Episode Three is around the corner" rule that I forced upon myself.... after finishing Episode Two in 2007. Seven years and counting!

Was it good? I grabbed that and Estranged: Act I... Are there any other HL/HL2 mods on steam? I see Half Life Before but that looks like poo...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Was it good? I grabbed that and Estranged: Act I... Are there any other HL/HL2 mods on steam? I see Half Life Before but that looks like poo...

Yeah, it's a great, distilled HL2 experience. The creator was later hired by Valve to work on Episode Three and was one of the main brains behind the Portal 2 ARGs.

Edit: The mod has its own OST, too.

lmpaler

At least one review did say it was similar in gameplay to AssCreed and the Arkham games. The former had jank all the way to the bank.

Yeah I noticed all that watching this. My biggest gripe with all of the games mentioned is that the enemies just don't come in full bore. One, two, maybe 3 at a time even though you are clearly outnumbered 10 fold. I was hoping as these types of games progressed the enemies would try to overwhelm the hero more.

"1440P"

"MAX SETTINGS"

>on youtube

Haha, yeah, but that is all we have currently soooo :(

Glad that Mordor seems to be good. I've been excited for it since it was announced, but I've still been a little worried it was gonna be bad. No region restrictions, right? What's the cheapest it goes for?

The trailer for Book 4 of Korra has got me super hyped for the game. I really hope it doesn't suck, I've always wanted a good Avatar game.

And I got a settlement check from Apple today, because of their stupid water damage warranty policies. $187. Bought some RAM and a wireless card for my WIP rig. I'll put the remaining ~$100 towards a 970. #BALLIN

MattyG

Banned
If price is a concern you can get them ever cheaper in the BST thread.
Ah, I'll look into that. It's not really a concern, I just figure if I can save a few $20 on a couple games here and there, maybe I can squeeze another one in in November.

Does anyone know if GMG charges your card immediately or only on release day?

For those of you who want Electronic Super Joy: Groove City for 27 cents.
Add the game to your wishlist, and restart steam. The 90% off coupon should be in your inventory and then buy it.

Painkiller Bundle leftovers, get em while they're hot!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (CrunchyFrog, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Painkiller Recurring Evil -- MB-424EB3393A281798 - Taken by Diedac
Painkiller Redemption -- MB-007EDE7FE30D4F59 - Taken by Phawx
Painkiller Resurrection -- MB-5BCE6E60F91B6C5A - Taken by rainking187

Kuroyume

Banned
For those of you who want Electronic Super Joy: Groove City for 27 cents.
Add the game to your wishlist, and restart steam. The 90% off coupon should be in your inventory and then buy it.

Wtf... Was about to do that and it said I already owned the game.

Was it in a bundle or did people who got the first one get it for free?

Isn't there some way for Steam to make it so you don't get coupons for games you already own? I got two of those Electronic Super Joy coupons. And there were those coupons for Payday 2 and Hotline Miami where if you owned one you got a coupon for the other one, but if you owned both you got a coupon for both. Why?

Jawmuncher

Isn't there some way for Steam to make it so you don't get coupons for games you already own? I got two of those Electronic Super Joy coupons. And there were those coupons for Payday 2 and Hotline Miami where if you owned one you got a coupon for the other one, but if you owned both you got a coupon for both. Why?

To give to friends so they can buy or to buy the games again yourself and gift them.

rtcn63

How did your penis feel about this?

Confused, disappointed, cautiously open-minded, then even more confused.

Pardon the misogyny, but she had the body of a five-foot goddess. Pale, curvy with fat stores in all the right places above and below the waist. She did date another co-worker, who openly bragged about cheating on her when they were together. He looks 12.

Parsnip

I was looking forward to Mordor, but the whole Ultra texture pack thing has dampened my plans to play it as I'm a stickler for max settings. 8GB 970s/980s are currently rumoured for a Nov/Dec release, which, if true, means I'll be waiting a while and... may even have to put off AssCreed Unity. *faints* Oh well, at least there's Styx, which I can slot in now that I have a buyer lined up for my X360.

How dare you even consider putting off Unity.

I'm looking forward to whatever comparisons digital foundry etc are going to do with Mordor. Based on the settings screen I'll have to settle for medium textures, but it remains to be seen how big the difference actually is.

Jawmuncher

How dare you even consider putting off Unity.

I'm looking forward to whatever comparisons digital foundry etc are going to do with Mordor. Based on the settings screen I'll have to settle for medium textures, but it remains to be seen how big the difference actually is.

I see them having one hell of a field day with it . Should be interesting to see how it all compares.

Aaron D.

Divinity is such a cool game but fuck me it's borderline unfair during the fights north of the starter town, when you try to solve the murder case.

No chance up there, do I have to level up first or buy better gear? 'Cause I have no idea where to actually go shopping..

My shameful confession:

I spent a good 12+ hours in the starter town wringing it dry of all the bonus quest content and loving every minute of it.

I then ventured out of town for the first time to continue the murder case and promptly got my ass kicked by the first set of enemies I tangled with. After several tries, I just gave up.

Haven't picked up the game since.

rtcn63

My shameful confession:

I spent a good 12+ hours in the starter town wringing it dry of all the bonus quest content and loving every minute of it.

I then ventured out of town for the first time to continue the murder case and promptly got my ass kicked by the first set of enemies I tangled with. After several tries, I just gave up.

Haven't picked up the game since.

This is pretty much the entire game. I'm near reaching the last map, and it actually becomes difficult finding enemies your level to grind. And the balance- in combination with the already iffy combat mechanics, which may be terrible depending on what class you chose- is well, not very. I've had normal fights against five enemies that were more difficult than a boss + minions that were a level higher in the same area.

Oh, and don't get the illusion that the game isn't linear. Because it is. But with almost nonexistent direction at times. The first map is strangely the most enjoyable. I recall rescuing an important NPC, only to have them not really instruct me as to what to do next. It was basically "keep doing the other quests you were already doing, and they'll probably get the main story to progress at some point." The best part? In your journal, it will keep saying that the NPC has told you exactly what you need to do next.

From what I've read, it's an easy game for CRPG veterans, and upwards of borderline arse for newcomers to the genre.

Tellaerin

Confused, disappointed, cautiously open-minded, then even more confused.

Pardon the misogyny, but she had the body of a five-foot goddess. Pale, curvy with fat stores in all the right places above and below the waist. She did date another co-worker, who openly bragged about cheating on her when they were together. He looks 12.

I see no hatred of women in this post.

In other news, I was doing pretty well at convincing myself that Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel was going to be more of the same and that I could safely ignore it for the foreseeable future. (I'm only just level 30 in BL2 now.) Then I made the mistake of watching this preview trailer and now I find myself wanting the damn thing after all.

Finished Transistor. Quite short and I have to say the gameplay is... not really that engaging.

Though the story is good and the style and music are phenomenal. As a game it falls short though I have to say.

danthefan

Hopefully I've done this right:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (danthefan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Gone Home With Soundtrack -- MB-9A0C7D6AC6566EF8 - Taken by DaBargainHunta
The Bridge -- MB-4DCAA95CBEC29306 - Taken by CrunchyFrog
Gunpoint -- MB-9683875A3BFB6117 - Taken by nja
SteamWorld Dig -- MB-FC0A25EDBB7A2E55 - Taken by pupo
Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine -- MB-35685DF80EB0B26C - Taken by Tesseract
Hammerwatch -- MB-23E319988FCEE688 - Taken by GaussTek
Race the Sun -- MB-11A3088F500D9F35 - Taken by Kifimbo

AHA-Lambda

This is pretty much the entire game. I'm near reaching the last map, and it actually becomes difficult finding enemies your level to grind. And the balance- in combination with the already iffy combat mechanics, which may be terrible depending on what class you chose- is well, not very. I've had normal fights against five enemies that were more difficult than a boss + minions that were a level higher in the same area.

Oh, and don't get the illusion that the game isn't linear. Because it is. But with almost nonexistent direction at times. The first map is strangely the most enjoyable. I recall rescuing an important NPC, only to have them not really instruct me as to what to do next. It was basically "keep doing the other quests you were already doing, and they'll probably get the main story to progress at some point." The best part? In your journal, it will keep saying that the NPC has told you exactly what you need to do next.

From what I've read, it's an easy game for CRPG veterans, and upwards of borderline arse for newcomers to the genre.

uh oh, and I'm having a hard time enough getting used to Wasteland 2 ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom