• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, with all the pants shitting over Mordor's Super Ultra texture vram requirement, it got me thinking to the next and only game that would improve my life by playing on maxed out graphics that require more than the 1gb of vram I have.

Just Cause 3 will look amazing. Max view distance.

Woolieswag.gif

Would one guy saying they are really make you ignore all the other negative comments?
If it was at 1-2€ I'd take the risk by few gaffers with good experience but at 10 bucks... yeah, better not. Still, would be nice if Opium could be vindicated for future deals.
I also noticed I follow their steam group, huh.
---
More Divinity than Mass Effect (maybe the console version is a bit like Mass Effect). The PC version has an overhead camera with RTS style controls, and a large focus on unit placement. In your comparison, the combat system would be a lot closer to Divinity than Mass Effect (although it is real time rather than turn based like Divinity: OS).
The console version lowered the camera angle quite a bit, and reduced the importance of unit placement and targeted spells, in order to accommodate controllers, which made it more actiony and less strategic. Dragon Age 2 took it a step further, and is a lot more comparable to Mass Effect.
To my shame, I have to admit I never seriously played isometric/strategic RPG. So, I was afraid of Dragon Age's mechanic to be overwhelming/complicated for a newcomer like me.
The videos of Inquisition look very nice though, so I have the feeling that I should play DA:O sooner or later to enjoy DA:I more when the time comes.
---
You know much may have been said and now done but at night and when it's raining Watch Dogs has a certain look to it that I still find pleasing.
Even interior shots have a lot going on in the background.
I know day-night cycles are all the rage for open world games but maybe as a design choice having that almost perpetual overcast rainy day look ala Se7en could have worked wonders for Watch_Dogs.
Is it known which engine WD uses? Daytime lightning is so much worse compared to nighttime or rainy weather, it's baffling. Would get WD:CE for 7€, just like I did FC3. I have patience, so no worries here :)
---
Welp another year has passed and I'm another year older. Kind of depressing but at least there's some Dark Souls 2 3rd DLC in my future tonight.
Happy birthday to you too! You sound a bit down, don't be!

Dr Dogg

so how easy is it to setup a physx dedicated card anyway? how does that even work?

This easy. You don't need an SLI bridge but you need your main GPU in the top PCIe slot and then put the GPU you want to run PhysX off of in any other PCIe slot on you board (preferable spaced out so both cards can breath a little). And then select that card to do PhysX in Nvidia Control Panel like so.

You should have listed there two cards as well as CPU from the drop down selection. Just select the right card, click apply at the bottom (it might tell you to close down some applications first) and that's it.

I don't know that Catwoman sequence in the vault in City was pretty dope, that money flipping around from her whip looked incredible.

I always had problems with PhysX in City when I played through it. Might have a look now I've got enough grunt.

Is it known which engine WD uses? Daytime lightning is so much worse compared to nighttime or rainy weather, it's baffling. Would get WD:CE for 7€, just like I did FC3. I have patience, so no worries here :)

Despite being labeled as a new engine called Disrupt it appears to be a Frankenstein job of combining Far Cry's Dunia Engine with parts of Assassin's Creed's Anvil Next as well as stuff from Splinter Cell's Unreal Engine 2.5 base but heavily modified. Black Flag had cheats you could unlock and set the time of day to various settings, I wish that was in Watch_Dogs :(

You know, with all the pants shitting over Mordor's Super Ultra texture vram requirement, it got me thinking to the next and only game that would improve my life by playing on maxed out graphics that require more than the 1gb of vram I have.

With an absolutely bonkers multiplayer mod to top it off. Just cause 2 multi mod was such a joy to play with.

Annubis

This easy. You don't need an SLI bridge but you need your main GPU in the top PCIe slot and then put the GPU you want to run PhysX off of in any other PCIe slot on you board (preferable spaced out so both cards can breath a little). And then select that card to do PhysX in Nvidia Control Panel like so.

You should have listed there two cards as well as CPU from the drop down selection. Just select the right card, click apply at the bottom (it might tell you to close down some applications first) and that's it.

I always had problems with PhysX in City when I played through it. Might have a look now I've got enough grunt.

Interesting. I guess whenever I get a new card I'll keep the old one in just for this.

Does anyone know if Humus is still with Avalanche? The dude is a genius and if he is I bet has something amazing cooking with JC3.

Miguel81

Hopefully, AMD will be releasing new drivers around time of The Evil Within release. It's been over a month since the last Beta, and OpenGL games bring the pain to Team Red.

Grief.exe

To my shame, I have to admit I never seriously played isometric/strategic RPG. So, I was afraid of Dragon Age's mechanic to be overwhelming/complicated for a newcomer like me.
The videos of Inquisition look very nice though, so I have the feeling that I should play DA:O sooner or later to enjoy DA:I more when the time comes.

DA:O is consistently recommended for those new to the genre.

I don't know whether to get Mordor or not. I'm sooo close, but Warner means a sale before long. But all this GMG credit...

Have they sent out keys yet, btw?

Hopefully, AMD will be releasing new drivers around time of The Evil Within release. It's been over a month since the last Beta, and OpenGL games bring the pain to Team Red.

Yeah...Catalyst 14.9 drivers got released

I don't know whether to get Mordor or not. I'm sooo close, but Warner means a sale before long. But all this GMG credit...

They sent out a tweet (GMG) that they are trying to get the keys out as quick as they can

This is shaping up nicely:

I don't know if it's possible but could you either add an additional section reserved for only those recommendations from your followed curators or filter to that effect in the existing section? Also when browsing an in-store game list there should be some tick box on each line that says "recommended by x curators you follow" with a list of said curators on mouseover. Also enchanted steam needs to make me a sammich. So there.

Dr Dogg

Well lets see. It's got good reviews with some pleasing quotes that might fit on a box, there is a season pass already available with various knick knacks for content, there's preorder content not listed in the season pass and it's come out at the right time to still be fresh in the mind by the end of the year. All those elements says to me it's more than likely going to get a GotY Edition later on down the line.

oipic

Watching a stream of Shadows of Mordor. Color me impressed, time to use my GMG credit.

I'm tempted to do the same, but I've so far strangely baulked at the thought of spending $50 of 'free' GMG money when I could purchase the game for only ~$25-30 instead from elsewhere, maybe in the hope that, one day, GMG will have a class-leading Great Deal on something else.

First-world Steam bargain hunting problems.

DukeBobby

Hopefully Shadow of Mordor has playfire rewards.

Then again, I'm so slow at playing games that I'll run out of time before getting most of the achievements.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
--

---

No, I'd actually say DA:O is a pretty good game to get into the genre. It's not as complex as the old D&D games way less punishing while still offering some depth.

xBladeM6x

Gaming is being held back by the sub-6GB VRAM-peasants. Those 970 are barely good enough to be used as dedicated PhysX cards.

I wish you posted that in the PC Master Race sub-reddit. People would lose their shit.... or even worse, agree with you. Even though obvious sarcasm is implied.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Happened to me and im not even beta.

This is just an example of someone at Valve screwing up.

Any page in the Steam domain that's not available will redirect to the home page. So someone put an ad in the "Update News" rotation that points to a URL that doesn't exist and thus redirects to the home page.

Just another glaring reminder that the client is still just a web browser.

34 minutes left in case anybody wants to try their hand

ModBot said:
Instructions for Bubbavelli:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Bubbavelli, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Binding of Isaac Collection -- MB-AFC90617ECC46CC3 - Taken by The Red Wizard. 8 entrants total.

t1412034246z1.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
by the way that 970 benchmark had "ultra" selected on textures soooooooooooo....what?

I guess the 6gb vram PS4 textures is only for the seperate texture pack...so its ultra utra! twice the ultra. Man that PS4 is so good, wish I had 2 of them instead of just 1 :(

iosefe

by the way that 970 benchmark had "ultra" selected on textures soooooooooooo....what?

I guess the 6gb vram PS4 textures is only for the seperate texture pack...so its ultra utra! twice the ultra. Man that PS4 is so good, wish I had 2 of them instead of just 1 :(

3 times the ultra

Jørdan

i8zMRrM.png

While we are on the client, is the blue header new(ish)? It was only yesterday I noticed, thinking the client would look great if the surrounding was too.

I feel really uncomfortable having so many poors who know nothing in this thread. Not sure how others feel but I really think it would be better if there was a minimum hardware requirement to post in this thread. Nothing too crazy by PC standards, perhaps a single GTX Titan Z?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom