• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that something people do? Because I have no idea and my idea was to just wait a while and put another 780 in. Does that make sense to do? I was mostly just planning on doing it because I'm stupid with money.

That's what I planned on doing with my 7850, I was going to buy a second one eventually, but now I'm just going to get a 970 and sell my 7850, and then hopefully get another 970 in the future.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Hey if it isn't broke don't fix it. Especially with current tech trends and how the semiconductor industry has been going as of late. If you have something reasonably new now, wether that's a CPU, GPU, even motherboards and memory, and are feeling the itch to upgrade for a marginal increase in performance (sometimes one not really needed) then in 6 months to a years time there will be something else out with yet another marginal gain, and the next year and the next year. The recent trend of 2500k owners panicking that their CPU is lagging behind is comical. In fact I'd say any 2500k owner who has a decent sample that clocks really well hang on to that for dear life. New tech every year (or ever 2 even) is for benchmarkers, people with swathes of disposable income or wallies.

Good advice, only in my case, I don't overclock anymore.

Slightly cheaper at Nuuvem, but they are out of keys at the moment, so you won't be able to register the game on Steam up to 09.10

Thanks for the heads up!

derExperte

Is that something people do? Because I have no idea and my idea was to just wait a while and put another 780 in. Does that make sense to do? I was mostly just planning on doing it because I'm stupid with money.

Usually it's better to sell off your old card and get a newer one, the 'I'll buy a second when they get cheaper' plany rarely pan out but if you can find a dirt-cheap 780 (I haven't seen any great deals around here) then sure, could make sense.

Good advice, only in my case, I don't overclock anymore.

But that's the specific purpose of the K-series, it was born to be overclocked. Also oc was never easier, no fiddling around with the front side bus or RAM, just dial up the multiplier.

derExperte

Why are all the 970 variants cheaper than my 780 still is? Console gamers were right, PC gaming is some bullshit!

Because the 780 is EOL. End of life. Defunct. They're selling off what's still in warehouses and that probably isn't all that much. Only the 760 got an official price cut. Best way to get one cheap is probably through the used market.

Dr Dogg

Well I'm not hurting for performance using one 780 except in some cases where games have crazy effects going on and with 2 1920x1080 is just overkill (the 'troublesome' Watch Dogs, Black Flag and Dead Rising 3 hit the 50-60fps sweet spot with a bit of tweaking even on one card). Even 2560x1440 is a sinch for 2 780's. I posted that crazy 8k DMC 4 benchmark a while back where I got an average of 70fps in that with 2 cards and 4k in Dark Souls I & II isn't really a problem on 1 card let alone 2. Big budget games are getting a bit more costly on effects though (maybe Ryse will be to be the yard stick for the future for multi-platform releases, Xbox One at least). Looking at prices I'm seeing for secondhand 780s right now is about £200-£300 depending on how well they clock but I've seen brand new 780Ti's going for £350 and some 780s even less as retailers are clearing their stock.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Why are all the 970 variants cheaper than my 780 still is? Console gamers were right, PC gaming is some bullshit!

Mature manufacturing process = higher yields = lower manufacturing costs = cheaper prices, plus new (as in unopened) PC hardware doesn't really depreciate in value much.

tioslash

I feel like I'm only one not upgrading
allalone.jpg

You´re definitely not alone :) I built a new rig last year, and that included a GTX 760 which I´m planning to keep it for a while.

In order of upgrade throughout last years I had a HD3850 > HD6850 > GTX 760 > ??

Maybe in 2 years I buy a new one, I don´t know.

liezryou

Woohoo done with the biggest/hardest part of my finals.

Time for some wasteland 2.

Does anyone want mordor season pass or premium edition for cheapo? Might do a quickie on b/s/t before sale ends.

Arthea

In your case I'd sell the 780 and use the money to buy a 970 (or rather buy a 970 and then sell the 780 to get the money back). You should easily be able to sell it for $330 or perhaps even a little more.

Are you serious? Why would you sell fairly new card that costs ~$900 (here at least) for $300 to buy even more expensive one. That makes no sense.

Cerity

I don't know what to do with my 280X

Sell it now while you can still manage to get a half decent price out of it.

There have been huge numbers of 7970/280x/290(x)'s being pushed through on a computer hardware trading forum I'm apart of, as miners dump move onto different hardware. Most people selling are struggling to get 180-190AUD for the 280x's, even the non-miners trying to sell. It's only going to get worse.

JaseC

Are you serious? Why would you sell fairly new card that costs ~$900 (here at least) for $300 to buy even more expensive one. That makes no sense.

His profile doesn't mention a location so I'm just assuming he lives in the US, where the 970 is $330. I looked eBay.com and a few used 780s have sold recently for ~$350 or more.

Vuze

So, did somebody in here get Dying Light from Russia? I heard it's "tagged" as RU, so I'm hesistant to get it from there but on the other hand it could get locked for cross-region trading anytime ;_;

the struggle

JaseC

So, did somebody in here get Dying Light from Russia? I heard it's "tagged" as RU, so I'm hesistant to get it from there but on the other hand it could get locked for cross-region trading anytime ;_;

the struggle

It's not going to be region-locked in a way that impacts those who already own the game. It's too late for that and has been since the game was made available.

aku:jiki

His profile doesn't mention a location so I'm just assuming he lives in the US, where the 970 is $330. I looked eBay.com and a few used 780s have sold recently for ~$350 or more.
I take deep offense at this insinuation that I'd ever applaud after a meal. I am swedish!

Seems the new cards are, using lazy math, about $500 while my old one is $600. I might get $350 for it, which would make a 970 purchase easier. But then again nothing but Metro 2033 has ever performed poorly for me, so maybe not.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
But that's the specific purpose of the K-series, it was born to be overclocked. Also oc was never easier, no fiddling around with the front side bus or RAM, just dial up the multiplier.

I have a K series for the same reason that I have a windowed version of a FT02. It was cheaper than the alternate version.

Vuze

It's not going to be region-locked in a way that impacts those who already own the game. It's too late for that and has been since the game was made available.
I was rather thinking about the RU version being russian-language only or something (I think you said that's the case i.e. with Watch Dogs a while ago). I guess we can't really know at this point, eh?

JaseC

I was rather thinking about the RU version being russian-language only or something (I think you said that's the case i.e. with Watch Dogs a while ago). I guess we can't really know at this point, eh?

Language restrictions are region-locks in and of themselves, so again it's not something that's going to happen. Watch Dogs did receive a notice on its Russian store page a few weeks after pre-orders went live to say that only Russian would be supported, however the game was locked with ACRTAG from the off, so it doesn't really apply here.

redlacs' post reminded me that I have 3 vouchers. Please PM if you are interested in any of the following:

50% OFF Payday 2
Valid until 29th September

25% OFF Iron Fisticle
Valid until 2nd October

50% OFF Nidhogg
Valid until 2nd October

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Inventory filling up with coupons... please go away

PM me if you want any:

The Raven - legacy of a master thief : 75 %
Payday 2 : 50 %
Cloud Chamber : 50 %
Nidhogg : 50 %
OlliOlli : 40 %
Iron Fisticle : 25 %
heavy bullets : 25 %
Pixel Piracy (x2) : 25 %

Arthea

I take deep offense at this insinuation that I'd ever applaud after a meal. I am swedish!

Seems the new cards are, using lazy math, about $500 while my old one is $600. I might get $350 for it, which would make a 970 purchase easier. But then again nothing but Metro 2033 has ever performed poorly for me, so maybe not.

wait, how come you paid only $600 for it? What about 21% VAT?
just curious

edited:. wait again, why 980 is less expensive? I only now noticed (><)

Deques

JaseC

Ah, in that case you'd be better served by getting your hands on a second 780.

Yeah, 007 Legends releasing in October didn't stop Acti from ditching the James Bond licence just three months later. That's why I always tell people to pick up Acti's licensed stuff ASAP; there's really no telling what's destined for its annual chopping block. I myself need to watch out for the latest Transformers and Spider-Man DLC, in addition to the Legend of Korra game.

I ended up caving and getting the WiiU version of 007 Legends. ($5 at Toys R Us clearance). Deactivision drives me crazy. I would like to buy their stuff on sale on the pc but they make it really hard to do so.

wait, how come you paid only $600 for it? What about 21% VAT?
just curious
I paid about $562 for it, 3990SEK at 7SEK per USD. That's with 25% VAT already included. (And shipping was free, if we want to go that far.)

Are you thinking I'm talking about a 780Ti? It's just an MSI 780.

Arthea

I paid about $562 for it, 3990SEK at 7SEK per USD. That's with 25% VAT already included. (And shipping was free, if we want to go that far.)

Are you thinking I'm talking about a 780Ti? It's just an MSI 780.

oh, my mistake, ya, I was talking about Ti
carry on

Dr Dogg

And this is pretty much the point I'm trying to make. Is really selling something that is trucking along fine and buying the only slightly newer shinier model for an extra $150 really worth it for what? A tiny increasing in performance, 1gb extra in VRAM and some newer features? For me it's just fucking stupid even more so that I got lucky with my cards and they overclock stupidly well. Even when performance becomes an issue I could always flash a custom BIOS and overvolt them and get more mileage out of them. Throwing money at a problem should always be a last resort in my eyes, especially a problem that doesn't even exist yet.

Arthea

And this is pretty much the point I'm trying to make. Is really selling something that is trucking along fine and buying the only slightly newer shinier model for an extra $150 really worth it for what? A tiny increasing in performance, 1gb extra in VRAM and some newer features? For me it's just fucking stupid even more so that I got lucky with my cards and they overclock stupidly well. Even when performance becomes an issue I could always flash a custom BIOS and overvolt them and get more mileage out of them. Throwing money at a problem should always be a last resort in my eyes, especially a problem that doesn't even exist yet.

you have a point, but throwing money (problem or not) seems to be our way, no? (><)

Coupons, copons everywhere

I would take couple of copons, actually
for science

Getting the 970 was Jase's suggestion based on US economics. It absolutely doesn't make sense with euro economics and my idea was always getting a second 780 next year sometime. Not because I need it but because I like spending money on stuff, and overkill is always nice for the lazy among us.

Vuze

Language restrictions are region-locks in and of themselves, so again it's not something that's going to happen. Watch Dogs did receive a notice on its Russian store page a few weeks after pre-orders went live to say that only Russian would be supported, however the game was locked with ACRTAG from the off, so it doesn't really apply here.
Okay then, cheers for the update. Better safe than sorry :p

And yeah, coupons... I also got some if somebody wants them, just tell me:
5003c246ee.jpg

Dr Dogg

you have a point, but throwing money (problem or not) seems to be our way, no? (><)

Oh definitely and that's what some people do. Watch Dogs was prompting folks to question if a 6gb 780 or Titian or swapping to AMD and a 290x would ease the stuttering issue despite owners of those cards also reporting exactly the same issue when they're weren't even close to running out of resources. Then there's the new found zeal of the nothing less than 60fps crowd who won't compromise some graphical features for their beloved update. A time comes when you have a trade off when you can't have your cake and eat it. The Witcher III is odds on to be in this camp where I'm going to go out on a limb and say that at release no combination of GPUs is going to max that game out at 1920x1080 unless you're willing to reign in some settings.

One of my favourite parts of getting a new GPU is letting it loose on older games and see what you can really push out of them (hence my crazy Dead Space series, DMC 4 and RE5 experiments some threads ago). Even more so to hook up my 120hz monitor and experience a fast update with no visual compromise.

But hey each to their own. I spend my money on some crazy things so I shouldn't chastise others if that's what they want to do.

Getting the 970 was Jase's suggestion based on US economics. It absolutely doesn't make sense with euro economics and my idea was always getting a second 780 next year sometime. Not because I need it but because I like spending money on stuff, and overkill is always nice for the lazy among us.

Oh for sure I know what you mean and with Dynamic Super Resolution, which is driver based downsampling, you won't really be wasting any performance at all as there's always higher and higher rendering resolutions to go before no aliasing is present. But then for me the frequency of updating and a yearly, 18 month cycle is nuts as you could get buyers remorse when the 1070 comes out a year after, then when the 1170 pops up 2 or more years later it's all over again and rice and repeat.

Even going with US prices it still doesn't make the upgrade one of substance on what you gain for what you could by waiting it out a year or two. As you said Metro 2033 is the only title you personally need a bit more performance so how much is that worth? Though I think we can all agree some (maybe most of us in here) like new toys to play with so the temptation is easy to see its just how rational a decision it is for each any every one of us. For me it's an irrational decision but if someone gains happiness from doing so then that's none of my business.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm not even going to post my coupons here cause everybody already has every coupon and nobody wants them.
Anybody here playing The Long Dark? Curious how that turned out to be. I'm a sucker for snowy environements.

Then you'll want to wait for the Titan successor due next year anyway.
But that'll be more than twice as expensive as another 780 at that point! I'm not made of money!

Oh for sure I know what you mean and with Dynamic Super Resolution, which is driver based downsampling, you won't really be wasting any performance at all as there's always higher and higher rendering resolutions to go before no aliasing is present. But it could,ES back to the frequency of updating and a yearly, 18 month cycle is nuts as you could get buyers remorse when the 1070 comes out a year after, then when the 1170 pops up 2 or more years later it's all over again and rice and repeat.

Even going with US prices it still doesn't make the upgrade one of substance on what you gain for what you could by waiting it out a year or two. As you said Metro 2033 is the only title you personally need a bit more performance so how much is that worth? Though I think we can all agree some (maybe most of us in here) like new toys to play with so the temptation is easy to see its just how rational a decision it is for each any every one of us. For me it's an irrational decision but if someone gains happiness from doing so then that's none of my business.
Well, I wouldn't really feel any remorse on a 12-18 month cycle, really. I do feel some now since I just built my machine 3 months ago and the 970 released cheaper, but I can deal with it since the price difference isn't much and I knew what PC hardware is like going in.

But, really, I play stuff like Binding of Isaac and Rogue Legacy, I have no business spending money on any graphics card! But I have the disposable income, no kids, almost completely debt-free (about 6-8 more months!) and since building the machine I like the thought of improving it slightly without going upgrade crazy. It's really just an excuse to find some easy gratification in spending money and tooling around inside the case. Maybe I'll learn a thing or two along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom