• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

Dayum. I'm impressed. I enjoyed the game a lot but still I gave up on getting all the stars, long before the end.

Game is not balanced on Expert. Some races are extremely easy but others are hard as hell. But i enjoyed every single minute playing it, even though raged few times :D

Or are you?
That's a good start, but don't forget time-trials!

EDIT: it's where mastery of the game is required. I managed to get a S-ranking for the whole campaign without even looking into risk boosts...

I did few Time-Trials on Expert and i got all gold medals in Time-Trials but as i said before game is not balanced on Expert and i hate that XD

Game is not balanced on Expert. Some races are extremely easy but others are hard as hell. But i enjoyed every single minute playing it, even though raged few times :D

I did few Time-Trials on Expert and i got all gold medals in Time-Trials but as i said before game is not balanced on Expert and i hate that XD

I quit too... I got the majority of S medals there but some races are just beyond frustrating, like you say.

Gross guys, for the first time since I was 5(going to be 21 next Monday for reference) I threw up. What an awful experience that was, my face and eyes were red and I was sweating. Is that honestly what you people go through when you're drunk or sick(except I'm assuming its worse since you already feel like shit)? Its been 20 minutes and I still got that awful taste in my mouth. :( I dont think I want to play games today, I'll most likely just shower and watch some anime when I get home.

Vlad

is speedrunners good for single player?? i want to get the game but idk if it will be a fun game to play alone

Probably not. While there is a single-player campaign and you can set up matches against bots, I can't really recommend either. The campaign seems almost tacked on, and the bots really aren't that great. It really is a multiplayer-focused game.

That said, I still HIGHLY recommend the multiplayer. Unlike a lot of other competitive games, the community isn't bad from what I've seen (it helps that you really don't have time to type much in-game, so there's not much chance for abuse). There's a ranking system, so you're not likely to be paired against people who will absolutely crush you in the beginning (although those are the best people to learn from).

I was playing through it, got about an hour in but I just find it extremely repetitive. At what point would you say it opens up and becomes more fun? I might just push through.

Ehhh, I can't say that it does. It's a short game (about five hours or so), but it never really goes past "dig for stuff, sell stuff, dig for more stuff". So what you didn't like in the first hour is pretty much what you'll be doing for the rest of the time, just more efficiently as you get better items.

It really should have been called Steamworld: Grind.

Dr Dogg

Well, I wouldn't really feel any remorse on a 12-18 month cycle, really. I do feel some now since I just built my machine 3 months ago and the 970 released cheaper, but I can deal with it since the price difference isn't much and I knew what PC hardware is like going in.

But, really, I play stuff like Binding of Isaac and Rogue Legacy, I have no business spending money on any graphics card! But I have the disposable income, no kids, almost completely debt-free (about 6-8 more months!) and since building the machine I like the thought of improving it slightly without going upgrade crazy. It's really just an excuse to find some easy gratification in spending money and tooling around inside the case. Maybe I'll learn a thing or two along the way.

Ouch yeah I can see how that might have come as a kick in the teeth.

Carmack made a comment during a QuakeCon keynote that custom PC's have become the new hot rodding and he's bang on there. When I was 17 I spent most of my disposable income on my car despite being at college. You know because I though girls would love my blinged out Vauxhall Nova (well they did but not the sort you'd take home to your parents). Now that I'm an old git, settled down, mortgage repayments and a sombre social life my disposable income goes in a large percent on my PC. But that just a tiny part of the appeal as the building, tweaking, cranking the BIOS settings, benchmarking, going after your friends scores, trying to squeeze as much out of your hardware as you can is an even bigger part for some people, myself included in some part. Others like to make their PC a work or art and customise their case or build one from scratch with the whole point of showing it off like a concourse event (some LAN events even do contests).

If folks are enthralled by that aspect of PC's then you can see the enjoyment from buying new stuff every year or even less. It's when someone just wants 5fps extra that I would recommend spending money elsewhere. I'd love to see everyone who wants a new GPU post what monitor they are currently using. I'm willing to stake some folks willing to splash out in a couple of $/€/£/local currency 100's have some horible monitors that would be a much, much more worthwhile upgrade.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Am I missing something in Banished? Game is awesome but super easy so far. I started my first game on Hard and while the first couple winters were rough I'm ten years in now with one death of old age, a huge and growing food surplus, and I'm building whatever specialty buildings I want. I want to keep playing but I don't feel challenged

Deitus

Gross guys, for the first time since I was 5(going to be 21 next Monday for reference) I threw up. What an awful experience that was, my face and eyes were red and I was sweating. Is that honestly what you people go through when you're drunk or sick(except I'm assuming its worse since you already feel like shit)? Its been 20 minutes and I still got that awful taste in my mouth. :( I dont think I want to play games today, I'll most likely just shower and watch some anime when I get home.

I don't know how you managed to go so long without throwing up. It doesn't happen to me often, but every 5 or so years or so I get a stomach bug where I'm throwing up all day, and I can't hold any food down, and I basically don't feel like doing anything. It's the worst. I guess be thankful it was only the once.

---
So Steam games...

I put a hold on my plans to 100% DR3, because I ran out of podcasts to listen to. With only the grindy achievements left, there's no way I'm going to do that without multitasking. I'll have to wait until Tuesday for this week's podcasts to come out.

oti

Banned
Anyone interested in these games? Do we trade here? I don't know, maybe you want them?

W3UcxDEJEs

Cerity

Am I missing something in Banished? Game is awesome but super easy so far. I started my first game on Hard and while the first couple winters were rough I'm ten years in now with one death of old age, a huge and growing food surplus, and I'm building whatever specialty buildings I want. I want to keep playing but I don't feel challenged

The balance of food/pop/warmth changes very quickly once you get into higher populations. Keeping a steady pop is a cinch once you work those mechanics out, maintaining a good growth is a completely different thing. If you're feeling more of a challenge, start on a small map/mountains/disasters.

And the only difference from hard to normal is that you don't start with seeds for farming.

Nabs

It's kind of lame I had to retort in the first place, generally I think of steamgaf as my safe place from troll-ish behavior. I was caught off guard by being accused of sucking.

I only brought up dark souls because it occurred to me that what they were trying to do with deathstroke, dark souls did much better with the artorias showdown.

I could regularly get deathstroke down to the last third of his health but by that time I would only have a couple ticks of health myself. And that is only because there were at least two of his combos where the prompt to counter wouldn't flash at all. I could record this to prove my point but I just don't care enough. The game was weaker than Arkham City which was a weaker Arkham Asylum. I really hope the next game corrects this downward spiral.

You can troll all you want, but your responses make it sound like you were just playing it wrong. Here's the thing: if you spam the counter button, you'll get your ass beat. Only counter when the prompt shows up. And don't forget to attack him. That seems to be something most people here forget.

autoduelist

So my laptop died, and I'm currently backing up everything on my harddrive in my dual drive external.

1) Is there an easy way to backup Steam saves when you don't have access to Steam?
I actually only really care about one game (Desktop Dungeons, halfway through it) though I suppose keeping my FTL and SpaceChem saves would be nice too.

2) Anything else I need to do? Do I need to deactivate the account on the dead computer somehow or can I just log in on the replacement and be ok?

Been copying files for half the night, approaching delirium.

mannerbot

So my laptop died, and I'm currently backing up everything on my harddrive in my dual drive external.

1) Is there an easy way to backup Steam saves when you don't have access to Steam?
I actually only really care about one game (Desktop Dungeons, halfway through it) though I suppose keeping my FTL and SpaceChem saves would be nice too.

2) Anything else I need to do? Do I need to deactivate the account on the dead computer somehow or can I just log in on the replacement and be ok?

You don't need to backup Desktop Dungeons, that game has its own cloud saves. And no, there's nothing else you need to do.

I don't know how you managed to go so long without throwing up. It doesn't happen to me often, but every 5 or so years or so I get a stomach bug where I'm throwing up all day, and I can't hold any food down, and I basically don't feel like doing anything. It's the worst. I guess be thankful it was only the once.

---
So Steam games...

I put a hold on my plans to 100% DR3, because I ran out of podcasts to listen to. With only the grindy achievements left, there's no way I'm going to do that without multitasking. I'll have to wait until Tuesday for this week's podcasts to come out.
Ha yea everyone always wonders the same thing, I do as well honestly :p I also rarely get sick as well. BTW do you listen to gt time? That's one I really enjoy. What gaming podcasts do you listen to? I'd like to listen to some others besides gt time and destructoid hardline

Nabs

Spent the last few hours trying GFWL on Windows 8 solutions and nothing is working. orz I hate GFWL and it should be dead already.

Damn. I had lot of trouble setting it up for my friend, but I got lucky because I remembered to check xbox.com for a new TOS. It's mainly because he didn't use GFWL at all before then, so unfortunately that won't help you :\

GFWL needs to go.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

There's GameSave Manager, but I don't know if it's "smart enough" to pick up save files stored in the X:\Users\Username\My Documents and X:\Users\Username\AppData folders on a drive that contains a Windows installation but is not the actual Windows drive of the system, so with that in mind you could just back up said folders yourself (AppData is hidden by default). If you've ever played an Ubisoft game, you'll also want to back up the X:\Program Files\Ubisoft (or X:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft if you're using a 64-bit version of Windows) and X:\ProgramData\Orbit (if applicable) folders (again, ProgramData is hidden by default).

Edit: You'll also want to back up Steam's userdata folder. Some games store saves and such there (Valve's titles, for example, although they all support Steam Cloud).

Nope.

aku:jiki

Anyone played Betrayer longer than half an hour? I played Betrayer for about that time and I dont really get the appeal of the game yet.
I beat it. It stays the same throughout. Each area has a fort or other type of settlement and around it you can find clues to past crimes, which you solve to release the ghosts stuck in limbo around the area. It's repetetive but I enjoyed the exploration, graphics, sound design and the overall theme and aesthetic. Each ghost's story is pretty messed up and dark too, which I liked.

In this 30 minutes I met maybe 10 enemies and arrived at the first town.
Oh, the game hasn't even started yet.

Dr Dogg

Spent the last few hours trying GFWL on Windows 8 solutions and nothing is working. orz I hate GFWL and it should be dead already.

Delete any installations of GFWL from your machine and then go get the latest client from Xbox.com. Before you even try to install right click the installer exe and select properties and then click in the compatibility tab and select Windows 7 (I think SP1 or standard are fine) and make sure run as administrator is checked too. This should work and install fine but it's a right pain with 8 and 8.1 64bit. I had an issue where it didn't detect my Users folder and crapped out of me that took ages to fix.

autoduelist

You don't need to backup Desktop Dungeons, that game has its own cloud saves. And no, there's nothing else you need to do.

Okay, awesome. I had no idea Steam auto cloud saved. That takes some stress off. I have to send the laptop for repair (including the drive) and they're probably going to wipe the drive... so I'm stressed I'm going to forget to copy some mission critical file (like Desktop Dungeons, lol).

Thanks!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It's horrible, yeah. In the last 8 years or so I only threw up due to being drunk, and it's not a pleasant experience. Sounds to me like you never drank excessively, which is probably a good thing (saves you money, bad experiences and lots of embarrassment).

I'm curious, what made you break that streak?

Anyone played Betrayer longer than half an hour? I played Betrayer for about that time and I dont really get the appeal of the game yet.
Don't think I did, no. I'm sad to admit I didn't really like what I played of it during its first days in Early Access, and I never touched it since.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Delete any installations of GFWL from your machine and then go get the latest client from Xbox.com. Before you even try to install right click the installer exe and select properties and then click in the compatibility tab and select Windows 7 (I think SP1 or standard are fine) and make sure run as administrator is checked too. This should work and install fine but it's a right pain with 8 and 8.1 64bit. I had an issue where it didn't detect my Users folder and crapped out of me that took ages to fix.

Yeah, I've been doing this for a while with a combination of different steps I find online. The farthest I get is that it had an unsolvable connection error the moment I try to start it.

Today I discovered that anybody can download the pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha of Unreal Tournament "2014".
It runs really well on my 680 despite running on UE4... maybe it's because the textures are extremely low res.

I wonder if Epic is going to do something similar to Quake Live (which I started playing 2 days ago and is really fun) and put it on Steam once it's done.

Vlad

1) Sadly, not that I'm aware of. Each game saves things in a different way and in a different location. As was said in another reply, some games are saved via Steam's cloud service, and will automatically transfer over to a different computer, but some don't. I'd recommend checking the various store pages for any games you're concerned about. It'll say there if the game supports Steam Cloud. If not, then you'll have to dig around in the game's install files to save your saves. Last time I had to do that, I just ended up doing a lot of Googling for info on each game. For example, "SpaceChem Steam save location", "Binding of Isaac Steam save location", and so on.

2) Well, I have a policy of physically destroying any drives before I dispose of them, but you can just log in from a new computer and you'll be fine. Look at it this way, you can log in from different computers anyway, so it's not like any deactivating is necessary.

mannerbot

Okay, awesome. I had no idea Steam auto cloud saved. That takes some stress off. I have to send the laptop for repair (including the drive) and they're probably going to wipe the drive... so I'm stressed I'm going to forget to copy some mission critical file (like Desktop Dungeons, lol).

Thanks!

Steam has cloud saves for some games (check the store listings), but you'll notice that Desktop Dungeons isn't one of those games. The devs actually have their own cloud save system, which is why you can play via the website.

I'm curious, what made you break that streak?
I guess it was the green tea I drank since its the only thing I had all day. I googled it and it does upset the stomach but its weird cause I drink green tea on an empty stomach quite often and it never gave me a problem. Welps no more green tea before eating something first tho. That shit was disgusting, I'd rather not go through that again

And also no I don't drink much, hell I practically don't drink at all. I don't even finish a whole beer. Most I drink is like half a glass of wine when I go to family events(which is like 2-4 per year)

Li Kao

I know this question was asked recently but I can't find it atm and as the 970 is shipping sooner than expected...
What games do you guys recommend to feel the upgrade from a 560ti to a 970 ?
Someone said Crysis 3 but that's all I can remember and I'm still shell shocked by the mediocrity of the second one.

Jørdan

Coupons should have an opt-out or filter, a man's* inventory is not to be trifled with. Having spent decades rummaging around in-game inventories making things fit and looking neat - silly shit like this can bug me. Immensely trivial yet I'd prefer not to have crap thrust upon me; a filter for interested in genres, by reduction percentage or my preferred option of opting out would be preferred to having random coupons added due to owning a long neglected Humble Bumble purchase.

For that matter I'm more annoyed about the specific game inventories that can't be removed or the items within deleted. I still have Spiral Knights and non transferable item drops from the Christmas coal event thingy. Dota and the ever empty Path of Exile tabs are just taking the piss, I can't even run the games :p

Steam has made some great progress recently with the client, I mean really great. The ability more easily manage game categories (in bulk no less!), to hide games of shame and the sexy as sin blue theme with highlighting to name a few. Little niggles like these stand out daily as the rest is so damn good.

*As applicable

aku:jiki

Its quite hard to make out items for the quest being totally in black and white and some items in red..!
That's why you use the sound to find them. This is why I praised the sound design.

I guess it was the green tea I drank since its the only thing I had all day. I googled it and it does upset the stomach but its weird cause I drink green tea on an empty stomach quite often and it never gave me a problem. Welps no more green tea before eating something first tho. That shit was disgusting, I'd rather not go through that again
Did you ruin your pocket protector with the vomit or did it make it through all right?

Knurek

I know this question was asked recently but I can't find it atm and as the 970 is shipping sooner than expected...
What games do you guys recommend to feel the upgrade from a 560ti to a 970 ?
Someone said Crysis 3 but that's all I can remember and I'm still shell shocked by the mediocrity of the second one.

Quake is the game I always test on a new computer.
(I'm being absolutely serious here).

Deitus

Ha yea everyone always wonders the same thing, I do as well honestly :p I also rarely get sick as well. BTW do you listen to gt time? That's one I really enjoy. What gaming podcasts do you listen to? I'd like to listen to some others besides gt time and destructoid hardline

I listen to the Giant Bombcast, Idle Thumbs, and 8-4 Play. They are all general gaming podcasts in format (news, discussions of what games people have been playing, and reader mail), so there is unfortunately quite a bit of overlap between them. I went overboard on podcasts a few years back, and found myself several months behind, so I had to purge most of the redundancy to get down to a number that I can actually listen to in a week. While the remaining 3 are fairly similar in format, they all come from very different perspectives, enough so to make it interesting.

Giant Bombcast is just a group of entertaining dudes who talk about games, but work in games media. Idle Thumbs is a group of (mostly) developers who take an analytical approach to discussing games. 8-4 Play is a group who work in game localization, and live in Japan, so they cover a lot more Japanese games.

I'd be interested in a podcast that focused more on PC gaming, but I don't know if I would have time to listen to another podcast. At least on normal weeks that I'm not binging on repetitive parts of games to earn achievements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom