• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question to those who upgraded to 900 series: What did you do with your old cards?

If I do upgrade I'd keep my 670 around as a backup in case something goes wrong in the future. It would be difficult to find a buyer and the whole process is a hassle anyway so it's not like I have much choice.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm back, I hope I haven't missed much

Also we'll be playing Deadly Premonition next, you can join us here

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=895103

Good luck. I tried, I really did. I spent like 30 minutes trying to shoot a birds nest but the crosshair wouldn't move up high enough to do it and after I finally hit it from like a mile away the game crashed. Then I gave up.

Arthea

I feel like I'm only one not upgrading
allalone.jpg

This thread is dangerous enough with all buying games craze, now this! stahp!

Good luck. I tried, I really did. I spent like 30 minutes trying to shoot a birds nest but the crosshair wouldn't move up high enough to do it and after I finally hit it from like a mile away the game crashed. Then I gave up.

c'mon, try one more time!
We need someone who finished the game on PC to give us tips how to run it without too much crashes.

You throw it away?
Can I have it? Serious question.
You're not really throwing it away right?

Give it to somebody and have them pay shipping. Throwing it away is dumb.

So much this. We live in a throw away culture. If the component isn't complete abject junk and works there will always be someone that can make use of it.

Not every one is chasing the bleeding edge tech of this world.

dex3108

allalone.jpg

Nah i got my GTX 760 this spring and i am fine for next 1-2 years :D DX12 is coming and i don't have a need to play every game 1080p/60 on ultra settings :D

Just saw this

jexRGHf.png

The replies make it seem like it's Steam/Greenlight related

4OgwoMq.png

T2aLVMY.png

I'm usually wary of these things.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I think that it's not so much the writing that changes things--personally, I feel it still leans towards TAS than Nolan's terrible writing choices--but the voice acting. It isn't Conroy and Hamill.

That's a big part of it too. I believe Paul Dini, who wrote for TAS, was also involved in writing for Asylum and City not Origins.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Nah i got my GTX 760 this spring and i am fine for next 1-2 years :D DX12 is coming and i don't have a need to play every game 1080p/60 on ultra settings :D

The situation with DX12 is a little confusing. Nvidia said that all of its DX11-supporting GPUs with support it, but this isn't strictly true: only the Maxwell cards will have feature parity (for the most part) as they support DX11.3, which is the baseline from which DX12 is being built.

derExperte

For anyone here interesed in D4

https://mobile.twitter.com/Swery65/status/513832296047054848

I'm not liking the sound of use of now, bad sales? :/

Maybe he misunderstood, his English isn't perfect.

Btw, GB has a 1hr Quick Look of D4: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-d4/2300-9479/

Unless I can get like $150 for my 660ti I'm not upgrading anytime soon either.

I got 110€ for my 660 non-Ti so it should be possible. But it depends on if it's overclocked, the quality of the cooler and the brand.

allalone.jpg

I was so close on Friday to getting a 970. I hadn't even contemplated replacing my 670 as it is still performing as I want but THAT 970/980 thread has been dangerous! Watch Dogs is the only game as of this time to be a real issue but what would you expect?

I know that next year will bring about this-gen only games that will start to push things but I expect this and this is the reason for holding off at this time.

Stay strong. If games are working as you want then just weigh up whether you actually need a card.

I'm usually wary of these things.

Sure, this is basically a rumour and should be treated like that. But Mike Rose is very active in the indie PC scene and the replies make it sound like there is some information about this out there already. I'm leaning towards "true".

Maybe it's just me but that Deathstroke fight was one of my favourite parts of the game. I thought it was super cool and it was exactly what I thought a fight between the two would be. I was just super gutted that
you didn't get to fight him again, even though it felt like the game was leading up to that :(

Yeah, it was easily my favorite fight, and it would've been sweet to fight him again, after getting beefed up with all the extra gear.

I think it would be neat if there was an Assassins Versus mode. You can play as Batman, versus somebody playing as Deathstroke. Not like Injustice or anything, it plays like normal, but you're playing real people.

I don't know where to ask this so I figured I would put this here. so where can I buy a cheapest version of Office 365 Home or Pro. It saved my ass big time earlier this morning when I forgot to bring the presentation for a meeting. Unfortunately my current sub expires later this month and MS doesn't allow / accept resubs from my country.

derExperte

The situation with DX12 is a little confusing. Nvidia said that all of its DX11-supporting GPUs with support it, but this isn't strictly true: only the Maxwell cards will have feature parity (for the most part) as they support DX11.3, which is the baseline from which DX12 is being built.

'Support' can mean a lot of things in this case and it's not clear 9xx will support every new DX12 feature via hardware, so far only a few are confirmed. And afaik 12 isn't even finalized yet.

I think he intended to say that there's currently no other way to play the game; in other words, he dodged the question.

That's what it sounds like.

Arthea

I'm going start a graphics card backlog.

j/k

(><)
That's taking backlog to whole new level

I was so close on Friday to getting a 970. I hadn't even contemplated replacing my 670 as it is still performing as I want but THAT 970/980 thread has been dangerous! Watch Dogs is the only game as of this time to be a real issue but what would you expect?

I know that next year will bring about this-gen only games that will start to push things but I expect this and this is the reason for holding off at this time.

Stay strong. If games are working as you want then just weigh up whether you actually need a card.

ya, I try to, so far I could run any game I tried, no need to upgrade just yet.

Messiah

Guys help, I put 35 hours into Resident Evil 6 and have only played like 2 hours of Mercenaries.
Also, I am addicted to buying emoticons.

JaseC

'Support' can mean a lot of things in this case and it's not clear 9xx will support every DX12 feature via hardware. Afaik 12 isn't even finalized yet.

I said there will be feature parity for the most part, not that the Maxwell cards will fully support DX12. There will definitely be some elements to DX12 that won't be supported by DX11.3 hardware.

Edit: I was going to use my ~$4 of credit to pre-purchase FFXIII from GMG... but even the 15% discount code disables credit. Ridiculous.

dex3108

As far as i know DX11.3 is update for DX11 that will focus on current DX API, DX12 is Mantle like API for coding to the metal that devs need to master. They are trying to push DX11 closer to DX12 with as many features they can and still make sure that DX11 is relatively easy to use.

Maxwell architecture will probably have specific features because nVidia made it a bit different with more freedom for devs like MFAA for example that is not possible to achieve on other architectures. But we will see i hope for the best :D

That's it, I decided I will withhold upgrade until the DX12 stuff is sorted out.

Sounds like a good way to keep myself from being tempted everytime a new card is released.

derExperte

DX12 is still far away anyway, late 2015 at the earlierst. Who knows when we'll see games taking advantage of it. I wouldn't upgrade if I has a 760 card or faster but there are enough demanding games coming out in the near future to make it worthwhile for me.

JaseC

That's it, I decided I will withhold upgrade until the DX12 stuff is sorted out.

Sounds like a good way to keep myself from being tempted everytime a new card is released.

You could be waiting a while. Microsoft has shown off some DX12 demos throughout the year but there's still no date. Hell, Microsoft may even make it exclusive to the X1 for a time. ;)

Dr Dogg

allalone.jpg

Hey if it isn't broke don't fix it. Especially with current tech trends and how the semiconductor industry has been going as of late. If you have something reasonably new now, wether that's a CPU, GPU, even motherboards and memory, and are feeling the itch to upgrade for a marginal increase in performance (sometimes one not really needed) then in 6 months to a years time there will be something else out with yet another marginal gain, and the next year and the next year. The recent trend of 2500k owners panicking that their CPU is lagging behind is comical. In fact I'd say any 2500k owner who has a decent sample that clocks really well hang on to that for dear life. New tech every year (or ever 2 even) is for benchmarkers, people with swathes of disposable income or wallies.

derExperte

Hey if it isn't broke don't fix it. Especially with current tech trends and how the semiconductor industry has been going as of late.

I agree about the CPU part since I'm a fellow 2500K owner who will wait until 6-8cores have reached mainstream (Skylake next year maybe) but the 970 is such a massive leap for people with older midrange cards for a reasonable price that I feel now's the time to upgrade. 970 + overclocked 2500K = dreamteam.

kulapik

Yesterday I finished Steamworld Dig. The game started slow and repetitive, but after gaining new skills and upgrades it got more fun and faster.

za0obkN.png

Not sure if I want to go for the other achievements. I want to 100% it though...

Did you dig it?

Sorry

Deques

http://store.steampowered.com/app/315340/?snr=1_4_4__105_3

Another "perfect" edition is coming to Steam, and again you need to pay for the upgrade.

What's new in EX version
1. Five original levels are retouched and redesigned at some point. The weapon/ability system and GUI are totally redesigned as well as the dialogue and the cutscenes

2. Original enemies and bosses are also re-balanced. Some of them are improved with the new AI

3. There are 2 new levels, built from the ground up, with new enemies, obstacles, mini bosses and bosses. The story is also rewrited, so it reflects new level line up.

4. A new playable character, Tarus, is added with its own story and ending (but the sequence of levels line up is the same as Ares) Tarus comes with his own combat style and ability. I personally recommend everyone who played the original version try the new character.

5. The character leveling system and achievements are reworked.

6. New soundtracks for Tarus campaign.

Paying for it again seems to be worth it, there are a lot more content in this Edition, plus it has loyalty discount at 50% for previous owners. They also get a support drone.

Did you dig it?

Sorry

I dug a lot

aku:jiki

DX12 is still far away anyway, late 2015 at the earlierst. Who knows when we'll see games taking advantage of it. I wouldn't upgrade if I has a 760 card or faster but there are enough demanding games coming out in the near future to make it worthwhile for me.
Are you telling me not to blindly consume things for no other reason than to blindly consume things? I feel like this goes against the spirit of the thread.

I think I'll replace my 780 with four 980's right now. That should be enough to run Rebirth.

Paying for it again seems to be worth it, there are a lot more content in this Edition, plus it has loyalty discount at 50% for previous owners. They also get a support drone.
At least they rewriteded the story.

Knurek

allalone.jpg

Worry not, I bought a 750Ti last month, not planning on changing that unless well into 2017 (wife permitting).
What's lovely about 750Ti, is that with NVIDIA Inspector I can force ungodly amount of AA into just about any old game, and still not reach more than 50% GPU load
(Trails in the Sky @60fps with 8x SGSSAA is so, so purdy)

derExperte

Gigabyte factory OC'd

Where did you sell yours?

To a friend via another forum, was cheaper for him than buying elsewhere and I saved selling fees. I looked and saw someone in the B/S/T thread offering his 660Ti for $135, they usually go for a bit more on eBay (but then fees) but card prices seem to be lower in the US even when factoring in the 1:1 conversion. Also the amount of VRAM makes a difference.

I think I'll replace my 780 with four 980's right now. That should be enough to run Rebirth.

Are you telling me you only own one 780 right now? What is this, a thread for poor people? Show some self respect.

Jawmuncher

Guys help, I put 35 hours into Resident Evil 6 and have only played like 2 hours of Mercenaries.
Also, I am addicted to buying emoticons.

I think about 15 of my hours are from playing just mercs and the VS modes for the achievements. If you want to play more Mercs you can add me on Steam. I'm always down for playing RE6.
I bought a few emoticons in the past that I actually liked. mainly the stuff from Sanctum.

Dr Dogg

I agree about the CPU part since I'm a fellow 2500K owner who will wait until 6-8cores have reached mainstream (Skylake next year maybe) but the 970 is such a massive leap for people with older midrange cards for a reasonable price that I feel now's the time to upgrade. 970 + overclocked 2500K = dreamteam.

Well I think it all depends on your current setup and entry point and what you're aiming to achieve. Like for like swaps every year or two is bonkers but there are certain cases, like you say going from older midrange cards can yield significant results.

Let's take a couple of examples from in here. Grief has 2 560Ti's so swapping them for just one 970 would be a step up in performance and the extra VRAM would allow more flexibility in native resolutions and downsampling. Jase has 2 670's which for what native resolution his monitor is would be fine for a while but yet agin that VRAM wall of 2gb is being hit quite regularly more so than outright performance so a switch to a 970 now and a second at a later date when performance might be an issue is a good long term investment for some years to come. Salsa who has a 680 and some of the 770 owners aren't going to hurting as much performance wise anyway, and the 4gb variant owners more so who might be better of at least waiting until either a handful of games you want to play cause you issues a new card could solve or wait for the Maxwell refresh for either a spanking new card or some even cheaper deals. 780 owners and up looking at these really need to ask themselves do they need to upgrade. Actually now is the time to grab a cheap second card for those folks as I've seen some stupidly cheap deals on 780Ti's.

GAF has been quite conservative compared to a few other forums where folks can't wait to shed they're less than 12 months old cards.

aku:jiki

a switch to a 970 now and a second at a later date when performance might be an issue is a good long term investment for some years to come.
Is that something people do? Because I have no idea and my idea was to just wait a while and put another 780 in. Does that make sense to do? I was mostly just planning on doing it because I'm stupid with money.

JaseC

Is that something people do? Because I have no idea and my idea was to just wait a while and put another 780 in. Does that make sense to do? I was mostly just planning on doing it because I'm stupid with money.

In your case I'd sell the 780 and use the money to buy a 970 (or rather buy a 970 and then sell the 780 to get the money back). You should easily be able to sell it for $330 or perhaps even a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom