• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmax3901

tumblr_mdiamaRmDq1r7mshyo1_r3_500.gif

jase this is wrong

I'm aroused and I don't know why.

Hugstable

Banned
Woot got a Super Meat Boy foil Card! Do you guys think the market is going to recover a bit, or will the prices always stay this low or get lower? Wondering if I should sell some of my cards now or wait it out a bit.

Hey guys! I picked up 2 gift copies of Mirror's Edge... because it's an awesome game and more people should play it so they can be as excited for the upcoming prequel as I am. :p Doing a little giveaway contest just for fun instead of just going through ModBot.

megiveawayx0u32.jpg

Post an image/screenshot from your favorite stage from a platforming game to enter. Then I'll use a random number generator to pick out 2 winners around 10PM EST. If you're extra cool, you can explain why that's your favorite stage in the genre.

G5FKBmO.jpg

Them crocodiles!

Don't add me to the comp, I already have a hard copy bought for $2 new from the newly departed GAME in Aus. I just wanted to throw some nostalgia at the older folks!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Nope, he's restocking it now (just got a copy). It was at $4 since it was a Flash deal initially for $10.

Has he ever explained how he gets these games for so cheap, especially at a rate that he can sell it at THAT low of a price?

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Woot got a Super Meat Boy foil Card! Do you guys think the market is going to recover a bit, or will the prices always stay this low or get lower? Wondering if I should sell some of my cards now or wait it out a bit.
Soon the trickle down effect will take place. and we'll all be rich, RICH I TELL YOU.

kevin1025

Banned

The market seemed to crash and prices have been very, very low ever since. Yesterday most of these cards weren't even that low. I imagine it'll be low for the duration of the summer sale and then start to gradually level out over time. But I don't think they'll ever be the price they were before, unfortunately.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

It'd just be guessing but I would suspect that most of the game cards will go down rather than up

Things that cause them to go up:
- More people who want to /use/ the cards
- Drop rate being lowered
- Booster rate being lowered
- Fewer people knowing about bots

Things that cause them to go down:
- More people who want to /sell/ the cards
- Drop rate being raised
- Booster rate being raised
- Any new way to get cards
- More people knowing about bots

So if you look at that info which do you think is more likely? I feel like the latter is more likely

Hey guys! I picked up 2 gift copies of Mirror's Edge... because it's an awesome game and more people should play it so they can be as excited for the upcoming prequel as I am. :p Doing a little giveaway contest just for fun instead of just going through ModBot.

megiveawayx0u32.jpg

Post an image/screenshot from your favorite stage from a platforming game to enter. Then I'll use a random number generator to pick out 2 winners around 10PM EST. If you're extra cool, you can explain why that's your favorite stage in the genre.

I was 11 when the original came out and I loved the music and the music that played when you got in the water with Snacker and I remember trying to find the purpose of Sharkfood Island.

Salsa

He is independantly wealthy and just does it for GAF.

regional pricing. Stuff is cheaper where he is

he does sell at a profit tho, as opposed to those helping with gifting from other regions that are listed in the OP

I aint judging tho, dude clearly has a whole thing set up and at the end of the day it benefits both parties

poweld

megiveawayx0u32.jpg

mario64_3jpg.jpeg.jpg

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I fucking doubt it, it's probably shady as shit. I'd rather not know and enjoy the ignorance in bliss.

He is independantly wealthy and just does it for GAF.

regional pricing. Stuff is cheaper where he is

Is regional pricing really it? It's just, the prices are really great, but they're SO much cheaper and I'm sure he's still making at least some profit.

Haven't accounts been banned in the past from Steam because they were frequently buying games from other countries to circumvent pricing? It's just a bit worrying.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Has he ever explained how he gets these games for so cheap, especially at a rate that he can sell it at THAT low of a price?

Well he lists himself as European, but clearly the least sketchy way possible
- He has access to Brazilian or Russian stores
- He buys there and gifts
- The price he sells is low enough to get people buying but high enough above those stores to be profitable

Sketchier ways would include buying the games and selling them at a loss, but somehow profiting off creating accounts to do the purchases and validating those accounts (IE if creating a new account and using it to idle TF2 but needing to make a legit purchase to do it benefits him at a rate of $n per account, and he takes a <$n loss on the sale, he wins)

I mean, it's a business regardless, it's not just a mercy of his heart thing. Otherwise he'd be transparent about how he's doing it. I mean, whatever, more power to him, I'm not hating, just explaining.

antitrop

The bottom line is that if I'm buying a game for literally half the price it's being listed on the Steam store the day it comes out, someone is probably getting screwed somewhere.

Chocobro

I like many of the maps in Kirby Super Star Saga though.
kirby2006-30182162739530461391912146825354.jpg

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
- The price he sells is low enough to get people buying but high enough above those stores to be profitable

Sketchier ways would include buying the games and selling them at a loss, but somehow profiting off creating accounts to do the purchases (having more legit accounts to idle at TF2?)

I mean, it's a business regardless, it's not just a mercy of his heart thing. Otherwise he'd be transparent about how he's doing it. I mean, whatever, more power to him, I'm not hating, just explaining.

The bottom line is that if I'm buying a game for literally half the price it's being listed on the Steam store the day it comes out, someone is probably getting screwed somewhere.

Yeah. I just think there should be a buyer beware kind of thing. I'm not sure how Steam feels about things like that. It would really suck if one day there was a mass Neogaf reaping where dozens of users accounts were disabled or something. I think I'm actually gonna ask Steam Support about frequently receiving gifts from users in other countries where prices are lower.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Sketchier ways would include buying the games and selling them at a loss, but somehow profiting off creating accounts to do the purchases and validating those accounts (IE if creating a new account and using it to idle TF2 but needing to make a legit purchase to do it benefits him at a rate of $n per account, and he takes a <$n loss on the sale, he wins)

If he's using the Brazilian Store, I wish he'd tell me what workaround for the Paypal Tax issue he's using. The Paypal tax usually kills any savings you do in the Brazilian Store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom