• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2013 Thread #2 - Many questions answered in the OP's FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

BasilZero

Hey guys! I picked up 2 gift copies of Mirror's Edge... because it's an awesome game and more people should play it so they can be as excited for the upcoming prequel as I am. :p Doing a little giveaway contest just for fun instead of just going through ModBot.

megiveawayx0u32.jpg

Post an image/screenshot from your favorite stage from a platforming game to enter. Then I'll use a random number generator to pick out 2 winners around 10PM EST. If you're extra cool, you can explain why that's your favorite stage in the genre.

witchyworld-001.jpg

Really loved WitchyWorld in Banjo Tooie *-*! It felt like there were so much to do (even though there's alot to do in all the worlds xD). I just love the amusement/circus feeling to the atmosphere and the music is simply amazing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
TimeDog:
Found the bug and it's a real doozy, I caused it when someone gifted the URL to the Steam store and I said *grumble* and put a filter on it to try to avoid junk URLs but the filter misfired, but only for games without a title. Sorry about that again. It should be fixed now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
who does the cards? do the developers of each game make the cards?

Here's an overview:

You primarily earn cards via "drops", which occur on the odd occasion while you're in-game (you don't actually have to be playing; you can just idle in the main menu and alt-tab to do something else). You'll have no drops remaining for F2P games if you didn't spend $9 in the in-game store prior to the trading cards being implemented (or, in the case of TF2, didn't own a copy prior to it going F2P), whereas for paid games, you'll either have an amount of drops equal to half or half+1, depending on the total amount of cards available (e.g. if a game has 8 cards, you'll get 4 drops; if it has 9 cards, you'll get 5 drops).

As for the cards themselves, there are regular cards and rarer foil cards, the latter of which you can flog off for a pretty penny if you beat the market crash; additionally, you can also earn booster packs, which are a set of three cards, with a chance of a foil, that "drop" infrequently as long as you've signed into Steam once in the past week. Obviously you cannot complete a set with the limited amount of drops, so you're encouraged to either trade for or purchase from the Steam Market the missing cards. You can gain drops in F2P games by spending money in the in-game store, but given that you only earn a single drop per $9 spent, it's far cheaper to just buy what you need from the market. While cards disappear from your inventory when you craft a badge, once you've "maxed out" a certain badge, they will remain in the badge section of your profile, so you can view them at your leisure. (Valve will soon be implementing a virtual binder wherein your cards, whether present in your inventory or having been used to max out a badge, will reside.)

Badges can be "crafted" either by completing certain tasks (such as the Steam Community badge) or "spending" a complete set of cards. The ability to "level up" promotional badges (i.e. those not based on cards) varies, but regular card-based badges can be taken to level 5, while the special foil badges can be crafted just the once. When crafting a badge, you earn an emoticon, profile background (both related to the game in question), a Mysterious Card and 100 XP. XP in particular is used to "level up" your Steam Community profile, and with each level you gain an additional five friend slots as well as a showcase slot to show off something of your liking on your profile (rare/favourite games, games/DLC owned, achievements earned, etc.)

Edit: If a badge is not showing up in your list, either because you don't own the game in question or haven't spent enough money in the in-game store, it will appear after you receive a card pertaining to it. For instance, I didn't spend money in Dota 2 prior to the trading cards going live, so the badge didn't appear in my list until I began buying Dota 2 cards.

Edit edit: Sorry, I can't type tonight. :(

And, yes, the developers need to make the cards.

Hey guys! I picked up 2 gift copies of Mirror's Edge... because it's an awesome game and more people should play it so they can be as excited for the upcoming prequel as I am. :p Doing a little giveaway contest just for fun instead of just going through ModBot.

megiveawayx0u32.jpg

Post an image/screenshot from your favorite stage from a platforming game to enter. Then I'll use a random number generator to pick out 2 winners around 10PM EST. If you're extra cool, you can explain why that's your favorite stage in the genre.

Bio_Miracle_Bokutte_Upa_(NES)_08.png

To those not familiar this game, it's 'Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa' on Famicom, which you may recognize as a Chinese Pirate showing up at rental stores, with a paper box, with title 'Super Mario Bros 4: Baby Mario'.

I think my sister and I knew it wasn't really a Mario game, but we continually rented this little, odd, classic. Later, when living in Japan, I purchased it on Famicom cartridge for a bit of a pretty penny, and it's one of the prizes of my collection.

This particular level has the Baby eating through cake. Typically, you crawl and jump your way across the level, often having to make your own floating platforms by hitting enemies with your rattle, which will inflate them, allowing you to ride.

Anyway, it's a classic in my heart, and I'll never forget the cake eating stage of this game.

Hugstable

Banned
Woot got a Super Meat Boy foil Card! Do you guys think the market is going to recover a bit, or will the prices always stay this low or get lower? Wondering if I should sell some of my cards now or wait it out a bit.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
TimeDog:
Found the bug and it's a real doozy, I caused it when someone gifted the URL to the Steam store and I said *grumble* and put a filter on it to try to avoid junk URLs but the filter misfired, but only for games without a title. Sorry about that again. It should be fixed now.

Cool, thanks mang!

megiveawayx0u32.jpg

b3GXJkJ.png

Still one of the most iconic platforming levels to me. I don't know if its necessarily my favorite per se, but I get nostalgic just thinking about it. Played it (and the sister level) so many times just because it was so much fun. Motorcycle levels in Crash 3 were also good, but the tiger ones were definitely my favorite.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

megiveawayx0u32.jpg

tumblr_m8bv8qjfj41r2op6ko1_400.gif

Do I have to really explain it?

kennah

Well. Got Dishonoured and Rott and Waling Dead thanks to a good trade. Now to wait and see what I'm going to spend my last $10 wallet on.

megiveawayx0u32.jpg

505406-milkmanlevel_s7elaz.jpg

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I shouldn't have because of money but i bought the pack for 10 its too good to pass up!
I know, but... $10.

If it were a couple of bucks cheaper I'd probably get it right away. But $10 is a little steep considering that UT2K4 is really all I need, with a couple of UT99 matches for nostalgia reasons. Never played any of the non-Tournament Unreals, and UT3, while not a bad game, isn't as enjoyable as the previous ones.

Guess I'll pass.

Woot got a Super Meat Boy foil Card! Do you guys think the market is going to recover a bit, or will the prices always stay this low or get lower? Wondering if I should sell some of my cards now or wait it out a bit.

Cards seem so easy to get. I think they may need to add a little more purpose behind them if they want to keep the value up, as well.

Maybe after the summer cards are through, that supposed coupon or other prize might be worthwhile and raise the value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom