• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

So am I reading this right in that you can no longer give away Steam games? Unless I suppose you found a CD key off another site? That's kind of a bummer, unless you're supposed to get around it by adding random folks as friends. The game I wanted to give away is only sold on Steam.

You CAN send gifts via Steam but it must be sent INSTANTLY; as in as soon as you are buying it it must be sent to the recipient via Steam.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Sourtreats:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sourtreats, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

CTU COUNTER TERRORISM UNIT -- MB-C3B434E11F838196 - Taken by SSPssp
GLOBAL SOCCER MANAGER -- MB-779C875676B285C8 - Taken by Purkake4
GUN MONKEYS -- MB-14B278B9552F65A1 - Taken by DataGhost
LEAD AND GOLD -- MB-86178E09BC34C1FF - Taken by fifasnipe2224
POST MASTER -- MB-43BC5734794FF215 - Taken by Miniboss

I should stop wasting money on GMG Lootboxes and just buy a decent game.

Ascheroth

You CAN send gifts via Steam but it must be sent INSTANTLY; as in as soon as you are buying it it must be sent to the recipient via Steam.
You can schedule it, I thought.
But you have to choose the recipient the moment you buy the gift, that is true I suppose.

Right but in that case the giveaways here on GAF don't function unless you had a key from before or off another site? Take the giveaway above as an example - I can no longer figure out how to do that just buying from Steam. Unless ModBot has been updated with that in mind, but all I can find is the old tutorial. Seems adding random folks as friends is the only way then but no clue how to do that as a giveaway.

I suppose later I can just ask who is interested and gift them the game.

It's kind of sad that many games I want actually have worse discounts than they have had previously. Almost not even worth looking at steam sales anymore. The discounts are long gone.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Right but in that case the giveaways here on GAF don't function unless you had a key from before or off another site? Take the giveaway above as an example - I can no longer figure out how to do that just buying from Steam. Unless ModBot has been updated with that in mind, but all I can find is the old tutorial. Seems adding random folks as friends is the only way then but no clue how to do that as a giveaway.

What I'd do is make a modbot giveaway, but instead of the key, link your steam profile (with I guess a keyword or something they have to message you to prevent impostors), and have the winner send you a friend request. Then you can just gift the game to them afterwards.

Aaron D.

Unexplored!

It's one of the best roguelikes of 2017 and its still getting post-release development. Austin Walker over at Waypoint has a great video on it, if you want to see some gameplay.

This right here.

That Austin Walker video sold me pretty quick.

Now Unexplored is in a locked hovering pattern at the top of my GOTY list.

Really special game.

Any of the DLC worth it in your opinion?

Not unless you see a car-specific brand that you're really into.

Save your money for CMS2018. The few gameplay vids I've seen make it look pretty damn hot, but I have no idea what the launch price will be.

Likely $20, which is Day One for me, but perhaps a harder sell for newcomers.

What I'd do is make a modbot giveaway, but instead of the key, link your steam profile (with I guess a keyword or something they have to message you to prevent impostors), and have the winner send you a friend request. Then you can just gift the game to them afterwards.

I think you could run into a situation where you couldn't gift the game to the winner of they live in a another region with a different price with the other new gifting restrictions.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Think I'm done with the sale unless money falls into my lap somehow. I ended up getting the White March Expansion for Pillars of Eternity, Life is Strange, One Way Heroics Plus, and the Mark of the Ninja DLC. Think I'll either revisit Pillars (I hope my save is still on the cloud) or start LiS first.

I think you could run into a situation where you couldn't gift the game to the winner of they live in a another region with a different price with the other new gifting restrictions.
Oh yeah, that would blow. Forgot all about that.

hohoXD123

God, steam has become a nightmare to use lately. Slow startup, games not being launched properly, Xbox One controllers not being recognised and general lag/freezing using the client. The appeal of GOG is becoming more and more obvious.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

As far as gifts are concerned, the best you can do is give away an IOU and ask that the winner contact you, but there is the risk of the price difference (that is, the game being >10% cheaper in your region) being too high. If a key is an option (e.g. GamersGate selling the same game for ~the same price), that'd be the way to go.

Durante

Durante, wise man, please tell me, for I can't choose: Tyranny or Torment? I heard bad stuff about the story/writing of Torment, so I'm on the fence.
I assume by "Torment" you mean the new Torment, because otherwise I'd need to kill whoever said that about the writing/story.

Personally, I liked the new Torment well enough. It's certainly not as good as its spiritual predecessor, but the setting and the quality of the side quests make up for many of its other shortcomings, in my view.

Anyway, I can't help with your question, because I haven't actually played Tyranny yet!

God, steam has become a nightmare to use lately. Slow startup, games not being launched properly, Xbox One controllers not being recognised and general lag/freezing using the client. The appeal of GOG is becoming more and more obvious.
I haven't done any Windows 10 updates since before Anniversary Edition, and everything works splendidly :p

Knurek

I assume by "Torment" you mean the new Torment, because otherwise I'd need to kill whoever said that about the writing/story.

Well, I certainly wouldn't call the quality of writing in Planescape: Torment anything other than 'serviceable'.
Still a major improvement over other games, where it ranges from horrifying through downright terrible to bile inducing.

I mean, really, compare it to Banks or Vonnegut or Lem. No contest.

I haven't done any Windows 10 updates since before Anniversary Edition, and everything works splendidly :p

This won't help you much once the branch you're on stops receiving security updates. :\
(6 more months for pre-AE, AFAIK)

Zeneric

meanwhile steam is perfect for me.

Durante

Well, I certainly wouldn't call the quality of writing in Planescape: Torment anything other than 'serviceable'.
I disagree. It's good. Just because there is even better writing out there doesn't make it less than good.

I've certainly read moderately highly acclaimed novels with worse writing than PS:T.

I managed to get all the stickers for the volleyball scene. When you do that it unlocks the ability to scale, rotate, and place any sticker you've collected onto the scene and showcase it on your profile, so I did.

Unfortunately it does not seem like there is an option to remove the sticker showcase from your profile once you've put it on there so now I've got this ugly large picture smack-dab in prominent view.

Thud

Played a bit of hollow knight. Pretty nice. I wonder if I took away some of the charm by buying the pins, quill and compass.

That's one purchase justified.

Happens to me too. Lately I have to close and restart Steam to make it work properly.

Ayumi

I should probably focus on D3's new Necromancer, but I bought yet another game (Slime Rancher) and I'm excited to try it. Although.. I really want to start Ori. And play more FFXIV.

Steam sales are evil not only because of wallets, but because it's too fucking hard to stick with just one game.

Ucchedavāda;242005896 said:
Happens to me too. Are you on the beta version?

I was, actually...I opted out now. It'll take me a while to figure out whether that fixed things since, you know, I just restarted steam and that was the normal fix.

Axass

Played a bit of hollow knight. Pretty nice. I wonder if I took away some of the charm by buying the pins, quill and compass.

That's one purchase justified.

No, the game's HUGE. You definitely need that stuff. Keep playing, it's amazing the more you go on, the beginning is actually kinda weak compared to the rest of the game.

I was, actually...I opted out now. It'll take me a while to figure out whether that fixed things since, you know, I just restarted steam and that was the normal fix.

I've just opted out as well.
It being a problem with the beta seems like the most likely explanation to me, but we'll have to wait and see, as you say.

I disagree. It's good. Just because there is even better writing out there doesn't make it less than good.

I've certainly read moderately highly acclaimed novels with worse writing than PS:T.

Dude is being hyperbolic. The writing in PT is better than what the average person will read in their lifetimes.

It's the gameplay that is bad.

I wonder if some people just missed the memo on the sale. The usual suspects that never go on sale aren't on sale, but I also see a lot of stuff that I fully expected to be on sale with no discount. For example the only Ludosity games that are on sale are the ones that aren't self published.

Knurek

Dude is being hyperbolic. The writing in PT is better than what the average person will read in their lifetimes.

It's the gameplay that is bad.

HTxwEbr.jpg

Arthea

Planescape writing is God-Tier for a video game.

I feel like we should let this point of view go already, there are plenty of games on steam with good writing without resorting to "for a video game" tier.
Writing should just be good, we don't say that graphics are OK... for video game, or that music is Ok for a video game, we shouldn't treat writing any differently, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom