• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad

I should probably focus on D3's new Necromancer, but I bought yet another game (Slime Rancher) and I'm excited to try it. Although.. I really want to start Ori. And play more FFXIV.

Steam sales are evil not only because of wallets, but because it's too fucking hard to stick with just one game.

... And then when you get back to the first game, you don't remember what you were doing and have to start over.

Amneisac

dragons dogma is $12 so finding a $5 game should be easyyy :)

dogma defense force in full effect

I liked some stuff about Dragon's Dogma, but I had a hard time getting a hang of the combat. It was really cool in concept but something about it I never knew if I was picking bad skills, if I just sucked, or if I was trying to fight an enemy that was above my skill level. Maybe all three, who knows, but i found myself dying a fair bit and getting a little lost and impatient wandering around looking for quest objectives.

If you people don't get Dead Cells and Hollow Knight, I don't know what to say

I feel like we should let this point of view go already, there are plenty of games on steam with good writing without resorting to "for a video game" tier.
Writing should just be good, we don't say that graphics are OK... for video game, or that music is Ok for a video game, we shouldn't treat writing any differently, right?

I remember Planescape's story and writing quite fondly. I don't think it's upper tier prose compared to popular literature but it's enjoyable enough and in combination with the the game-y aspects it offers (like atmospheric world and dungeons) it makes for a really great overall experience. It's a very unique game that has not been copied at all.

Syril

What are the issues with Nier Automata's PC version? There are a bunch of negative reviews on its Steam page but none of them are pointing to anything specific.

Stronghold HD has an interesting campaign, the game is a bit different than traditional RTSs with heavy emphasis on turtling, but it's only 79 cents.

Red alert 3 is fun if you are into the whole FMV craziness.

Age of mythology has a great campaign as well.
I played Stronghold back in the day. Don't remember if I liked it.

Age of Mythology might be worth revisiting. But I think I am in the mood for more modern/unconventional RTS games.
Infested Planet. Squad scale RTS against many hundreds of adapting aliens
Appealing concept but the visual style is a turn off. Looks like a flash game. :<
I thought that looked interesting. I have the Homeworld Remastered Collection, which I haven't played yet. >_>

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Is Quantum Break playable on Steam? Worth $20?

It's technically dog shit sandwich. With a GTX 970 I had to use upscaling and turn everything down to get close to 60fps stable (mostly locked but not always, and this was with a massive GPU OC). And it just never felt smooth, panning the camera was very choppy. To hit 60fps you need to make the game very ugly with lots of aliasing and blurry textures due to upscaling.

The game itself is OK, the combat is enjoyable but very repetitive. The best thing about it is the real life TV show and the story which was very interesting. Overall it's an OK game with awful performance that's probably not worth the frustration.

Exentryk

What are the issues with Nier Automata's PC version? There are a bunch of negative reviews on its Steam page but none of them are pointing to anything specific.

I can't recall what was wrong with the vanilla release, but the "FAR" mod fixes everything, and also gives you a choice to bump up the performance.

It's technically dog shit sandwich. With a GTX 970 I had to use upscaling and turn everything down to get close to 60fps stable (mostly locked but not always, and this was with a massive GPU OC). And it just never felt smooth, panning the camera was very choppy. To hit 60fps you need to make the game very ugly with lots of aliasing and blurry textures due to upscaling.

The game itself is OK, the combat is enjoyable but very repetitive. The best thing about it is the real life TV show and the story which was very interesting. Overall it's an OK game with awful performance that's probably not worth the frustration.

Yeah forgot to mention it runs like shit as well.

kevin1025

Banned

For me, having played on Xbox One, it was more that the game takes away control a little too often. The action is super broken up because of it and broke the flow a little. But the action itself was fun.

rtcn63

Which one's better for a first time player: Dark Souls 2 original with DLC or Scholar of The First Sin?

IIRC Scholar makes certain areas of the game
Shrine of Amana specifically
a little less annoying. But still annoying. They also fixed the 60fps double weapon degradation bug in Scholar... eventually. Not sure about the original.

And Scholar is heavily obsessed with using stone enemies to block off places/paths that weren't blocked in the original. Like to the point where I think someone on the dev team has a serious medusa fetish.

Renkax

got a huge problem after i found out that lost planet 2 was on sale.. i bought it , installed it . i have direct x 12

game can run on either 9 or 11.

the game wont launch after i pick either 11 or 9. what can i do? :(\

got a huge problem after i found out that lost planet 2 was on sale.. i bought it , installed it . i have direct x 12

game can run on either 9 or 11.

the game wont launch after i pick either 11 or 9. what can i do? :(\

It probably looks for a dx9.dll file before launching. That's my best guess, as I don't own it, but I have used that solution for many games in the past.

chixdiggit

Really interested in Dead Cells. How does the Early Access effect it? Am I playing a half finished game that I will be sick of before it is done?

autoduelist

I feel like we should let this point of view go already, there are plenty of games on steam with good writing without resorting to "for a video game" tier.
Writing should just be good, we don't say that graphics are OK... for video game, or that music is Ok for a video game, we shouldn't treat writing any differently, right?

Totally disagree. Games are based on mechanics, from go and chess and backgammon through modern video games. You add graphics and story to said mechanics, but without the mechanics it's not a game. Chess is the same game whether you're playing it on a $1 cheap travel set or a $5000 hand carved masterpiece. We might like to have it look better, feel better, etc... but ultimately it's inconsequential as far as the 'game' goes.

And because of this, we have lots of games with little or no 'story/writing' (not an insult, these are my favorite), and many failed attempts at writing.

See, you can have awful writing and a non-existent, or terrible, or just plain bland story, and still have a very successful game. Any number of games prove this point, from by the book save the world games, or badly translated messes. If these were 'just books', they wouldn't sell. They survive, and even sell extremely well, because in gaming solid mechanics trump all.

So yes, it's perfectly valid to say 'good writing... for a video game'... because it can be true. Many games have terrible writing, and that's okay. It is not a fundamental flaw to a game, like it might be in literature. You can safely say "It's got a deep plot and great acting... for an action movie". In fact, even with books, in genres that sell on something other than quality of writing [romance novels, for example] it's perfectly valid to say 'it's got fantastic writing, for a romance novel' because nobody expects fantastic writing in a romance novel. They are bought for steamy nights of reading, just like games are bought for sweaty nights of playing.

I get that some people don't want this divide. But the divide will always be there - it's inherent to gaming that a game doesn't need good writing to be successful. So yes, we 'should' treat writing differently for games. Because games aren't books. it's okay to admit that. It's okay that some games have terrible writing. It's okay to praise those that get it right. It's okay to buy those that don't, simply because they play well.

Zackat

damn, this Stephen's Sausage Roll game is seriously good

If you are a fan of puzzle games you should really give it a try. it's on sale for like 7.50. These puzzles are hard lol

I am legit thinking of making "Summer Sale: The Dating Sim".

It was a joke.

zkylon

zkylewd
i wonder how unions work in america that a game like life is strange just gets a different actress for their main character because this other actress is non-union and that's actually considered super ok to the point the original actress is doing consulting for the game

that's so fucking weird lol

selo

I just bought this Rabi Ribi game, pretty good! Mix between a metroid and bullet hell. It's animu though, but the gameplay is very good.

i wonder how unions work in america that a game like life is strange just gets a different actress for their main character because this other actress is non-union and that's actually considered super ok to the point the original actress is doing consulting for the game

It is, but it's more like Ashly Burch cares so much that she came on as a writer to be able to least still guide her character.

Apt101

I haven't purchased much this year. I miss the old format, with the big blocks of games on sale and timers letting you know when the next wave would start. It gave a sense of urgency, and even community with everyone eagerly waiting to see what would be on sale, letting their offline friends know, etc.

I think my favorite has been Memoria. $1.99 for a point-and-click adventure with attractive art, a nice story, just the right amount of challenge, and fully voice acted. It's a gem at this price. Hell it'd be a gem at $9.99.

DataGhost

CD Keys is safe and accepted on GAF.

Haha, well since you're recommending it, I would hope so. But I have no idea how people find good and safe methods without Enhanced Steam. Anyone have other tools they recommend or any list of what people consider gray market vs more official but not steam?

Haha, well since you're recommending it, I would hope so. But I have no idea how people find good and safe methods without Enhanced Steam. Anyone have other tools they recommend or any list of what people consider gray market vs more official but not steam?
IsThereAnyDeal.com.

Tizoc

Racing, platformers, RTS, FPS, Character action, Soulsborne. That's all I can think of right now.
Sonic mania preorder
Nfs hot pursuit if u like arcade racers
Killer is dead
Transformers devastation

To name a few
Yooka laylee is good but is more than $17

Revikan

Neo Member
Is Quantum Break playable on Steam? Worth $20?

I bought QB yesterday. I have a 3570k and a gtx 1070, I range from 55-70fps with the settings on high, scaling on, and at 1920x1080.

Image quality is pretty bad with scaling on but if its off, it runs like crap.

Teggy

It's a pretty weird thing because in a normal union the person who does the work would basically be blackballed from ever joining the union, so I wonder why that particular person was ok with it.

Then you get weird cases like the original Nier where Laura Bailey and some other folks had to be billed with fake names I believe because the job didn't pay enough to meet the unions standards.

The actors unions are definitely a bit different than the most others for electricians, nurses, etc.

OmarYusaf

I played Stronghold back in the day. Don't remember if I liked it.

Age of Mythology might be worth revisiting. But I think I am in the mood for more modern/unconventional RTS games.

Appealing concept but the visual style is a turn off. Looks like a flash game. :<

I thought that looked interesting. I have the Homeworld Remastered Collection, which I haven't played yet. >_>

As for unconventional modern RTS, World in Conflict is amazing. I have it but it seems to have been removed from steam. GoG still has it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom