• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

So I handled the start of RE7 pretty well but now it's all mold and bugs and giving me the willies. I wonder if there's a mod where you can bring in a bucket of soapy water and a mop.

zkylon

zkylewd
It is, but it's more like Ashly Burch cares so much that she came on as a writer to be able to least still guide her character.
It's a pretty weird thing because in a normal union the person who does the work would basically be blackballed from ever joining the union, so I wonder why that particular person was ok with it.

Then you get weird cases like the original Nier where Laura Bailey and some other folks had to be billed with fake names I believe because the job didn't pay enough to meet the unions standards.

The actors unions are definitely a bit different than the most others for electricians, nurses, etc.
it's a really strange situation from my pov

in the end i guess it's a shame cos the actor strike had legitimate demands and this doesn't help actors' rights in the end

but idk how american unions work

At this point, I've pretty much accepted I'll be spending >$100 on this Summer Sale.

Games I've already bought:
- Alpha Protocol ($5.09)
- Hollow Knight ($.9.89)
- Mass Effect 2 ($4.99)
- Quantum Conundrum ($1.79)

Games/hardware in my cart
- The Banner Saga Deluxe Pack ($14.87)
- Dead Space 2 ($4.99)
- Deus Ex GotY Edition ($1.39)
- Dishonored + Daud DLC ($8.47)
- Orwell ($4.99)
- Papers, Please ($3.99)
- Primordia ($2.49)
- Quantum Conundrum DLC ($2.98)
- Steam Controller + Link ($44.98 plus reduced shipping)
- Steam Controller Aperture Skin ($4.99 plus reduced shipping)

That comes out to $115.90 plus whatever shipping will end up being.

Kintaco

Was thinking of picking up the Stream Link. It seems like a good deal right? I wouldn't mind playing some games on the TV, probably mainly Friday the 13th and maybe mess around with WoW. There is no mix support on the Stream Link I assume? Mic is pretty key to a Friday the 13th so that might be an issue.

Popstar

Small sale for me this time. Only bought one thing that wasn't on my wishlist (Transistor).

MO1fYcT.png

No dailies or anything make the sales pretty un-engaging now. I can't even be bothered to do the minimum to craft the sale badge.

autoduelist

Anyone feel like giving some buying advice?
I sliced through my wishlist, and then double sliced through my cart, and I still have WAY too much in my cart.

For financial reasons, I need to cut this down significantly, from $96 to around $20. In no particular order...

Bastard Bonds $5.43
Voidspire Tactics $7.49
Unexplored $7.99
Dungeon Rats $6.74
UnderRail $7.49
SatelliteReign $4.19
Endless Legend™ - Classic Edition $7.49 (do I need a different version?)
The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians $6.79
868-HACK $4.12
Dream Quest $4.99
Space Rangers HD: A War Apart $3.74
Rise to Ruins $4.99
Card Quest $6.39
DROD: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder $2.49
Act of War: High Treason $0.74
Highlands $1.99
Original War $0.99
Convoy $3.74
Domina $4.99
Massive Chalice $1.99
Redemption: Eternal Quest $0.59

A couple notes --

As you can tell I like drpgs, srpgs, roguelikes, lites, and whatnot.

I game on a laptop [yuck, no number pad]... but I just bought a Steam Link so I can use DS4 if I get it set up. It also means I use a touchpad, which can be -terrible- for some games.

I have a thing for turn based on PC... so even though I've heard it's amazing unexplored is actually a huge maybe since I worry it won't run well on my laptop.

I have a massive backlog across systems... so don't mind waiting on something that'll go lower eventually. I desperately want Star Crawlers but have to wait.

I have an android device, which is always an option for games on both.

Ventara

Don't cut out Highlands; a great game that truly is a hidden gem. $2 is a steal.

Domina seems pretty cool as well, but at 50%, only buy if you're actually gonna play instead of throwing it into your backlog.

So I picked up Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced edition because, well, I've never played and it's supposed to be amazing; however, I've been reading that it's probably best if you play Baldur's Gate 1 first since there's supposedly a lot of call backs to the first game in the sequel. Should I pick up the first one or should I dive right into 2?

it's a really strange situation from my pov

in the end i guess it's a shame cos the actor strike had legitimate demands and this doesn't help actors' rights in the end

but idk how american unions work

This is not a usual Actors Strike that affects the entire industry, this is just a Voice Actor Strike against 11 individual companies that refuse to give the perks that other companies do. Well, that and residuals. None of which are unreasonable.

So Ashly Burch is well within her right to take other types of jobs for the same company. It doesn't make the strike seem weak, and she still gets to be involved in the process for a project that she clearly is invested in.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Don't trust the opinion of people with carrot's for horns.

Nut

Neo Member
Should I pick up the first one or should I dive right into 2?

This one is a little controversial/subjective.

Dive right into 2.

Yes, there are callbacks, but the original Baldur's Gate has some really eccentric mechanics.

I love the game, but it can be tough to play (unless there were major gameplay/mechanics changes in the enhanced edition, which I doubt). It can be very difficult, especially in early levels where your characters are very weak under the D&D rules, and generally speaking the game is heavier on combat and exploration than it is on narrative and questing.

The sequel is the superior game, and I would start with it unless you really know why you want to experience the original Baldur's Gate.

Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate HD
Valdis Story: Abyssal City
Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight

It's what I have gotten so far. This has been a strange sale for me. During these mega sales periods, I never buy games like these usually. Never played Lords of Shadow, haven't played Valdis yet, and only have about 20 minutes in Momodora.

MVC 3 on the other hand...I put a lot of hours into that on the 360. I think I got nostalgia bit by that one.

Tizoc

If I played the game during the free trial week on steam, will I be able to continue that character on a non-steam version of ESO? I'm guessing not but oh well.

BTW there's a 10% off code: TESCDKEYS7
Is it only for eso or can it be used woth other titles?

zkylon

zkylewd
This is not a usual Actors Strike that affects the entire industry, this is just a Voice Actor Strike against 11 individual companies that refuse to give the perks that other companies do. Well, that and residuals. None of which are unreasonable.

So Ashly Burch is well within her right to take other types of jobs for the same company. It doesn't make the strike seem weak, and she still gets to be involved in the process for a project that she clearly is invested in.
yeah you're def right

it's weird tho :p

Not unless you see a car-specific brand that you're really into.

Save your money for CMS2018. The few gameplay vids I've seen make it look pretty damn hot, but I have no idea what the launch price will be.

Likely $20, which is Day One for me, but perhaps a harder sell for newcomers.

I see. Thanks! :D

Small sale for me this time. Only bought one thing that wasn't on my wishlist (Transistor).

MO1fYcT.png

No dailies or anything make the sales pretty un-engaging now. I can't even be bothered to do the minimum to craft the sale badge.
Good choices. Recursed is a great hidden gem

For financial reasons, I need to cut this down significantly, from $96 to around $20. In no particular order...

Bastard Bonds $5.43
Voidspire Tactics $7.49
Unexplored $7.99
Dungeon Rats $6.74
UnderRail $7.49
SatelliteReign $4.19
868-HACK $4.12
Dream Quest $4.99
Rise to Ruins $4.99
Card Quest $6.39
DROD: Gunthro and the Epic Blunder $2.49
Act of War: High Treason $0.74
Highlands $1.99
Original War $0.99
Convoy $3.74
Domina $4.99
Massive Chalice $1.99

A couple notes --

I would cut Domina from that. It's a nice game, lots of good ideas, but I thought it felt a bit random to be really satisifying, so with so many other games you want to buy, and a backlog, I think you might bounce of it pretty quickly.

Endless Legend is good, but often on sale, and it takes quite a lot of time and focus to get into.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1395895.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

l3L0MM1.jpg

Mystery Gift -- MB-57DF9030210A9C1E - Taken by Loptous

Burt

Anyone feel like giving some buying advice?
I sliced through my wishlist, and then double sliced through my cart, and I still have WAY too much in my cart.

Bastard Bonds $5.43
Voidspire Tactics $7.49
Unexplored $7.99
Dungeon Rats $6.74
UnderRail $7.49
SatelliteReign $4.19
868-HACK $4.12
Dream Quest $4.99
Rise to Ruins $4.99
Highlands $1.99
Original War $0.99
Convoy $3.74
Domina $4.99
Massive Chalice $1.99

A couple notes --

There's no getting rid of UnderRail there. I really liked the Voidspire Tactics sequel (Alvora Tactics), so I can definitely recommend that, although I can understand if you drop it at that pricepoint. Massive Chalice is a great buy at $1.99. Satellite Reign was pretty good, but I don't think I would recommend it over the others unless you're a fan of real-time tactics first and foremost.

Hektor

I just wanted to say that Actual Sunlight, a short, little and incredibly well written RPG maker adventure about, how do I put, not fe3ling goofs at all only costs 50 cent currently

Has anyone played the Dying Light the Following expansion? I haven't played the base game in a few years and always wanted to pick up the expansion when it was cheaper. Is £6.39 a good deal or should I spend my money on something else?

So far the games I've been eyeing up:
Hyperlight Drifter
The Flame in the Flood
Grim Dawn
Wolfenstein (if it was as cheap as it used to go...)

Bought:
Jazzpunk
Shadows of Mordor

Jimrpg

My sale plan for after I sell all my trading cards -

What I will probably pick up:

Euro Truck Simulator 2 - Vive La France. - It's so annoying any time there's a new update or patch it breaks promods. So I guess I'll pick this up.

Atelier Sophie - I have been meaning to pick up an Atelier game as I got Shallie Plus for Vita but people tell me I should play Ayesha/Escha&Logy first. I hope they bring those out on steam one day.

Ys Origins - As soon as Play-Asia lets me cancel my Vita version of Ys Origins (which costs 10x more $25 instead of $2.50 on Steam in Malaysia) I will pick this up instead.

What I will probably pass on:

Planet Coaster: I'm overloaded with games right now, so I'm going to hold off on this.

Grim Dawn: Still want to play more Diablo 3 first before moving on to this.

Dragon Quest Heroes: Going to wait until there's a lull in backlog (probably never).

Nier: Automata : Still too expensive.

So that was my previous plan.

After selling RM40 (about US$10) worth of trading cards, I picked up

Planet Coaster (RM100) - couldn't resist it was my number 1 on the wishlist and needed something different after Yakuza 0 and Nioh.

Euro Truck Simulator - Vive La France (RM23) - to unbreak my mods.

All for RM83 (about $20)

Atelier Sophie will have to wait, I have enough JRPGs as it is.

Ys Origins will have to wait until after I beat Memories of Celceta on the Vita and Oath in Felghana on Steam.

I just bought this Rabi Ribi game, pretty good! Mix between a metroid and bullet hell. It's animu though, but the gameplay is very good.

I am "shilling" for it since last year. Was my 2016 GOTY, but so many people disregard it because of its anime artstyle.

Rodolink

Do you remember if theres a "last day" special deals done before in sumemr steam sales? I´m hoping Dark SOuls 1 gets discounted as a last sale push.
not :(

zdenko1

Do you remember if theres a "last day" special deals done before in sumemr steam sales? I´m hoping Dark SOuls 1 gets discounted as a last sale push.
not :(

It won't get discounted. What you see is what you get. Check deals on ITAD and if there's nothing there, just wait a little bit. Humble Store will have summer sale and it'll be very likely discounted there.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
What do you get when you complete a sticker book?

A complete sticker book.

That you can arrange the stickers on and resize as you like and then post the whole thing to your profile.

There is also speculation it might be a prerequisite to a Steam beta client at some point in the near future.

But mostly a complete sticker book.

zkylon

zkylewd
man despite the spider stuff i'm real tempted about hollow knight

someone got in my head that god eater is no fun in singleplayer

damn it

Pachimari

Man, I'm really not sure I can play through an entire trilogy with Ezio. He's not a bad character at all, I quite like him, but I hope he'll have character development throughout. The free running and combat also feels stiff in Assassin's Creed II, and so far the combat feels worse than in Assassin's Creed 1.

Nabs

man despite the spider stuff i'm real tempted about hollow knight

someone got in my head that god eater is no fun in singleplayer

damn it

If you think you can deal with a creepy spidernest, then go for it. It's not that big an area. I think you'll like HK.

Orgen

Man, I'm really not sure I can play through an entire trilogy with Ezio. He's not a bad character at all, I quite like him, but I hope he'll have character development throughout. The free running and combat also feels stiff in Assassin's Creed II, and so far the combat feels worse than in Assassin's Creed 1.

Ezio it's the only character in the whole series with some sort of character development. In fact it's the only redeemable thing about Revelations.

Teeth

Aside from his origin in AC2, he stays pretty much the same within each game, but has a real arc over the course of the three games. As in, he changes a decent amount in ACB and then quite a bit in ACR. None of it is Shakespeare though.

The real development in AC2/B is the metanarrative. It either gets totally awesome or goes completely off the rails depending on your point of view.

Protip for the combat - rarely attack, just counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom