• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drakken

*Opens inbox*

DDA-s4lXUAAr6kZ.jpg:large

"Lord, give me strength"

*15 minutes later...*

Alright, not too bad

DDBBbi5UIAEEB3N.jpg

Pleased with my restraint here

Eh, fuck it, DS3, Witcher 3 and Steam controller bought.
Kinda shitty shipping price wasn't shown in the store page, instead slapping it on at checkout.

Games like Dying Light should be among the Deus Ex's and Thiefs of the world. How it basically hit rock bottom at $30 is confusing to me. Who the fuck is even buying or playing that game right now? I get games from Gamefly all of the time at $9.99 or less used and that includes games that are much newer than even Dying Light.

Naw Fam....it came out 2 years ago...It's STILL KINDA RECENT. 2 years ago is basically YESTERDAY

Honestly, if you double those numbers, it'd be perfect.

which falls in line with what I was saying

Costia

The scale is as follows:
  • recent - < 3 months
  • semi-recent - > 3 months and < 6 months
  • semi-old - < 6 months and < 9 months
  • old - > 9 months and < 12 months
  • old old - > 12 months
This scale is satire. Thanks for reading.
Nah, its:
Can post new thread on GAF without any prefix - recent game
Need to prefix LTTP - non-recent game
Need to prefix RTTP - old game

c0Zm1c

I've never refunded a steam game. Never needed to. except once when a game was broken and unplayable but It was only like 3.99 due to a sale. now I make sure I research a little to make sure it actually works.

But I also don't just buy games without finding out if I would be interested in them or not.

You can do that and still end up with a problem or a game you thought you might like but it turns out you don't, and if the game was £40? *shudder*

I'm glad we have refunds now.

Yea I havent played since launch era, but we got upgraded to "enhanced edition". I may actually reinstall this weekend.

honestly, I just purchased that the other day before this steam sale.

they had a weekend sale on it where it was just 23.99 like 1 or 2 weeks ago.

Got it out of boredom since I never bought it then literally forgot about it. It's really great. I kept thinking "how did I sleep on this game!?!?"....probably the bad taste that dead island left in my mouth...a game that I thought I enjoyed, until u play it for about 10 hours and ur like...eh, don't want to play that again.

You can do that and still end up with a problem or a game you thought you might like but it turns out you don't, and if the game was £40? *shudder*

I'm glad we have refunds now.

well, none of that happens within 2 hours for me being that I research the game beforehand. Those scenarios seem to happen much later if they were to happen. for me at least, like with Dead island.

None of the deals for pricier games really blew me away...will continue waiting for those to be humbebundle'd at some point.

Considering picking up some $1-2 games though...

Castle in the Darkness - $1.99 (80% off)
Lovely Arcade Planet - $2.03 (66% off)
Tick Tock Bang Bang - $1.64 (67% off)
Mighty Gunvolt - $1.24 (75% off)
Starship Rubicon - $1.99 (80% off)

...any thoughts on those?

BlakeofT

None of the deals for pricier games really blew me away...will continue waiting for those to be humbebundle'd at some point.

Considering picking up some $1-2 games though...

Castle in the Darkness - $1.99 (80% off)
Lovely Arcade Planet - $2.03 (66% off)
Tick Tock Bang Bang - $1.64 (67% off)
Mighty Gunvolt - $1.24 (75% off)
Starship Rubicon - $1.99 (80% off)

...any thoughts on those?
Castle of Darkness is really good. Kind of a steal at $2 and you'll know if you want to keep it before 2 hours has gone by.

What have I done :(

TRANSFORMERS: Devastation
FINAL FANTASY XIII-2
Transformers: Fall of Cybertron
FINAL FANTASY XIII
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
realMyst: Masterpiece Edition
Gabriel Knight - Sins of the Fathers
Turok
Ubisoft Arcade Bundle
Includes 7 items: Rayman Origins, Rayman Legends, Valiant Hearts: The Great War / Soldats Inconnus : Mémoires de la Grande Guerre, Toy Soldiers: War Chest, Child of Light, Trials Fusion, Tetris® Ultimate
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within™
Prince of Persia The Two Thrones™
Prince of Persia®
Prince of Persia®: The Sands of Time
Deep Silver Pack 2016
Includes 7 items: Dead Island: Retro Revenge, Saints Row: Gat out of Hell, Dead Island Definitive Edition, Dead Island Riptide - Definitive Edition, Deadlight Directors Cut, Homefront: The Revolution, Mighty No. 9
METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES
RAGE: The Scorchers
One Way Heroics Plus
Primordia
Virginia
SteamWorld Heist - The Outsider
Costume Quest 2
DreadOut
Refunct
SquareCells
Plants vs. Zombies GOTY Edition
Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics
CDN$ 199.63

See you next year :(

I am considering searching these games with that Steam app to see if it would have been cheaper to buy some of these in previous years.

JWiLL

Banned
Picked up Infinite Warfare at half price.

I'm a sucker for good COD campaigns and heard this one was great, but couldn't justify the $80 price tag it has here in Canada.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Would I like Edith Finch if I didn't like Firewatch? Not opposed to 'walking sims' per se, but the explorative gameplay in Firewatch felt very rudimentary and more importantly the story also fell flat.

What Remains of Edith Finch is a perfect example of what the genre can be, I gave it 10/10, whereas I gave Firewatch 7/10. Edith Finch was a beautiful game in every sense of the word, I honestly couldn't find a fault with it. Buy it, finish it in one sitting and report back how much you loved it ;)

I've never refunded a steam game. Never needed to. except once when a game was broken and unplayable but It was only like 3.99 due to a sale. now I make sure I research a little to make sure it actually works.

But I also don't just buy games without finding out if I would be interested in them or not.
I do plenty of research on the games I want to buy. Sometimes though I'll buy a game that while it reviews well and looks up my alley, it doesn't really click with me. I've only refunded one game this year but I really appreciate the option.

To me it's better than steam sales having dalies where a game goes a little cheaper for 24 hours, that might just be the same amount it's getting off now where the sales price is set.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Small hall for me as I'm busy with fighting games and won't get to anything new for a while. So I passed on some things like Owlboy that will probably be cheaper on a later sale when I'm more likely to play it sooner.

Hollow Knight
Hyper Light Drifter
Thumper
The Beginner's Guide
Virginia
Darkest Dungeon

Thumper I largely bought as I've been tempted to buy at full price on Switch.

Cosmic Star Heroine made more money yesterday in the first day of the sale than it did in the previous 3 weeks on Steam. Looks like going with a 20% discount since the game is still pretty new (came out a little over 2 months ago) rather than racing to the bottom was the right call. Also we did an AMA on Reddit yesterday which might have helped increase visibility.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
i'm looking for like two great or worth playing singleplayer games. preferably NOT FPS, that is on sale.

If you have any please share!!! i'm into most games but can't check the steam store at the moment.

I've gotten a lot of mileage out of TerraTech (early access). The gameplay loop is to build up a vehicle out of blocks, drive around and gather resources, fight other vehicles and take their blocks, then build up a base to manufacture more pieces. There's also some progression with doing missions and levelling up to unlock parts. They're still missing a real end goal, but it's fun to go through that process. They're still updating it so I go back to it from time to time.

Cosmic Star Heroine made more money yesterday in the first day of the sale than it did in the previous 3 weeks on Steam. Looks like going with a 20% discount since the game is still pretty new (came out a little over 2 months ago) rather than racing to the bottom was the right call. Also we did an AMA on Reddit yesterday which might have helped increase visibility.
You've earned your success and then some. Fantastic game!

c0Zm1c

well, none of that happens within 2 hours for me being that I research the game beforehand. Those scenarios seem to happen much later if they were to happen. for me at least, like with Dead island.
That's what I'm saying though, that you can research a game and still get some nasty surprises; no amount of research is going to be as accurate as first-hand experience.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Dunno if I should wait for RE7 to get even lower eventually, or just go for it since I'm a massive RE fan and I've been wanting to play this for a while.

Also, is the Steam controller decent for playing mouse/kb only games (like Diablo 3 and
single player RTSes)?

Dunno if I should wait for RE7 to get even lower eventually, or just go for it since I'm a massive RE fan and I've been wanting to play this for a while.

Also, is the Steam controller decent for playing mouse/kb only games (like Diablo 3 and
single player RTSes)?
I think the heavier and faster the mouse movement is, the worse the Steam controller works.

It's great for doing camera-mouse movements and FPS games, but for RTS? Probably not. You might be able to enjoy Diablo on it, but that's a lot of mouse movement on what's basically a small round trackpad.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I was creating my ranger on Wasteland 2 and I couldn't decide between my attributes, weapon skills, appearances, and quirks lol. I must have spent half an hour staring at the character creation, increasing and decreasing stats to see if the benefits justify the stat allocation. I just don't want to screw over my character if I allocated wrong lol. Charisma seem like the most useless attribute compared to the rest even when I dumped all my points into it versus other stats.

My only advice for character building is
don't spread your stats out. Your party acts as a group, so if you have one person with perception, they can spot things, if you have one person with lockpicking, they'll pick the locks, etc. There's no point in two people having 6 pts in trap disarmament over one person having 8 pts.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, two things about the argument we have every sale about whether or not sales are bad now.

1) I think the peak of sales is more like 2011-2012. I got a Steam account in 2008 and a lot of the prices for the first few years indicate prices were still reasonably high. It's really 2011-2012 when sales start getting absurd.

2) Although sale discounts aren't as good as they once were, I actually think games don't cost more than they once did. There are three avenues, intertwined, that all help keep prices down. First, bundles (including humble monthly) have massively eroded game values in the last 6-7 years. The Humble THQ Bundle and Humble Origin Bundle (December 2012 and Summer 2013 respectively) were the turning points where bundles stopped being about cheap indie games and started being viable ways to get AAA games for dirt cheap, and this has generally continued. Humble has been the main purveyor of bundles with AAA games, although we're starting to see things like the Square Enix holiday box or whatever as well.

Second, sales on parallel Steam key-compatible stores. I'm not talking about grey market stuff, but rather Humble, Amazon, BundleStars, GMG, etc. Some of these are off their heyday as well, GMG has declined due to what I would guess is business struggles and Amazon because they no longer have an active producer or product manager working on game discounts. But Humble is better than ever in this respect -- those "complete a publisher" bundles they've been doing over the last year or so are nutso. BundleStars is great on WB games.

Third, trading cards. I've made maybe $300 off trading cards and there have been entire years where I haven't bought games on Steam with my own money because I've been coasting off trading cards. Trading cards are functionally a 3-4% discount on sale games, but they're pretty near 100% off for bundle turds. I also get probably $1 a month in booster pack money. And lots of old games add cards. Granted that I'm a power user and most people don't realize those gains.

Overall I would guess I spend 1-3 dollars a game, buy hundreds of games a year, including a few dozen major publisher games. I'm not really all that bummed. But I wouldn't turn down even better discounts.

UberLevi

My haul so far has been SOMA, Shadow of Mordor, and Dragon's Dogma for $25.

Dragon's Dogma is fucking cool, too. I'm loving it.

Tizoc

It's one my my favourite games, but even I recognize it's not amazing.

Do you want to play Gears of War in Mordor, except you play as a sexy barely clad Elven archer? with potential coop with a partner who plays a melee dude? secret areas, a loot system, skills, spells, combat that gets real tricky later, boss battles?

Then you'll be fine.

What weapons does the game have?

Canti

Can someone who has played both Hollow Knight and Hyper Light Drifter let me know - which is more worth my time as a fan of both genres? I was hoping to hold out on Switch for HK, however that deal is hard to pass up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom