• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canti

Both very impressive games. Hollow Knight is longer, so I guess if you really can only get one right now and want more bang for your buck, go HK. You have to play HLD eventually though.

Hollow Knight is the winner but HLD is very, very good as well. If you really like both genres enough that it's basically a coin flip, maybe the deciding factor would be that HK is about 3 times as long as HLD and offers a smoother difficulty curve. HLD is kind of easy once you get into how to play it and how to handle the enemies.
Oh jeez. That's a tough one. They're both GOTY material for me for their respective years.

Hollow Knight has more to it - more length, more open-world-ness, more lore, although both games take a very minimalist approach to storytelling, there's actual dialogue in HK sometimes. Also I don't know what advantage the Switch version of HK would have? The visuals are beautiful but I played it on my TV with my PC and I could say the same thing about HLD.

HLD combat feels amazing, I love everything about the game, but it's definitely shorter unless you go for NG+ / speed runs / challenge runs. I'm not even sure what games I would directly compare HLD to, some people say LTTP but it is nothing like that IMO. There's nothing quite like losing the same fight 4-5 times and then suddenly just destroying it and your dude does a little flourish at the end.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either. I would say, whichever one you are more "feeling" at the moment, and you should absolutely play both ASAP :p

They're good games, Canti. I think Hyper Light Drifter was definitely the more "unique" of the two. Hollow Knight is just a very beautiful, very polished Whatever-word-won't-trigger-people-Vania.

Switch is just too perfect for HK. I'd wait for that and get HLD for now. Not that I've played either extensively.

Thanks for the replies all. Sounds like I can't go wrong either way. Guess I'll stick with HLD for now (been meaning to pick it up for a long time) and dip in on HK down the road!

Chris R

Just bought Hollow Knight and not much else... Sales have really fallen off but that's fine for my wallet, I still have games I bought years ago that I haven't gotten around to playing yet.

Mihos

Gold Member
Cosmic Star Heroine made more money yesterday in the first day of the sale than it did in the previous 3 weeks on Steam. Looks like going with a 20% discount since the game is still pretty new (came out a little over 2 months ago) rather than racing to the bottom was the right call. Also we did an AMA on Reddit yesterday which might have helped increase visibility.

Hmmm, had this on my wish list and forgot about it. Just picked it up. I was kind of wondering if there was a way to see how many people had a game 'wish listed' over all, and not yet bought

I'm more impressed that Nier of all games is the number one seller, and GTAV is not at the very top. Guess word of mod abuse has spread, normally it is in the top 3.

JakeD

Thanks for the replies all. Sounds like I can't go wrong either way. Guess I'll stick with HLD for now (been meaning to pick it up for a long time) and dip in on HK down the road!

I vote HLD too if only because HK will be great on switch!

Planned haul:

de Blob 2 (already own on every other platform)
OneShot
Tadpole Treble
Mystery Chronicle: One Way Heroics (already own on PS4/Vita)
Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate (already own on PS4/Vita)

Am I missing anything cheap, important, or underrated?

Might get Clannad...

Azull

yO jshack or jase, how does one become a Steam Curator?

Well I had compiled a list of 100+ cool games to get on Steam, it's a LITTLE outdated so I need to edit a few entires but, play some music and read through them and let that wishlist of yours grow ;P

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17

Gonna definitely cracking open a cold one after work and read through this list. Thanks by the way!

Phawx

In short, the gifts in question were purchased from the RU store and are only of use to those within the countries mentioned. While it is possible to circumvent said restrictions with the help of a VPN and some Steam Store know-how, in doing so you're endangering your account.

Sorry, just for clarification. If you activate an key through a VPN you'll lose your "In Good Standing" classification?

I redeemed CoD IW (EU region) through a VPN.

I just checked my setting and I actually don't see "in good standing" anymore. Wondering if this got moved or I am indeed no longer "in good standing"

Just wondering what I have to worry about.

Thanks

starmud

Anyone else play city scape on mac? I've read the mass transit pack roughs up game performance on mac and to hold off for now?

Blam

Welp 4th 30pack time to see if I make it back for only 11$

EDIT:FUCK YES MASSEFFECT ANDROMEDA MOTHER FUCKERS.

Blam

Trust me if it wasn't for this 30% off coupon I wouldn't have done it.

Personally I'm actually just gonna buy another 5 and if I get Andromeda again I'll drop it here.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sorry, just for clarification. If you activate an key through a VPN you'll lose your "In Good Standing" classification?

I redeemed CoD IW (EU region) through a VPN.

I just checked my setting and I actually don't see "in good standing" anymore. Wondering if this got moved or I am indeed no longer "in good standing"

Just wondering what I have to worry about.

Thanks

Valve doesn't police key activations. That's entirely the realm of the publisher. It's practically impossible for Valve to objectively and infallibly contextualise the activation of a retail key, so even if the one you activated happens to be banned for one legitimate reason or another, you'd lose access to that game and nothing more.

Phinor

Check your settings or spam box. They send an email almost daily. Just got a lootbox coupon =\

Even when they send me a coupon (which seems to not happen as often as it does for others), it's worse than what most other people get. My lootbox coupon is 20% off. I also got one for Battlegrounds and it's also 20%.

Then again I haven't seen a good deal at GMG in ages. Their euro prices are so damn high even with discounts applied.

venomenon

Hi Gaf, I'm working on a 2D platformer and looking for inspiration this weekend playing a good indie 2D platformer or two. Anything interesting on sale?
Are you a sadistic dev? Then, look no further than Eryl's Action.

Out of interest, I just scrolled through the list of top sellers tagged "platformer". Surprisingly few pure straightforward 2D platformers in there.

daxy

can you add things to your cart, sign in, and access the site correctly?

cause I can't no matter what browser I try

Good luck. It's been like that for me for over three years and the CS has done jack shit to fix it despite my multiple attempts to get it resolved.

Blam

Tbh what I'm doing is actually such a waste of money lmao.

Nothing out of the 6th one but I got another 2$ balance so ezpz another pack coming in.

Tbh what I'm doing is actually such a waste of money lmao.

Nothing out of the 6th one but I got another 2$ balance so ezpz another pack coming in.

It sounds fun, at least.

Getting Andromeda makes me want to try it, but this week has been Shit Luck Central for me.

autoduelist

Anyone else have cheap turn based tactical/strategy/strategic game recommendations? Trying to find something to devour a couple dozen hours.

Battle Brothers then? I've only heard great things about it. Not that cheap atm tho.

Oh, that looks great! Only thing wrong is the price [for my budget].

Darkest Dungeon maybe?

Own it on vita. Great game.

If you are interested in turn based strategy with a lot of Role playing elements I'd suggest expeditions Conquistador and expedition Vikings.

The closest we have to a fantasy xcom I can think of is massive chalice, but that's not exactly a game I want to recommend as I found it to be incredibly dull. But you might want to check it out nonetheless

The expedition games look right up my alley. And Massive Chalice has a great price of $2... I wish you hadn't found it 'incredibly dull' or else I'd insta-buy.

I died for your mass effect andromedas

ADJlJrl.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom