• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
Can someone who has played both Hollow Knight and Hyper Light Drifter let me know - which is more worth my time as a fan of both genres? I was hoping to hold out on Switch for HK, however that deal is hard to pass up.

Switch is just too perfect for HK. I'd wait for that and get HLD for now. Not that I've played either extensively.

Are there daily deals?
No. Games will likely be the same price throughout the sale, so there's no need to wait until the last day like previous sales.

This weirdly bums me out. Even if it wasn't a daily thing and they just continued their normally scheduled Midweek Madness stuff I think that would be better than not having any special extra limited time sales.

Also this isn't Valve's fault really but the number of games I've thought about picking up cause they're only a few dollars and then there's no discounts on the dlc is more common than you might think. So I can pay $5 for game X and then $60 for all the dlc. :/

Lain

Cosmic Star Heroine made more money yesterday in the first day of the sale than it did in the previous 3 weeks on Steam. Looks like going with a 20% discount since the game is still pretty new (came out a little over 2 months ago) rather than racing to the bottom was the right call. Also we did an AMA on Reddit yesterday which might have helped increase visibility.

Racing to the bottom is never good. There is plenty of time for the deeper discounts.
I'm glad the game is performing nicely for you as this summer sale started. I hope it keeps it up, CSH is a pretty good game and deserves more sales.

Can someone who has played both Hollow Knight and Hyper Light Drifter let me know - which is more worth my time as a fan of both genres? I was hoping to hold out on Switch for HK, however that deal is hard to pass up.

They're good games, Canti. I think Hyper Light Drifter was definitely the more "unique" of the two. Hollow Knight is just a very beautiful, very polished Whatever-word-won't-trigger-people-Vania.

chugen

I got one today telling me to buy a "mystery box" that may or may not have a non-bundle fodder game.
thanks to you i checked, got the mail too and bought the 30 pack

O3pHIiy.png

ayy

Ventara

Alright, managed to work my list down to under $100. I still need to shave off at least $25, though it's slowly getting harder to do that. lol, I was telling myself yesterday morning I'd barely buy anything during this sale.

Amzin

Oh jeez. That's a tough one. They're both GOTY material for me for their respective years.

Hollow Knight has more to it - more length, more open-world-ness, more lore, although both games take a very minimalist approach to storytelling, there's actual dialogue in HK sometimes. Also I don't know what advantage the Switch version of HK would have? The visuals are beautiful but I played it on my TV with my PC and I could say the same thing about HLD.

HLD combat feels amazing, I love everything about the game, but it's definitely shorter unless you go for NG+ / speed runs / challenge runs. I'm not even sure what games I would directly compare HLD to, some people say LTTP but it is nothing like that IMO. There's nothing quite like losing the same fight 4-5 times and then suddenly just destroying it and your dude does a little flourish at the end.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either. I would say, whichever one you are more "feeling" at the moment, and you should absolutely play both ASAP :p

kiguel182

Thinking of buying Wheels of Aurelia and Flinthook. Probably would buy a couple more but my computer can't handle more so I'll eventually grab the rest on my PS4.

Dunno if I should wait for RE7 to get even lower eventually, or just go for it since I'm a massive RE fan and I've been wanting to play this for a while.

Also, is the Steam controller decent for playing mouse/kb only games (like Diablo 3 and
single player RTSes)?

It's a really bad sub for m/kb imo. Trackpad is nowhere near as accurate as a mouse.

Also I'd say wait on RE7. Game is real short and not even that good in the latter half.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Both very impressive games. Hollow Knight is longer, so I guess if you really can only get one right now and want more bang for your buck, go HK. You have to play HLD eventually though.

aku:jiki

Hollow Knight is the winner but HLD is very, very good as well. If you really like both genres enough that it's basically a coin flip, maybe the deciding factor would be that HK is about 3 times as long as HLD and offers a smoother difficulty curve. HLD is kind of easy once you get into how to play it and how to handle the enemies.

I did one of those not too long ago and got black ops 3
Last GMG winter sale, the odds of winning were totally broken and you were basically guaranteed a quality title with every random purchase. I scored like 5 copies of Alien: Isolation, one copy of Titanfall and something else I forgot.

Or maybe that was on purpose to get people like me to still talk about it over 6 months later...

Obi

Neo Member
You absolutely should buy Paint it Back, it's one of the best games on steam, for reals.
Definitely gonna pick this one up.

If you like picross type games Pictopix is also on sale. It's pretty good and it has steam workshop support, so you can always download more puzzles after you finish the included ones. When I was having problems with the touch controls on my tablet, the dev sent me some test betas and got it working. So there's pretty good customer support.

shockdude

Are there daily deals?
No. Games will likely be the same price throughout the sale, so there's no need to wait until the last day like previous sales.
I don't agree with this. Imo you should absolutely wait until the last day, so that you fully consider if what you're buying is worth it, and to take full advantage of the refund window in case a game you want has a better deal later.
I bought the Gundemonium Collection during a previous Winter sale, but refunded it when that collection showed up in a cheaper bundle a week later. Had I purchased the collection on Day 1, I wouldn't have been able to do the refund.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
It's a really bad sub for m/kb imo. Trackpad is nowhere near as accurate as a mouse.

Also I'd say wait on RE7. Game is real short and not even that good in the latter half.

I think the heavier and faster the mouse movement is, the worse the Steam controller works.

It's great for doing camera-mouse movements and FPS games, but for RTS? Probably not. You might be able to enjoy Diablo on it, but that's a lot of mouse movement on what's basically a small round trackpad.

Thanks!
Might get Hitman Season 1 instead.

So this is pretty much my final haul. Spent a bit more than usual, but I'm pretty satisfied overall:
1BpJal6.png

The Deus Ex collection was cheaper for me than straight up getting Mankind Divided and its season pass.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Follow your heart.

Wow. Hollow Knight is now #3 on the charts. They must be raking in the cash.

It's sooo good. I won it in a raffle here on GAF near release and oh my god. After playing for a few hours went to my friends list and convinced a couple other people to buy it. The game is wonderful. The somber tone and artwork are just fantastic. They deserve all the sales they get.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Will wait until our lord and savior JaseC drops wisdom on us. Thanks for the giveaway though.

In short, the gifts in question were purchased from the RU store and are only of use to those within the countries mentioned. While it is possible to circumvent said restrictions with the help of a VPN and some Steam Store know-how, in doing so you're endangering your account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom