• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
First time attempting this (first time posting in a Steam thread too). Hope this works.

not entering but that giveaway sir is

Leo-Toast.gif

Leo aproved

Welp.

Astebreed's fun until you get to the bullshit final boss. And since you have to beat it all in one go, no saving or anything...yeah I'll probably never beat it (I know I shouldn't expect saving in a shmup, but Astebreed isn't really a traditional shmup, and it's a bit longer than your average shmup as well). Unfortunate, 'cause it's a really solid game. But after like 25-30 attempts at the last boss without being able to get to to even half health, the frustration was just too high. Had to give up. :(

I really do appreciate it though, Mokoi. And I'll definitely play it more at some point. But goddamn is it frustrating that I was that close to finishing it. =/

Use the infamous Steam regift feature and gift it to me!

Too bad such a thing doesnt exist

The anime gaf persecution is real!!!

So my shortlist is
CSD
Unholy heights
Battleblock giveaway

I remember hearing lots of good shit about unholy heights

I really really enjoyed Unholy Heights. It's suprisingly deep in terms of mechanics, such as how to order tenants in rooms for when an attack occurs and a breeding system to make monsters' children get stronger.

mannerbot

wait, is this happening?

There hasn't been an announcement or anything but I would assume so. Unless Ikaruga has tanked so far? I bought it day one so it's everybody else's fault if so!

edit: https://twitter.com/TreasureCoLtd/status/386025267593895936
New challenge! We are trying to distribute Treasure games on Steam.

To me that meant that I should expect ports of all the games that were re-released on XBLA, so that means Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun, Guardian Heroes, Bangai-O.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
And to expound a bit more on Astebreed, I think my biggest problem is that the difficulty curve leading to the last boss is extremely poor. Up until that point I'd continued only a few times. I know final bosses are supposed to be hard, but they shouldn't be several orders of magnitude more difficult than the entirety of the game before them. It's the same problem I had with Blazblue's arcade mode. Everything leading up to Hazama is a cakewalk, then Hazama himself is absolutely ridiculous. Either tone down the last boss a bit, or make everything leading up to it a bit more difficult so you're better prepared/more skilled by the end. Sudden difficulty spikes aren't fun at all.

And to expound a bit more on Astebreed, I think my biggest problem is that the difficulty curve leading to the last boss is extremely poor. Up until that point I'd continued only a few times. I know final bosses are supposed to be hard, but they shouldn't be several orders of magnitude more difficult than the entirety of the game before them. It's the same problem I had with Blazblue's arcade mode. Everything leading up to Hazama is a cakewalk, then Hazama himself is absolutely ridiculous. Either tone down the last boss a bit, or make everything leading up to it a bit more difficult so you're better prepared/more skilled by the end. Sudden difficulty spikes aren't fun at all.

You havent played Redeployment in Cloudbuilt yet :(
That is really impossible!

iosefe

Well. Entered the Lego giveaway. Decent time to sleep and dream and hope.

seriously, if you have speedrunners, add me so we can play: alsray

Mokoi

Banned
Welp.

Astebreed's fun until you get to the bullshit final boss. And since you have to beat it all in one go, no saving or anything...yeah I'll probably never beat it (I know I shouldn't expect saving in a shmup, but Astebreed isn't really a traditional shmup, and it's a bit longer than your average shmup as well). Unfortunate, 'cause it's a really solid game. But after like 25-30 attempts at the last boss without being able to get to to even half health, the frustration was just too high. Had to give up. :(

I really do appreciate it though, Mokoi. And I'll definitely play it more at some point. But goddamn is it frustrating that I was that close to finishing it. =/

Oh that final boss really tested my neves. I had expected a damm checkpoint there, but nope we can't have that. Having to replay the whole scene was so frustrating. Every boss before that was not even hard till they ramped up the diffuculty very abruptly. Still love it though.

Edit: Ah I see you mentioned that drastic spike in difficulty too.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
There hasn't been an announcement or anything but I would assume so. Unless Ikaruga has tanked so far? I bought it day one so it's everybody else's fault if so!

goddamn it Mannerbot, dont toy with my emotions like that. You really are a souless machine

1386472160841.gif

mannerbot

It's on my wishlist, it will have to wait till next sale though. I just picked up Ikaruga and Danmaku Unlimited 2.

If you don't already have Crimzon Clover you screwed up! And I don't really know what to think about Astebreed, seems really gimmicky from the footage I've seen and it's pretty weird that nobody at the shmups.com forum is talking about it. Think it's fair to say that it's probably not as good as all-time great shmups like Ikaruga and Crimzon Clover.

edit: jeez and I obviously must have read your posts in the OT as well. How embarrassing for me!

Mr.McFist

If you don't already have Crimzon Clover you screwed up! And I don't really know what to think about Astebreed, seems really gimmicky from the footage I've seen and it's pretty weird that nobody at the shmups.com forum is talking about it. Think it's fair to say that it's probably not as good as all-time great shmups like Ikaruga and Crimzon Clover.

You don't have to tell me that, I have it and I love it. As I just said Crimzon Clover is a masterpiece and my favourite shooter ever.

Ozium

reposting for the lightning time period: I know it's not much but one Marlow Briggs is worth Ten Gods of War...

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.]
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Marlow Briggs -- MB-0FC68F032A166028 - Taken by Oublieux. 16 entrants total.
Defy Gravity Extended -- MB-CD59914DF28093F0 - Taken by eggwolio. 3 entrants total.

t1404111664z1.png

edit: double pasting all the way

mannerbot

You don't have to tell me that, I have it and I love it. As I just said Crimzon Clover is a masterpiece and my favourite shooter ever.

Haha, whoops sorry about that, missed your post earlier. I just feel compelled to mention Crimzon Clover since it is such a high-quality game and it's just such a total unknown for people that don't actively follow the genre. Carry on with your good taste.

edit: and I definitely must have seen you post in the OT as well. How embarrassing for me!

Okay, so my first giveaway worked. Let's try it on the main event.
ModBot said:
I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

BroForce -- MB-439A59413ECF223E - Taken by alekth
Stick it to The Man -- MB-4574A931090090C5 - Taken by Casimir
Nidhogg -- MB-4664823C2F6534C0 - Taken by KainXVIII
Transistor -- MB-F15C0F6DEB8CB615 - Taken by Clown_im_OP
The Shivah -- MB-0EFDD887E94BE298 - Taken by eggwolio
Ikaruga -- MB-495BDC207348023C - Taken by Arthos
Outlast -- MB-5553896E91FFE602 - Taken by Leg-End
Mashed -- MB-0D9DF584AEDD9C71
Shovel Knight -- MB-593761F1AF9B5602 - Taken by zkylon
One Finger Death Punch -- MB-394718DDC135E66F - Taken by Toshin
SpeedRunners -- MB-48AC52E90DE5A89F - Taken by Baconsaurus Rex

t1404121373z1.png

And a special one for Mega Givers.
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- MEGA GIVERS ONLY! You must have given away at least 25 games through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

MbmDY6z.png

Mystery Game -- MB-A2691AFC1BE7CA94 - Taken by Vastag

t1404121523z1.png

damn, 2/2 in a day, thanks for speedrunners
You're welcome!

LGom09

Found some unused keys. Nothing too exciting.
ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Cogs -- MB-5551FDEAEECB43CF - Taken by ArynCrinn. 2 entrants total.
Crayon Physics Deluxe -- MB-3EBCCF6E1BD2D3BF - Taken by VlaudTheImpaler. 1 entrants total.
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition -- MB-2AE833E54F083E97 - Taken by Dusk Golem. 3 entrants total.
Eufloria -- MB-9F15EE0768C7ECF5 - Taken by Xamdou. 5 entrants total.
Medal of Honor -- MB-ED2F53361F36E925 - Taken by Necromanti. 3 entrants total.
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 - Uprising -- MB-5CFEE7FC7CFE4727 - Taken by Uni on Everything!. 2 entrants total.

t1404111773z1.png

Dambrosi

Banned
Ah, all this Crimzon Clover, Jamestown and Astebreed talk makes me want to break out into song!

*Hey hey let's go shoot za core
Launch now every Zig for great justice!
Boku ga warui so let's shooting...
Let's shooting looooooooooove!
Let's shooting loooooooooooooove!*

Okay, so my first giveaway worked. Let's try it on the main event.
And a special one for Mega Givers.

You're welcome!
That giveaway makes me want to break out into a full three-act operetta! Amazing second go there, mate!

About to buy:

Pacman Championship DX+ All You Can Eat Edition
Astebreed
Pineapple Smash Crew
Enslaved
Retro/Grade
Adventures of Shuggy

Am I good to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom