• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam - The Give & Get Sale (Nov 24-29 2010) - Make a Wishlist, might win 5 games!

GDJustin said:
At least GSB has some expansions I can buy to more directly support the indie dev. Although I think $6 each is a little too much :lol I wanna support them for more than $1, but not badly enough to buy four $6 pieces of DLC, ha. I suppose I'll nab the DLC if/when it's half off during the winter sale.

Yeah the Gratuitous Space Battles Expansions are overpriced for the amount of content they contain.

The two I recommend are the Order and the Swarm. The Galactic Conquest Expansion IS worth it I think, even though it's still in beta, one cool thing about it is that the AI downloads fleets and ship designs from other players over the internet and puts them into your game.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I just bought the Indie Air Pack, Metro and Dirt 2. Fuck yeah. I spent about $34 and ended up with 13+ games. Fuck yes.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Had $3 in my paypal this whole time.. I hate that it takes a week to get money into it from my bank account (dont have a CC) so i was thankful for KoTOR as I do not have it :D

amrod

Diablohead said:
Dear GAF, buy Dirt 2 and use some light mods I made to make your game look like this:

2vb7toz.png

9vjv2p.png

That is all.

Link to mod?

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
shagg_187 said:
They do. It's me debating whether it should get Dirt 2 or not! :lol
I was debating this as well, and just did it anyways (I did try the demo first though... it just barely works on my 3yr old laptop :lol: )

stuminus3

Aw, back to the not-so-cheap Black Ops store front. Is it too much to ask for Steam to resume normal business operations with a totally awesome midweek madness sale? :lol

markot

Banned
Dirt 2 is bad >.< no fun crap rally game that doesnt Rally properly....

Um.

But yeah, I made a wishlist valve... Wheres my free games Q.Q

stuminus3

shagg_187 said:
13 games are still listed under "special". DO IT!
...but there's nothing left for me to buy! Mafia II is still too pricey, I don't want want FFXI, and I already own the rest... :lol

1-D_FTW

markot said:
Dirt 2 is bad >.< no fun crap rally game that doesnt Rally properly....

Um.

But yeah, I made a wishlist valve... Wheres my free games Q.Q

Valve saw this post and retroactively went back in time and DQed you.

stuminus3 said:
...but there's nothing left for me to buy! Mafia II is still too pricey, I don't want want FFXI, and I already own the rest... :lol
Yeah, that Mafia 2 price was too high. It seemed somewhat reasonable since it is only 3 months old . . . but in view of the fact that you can buy it retail from Amazon for $39.99, they should have at least gone 33% off.

And they should have discounted the DLC. :-/

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
wayward archer said:
Yeah the Gratuitous Space Battles Expansions are overpriced for the amount of content they contain.

The two I recommend are the Order and the Swarm. The Galactic Conquest Expansion IS worth it I think, even though it's still in beta, one cool thing about it is that the AI downloads fleets and ship designs from other players over the internet and puts them into your game.

I'm a mac user so no Gal Conquest mode for me yet, but it's the one expansion I *know* I'm going to be buying, though. The new mode seems great. GSB seems to follow the AI War model for expansions - rather than adding a bunch of new scenarios or "meaty" content, they instead add more bits and bobs. More ships, more ship components, etc. With the exception of Gal. Conquest.

I sort of regret buying the AI War expacs in a bundle because, although they add a bunch of stuff (100+ new ships), that doesn't really impact the base gameplay experience in any material way. They're more for advanced users that need more variety.

If memory serves there are a total of five GSB expansions, at $6 a piece. If they're half off in the Xmas sale I'll buy them all. $15 isn't bad, and it'll make up for me paying $1 for the game itself. If they're less than 50% off, I'll pick up at least conquest, and maybe one other.

Shaneus

shagg_187 said:
They do. It's me debating whether it should get Dirt 2 or not! :lol
Even though you jumped in eventually, I can't believe you were debating buying it for $5. Really. It reminds me of Homer's postcard to Marge:
tumblr_lbotwoYwSl1qdoghio1_500.png

stuminus3

speculawyer said:
Yeah, that Mafia 2 price was too high. It seemed somewhat reasonable since it is only 3 months old . . . but in view of the fact that you can buy it retail from Amazon for $39.99, they should have at least gone 33% off.
I'd probably have bitten at 33%, too. Funny how Steam makes you think like that!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I nominate ghst for a tag change linking to that post of his. It's like the ID4 speech of PC gaming.

derFeef

I am giving away one free Left 4 Dead 2 right now - I have some. GAF is awesome and provided me some good times, so I thought it would be a good idea I am giving a bit back.

PM me with "L4D2 I LOVE YOU" as topic. I am going to choose a winner in 2 to 3 hours (and maybe do some giveaways later). :D

edit: it´s over, sorry!

Cheech

Dice said:
I nominate ghst for a tag change linking to that post of his. It's like the ID4 speech of PC gaming.

It's like something one of the Penny Arcade guys would write. You don't think...

derFeef said:
I am giving away one free Left 4 Dead 2 right now - I have some. GAF is awesome and provided me some good times, so I thought it would be a good idea I am giving a bit back.

PM me with "L4D2 I LOVE YOU" as topic. I am going to choose a winner in 2 to 3 hours (and maybe do some giveaways later). :D

I hope I win, I missed the sale :(

derFeef

And the free L4D2 goes to AndyD.
PM incoming.

Don't be sad other guys, I am giving away more of it soon (but not in this thread I guess).

IrishNinja

Stallion Free said:
No, they have made some comments regarding PC gaming that can never be forgiven.

as an aside: do you recall any specifics? i dont often read tycho's words, but what i have, i recall him being a fan, with the exception of early 2000's where he'd (rightfully) bitch about DRM and some of the lower points at the time.

ghst said:
steam* is the true blue ocean strategy. with the fiscal barrier to entry at ankle height, and all the weird and wonderful gaming delicacies of the globe brought right to your dinner plate, there's an entire generation of gamers whose tastes have had a nuclear bomb of eclecticism dropped on them.

when you see a collection of dirty no-name upstarts flying high above 3-month old aaa blockbusters in the steam charts, you can almost feel the heat from the perspiring brow of those who wish to condense the industry into a boy's-own-club of publishing juggernauts.

this sort of eclectic growth is a one way street, broadening and heightening your expectations, honing the critical faculties. there's nothing inherently masterful about dropping a grand on an i7 powered dragster, filling it with cheap steam games and photobombing threads with upscaled console ports. but to step out of your immediate comfort zone and embrace the daunting diversity, diving head first into games you have no prior facilities to master or even maneuver your way through, to become -- in essence -- a well traveled gamer, the plane tickets have never been cheaper or easier to come by. and if you come across a little elitist while debating the finer points of this world with people who refuse to drive their pickup past the borders of their deerfuck nowhere town, so be it.

*using steam as shorthand for the broader digitial-downloadscape.
I want to frame this post and hang it on my wall.

IrishNinja said:
as an aside: do you recall any specifics? i dont often read tycho's words, but what i have, i recall him being a fan, with the exception of early 2000's where he'd (rightfully) bitch about DRM and some of the lower points at the time.

IIRC he made a pretty infamous post about people complaining about the lack of dedicated servers in COD:MW

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
IrishNinja said:
Some bullshit about how we should just accept our getting fucked in the ass over dedicated servers for MW2 and enjoy it.

Fredescu

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2009/10/23/

Tycho said:
To read such lamentations, you'd get the impression that PC gamers still think they are the focus of the industry, when that hasn't been true for awhile. Indeed, hardcore gamers in general - and the dedicated PC enthusiast, which is a subset - haven't been the object of their desire for some time. I was under the impression this was well known, but it does require a willingness to perceive factual information, which is not a universal trait among cultists. Maybe if you had just put out [edit: ie buy DLC], instead of becoming a signatories to a vow of consumer chastity, the old twinkle might return to his eye.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2009/10/26/
Tycho said:
I've read so many posts of such a batshit, bugfuck nature about this Modern Warfare Server Thing that it's hard to know where to begin. If you are angry at this break from tradition, and if you feel betrayed by these eleventh hour revelations, these are both situated well within the reasonable and comport (by and large) to the known. Do not buy it. Your platform of choice is the most open, universal digital venue on the planet. A suitor will be along presently.

It's not cherry-picking to say that the notion of Microsoft somehow being involved runs deep. You could be charitable and say they mean Infinity Ward was infected somehow by Microsoft's peer to peer vision, but that's not what they're saying. They're talking about literal collusion to bring about the downfall of the PC. Even though Modern Warfare 2 is launching on Steam, leverages Steamworks, and grants Steam Achievements.

Some of the rage is channeled semi-constructively into (not a boycott, per se, but) a redirection of funds from Modern Warfare 2 over to Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - a notion that has been cannily seized by the would-be recipient. Bad Company 2 is going to be pretty good, so why not buy it - but let's pause for a moment and really absorb the idea that PC gamers are rallying around a DICE console port in their zeal. Nevermind the fact that you can't host your own Bad Company servers, and that having a dedicated server for the game involves renting it from one of their partners. Maybe they didn't read the FAQ?

As to why they want to create their own matchmaking network in the first place, the ability to make money selling maps is floated as a reason, and it makes a lot of sense - presumably they would rather make a million dollars than zero. A centralized defense against piracy is also suggested, and things tend to go downhill quick after this. It is not a mischaracterization to say that conversations with the hardcore PC community about software theft follow these tenets:

- There is no piracy.
- To the extent that piracy exists, which it doesn't, it's your fault.
- If you try to protect your game, we'll steal it as a matter of principle.

It's like, who wouldn't want to bend over backward in their service? You need to know it, because nobody else is going to tell you: you guys sound like Goddamned subway vagrants. Of course when you speak exclusively to each other, it all sounds so reasonable. It'll be reasonable when you all board the bus, and the songs you sing en route to excoriate your enemies will be forceful, but within reason; and when you douse yourself with gasoline and immolate yourself in front of the offices of Infinity Ward, one assumes this will be reasonable also.

It's mostly reasonable except for that last paragraph, where what he says is in fact a mischaracterisation, and it certainly "goes downhill quick" after that. I've seen much stupider pro-pc stuff on GAF though, so while it's stupid that a guy with his reach decides to respond to specific stupid forum posts by attacking a whole community, I don't really think it's that big a deal. Platform warriors might think otherwise.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well he started off on the wrong foot by associating "hardcore PC gaming" with those who play Modern Warfare. Those are more like hardcore PC asshats, the new Counter-Strike, if you will.

Najaf

derFeef said:
And the free L4D2 goes to AndyD.
PM incoming.

Don't be sad other guys, I am giving away more of it soon (but not in this thread I guess).

Can I get a bread crumb trail to follow?

vocab

Dice said:
Well he started off on the wrong foot by associating "hardcore PC gaming" with those who play Modern Warfare. Those are more like hardcore PC asshats, the new Counter-Strike, if you will.

Maybe on 360, but every time I play COD on PC, no one really talks shit + they aren't that good to talk shit. Hell even competitive COD4 was tame in comparison to competitive 1.6.

IrishNinja

heh - never read that rant of his at the time of the game's release...kind've ironic that he's on about PC gamers using a strawman argument to justify piracy, while employing one himself speaking on them.
i'll chalk it up to the many other things i don't see eye to eye with Tycho on, despite enjoying PA strips. and yeah, i know it's been debated on here, but i still can't see how elements of his writing don't ooze a bit've pretension - it's good to possess such a vocab, but dropping it at every possible instance makes it feel as though you're paid per syllable.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
animlboogy said:
He's still an important figure and deserves everything he has; I just don't think he ever evolved into something else over the years, the way people often do in the public eye. He's as reactionary as anybody on here.
Certainly not for his writing or opinions. For Child's Play and the Expo? Sure.

Top Bottom