• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam - The Give & Get Sale (Nov 24-29 2010) - Make a Wishlist, might win 5 games!

Sysgen

Beat Hazard on Insane is so badass. Though the enemy list is limited the attention to sound, visual detail and controller feedback is amazing. One of the better twin stick shooters that I've played and to boot the visualizer as well as the patterns and speed of the game change with each song.

Varna

Jesus. Metro seems like a brutal game to run.

i5-760, 460GTX+ 1GB, 4GB of Ram, Win7 64-bit.

Just loaded it up on very high... 30-40 with no aa. First monster encounter.... just drops into the teens. I tried lowering the settings to medium... it's not very playable. What kind of system do you need to play it well?

Blizzard

Banned
Wallach said:
Then go... and do not return until you are done.
This is actually a suggestion he should take seriously. And hopefully he likes the game. :)

As for the sale, I guess since I didn't want most of the indie games or already had them, I ended up with a pretty expensive haul overall.

$37.50 total for Just Caust 2, both Mount & Blade games, King's Bounty: Crossworlds, Metro 2033, and Machinarium.

stuminus3

So today's sale and talk of KotOR inspired me to come home tonight to have another crack at getting the game to run, and... it just does. Motherfucker just does. I didn't do anything. Widescreen mods, framebuffer effects, fullscreen FMV, super sampling, it's all there, and it all works.

WTF?! I haven't even changed any drivers since the last time I tried this out a couple of weeks ago. Shit hasn't ever worked on this hardware, and now it just does. :lol

I hate it when that happens. But it's still pretty great. You guys saying it looks bad/old are nuts.

EDIT:
Just loaded it up on very high... 30-40 with no aa. First monster encounter.... just drops into the teens. I tried lowering the settings to medium... it's not very playable. What kind of system do you need to play it well?
Check the DX11 options, Metro is the only DX11 game I've seen that has DX11 options that murder the framerate so brutally. Also, that first enemy encounter? It's probably the most graphically intensive point in the whole game, for some reason. Maybe they did that deliberately to get people to set their performance expectations properly.

Amneisac

Varna said:

I have that system, I play on high dx9.

Fredescu

Varna said:
What kind of system do you need to play it well?
In DX11, a pretty crazy one.
33822.png

Try it in DX10 or DX9.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Varna said:

i have the exact same system. i downloaded the nvidia drivers which i think gives a ~%10 boost to performance. and i played on dx11, no aa, 1080p, DOF off, tesselation on, high settings and averaged around 30-40 fps i believe

ZZMitch

-COOLIO- said:
i have the exact same system. i downloaded the nvidia drivers which i think gives a ~%10 boost to performance. and i played on dx11, no aa, 1080p, DOF off, tesselation on, high settings and averaged around 30-40 fps i believe

I have pretty much the exact same as you, but what does tesselation do exactly? I just turned both of them off and my fps went from 20 to 60+ :D

ghst

thanks for the laugh
TheFightingFish said:
These sales have actually changed the way that I think about my backlog. With console games I used to try to always keep my backlog down and quickly trade in stuff that I wasn't using any more. There was a bit of a feeling of guilt watching the trade in prices tick down on games that were just sitting in my cabinet.

But with a gaming PC and Steam sales I now just considers about 60-70 bucks a year an investment in my PC digital library. I don't pay more than about $15 for any one game so that 60 translates to about 10 or 12 games which I can pull up anytime from Steam when I'm in the mood. It's true that for some games that I don't play I might have been able to buy them cheaper, but with $15 starting prices and the fact that you can't trade them in it seems like less of a deal with Steam games. It more like a "Steam subscription" like Zune or Rhapsody for music where I get a whole convenient catalog at my disposal for a fee of X bucks as opposed to individual game purchases.

I also feel a lot less guilty not sinking lots of time into games. Pickup something for $5 playing it until it gets boring in 8 hours or so and then kicking it to the curb is way easier with a big Steam catalog to browse through. I end up getting way more gaming experiences in one year when I play this way.

Sorry, kinda random long post there. This last sale just got me thinking about how Steam changed my gaming habits over the last year or so.

steam* is the true blue ocean strategy. with the fiscal barrier to entry at ankle height, and all the weird and wonderful gaming delicacies of the globe brought right to your dinner plate, there's an entire generation of gamers whose tastes have had a nuclear bomb of eclecticism dropped on them.

when you see a collection of dirty no-name upstarts flying high above 3-month old aaa blockbusters in the steam charts, you can almost feel the heat from the perspiring brow of those who wish to condense the industry into a boy's-own-club of publishing juggernauts.

this sort of eclectic growth is a one way street, broadening and heightening your expectations, honing the critical faculties. there's nothing inherently masterful about dropping a grand on an i7 powered dragster, filling it with cheap steam games and photobombing threads with upscaled console ports. but to step out of your immediate comfort zone and embrace the daunting diversity, diving head first into games you have no prior facilities to master or even maneuver your way through, to become -- in essence -- a well traveled gamer, the plane tickets have never been cheaper or easier to come by. and if you come across a little elitist while debating the finer points of this world with people who refuse to drive their pickup past the borders of their deerfuck nowhere town, so be it.

*using steam as shorthand for the broader digitial-downloadscape.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
ZZMitch said:
I have pretty much the exact same as you, but what does tesselation do exactly? I just turned both of them off and my fps went from 20 to 60+ :D
you probably wont notice the tessellation differences unless you look for it. basically, round things are rounder. the lamp heads, valves, night vision goggles on other dudes.

i pretty much just turned it on because it wasnt affecting my performance that much and i know that nvidia cards are good at it.

so i kept it on for nerdy reasons, its no biggie though.

ZZMitch

-COOLIO- said:
you probably wont notice the tessellation differences unless you look for it. basically, round things are rounder. the lamp heads, valves, night vision goggles on other dudes.

i pretty much just turned it on because it wasnt affecting my performance that much and i know that nvidia cards are good at it.

so i kept it on for nerdy reasons, its no biggie though.

Ah, well I will try it on just the same, maybe DOF was the thing hurting my fps the most.

AcridMeat said:
Oh jeez, the holiday sale is already on?! I'm not ready
I'm totally ready.

to be raped by steam :(
Its too soon, but also would be totally awesome if we rolled right into the holiday sale. They can drop the prices on everything like they did last year and then start up the daily deals when we get closer to christmas.

John

ghst said:
steam is the true blue ocean strategy. with the fiscal barrier to entry at ankle height, and all the weird and wonderful gaming delicacies of the globe brought right to you dinner plate, there's an entire generation of gamers whose tastes have had a nuclear bomb of eclecticism dropped on them.

when you see a collection of dirty no-name upstarts flying high above 3-month old aaa blockbusters in the steam charts, you can almost feel the heat from the perspiring brow of those who wish to condense the industry into a boy's-own-club of publishing juggernauts.

this sort of eclectic growth is a one way street, broadening and heightening your expectations, honing the critical faculties. there's nothing inherently masterful about dropping a grand on an i7 powered dragster, filling it with cheap steam games and photobombing threads with upscaled console ports. but to step out of your immediate comfort zone and embrace the daunting diversity, diving head first into games you have no prior facilities to master or even maneuver your way through, to become -- in essence -- a well traveled gamer, the plane tickets have never been cheaper or easier to come by. and if you come across a little elitist while debating the finer points of this world with people who refuse to drive their pickup past the borders of their deerfuck nowhere town, so be it.

i shed a tear

AcridMeat

Banned
Lostconfused said:
Its too soon, but also would be totally awesome if we rolled right into the holiday sale. They can drop the prices on everything like they did last year and then start up the daily deals when we get closer to christmas.

I'm going off of the steam store right now..."On to the Holidays!"

and "Check back every day for new deals!"

NO ONE IS SAFE!

Risette

A Good Citizen
SolarPowered said:
I feel kind of bad for those who missed it, but the damned packs were in top place through the entire span of sales!

We also an entire dedicated thread with large participation. I kind of feel bad, but I'm wondering how so many people missed it...

It'll probably be on sale again and the devs behind the game would be stupid to not participate in another one after the burst of support and attention this sale got them. It's pretty customary to see a double dip when it comes to indie game sales. Just don't expect another indie pack. Maybe $7.50 for the game on it's own probably.
Well I hope it does get dropped. It's the only game I'm interested that's in the pack really, I probably wouldn't even install the rest.

But I just played the demo and damn this game is fun. Maybe I'll just have to get it for $20. :/

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Just the obligitory and year-late "Trine is incredible" post.

r1chard

looks like I'm finally gonna be giving KoTOR a run ... that's four games into my library for rainy days from this sale so far ...

Varna

-COOLIO- said:

Good settings. Very playable. Game looks pretty f'en crazy. Going to play on the hardcore ranger difficulty. Seems like my kind of thing.

EDIT: I'm sure it's easy enough to do. But why don't they just let you mess with all the options on your own?

Proc

Star Wars: KOTOR
Metro 2033 All Languages
Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck's Revenge
Indie Puzzle Pack
Indie Pulse Pack
Machinarium
Indie Clever Pack
Indie Story Pack

...not bad for $40. I'm most excited about finally owning metro 2033.

I've been having a great time with vvvvv. I can't recommend that one enough.

Dreavus

So how does the gifting multiple games work? I'm interested in getting the lead and gold 10 pack, but might not have 9 people to give to immediately. Do I have to choose 9 right when I buy it or can I hold onto the extra games until I decide who I'm giving it to?

Reason I ask is because I'm heading to a small-ish LAN next weekend and I'm not sure who exactly is coming yet. Thought it might be a fun game to play there.

I saw Dirt 2 was on sale and tried the demo. Bought.

I loved the rally racing in GT3, but there is no way I have time for GT5 right now. This should be some good racing fun for now.

Volcynika

Dreavus said:
So how does the gifting multiple games work? I'm interested in getting the lead and gold 10 pack, but might not have 9 people to give to immediately. Do I have to choose 9 right when I buy it or can I hold onto the extra games until I decide who I'm giving it to?

Reason I ask is because I'm heading to a small-ish LAN next weekend and I'm not sure who exactly is coming yet. Thought it might be a fun game to play there.

You manage your gifts and such in the Games -> Manage Gifts and Guest Passes. They stay there forever until you gift them.

ghst said:
steam* is the true blue ocean strategy. with the fiscal barrier to entry at ankle height, and all the weird and wonderful gaming delicacies of the globe brought right to you dinner plate, there's an entire generation of gamers whose tastes have had a nuclear bomb of eclecticism dropped on them.

*using steam as shorthand for the broader digitial-downloadscape.
Absolutely amazing...

*claps away*
Aigis said:
Well I hope it does get dropped. It's the only game I'm interested that's in the pack really, I probably wouldn't even install the rest.

But I just played the demo and damn this game is fun. Maybe I'll just have to get it for $20. :/
The worst that happens is that Christmas rolls by and a deal never shows up. It shouldn't matter anyway since most people here have a massive library of games to keep them busy. I can bet cash that you've got at least three games you need to catch up on so there is no need to hurry.

Jintor

I spent a looooooooooooooot of money on games I already have this sale (Gifts to other people/stockpiling for later) :T

Red

Varna said:

It just kicked my ass (4GHz i7, 5870) with DX11 enabled at 1024x768. I was getting sub-20fps :lol

Been a while since a game's been able to do that.

Varna

Crunched said:
It just kicked my ass (4GHz i7, 5870) with DX11 enabled at 1024x768. I was getting sub-20fps :lol

Been a while since a game's been able to do that.

Try COOLIO's settings. Worked good for me. Sucks having to turn stuff down. Game still looks awesome though.

Red

Varna said:
Try COOLIO's settings. Worked good for me. Sucks having to turn stuff down. Game still looks awesome though.
I didn't realize you could turn AA off in Metro. I'm looking through the options now and it seems it's either MSAA or AAA. There's no off. And with AAA, why would there be?

I average about 35 fps at 720p with everything on/DX11, but my frame rate halves in intense firefights. It's playable, but choppy. I just switched to DX10 and left everything on very high and it's much smoother.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Crunched said:
I didn't realize you could turn AA off in Metro. I'm looking through the options now and it seems it's either MSAA or AAA. There's no off. And with AAA, why would there be?

I average about 35 fps at 720p with everything on/DX11, but my frame rate halves in intense firefights. It's playable, but choppy. I just switched to DX10 and left everything on very high and it's much smoother.

opps i meant AAA

filipe

Did anyone buy any extra copies of the Orange Box to later sell? My older brother just fell in love with Team Fortress 2, missing the sale by what, 2 days?

If so, PM me and we'll work out a price.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I've decided I don't want to bother with KOTOR, because it just isn't calling to me. Fallout 3 is kind of moving to the back burner right now, but I think I'm about to get hooked by Jade Empire. It will carry me through to the Dragon Age sale I'm waiting to happen on Steam, and if it doesn't, I have two dozen other games to finish or even start. :lol

Jimrpg

the thing with the big Steam sales is that I would buy more... but i have so many unfinished games... whats the point...

im not complaining... but I do want to buy the games... i just can't justify spending it on an unused game!

what i have done is to spread the love a little - i bought the indie story pack x4 :)

Steam = Amazing :)

cicero

Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY - $10.20
Supreme Commander 2 - $3.75
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light - $7.49
King's Bounty: Crossworlds - $5.00
Monkey Island™ 2 Special Edition: LeChuck’s Revenge™ - $2.50
Lead & Gold - $2.00
Just Cause 2 - $7.50
Mount and Blade Warband - $5.83
Puzzle Quest 2 - $3.50
Indie Pulse Pack - $4.99
Bit.Trip Beat
Audiosurf
Beat Hazard
Rhythm Zone
The Polynomial
Indie Story Pack - $4.99
And Yet It Moves
Gish
Jolly Rover
Puzzle Agent
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale

Thank you to whoever hosted any Gift Packs!

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I decided to go ahead and beat Metro. The game does get better than I thought it would. Still not a great FPS, but definitely worth $10.

Top Bottom