• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam - The Give & Get Sale (Nov 24-29 2010) - Make a Wishlist, might win 5 games!

Varna

Blizzard said:
Vsync ingame, or in D3DOverrider, or in your video card drivers, or in ATI radeonpro, or...?

D3DOverride is off for Metro because it always crashes DX10/11 games. I don't see an in-game option. It was on in the control panel and I turned it off. It's unlocked again. No way to play this with v-sync?

filipe

filipe said:
Did anyone buy any extra copies of the Orange Box to later sell? My older brother just fell in love with Team Fortress 2, missing the sale by what, 2 days?

If so, PM me and we'll work out a price.

Selfish bump for new page.

Blizzard

Banned
Varna said:
D3DOverride is off for Metro because it always crashes DX10/11 games. I don't see an in-game option. It was on in the control panel and I turned it off. It's unlocked again. No way to play this with v-sync?
That's...how vsync works, without triple buffering. You'll get 60, 30, or I 20 or 15 fps, since that's what will evenly fit into your display's refresh rate. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. And hardly ANYONE is going to get 60 fps with Metro, it seems, without cranking settings down.

Triple buffering vsync should let you get 30-60 variable framerate, though I don't fully understand how it all works. If Metro doesn't support triple buffering natively, and it doesn't use OpenGL, then you're stuck using D3DOverrider (and thus presumably DX9 mode). Or MAYBE give RadeonPro/the nVidia equivalent a shot. They might have a triple buffering option.

AcridMeat

Banned
I need to retire from Plain Sight, playing all of the new people I scored 800+ in deathmatch. :lol :lol

The flaming sword is like having a hack on.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Lara Croft is fucking amazing. I just played 2 hours of co op with a friend. Definitely the best purchase I made during this sale.

Red

stuminus3 said:
That's odd, I've never had a DX10/11 game crash on me, and I have d3doverrider running all the time.
Yeah, I was using it for Metro in DX10/11 just like fifteen minutes ago. No problems.

Volcynika

Archie said:
Lara Croft is fucking amazing. I just played 2 hours of co op with a friend. Definitely the best purchase I made during this sale.

Me and a friend played and were doing the swamp level or something, and right near the end we were at the sale switch over for Sunday - Monday's deals, and the Steam servers went down and we got disconnected. :lol

Fffffffffffffffffffffff

Varna

Blizzard said:
That's...how vsync works, without triple buffering. You'll get 60, 30, or I 20 or 15 fps, since that's what will evenly fit into your display's refresh rate. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. And hardly ANYONE is going to get 60 fps with Metro, it seems, without cranking settings down.

Triple buffering vsync should let you get 30-60 variable framerate, though I don't fully understand how it all works. If Metro doesn't support triple buffering natively, and it doesn't use OpenGL, then you're stuck using D3DOverrider (and thus presumably DX9 mode). Or MAYBE give RadeonPro/the nVidia equivalent a shot. They might have a triple buffering option.

The problem is screen tearing. I realize I won't hardly hit 60FPS in Metro. There is actually an option in the nvidia control panel to force triple buffering. That's what I use for dx10/11 games.

stuminus3 said:
That's odd, I've never had a DX10/11 game crash on me, and I have d3doverrider running all the time.

Odd. If I don't create an off profile for a dx10/11 game It just gives me a black screen when I start the game.

Blizzard

Banned
Varna said:
The problem is screen tearing. I realize I won't hardly hit 60FPS in Metro.
Right, and I hate screen tearing, I'm just saying you have limited ways to solve it. Either the game has a way around it, or you use D3DOverrider (even if you have to make do with dx9), or you try radeonpro if you have an ATI card, etc.

Otherwise, with no triple buffering and vsync, you're stuck with 30 fps as far as I know.

Varna

Blizzard said:
Right, and I hate screen tearing, I'm just saying you have limited ways to solve it. Either the game has a way around it, or you use D3DOverrider (even if you have to make do with dx9), or you try radeonpro if you have an ATI card, etc.

Otherwise, with no triple buffering and vsync, you're stuck with 30 fps as far as I know.

Damn. I play plenty of DX10/11 games and this is the only one that does this to me. :(

IrishNinja

my haul:

* Deus Ex: Game of the Year - FREE (gifted from a friend!)
* Alpha Protocol - $7.50
* Indie Story Pack - $5
* Indie Clever Pack - $5
* Torchlight - $5
* NyxQuest - FREE (thanks again speculawyer, you're the man!)
* Indie Puzzle Pack - $5
* Orange Box - $7.50
* KOTOR - $2.50

= 30 games for $42.50. holy fuck, i made off like a bandit! the indie packs were far & away the best deals; i had Recettear on my wishlist when it was $20 and i was prepared to buy it at $10, getting it for five with 4 other games - 2 of which i was interested in - is a fucking steal.

hated passing on Arkham Asylum GOTY & Tomb Raider Guardian of Light, but im sure they'll come back around...when's the christmas sale start again?!

IrishNinja

i have mixed feelings about that.
on one hand, plenty of time to save up/recover from this sale; on the other, that's so far away...

I only picked up the indie pulse pack and supreme commander 2 (I missed the indie clever pack which I would have gotten). But this sale reminded me of Alien Swarm which I reinstalled and have been playing some... very underrated game.

MoFuzz

I gave, I got, I conquered.

Thanks to all the GAF members who teamed up for packs & extra kudos to the hosts of said packs.

Dreavus

IrishNinja said:
my haul:

* Deus Ex: Game of the Year - FREE (gifted from a friend!)
* Alpha Protocol - $7.50
* Indie Story Pack - $5
* Indie Clever Pack - $5
* Torchlight - $5
* NyxQuest - FREE (thanks again speculawyer, you're the man!)
* Indie Puzzle Pack - $5
* Orange Box - $7.50
* KOTOR - $2.50

= 30 games for $42.50. holy fuck, i made off like a bandit! the indie packs were far & away the best deals; i had Recettear on my wishlist when it was $20 and i was prepared to buy it at $10, getting it for five with 4 other games - 2 of which i was interested in - is a fucking steal.

hated passing on Arkham Asylum GOTY & Tomb Raider Guardian of Light, but im sure they'll come back around...when's the christmas sale start again?!

Yup, the indie packs nailed it. I was so tempted to pick up today's even though I already have Altitude, though I think I'll be able to resist.

Recettear pack is so so good.

Aaron

I've bought exactly nothing so far, since had more than half the deals already. Where's my dirt cheap Singularity EA? I can get it for less than $20 on consoles, but Steam is still $50. Where's my wishlist come true?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Aaron said:
I've bought exactly nothing so far, since had more than half the deals already. Where's my dirt cheap Singularity EA? I can get it for less than $20 on consoles, but Steam is still $50. Where's my wishlist come true?
Well it's Activision not EA so you should probably redirect your wishes.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Gratuitous Space Battles, Altitude, and Tidalis are all fantastic. I feel terrible for getting all three for $1, since they're all indie titles.

At least GSB has some expansions I can buy to more directly support the indie dev. Although I think $6 each is a little too much :lol I wanna support them for more than $1, but not badly enough to buy four $6 pieces of DLC, ha. I suppose I'll nab the DLC if/when it's half off during the winter sale.

Masenkame

Iron Grip: Warlord from the Indie Clever Pack is great fun. Tower defense with first-person shooting in a multiplayer setting is a great idea that is executed well. There's just a one button press to switch modes instantly. It's actually pretty simple, but a lot of fun.

Shatter, Puzzle Dimensions, Tidalis, Gish, and World of Goo are worth checking out too. I need to play a bunch of the other games a bit more to recommend them.

Luigiv

Mzo said:
No, but neither is living.
not particularly helpful. I'll rephrase my question. Are the Puzzles in SoMI2 any less retarded then the ones in the original? Also is the Humour any better?

It's not that I hated the original, it's just that I found the utterly illogical puzzles to be absolutely no fun and the humour, whilst occasionally chuckle-worthy, was not strong enough to carry the experience alone.

I hear the second is considered to be the better game so does it make any improvements on those aspects.

Jintor

I'll be honest: you're going to struggle. If you don't find LucasArts classic's absurdist puzzle tendancies to be any fun, you're probably still not going to enjoy Monkey Island.

Personally I thought it worth it for the director's commentary alone, but whatevs

Luigiv

Jintor said:
I'll be honest: you're going to struggle. If you don't find LucasArts classic's absurdist puzzle tendancies to be any fun, you're probably still not going to enjoy Monkey Island.

Personally I thought it worth it for the director's commentary alone, but whatevs
Fair enough. I'll save myself $2.50 then.

Luigiv said:
not particularly helpful. I'll rephrase my question. Are the Puzzles in SoMI2 any less retarded then the ones in the original? Also is the Humour any better?

It's not that I hated the original, it's just that I found the utterly illogical puzzles to be absolutely no fun and the humour, whilst occasionally chuckle-worthy, was not strong enough to carry the experience alone.

I hear the second is considered to be the better game so does it make any improvements on those aspects.

Monkey Island 2's puzzles are probably less logical as a whole. Or logical in an totally stupid way (spoiler: you use a monkey as an actual monkey wrench. Which I imagine must have been hell for people who live in regions where they call it a spanner). I think the humor and the story work a lot better though, since the game has a more clear plot instead of "here's some guy named Guybrush, he wants to be a pirate".

Minsc

Gold Member
Varna said:

No problems with Metro 2033 and D3DOverrider + DX11 here, played through to the end just recently, not a single crash, triple buffered v-sync all the way.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Damage from the sales

Indie adventure pack - GIFTED
Freedom force - GIFTED
Super Meat Boy 9.99 USD (err not part of the sale but i'll include it)
Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck's Revenge 2.50 USD
Dirt 2 5.00 USD
Metro 2033 All Languages 7.50 USD
Star Wars: KOTOR 2.50 USD

Total - 27.49 USD

I'm spending way less then i did last year. I guess the amount of money i spent in that year paid off in the end.:lol only games I'm really after in the christmas sale is DOW 2 chaos rising, S.T.A.L.K.E.R COP, guardian of light VVVVV & amnesia

Not too much damage from the sale, just Alpha Protocol and PQ2. I was a little gun shy cause I still have a PC gaming backlog 10 games deep from the last holiday sale so I was only in the market for games I was 100% sure I plan on playing at some point.

I picked up the Indie clever pack and Metro.

I would have bought more, but considering half of my purchased steam games aren't even installed, let alone used even once, I just can't justify buying more games, no matter how cheap they are.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I ended up totalling $65 on this sale... shit.

Plus the $10 on Impulse for RE5!

$75 in videogames for last week. At least I have enough to last me a long while... as if I didn't already...

edit: btw, what the fuck is with the lack of crouching in AvP? Who thought that was a good idea?

Minsc

Gold Member
BobsRevenge said:
I ended up totalling $65 on this sale... shit.

Plus the $10 on Impulse for RE5!

$75 in videogames for last week. At least I have enough to last me a long while... as if I didn't already...

edit: btw, what the fuck is with the lack of crouching in AvP? Who thought that was a good idea?

Enough to last till the holiday sales?

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Minsc said:
Enough to last till the holiday sales?
Enough to put a dent into the sales that will be on games I don't already own. :lol :lol

:(

Seriously, I'm not even sure what else I want to buy now. Holy shit. :D

graywolf323

Jive Turkey said:
Usually it's the last week of December through the first week of January.

more like the last 2 weeks of December, it usually starts right before Christmas or around the first day of Winter

I'm guessing this year it'll be around December 21st - January 3rd

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
ghst said:
steam* is the true blue ocean strategy. with the fiscal barrier to entry at ankle height, and all the weird and wonderful gaming delicacies of the globe brought right to you dinner plate, there's an entire generation of gamers whose tastes have had a nuclear bomb of eclecticism dropped on them.

when you see a collection of dirty no-name upstarts flying high above 3-month old aaa blockbusters in the steam charts, you can almost feel the heat from the perspiring brow of those who wish to condense the industry into a boy's-own-club of publishing juggernauts.

this sort of eclectic growth is a one way street, broadening and heightening your expectations, honing the critical faculties. there's nothing inherently masterful about dropping a grand on an i7 powered dragster, filling it with cheap steam games and photobombing threads with upscaled console ports. but to step out of your immediate comfort zone and embrace the daunting diversity, diving head first into games you have no prior facilities to master or even maneuver your way through, to become -- in essence -- a well traveled gamer, the plane tickets have never been cheaper or easier to come by. and if you come across a little elitist while debating the finer points of this world with people who refuse to drive their pickup past the borders of their deerfuck nowhere town, so be it.

*using steam as shorthand for the broader digitial-downloadscape.

359et0z.jpg

Top Bottom