• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam to Gamers Abroad: NO HL2 FOR YOU?

Sho Nuff

Banned
OK, serious question here:

Has anyone been able to register Steam from a non-US country with a US credit card? All four of my credit cards were turned down tonight (I'm in Japan). I'm assuming that Valve sees a US billing address and a non-US IP address and that sends up a red flag. It also informed me that my primary Visa account had been placed "on hold" so I'm going to need to call Visa tomorrow so I can, you know, ACTUALLY USE MY CREDIT CARD AGAIN.

I understand that they need to protect against international fraud, but if they're gonna make me jump through hoops with this Steam shit, then I'll get the boxed version and Vivendi will get the larger percentage of my money. :mad:

Blimblim

The Inside Track
A friend of mine here in France is playing the game right now, and I really doubt he's got anything but a french visa or mastercard credit card.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
SteamboatWreck.jpg

Hooker

I used my sisters credit card to pay for the silver package, we both live in Holland.

I had no problems with it though, went through without a hitch. I guess like you already assumed that it's some sort of protection. Calling Visa would do the job I reckon

Bebpo

Banned
Damn you guys should've made this thread 2 weeks ago.

Living in Japan I had the same problem through steam. None of my US cards worked. So I contacted steam-billing and talked to them over about a week and a half. The problem is that if your IP does not match the country of your billing address it kills your attempt. So basically I explained my situation to them, they took a week+ to reply and say they were working on it and then 2-3 days later they told me to give it a try and it should work...and it did.

So yea they'll fix it for you, but be prepared to wait a week before they do.

Sho Nuff

Banned
OK, then a boxed copy it is! Screw you Valve! From my mother's basement I strike at thee!

Thanks for the info Bebpo.

(BTW, I've never had a problem using a US CC from a Japanese location before.)

Top Bottom