• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

THIS! I have been waiting for a World in Conflict sale for quite some time now.

I thought I was the only one. But according to Steamprices it never was cheaper and now it's too old to ever become a daily or flash if they keep the format of this sale.

Xanathus

They do have an economist at the helm now. I imagine if Steam started to significantly slip in the DD market, we'd see amazing fire sales.
Yeah that's what I'm saying, the only way you're going to get back to amazing prices from Steam is if they end up with lower revenue after their current sales. I've noticed the trend in poorer Steam prices starting this year so this whole year could have been a pricing experiment.

derExperte

Mark of the Ninja looks so tempting. Gonna try and actually stick to a budget during a steam sale though. Willpower activate!

Tomorrow is the new year, so do it like every reasonable junkie: 'In 2013 I vow to stick to my budget. I promise! But now I'm buying Mark of the Ninja goddamnit.'

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Not just you, the discounts of all NFS games in the flash sale just went down to 50% =
Between that and EA games being more expensive in my country, I'll pass on every single one. Well, I got Alice, which was $7.50 when in previous sales it had been $12 (couldn't resist at that price), but that is all

I wonder if all these bundle pricing errors and uncompetitive sale prices are actually errors or are they Steam trying to see how far they can exploit their position in the DD market.
I don't know, artificially inflating the prices and lying to customers with the price of bundles seems rather shady to me. It's a shame Valve had to resort to these shitty tactics.

baconcow

Oh shit, it just went 75% off flash sale right now. I should be able to get to the bank before it ends (and study pre-flight procedures for a week or two before my fighterstick arrives, lol) Sweeeeet.

I have a Radeon 5850, AMD Phenom II X4 955, and 8GB RAM. I think I'll be okay, though I may have to tune it down some.

Would it be okay to play with just the Fighterstick? Can you turn on individual aids so maybe it could take the edge off if things are a bit hairy with limited hardware?

That's not nuts, THIS IS NUTS

You can play with just the fighter stick. You can use the little throttle on the Fighterstick, but I don't find it as good as the Pro Throttle. I need to pick up the Pedals, lol. You can use the keyboard, also, for throttle controls, although it won't be analog and accurate.

That video is insane. LMFAO! Hardcore to the MAX! His Warthog sticks and throttle cost like $500+ by themselves. LOL! It't too bad that he isn't using the 3 screen setup to take advantage of his TrackIR and enhance the realism.

oipic

Wow... They literally just changed the price of Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit from $4.99 (75% off) to $9.99 (50% off) as I went from putting it in my cart to go check on a couple of other game. I came back and suddenly there was a price shift and a message from Steam. Is it just me? I didn't think the sale could get any worse, but they are really topping themselves here. This is pathetic and annoying.

Balance has been restored, and all is well - Shift 2 Unleashed is now back to an oh-so-tempting $39.99 on the AU store... nothing to scoff at, that's a whole 50% off!

Happy New Year, Australia (a little over two hours to 2013 here on the Eastern seaboard).

EDIT: 20,000 posts in ten days? Nice work, Team SteamGAF.

Nabs

I wonder if all these bundle pricing errors and uncompetitive sale prices are actually errors or are they Steam trying to see how far they can exploit their position in the DD market.

Publishers set sales prices on Steam. Valve can't just drop prices whenever they feel. They provide sales data to pubs, but it's ultimately up to them to give us better deals.

They had a couple of bundle price errors over the weekend, but didn't actually rip anyone off in the process. The Sonic bundle was exactly the same as before, and the Far Cry one actually contains the Deluxe Edition. They could use this information to improve their store and bundle pages, but I don't think it was intentional.

20k posts...

Well done, GAF. As for me... I've gotten just about everything I wanted. My cousin gifted me MotN so I'm set. This sale was pretty good all in all. It's great that other DD storefronts are bringing it to Steam as well.

Xanathus

Publishers set sales prices on Steam. Valve can't just drop prices whenever they feel. They provide sales data to pubs, but it's ultimately up to them to give us better deals.

They had a couple of bundle price errors over the weekend, but didn't actually rip anyone off in the process. The Sonic bundle was exactly the same as before, and the Far Cry one actually contains the Deluxe Edition. They could use this information to improve their store and bundle pages, but I don't think it was intentional.
Was expecting this excuse. Publishers do have the final say on what prices they set but it's most likely Steam that suggests the prices in the first place, and typically pubs follow their recommendations. It's one thing if only a few publishers like Activision and Capcom still had bad discounts, but we're seeing this happening across Steam's entire catalog. It's blatantly obvious that Steam is the one responsible for this current pricing trend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom