• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

NBtoaster

My guess is you can view but you need an invite to play. Do you need an invite? If so, PM me.

Seems I was mistaken, nothing has changed. I'm alright without an invite, I'll get the holiday pack if it goes on sale or just wait until it releases.

c0Zm1c

On a side note, could anybody tell me the exact name of the Witcher 2 folder in the Steam "custom" folder? I'm using the Gog installed files to fool steam into thinking I already have the game files but I need the exact name for that to work.
Is that even possible?

Megasoum

Banned
Is that even possible?

Of course, I finally found the path on google. I copied the folder from my old Program Files\Gog.com\ folder to the Steamapps\common folder and steam found it right away. Only had to download 300megs (which are probably from updates that came out since the last time I played the gog version). Sure beats re-downloading the whole 20+ gigs!

Fjordson

Welp, I just completed my Spiderweb Software catalog (already have the Geneforge games).

Was so impressed by Geneforge 1 and 2, so hopefully some of these other games are good. Avadon and the Avernum 1 remake look particularly interesting.

c0Zm1c

Of course, I finally found the path on google. I copied the folder from my old Program Files\Gog.com\ folder to the Steamapps\common folder and steam found it right away. Only had to download 300megs (which are probably from updates that came out since the last time I played the gog version). Sure beats re-downloading the whole 20+ gigs!
Oh right, I see. I was thinking you didn't own the game on your Steam account and were trying to fool it into thinking you did.

Wok

Remember to sign in this giveaway, or to have a look at this little gem.

To satisfy people in a different timezone, I have created another little 8-hour giveaway.

English Country Tune is an abstract 3D puzzle game, which introduces a wide range of game mechanics in about 120 levels. The level design is really clever, as one could expect from the dev, increpare. There is a 75% discount on the Steam store.

If you need an invite to the Steam group, ask over there.

Seems I was mistaken, nothing has changed. I'm alright without an invite, I'll get the holiday pack if it goes on sale or just wait until it releases.

As you wish. Edit: I have no key left.

Lain

I was hoping to see The Secret World on sale for more than 25% off on Steam before today, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Probably shouldn't have passed on the Amazon deal some weeks ago, but maybe it's for the better (I've already spent a lot).

NG28

Has xcom only been a daily deal? A friend wants to pick it up and missed all the other deals on it, so I'm assuming it will be a flash deal eventually unless it has been one already.

DagsJT

Was really quite tempted to get Endless Space as a kind of tutorial in getting my into 4x space games and then I'd move onto GalCiv 2. But it just seems a bit expensive considering there's a lot of criticism about AI and a lack of "depth" to the game.

Might wait for it to drop to less than £5 ... or force myself to just stick with GalCiv 2 and try to learn by playing.

baconcow

Yeah I know but he didn't want it until he saw me playing it today. He has a bunch of steam wallet money so he would like to buy it from steam. I was just wondering if its already been a flash deal or not.

I'm pretty sure it was $25 or ao the other day. Someone could confirm. Like most big names, it will likely be duplicated in this sale.

kami_sama

Does this not show up as 'owned' for anyone else that bought it? On the store page or cart, really bugs me for some reason

http://store.steampowered.com/app/99614/
Been having that problem for a very long time, it's normal.

And page 400! Is this the first time we had make a new thread?

Was really quite tempted to get Endless Space as a kind of tutorial in getting my into 4x space games and then I'd move onto GalCiv 2. But it just seems a bit expensive considering there's a lot of criticism about AI and a lack of "depth" to the game.

Might wait for it to drop to less than £5 ... or force myself to just stick with GalCiv 2 and try to learn by playing.
Payed the full price, didn't regret it a bit. it might have some problems, but it's still the most beautiful and straightforward 4x I've ever played.

dreamfall

REPEATS!

Picked up Psychonauts earlier in the sale, skipping on the rest. Hopefully the Daily deals will be more promising! Dead Space Please! Or Sam & Max!

baconcow

This winter has definitely been one of their worst sales

Agreed. Apart from the games that were not available in the summer, 99% of what I bought was available in the summer for the same price. But, then again, the summer had a ton of triplicate sales.

Please put up World in Conflict Complete and Silent Hunters III. These have never received 75% discounts and are old but have been on my wishlist forever... I'm stubborn!

cQ2W1.png

Looks like this is becoming the standard now.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
A-10C Warthog (duplicate, but amazing game)
What do you mean by this? I have been watching/reading so much about this since I decided to get a CH Fighterstick.

Payed the full price, didn't regret it a bit. it might have some problems, but it's still the most beautiful and straightforward 4x I've ever played.
That's what interests me about it. I have not been impressed by how the more complex elements in other games actually affect the gameplay. They always come off as glorified boardgames to me when I actually play them, so I'd much rather have something that straightforward. But if you're going to be like a board game, you may as well make it look fucking gorgeous since it's not actually a board game. And not just the battles, either. From what I have seen in videos, the UI is super slick and gives great feedback.

cicero

Agreed. Apart from the games that were not available in the summer, 99% of what I bought was available in the summer for the same price. But, then again, the summer had a ton of triplicate sales.

Please put up World in Conflict Complete and Silent Hunters III. These have never received 75% discounts and are old but have been on my wishlist forever... I'm stubborn!

THIS! I have been waiting for a World in Conflict sale for quite some time now.

baconcow

Is a-10c a hardcore sim? Always loved that plane but have limited sun experience

To my knowledge, A-10C ranks up with Falcon 4.0 as the most hardcore (if not) combat flight simulator on the market. There are arcade features within the game, but none of them turn it away from being an incredibly detailed simulator of the A-10C Warthog. On a enthusiast forum, a US pilot of the A-10C spoke of how close it was to the real thing. I have spent many hours ans still cannot take off properly.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
50% off of Bit.Trip Core? I'll pass, it's my least favorite game of the series, and I'm sure it'll appear in a future Humble Bundle.

Oh, and Shank 2 is actually pretty fun!

baconcow

What do you mean by this? I have been watching/reading so much about this since I decided to get a CH Fighterstick.

The game was on 75% off just a few days ago, on Steam. I have the Fighterstick and Pro Throttle. I have a little difficulty getting the Pro Throttle itself to work in A-10C, but I think it is due to the CH Products software not exactly being user friendly (despite what forum users might say). The game is incredible. But, you need quite a beefy computer to run it well. Doesn't hurt to have an SSD if you don't want to wait forever for loads.

With in-game images like this:
DCS_A-10C_Warthog2.jpg

and this:
air_425a_002_original.jpg

the game can be an awe-inspiring sight to behold... before crashing because your trim was 1 degree off.

Some people go nuts with their setups:
cockPit.jpg

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Cool thanks!
I couldn't get into Bioshock 1 and 2 when I played them on PS3, should I give them another try/chance? I'm not a big fan of FPS games, so how does the gameplay of these games work? fORGOT a lot about Bioshock 1 lol.
I played 2 or 3 hours of B1 a couple of months ago, and while I loved the atmosphere and writing, the gameplay totally ruined it for me. I don't feel like going back to it, even though I've been waiting to play it for 4 long years.

cicero

Wow... They literally just changed the price of Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit from $4.99 (75% off) to $9.99 (50% off) as I went from putting it in my cart to go check on a couple of other game. I came back and suddenly there was a price shift and a message from Steam. Is it just me? I didn't think the sale could get any worse, but they are really topping themselves here. This is pathetic and annoying.

dani_dc

Wow... They literally just changed the price of Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit from $4.99 (75% off) to $9.99 (50% off) as I went from putting it in my cart to go check on a couple of other game. I came back and suddenly there was a price shift and a message from Steam. Is it just me? I didn't think the sale could get any worse, but they are really topping themselves here. This is pathetic and annoying.

Not just you, the discounts of all NFS games in the flash sale just went down to 50% =\

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The game was on 75% off just a few days ago
Oh shit, it just went 75% off flash sale right now. I should be able to get to the bank before it ends (and study pre-flight procedures for a week or two before my fighterstick arrives, lol) Sweeeeet.

The game is incredible. But, you need quite a beefy computer to run it well.
I have a Radeon 5850, AMD Phenom II X4 955, and 8GB RAM. I think I'll be okay, though I may have to tune it down some.

Would it be okay to play with just the Fighterstick? Can you turn on individual aids so maybe it could take the edge off if things are a bit hairy with limited hardware?

That's not nuts, THIS IS NUTS

Echoplx

Hopefully it's just an error and will be fixed, if not lolea

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
cQ2W1.png

Looks like this is becoming the standard now.
And sadly people will still buy it without looking or thinking. Like the Bit.Trip pack, whose bundle costs 5 bucks more than buying the games separately.

EDIT: just realised that's where your pic is from, lol

Xanathus

I wonder if all these bundle pricing errors and uncompetitive sale prices are actually errors or are they Steam trying to see how far they can exploit their position in the DD market.

I wonder if all these bundle pricing errors and uncompetitive sale prices are actually errors or are they Steam trying to see how far they can exploit their position in the DD market.

They do have an economist at the helm now. I imagine if Steam started to significantly slip in the DD market, we'd see amazing fire sales.

tylerf

Mark of the Ninja looks so tempting. Gonna try and actually stick to a budget during a steam sale though. Willpower activate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom