• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

didamangi

Groupees Build a Greenlight Bundle next bonus is Fester Mudd: Curse of the Gold and Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards. Don't forget they also have La Mulana as a bonus earlier too. Since it's a minimum of 2 games for the bundle, I recommend Oozi and Wooden Sen'Sey if you like platformer games, both are solid fun games.

Anyway, who else browse the 2012 pc hi-res screenshot thread and get depressed at their shitty PC? xD And holy crap at these rage screenshots!

Sober

I have no idea what the new Most Wanted is (and I hate EA's naming scheme by the way), but the old Most Wanted had a storyline and it was you being a fugitive mostly. In Hot Pursuit, the roles are reversed and you play the cop doing the chasing (your goal is to pursue the racers and knock them out through force), and your car has some interesting gadgets that are pretty hilarious to use.

Spike strips of course, but also the ability to call down those annoying helicopters that would hassle you at the higher heat levels in Most Wanted, as well as those SUV roadblocks are at your disposal. Oh, and an EMP "missile" that's kind of like the spiked shells in Mario Kart.

The game does away with the storyline and you just get a map with unlockable events. The other key difference is that HP does not have car customization.
Most Wanted 2012 is pretty much Burnout Paradise with licensed cars, so you might have to subtract some of the fun/crazy events, at least from single player. There is some customization, but nothing visible except paint colour. Open world is open world except in a proper race, sprint or circuit, as there is a fairly defined path give or take shortcuts. No real story however.

Hot Pursuit is pretty fun until you reach the time trials for both racers and cops, which are annoying and totally anti-the whole point of the game. The game is also technically open world, as there is a freeroam option, but you are pretty much set on one path and you are kicked back out into the menu upon finishing a race or whatever. HP has the fun tools to use during pursuits though. MW2012 ambush events (outrun the cops) are tedious sometimes because all you have is your car and whatever you can improvise on the spot give or take some spots you can bug the AI out on.

Think I'll grab the first Shift, been meaning to try some more sim-based racers, see if I like it or not.

Ceebs

Real time > Turn based

I disagree with this statement 100%.

Turn based every time for me. More real time games should be turn based or at least have an active pause. I would love Dawn of War II so much more than I already do if it had an active pause.

Orcs must die 2 is pretty fun.

Shame there is no match making.

If you find a good partner hold on to your butt. I have over 60 hours clocked in co-op in that game.

ibuNG6j7ZQqWA7.png

Well, I'm weak, and it's a pretty shitty sale so I'll settle with double dipping on TW2 as my guilty pleasure...

What Steam skin is that my good man?

Megasoum

Banned
I already got Witcher 2 on Gog but I'm tempted to buy it on Steam anyway... 7.50 might still be a bit too much for a "vanity" buy tho.

TUSR

Banned
I disagree with this statement 100%.

Turn based every time for me. More real time games should be turn based or at least have an active pause. I would love Dawn of War II so much more than I already do if it had an active pause.

If you find a good partner hold on to your butt. I have over 60 hours clocked in co-op in that game.

Might buy the game for a friend and force her to play with me. Game is a lot of fun. I just gave it a 67 minute run solo and quit because I needed food.

If this game was on a console with 4 friends it would be a friggin' blast.

Stage On

I would classify those as "games you had in mind" :p

I was referring to games that you either aren't familiar with or had zero interest in prior to visiting this thread.

yeah, that makes sense. I only discovered some stuff because I've read every page of this thread after all.

It also helps to set some ground rules for yourself. It's been hard but I don't buy any one game that's over $10 or is discounted less then 75%.

And of course the another big rule for me, don't buy a game you usually wouldn't play just because it's cheap. Sure something might be $1 and that's a great deal but if it's not your style that's a buck that could have gone to something else.

Looks like I'll have to pass on Endless space and Sins of the stars for now :(

Baust

How do you get The Witcher to work with a 360 Controller? I've tried to play with it plugged in, but it doesn't seem to recognize it.

Ceebs

Might buy the game for a friend and force her to play with me. Game is a lot of fun. I just gave it a 67 minute run solo and quit because I needed food.

Only thing I would suggest would be to install Mumble and get a free server or something for when you play. The in game voice chat is terrible and you really need to talk to get things done.

TUSR

Banned
Only thing I would suggest would be to install Mumble and get a free server or something for when you play. The in game voice chat is terrible and you really need to talk to get things done.

Yeah we have a Mumble server to use.

is the GAF mumble server still alive?

Sarcasm

Hey TUSR...check PM.

hom3land

Watch Nikita instead :)

Before it gets canceled... Though no matter how bad it gets for ratings, it always gets renewed.

Does the Dirt series ever go on daily or flash sales? A racing game is the only genre i'm missing in my library, and I like 'em trucks.

Grabbed Hot Pursuit. With Driver, NFSHP, Blur and RR. I'm good on racers on the PC front for now. BTW, that Resonacne game is so good, I haven't played a click and point game in ages, best thing I got out of this Winter sale so far as a hidden gem for myself. 2.49$ felt like I was under paying for it. Going to gift this game to someone on my friends list, this game needs love.

Tizoc

A question about the Bundle for Spec Ops+Bioshock 1 and 2 on Amazon.com
I don't have Spec Ops in my region, so if I get this bundle can I still activate the game on Steam? Or does the Amazon.com bundle also come with a non DRM ver.?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How do you get The Witcher to work with a 360 Controller? I've tried to play with it plugged in, but it doesn't seem to recognize it.

The original doesn't support the X360 controller natively. You can use something like Xpadder or joy2key to get around this, but I'd wager the game is more suited towards the kb&m.

Haven't picked up a racing game in years. Thinking about getting a NFS game.

Which is more enjoyable Hot Pursuit or Shift 2? I typically prefer action-y arcade style racers, but I'm not completely closed to a more realistic experience, as long as it's still fun.

Megasoum

Banned
Haven't picked up a racing game in years. Thinking about getting a NFS game.

Which is more enjoyable Hot Pursuit or Shift 2? I typically prefer action-y arcade style racers, but I'm not completely closed to a more realistic experience, as long as it's still fun.

Hot Pursuit is definitly the more arcadey between the two but if you want a good arcadey racer, by Driver:SF! In my top 5 overall for 2011, really great game.

Rainy Dog

How does Hot Pursuit compare to Most Wanted? I know Most Wanted is Origin only, but I'm still curious.

Most Wanted is pretty much just an open world version of Hot Pursuit. Same developer, look, feel and mostly the same modes/events. I'd say they both stand together as just about my favourite arcade racers from this generation.

I only played HP on the PS3, but MW looks incredible on the PC. Needs to be tinkered with until you can lock it at 60fps though, as any dips are handled really jarringly by the engine. I'd pick up HP in this sale but I've bought nearly 60 games already so l'll leave it until it's even cheaper!

Megasoum

Banned
Is there a way to manually force steam into thinking a game is installed?

I have to deal with a small SSD drive and because the way Steam works right now, if I want to copy a backup of a game that I keep on my second HDD to the SSD I need to have double the free space available on the SSD. For example, if I want to install Witcher 2 which is 22gigs. I have the backed up folder on my second HDD, in theory, if I copy the files to my SSD and hit "Install" steam will find the files and won't download anything but steam is dumb and will actually check for the free space available before checking if the files are already there. So, after copying the files to my SSD I STILL need another 22gig free on the drive for Steam to start the "download" (which is actually just checking the files on the drive).

Wok

To satisfy people in a different timezone, I have created another little 8-hour give away.

English Country Tune is an abstract 3D puzzle game, which introduces a wide range of game mechanics in about 120 levels. The level design is really clever, as one could expect from the dev, increpare. There is a 75% discount on the Steam store.

If you need an invite to the Steam group, ask over there.

I'm just trying to buy Endless Space using my mobile phone but the Steam store is showing in dollars instead of pounds. As it turns out, the game is actually more expensive in dollars. Is there a way around this and to make the store show pounds as it should do?

In a browser, you should be able to click this link and change the region to UK

http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=uk

adding ?cc=XX, where XX is a region code changes the store to that region.

feel

A question about the Bundle for Spec Ops+Bioshock 1 and 2 on Amazon.com
I don't have Spec Ops in my region, so if I get this bundle can I still activate the game on Steam? Or does the Amazon.com bundle also come with a non DRM ver.?
Spec Ops is not available in my region and the $5 key I bought from amazon a few weeks ago activated just fine. The key from the bundle might be different but it's very unlikely.

Tizoc

Spec Ops is not available in my region and the $5 key I bought from amazon a few weeks ago activated just fine. The key from the bundle might be different but it's very unlikely.

Cool thanks!
I couldn't get into Bioshock 1 and 2 when I played them on PS3, should I give them another try/chance? I'm not a big fan of FPS games, so how does the gameplay of these games work? fORGOT a lot about Bioshock 1 lol.

EDIT: Any chance King's Bounty Legend and Crossworlds go for a flash sale for 75-85% (again)?

c0Zm1c

I have to deal with a small SSD drive and because the way Steam works right now, if I want to copy a backup of a game that I keep on my second HDD to the SSD I need to have double the free space available on the SSD. For example, if I want to install Witcher 2 which is 22gigs. I have the backed up folder on my second HDD, in theory, if I copy the files to my SSD and hit "Install" steam will find the files and won't download anything but steam is dumb and will actually check for the free space available before checking if the files are already there. So, after copying the files to my SSD I STILL need another 22gig free on the drive for Steam to start the "download" (which is actually just checking the files on the drive).

You could use Steam's backup/restore feature. It can pull the backed up files from the HDD to the SDD without you having to copy them into the Steam folder manually. That's how I've started doing it.

Just make a Symbolic link for the HDD folder to the SSD folder.
You also can try Steam Mover or Steam Tools, but a Symbolic link would work better in your case

Megasoum

Banned
Just make a Symbolic link for the HDD folder to the SSD folder.
You also can try Steam Mover or Steam Tools, but a Symbolic link would work better in your case

Hmm intersting. Didn't think about the symbolic link, I'll have to try that.

On a side note, could anybody tell me the exact name of the Witcher 2 folder in the Steam "custom" folder? I'm using the Gog installed files to fool steam into thinking I already have the game files but I need the exact name for that to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom