• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steel Diver |OT| an ocean that proves you should ignore reviews once and for all

I really like this game, it's very fun and unique, and unlike many reviews I love how the 3D effect works, makes it feel like your playing the game in an aquarium.

But there's one thing I *REALLY HATE* about it. That you can't see the final two levels of the campaign until you beat ALL of the other levels 3 times. That's just too much grinding - some levels I love to replay, but others I don't. I would naturally have eventually wanted to finish each level with all 3 subs, but forcing it before allowing me to see a full quarter of the campaign content is just BS (especially when they already have another unlock that happens once you've beaten all the levels with all 3 subs).

This is the main reason I don't play the game much - because every time I play it I pick it up and think "ugh, I *have* to do those levels all over again..."

jesusraz

Here's my review for Cubed3: Steel Diver, 7/10.

It may have started off as a mere technical demo on the Nintendo DS back in 2004, but Steel Diver has come a long way since its debut all those years ago and easily sits as one of the stronger Nintendo 3DS ‘launch window’ releases, offering an intriguing pastiche of side-scrolling action and shooting, mixed with other extras to keep players engaged. Unfortunately, though, as impressive as the in-game content may be, everything ends far too quickly, even with the extra missions to unlock, and means that the RRP of £39.99 is too steep.
Some have said I shouldn't mark it down for the lack of content compared to the RRP, but I don't see what's wrong with doing so. My review is full of praise, but I couldn't justify giving it higher than 7 due to the time it took to complete and move onto the next game on my list.

game is out in japan today!

i dig it so far, it's pretty much what i expected (apart from the 3D boxart, woah). i think i'll feel the same way about "lack of content" as i did with pilotwings; i.e. mastering the controls and levels should be its own reward.

eXistor

I've been playing it since about a week and if I had to score the game I couldn't give it higher than a 7 either. What there is is pretty damn awesome, but as stated many many times before: there isn't close to enough of it. The strategy game..uhh thing isn't worth anyone's time and the periscope mini game is fun, but it's just that: a mini game.

I wish this was more of underwater exploration/ treasure hunting game. The few maps there are are great, but there's nothing really to see or explore and you don't have any incentive to shoot down enemy subs or whatever, your goal is always "get to the finish as fast as you can". It;s a shame because I love the ay the game looks and controls and the few missions there are a very fun to play. A 7 might actually be stretching it, but I still recommend the game if you feel you might enjoy it. Try to find it as cheap as possible though, so you won't feel ripped off.

345triangle said:

i dig it so far, it's pretty much what i expected (apart from the 3D boxart, woah). i think i'll feel the same way about "lack of content" as i did with pilotwings; i.e. mastering the controls and levels should be its own reward.

I dunno, I didn't feel Pilotwings had a lack of content myself (it helps that I didn't play Wii Sports Resort much), this initially has 5 missions that you can finish in a few minutes...that's it. That's the game. You can redo the missions with the 2 other subs, which I feel don't control very differently at all. After doing that you unlocl mission 6 and after that mission 7. That is the whole game. That is a lack of content if I ever saw it.

Sure, you'll fail missions sometimes, you might even be compelled to go for a better time (I never was), but it's still one of the shortest game in recent memory. And I'm usually not one for complaining about such things.

Effect

eXistor said:
I dunno, I didn't feel Pilotwings had a lack of content myself (it helps that I didn't play Wii Sports Resort much), this initially has 5 missions that you can finish in a few minutes...that's it. That's the game. You can redo the missions with the 2 other subs, which I feel don't control very differently at all. After doing that you unlocl mission 6 and after that mission 7. That is the whole game. That is a lack of content if I ever saw it.

Sure, you'll fail missions sometimes, you might even be compelled to go for a better time (I never was), but it's still one of the shortest game in recent memory. And I'm usually not one for complaining about such things.

Sure that's the entire game if you completely ignore the entire Steel Commander mode. If you completely ignore the entire Time Trial and Periscope modes. The primary "story mode" might be short but the game doesn't lack content overall as some are trying to push. I will never understand how people are seeing the game that way unless they are purposefully ignoring aspects of the game that they might not like or care for.

I picked up Steel Diver along with Pilotwings Resort shortly after launch. Couldn't be happier with Steel Diver. It's alot of fun and should be concidered. Glad Nintendo finally released it. I was afriad we'd never see it again after the DS tech-demo.

sasimirobot

345triangle said:

COOL! I can finally pick this up. Looking forward to it after reading the "Iwata Asks".

Diggin' Steel Diver. Finished the first four missions on all sub types.

Mission #5 is brutal.

Definitely needed at least 16 missions though, to match, say, the "bare essentials" of your standard Mario Kart title (retro courses notwithstanding). Can't see how it would have taken much longer to model up an extra 9 courses -- they're pretty 'shallow' for lack of a better word.

Periscope Strike is a blast!

Can't wait to give the "Battleship" download play mode a try!

Yuterald

Finally got 100% in Steel Diver. All Gold Medals earned in Normal, Expert, & Time Trial Missions. I made a small video on my youtube channel to tribute my success! Here's the link!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qf3IuEa97Q

After 53 hours I finally got 100% in the game! Some of those Expert Gold Medals were really tough. I may do a few videos showcasing some of the harder Gold Ghosts in the future. For now though I am SPENT with this game.

Good luck to those looking to get everything out of the game. It definitely takes a great deal of patience and mental fortitude, lol!

sasimirobot

Got this yesterday.

This is the most beautiful game I have ever seen! The 3D really adds to the whole effect (fish tank?) and I am surprised more people don't comment on how great this game looks.

The box art is 3D and gorgeous also.
I can see this being a title that will be very very overlooked and under-rated because...

Boney said:
So how's the game, anybody recommend it?

Can trade it in for my RR no money involved.

Worth playing. Definitely unique. The controls are a lot of fun, and the subs provide some variety. The levels that exist can get pretty creative.

The game is hurting for more, diverse content though. The meat of the game is Mission mode, and there's a lot of repetition to unlock all the missions. I gave it about ten hours, and, even though I unlocked Expert Mode, I just didn't feel like playing through much of it because I had already played through that.

Time trials are nice. But if you want to compete with others, you have to grind more repetition to get the best "decals" which provide boosts to your sub.

Boney

Banned
Freezie KO said:
Worth playing. Definitely unique. The controls are a lot of fun, and the subs provide some variety. The levels that exist can get pretty creative.

The game is hurting for more, diverse content though. The meat of the game is Mission mode, and there's a lot of repetition to unlock all the missions. I gave it about ten hours, and, even though I unlocked Expert Mode, I just didn't feel like playing through much of it because I had already played through that.

Time trials are nice. But if you want to compete with others, you have to grind more repetition to get the best "decals" which provide boosts to your sub.
Cool, I think I'm gonna go for it. It's not a big loss anyway.

olimpia84

I fired this up today (got it from Best Buy deals for $5) and I'm loving it even though I only played the first two missions :p

This is a great example of a handheld game: excellent for short gaming bursts

Wow Steel Diver really nailed the fun gameplay factor. Back before the 3DS launched when they showed some videos of this game I knew it would be one that would hook me. Its like Hunt for Red October (NES) distilled down into timed runs (sort of).

I got a 3DS for Christmas and I'm so glad I ignored the reviews on this title and gave it a chance. While I do agree its short on content the gameplay is fantastic.

Tom_Cody

I picked up a discounted copy over the holidays but I'm only now getting to it. What a great, charming game. Really addictive.

Tom_Cody

Boy is this game addictive. And humbling.

I've probably put in about 10 hours so far and I have finally gotten my first couple silver medals. I just tried to compete against a gold staff ghost and it appears to be using a speed boosting decal. Is this consistent throughout the game, that the bronze and silver staff ghosts are decal-less and the gold ghosts are decal-equipped?

I still don't have any speed assisting decals, so it seems that I will be putting my gold medal pursuits on hold for now.

jgkspsx

Why did they have to require motion for the end-of-level bonus rounds? I don't want to do that. That's the main reason I stopped playing.

Tom_Cody

Why did they have to require motion for the end-of-level bonus rounds? I don't want to do that. That's the main reason I stopped playing.
You can also control rotation with the slide on the bottom screen. I've only used the motion controls once.

Any advice for the level 5 boss? I've beaten everything up to that point with all crafts and I have bronze and silver medals on most of the levels (non decal aided) and yet I can only beat it with the Manatee and its vertical torpedo. Is it just as hard as it seems or am I missing something. Also, this makes me seriously skeptical of those reviews who said they breezed through this in a matter of hours.

I am still in love with this game. It is so addictive.

Boney

Banned
You can also control rotation with the slide on the bottom screen. I've only used the motion controls once.

Any advice for the level 5 boss? I've beaten everything up to that point with all crafts and I have bronze and silver medals on most of the levels (non decal aided) and yet I can only beat it with the Manatee and its vertical torpedo. Is it just as hard as it seems or am I missing something. Also, this makes me seriously skeptical of those reviews who said they breezed through this in a matter of hours.

I am still in love with this game. It is so addictive.
yeah lvl 5 boss gave me tons of troubles as well with the other 2 dudes. Haven't beat him still.

olimpia84

How do the decals work? In some of them you see the description of the aid you get from them and then something like "x5". Does that mean you need 5 of that same decal for the effect to work or does it just indicate the limit of how many you can stack for a greater effect?

Tom_Cody

How do the decals work? In some of them you see the description of the aid you get from them and then something like "x5". Does that mean you need 5 of that same decal for the effect to work or does it just indicate the limit of how many you can stack for a greater effect?
Yeah, that means you need 5 of them.

You end up getting decals pretty organically. These levels are meant to be played and replayed in order to 1) achieve medals 2) just get better so you can advance in the game.

I am sort of at a roadblock trying to win a few specific medals and beat level 5- slowly but surely I'm getting better, though it is nice that the decals are there to give some sort of tangible reward for the work I'm putting in.

olimpia84

Yeah, that means you need 5 of them.

You end up getting decals pretty organically. These levels are meant to be played and replayed in order to 1) achieve medals 2) just get better so you can advance in the game.

I am sort of at a roadblock trying to win a few specific medals and beat level 5- slowly but surely I'm getting better, though it is nice that the decals are there to give some sort of tangible reward for the work I'm putting in.

So far I have a lot of decals but I don't think I have a full set. The thing is there are so many of them that it's hard to get a full set and the mini game where you get them after you beat a level is short so you only get two or three at the most. Anyways, I need to go back to this game and unlock the last two missions.

Tom_Cody

So far I have a lot of decals but I don't think I have a full set. The thing is there are so many of them that it's hard to get a full set and the mini game where you get them after you beat a level is short so you only get two or three at the most. Anyways, I need to go back to this game and unlock the last two missions.
I don't think the decals are meant to be a primary part of the game, I think they are just there to help justify replaying the same levels over and over again.

To be clear, you can get exactly 4 per level and you kind of suck (once you've gotten some practice) if you can't get all of them in the allotted time. Also, one of the decals actually extends the time limit for the bonus game.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I just had the urge to play this again!

It really is an underrated title. But, looking back, I really wish this was saved for the E-Shop. I have no idea how this did sales-wise (anybody care to fill us in on that?) but I'm sure it would of moved a lot more copies and been overall better received on the E-Shop.

Also, my argument with Amir0x in this thread seems a bit silly now, from both sides, but more from mine. I guess at the time I wasn't 100% thinking rationally, and I apologize for that.

Anyways, A Steel Driver 2 on E-Shop would be more then welcomed by me!

Top Bottom