• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stereogum Ranks The Top 50 Albums of 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Couleurs

Carly Rae Jepsen?

Credibility lost.

Have you listened to the Emotion album? If not, give it a shot, she's way better than people give her credit for (don't judge it from I Really Like You being the main radio song, it's probably the weakest song on the album).

Unless you hate 80s inspired music then you probably won't like it

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Just saw that. LOL.

It's a shame I haven't seen Mutant on one list so far. Oh well, I don't know what I expected.
Maybe it's too new to make these lists, heh. I really like it as well.

big ander

huh nobody's even givin Low a courtesy nod are they? not unexpected as that's the usual, not like 22 years into existence they'll suddenly start being rightfully recognized as one of the greatest bands of the past few decades

Think for me the most boring stuff showing up on lists so far are Neon Indian, Viet Cong and FJM. all unavoidable though

faridmon

While I have a different list to the ones posted, Alot of those albums are very well liked in the Indie/Alt thread and people there seem to enjoy them.

I have a weird taste anyway

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
huh nobody's even givin Low a courtesy nod are they? not unexpected as that's the usual, not like 22 years into existence they'll suddenly start being rightfully recognized as one of the greatest bands of the past few decades

Think for me the most boring stuff showing up on lists so far are Neon Indian, Viet Cong and FJM. all unavoidable though
Have you listened to the Julien Baker album on there? It sounds a lot like older Low. It's really, really, really great. Top 3 for me.

Happy to see I Want to Grow Up in the top 10. Sad that Chastity Belt didn't make the top 50, that's the biggest omission for me.

Not

Banned
And here are the top 10:

Beneath this spoiler
Beneath this spoiler
Beneath this spoiler
Beneath this spoiler
Beneath this spoiler
Beneath this spoiler
Beneath this spoiler
Beneath this spoiler
Beneath this spoiler
Beneath this spoiler

1: Grimes – Art Angels
2: Kendrick Lamar – To Pimp A Butterfly
3: Carly Rae Jepsen – E•MO•TION
4: Vince Staples – Summertime ’06
5: Sufjan Stevens – Carrie & Lowell
6: Courtney Barnett – Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit
7: Hop Along – Painted Shut
8: Colleen Green – I Want To Grow Up
9: Jim O’Rourke – Simple Songs
10: Deafheaven – New Bermuda

I would have put Sufjan at #1 myself.

Holy shit. I agree with the top 3.

I actually agree with the top 3 on a music list. Exactly, in that order.

What is happening to me.

And with that Stereogum solidifies its place as the Pepsi to Pitchfork's Coke. Both in that the former is the lesser version of the latter, and in that both are pushing shit that is nauseatingly sweet.

thebeeks

Banned
Fuck yeah Emotion!

Have you listened to the Emotion album? If not, give it a shot, she's way better than people give her credit for (don't judge it from I Really Like You being the main radio song, it's probably the weakest song on the album).

Unless you hate 80s inspired music then you probably won't like it

I never listen to the radio, is I Really Like You really the big single? I hope Making the Most of the Night gets more love.

big ander

Have you listened to the Julien Baker album on there? It sounds a lot like older Low. It's really, really, really great. Top 3 for me.

Happy to see I Want to Grow Up in the top 10. Sad that Chastity Belt didn't make the top 50, that's the biggest omission for me.

I haven't yet but that moves it up my list! feel like that one came out of absolutely nowhere.
And with that Stereogum solidifies its place as the Pepsi to Pitchfork's Coke. Both in that the former is the lesser version of the latter, and in that both are pushing shit that is nauseatingly sweet.
hahah

LionPride

Banned
I'm just happy Kendrick was number 2, Rolling Stones had TPAB at number 1. That album is my shit. PopGaf almost has me listening to this Jepson album, I hated Call Me Maybe but if she's actually good I'll be happy

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm listening to Emotion right now and wtf this is such a turnaround from Call Me Maybe

dope album so far

edit: list is pretty good too. i'd put Every Open Eye higher but then again, I haven't heard every album on the list. Art Angels deserves the high spot

Not

Banned
I'm just happy Kendrick was number 2, Rolling Stones had TPAB at number 1. That album is my shit. PopGaf almost has me listening to this Jepson album, I hated Call Me Maybe but if she's actually good I'll be happy

It's an album that still hasn't gotten old for me. It's like some of the best pop out there and I have no idea how CRJ of all people (and her billions of collaborators I guess) pulled it off

If any of you want a good laugh, check out Complex's top 50.

For those who don't want to click, here are the top 10:

1. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
2. Future - DS2
3. Rae Sremmurd - Sremmlife
4. Adele - 25
5. Justin Bieber a.k.a. Bugatti Biebz - Purpose
6. Big Sean a.k.a. the Sean Don - Dark Sky Paradise
7. A$AP Rocky - At.Long.Last.A$AP
8. Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear
9. Drizzy Drake - If You're Reading This, It's Too Late
10. The Internet - Ego Death

Particularly egregious ranks include Neon Indian going below the Biebz, fucking "MY MIDDLE NAME IS MEDIOCRE" BIG SEAN, and Rocky, In Colour being below The Documentary 2, Courtney Barnett below the Weeknd's sellout record, DS2 above Carrie & Lowell, Rodeo and MMM above Vulnicura, and both Fifth Harmony and Fetty Wap getting a mention on this list.

King Kendrick at #2 and Queen Carly at #3.

Seriously though, I agree with this list, at least at the top. And anyone still thinking of CRJ as "the Call Me Maybe girl" really needs to hear Emotion. As complete and consistently great a pop album as I've heard in a while.

MrSerrels

Seriously though, I agree with this list, at least at the top. And anyone still thinking of CRJ as "the Call Me Maybe girl" really needs to hear Emotion. As complete and consistently great a pop album as I've heard in a while.

Yeah agree. It's some 80s Madonna shit. I love it.

ZvwRpVo.jpg

see5harp

I don't get why it's crazy that Grimes is in the top 10. I think the album is good, if not great. George Clanton is the real sleeper of the year. Once I saw that posted on Gorilla vs. Bear I've been listening to it non-stop.

T.O.P

Banned
What do you mean by "legit"? Both those songs are great. Mid-tier for Carly though.

As i said, never heard anything more than those two 2 songs (Really like you sucked tbh) that pretty much were played 24/7 for a month and then never heard of her ever again, that's why i was surprised she made top 3

She's actually "legit" now that i got to listen to the album

New Bermuda is really good but I am super curious how it (and Sunbather before it) managed to gain so much momentum outside of the metal scene.

Soma

hmmm

i mean i liked art angels and all but i dunno about it being #1...

also shame that the new chelsea wolfe didn't make the list

Partition

Banned
It's not that complex. It's rather straightforward, really. If anything her previous works require more nuanced listening.

I really really disagree but hey. There's more to love with Art Angels compared to Visions - which was very good once you finished with nuanced listens, but still lacked the heart and substance the several Art Angels standouts have. Critics seem to agree.

If anything people blowing off Art Angels as some accessible pop album are missing the point and not giving it enough attention that it's worth.

Chuckie

Wow... I know like 6 artists in the entire Top 50.... and haven't listened to any of the albums.

I am SO out of touch with music these days.

yeah I know that is my own fault

I really really disagree but hey. There's more to love with Art Angels compared to Visions; which was very good once you finished with nuanced listens, but lacked the heart and substance the Art Angels standouts have. Critics seem to agree.

eh, it's a love it or leave it album. I don't see too many in between opinions. And I'm not saying it's "just a pop album".

Dead

well not really...yet
Can't disagree with number 1

Can't even count how many times I've listened to Art Angels, and it's constantly in rotation in my car as well.

Servbot24

Banned

Kiss is a great album too.

Steamlord

Julia Holter at 50? Please. It's cool that Jenny Hval, Colleen Green, Courtney Barnett, and Hop Along made the top 20 though, and that Natalie Prass and Julien Baker made the list. Sprained Ankle kinda came out of nowhere and took me by surprise.

However, there is a distinct lack of Mount Eerie, Braids, Chelsea Wolfe, Colin Stetson & Sarah Neufeld, Enablers, Pinkshinyultrablast, Holly Herndon, Low, Laurel Halo... Also they got the wrong Beach House album.

I've only seen Mount Eerie's Sauna on one list (in the 40s). Got totally overlooked but its probably the best thing Phil Elvirum has done in the past decade.

Agreed. I'd go so far as to say it's his best work under the Mount Eerie name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom