• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stick it to the man |OT| My mind has a hand of its own

V_Ben

Banned
Just finished the third chapter!
Really enjoying it so far. Very original. Quirky fun. Good humour too...
Have to say the voice acting is superb (as expected). I'll try and get some more chapters done tomorrow.

Great addition to the Vita library.

Yay, glad you're enjoying it! Yeah, super proud of the great work the Voice Actors did :D

I ended up playing it again on the Vita (separate trophy lists!) and got none of the buggy problems that hindered my playing experience on the PS3, so that was good.

Skyzard

Banned
Just picked this up yesterday and I love the style and humour, artwork and music is great so far too. I'm playing it on Vita and I'm glad there is a touchscreen... it helps a lot with the aiming system, perhaps I haven't quite adapted to it, but it's a lot easier with the screen.

Just one thing is that when it's zoomed out the characters looked slightly blurry - some more than others and I end up putting the Vita close to my face to make out all the nice small details, bit of a shame. It is great to look at overall but if it's something that can be tweaked of course that would be great.

Can't wait to get back to it regardless, great intro so far! Only up to about chapter 3 or 4 and hope it stays this good or gets even better for the rest as it's quality.

Left trigger mode zooms in a bit which can help. Really enjoying it though, it's keeping me away from Spelunky!

Has a sort of wonderful, theatrical atmosphere.

Mechazawa

So, I found out about this through Unprofessional Fridays and it looks great. The "high five me" gag got a legit hearty chuckle from me.

Looking forward to picking it up from Steam down the road. It's too bad this kind of went under the radar.

V_Ben

Banned
So, I found out about this through Unprofessional Fridays and it looks great. The "high five me" gag got a legit hearty chuckle from me.

Looking forward to picking it up from Steam down the road. It's too bad this kind of went under the radar.

Through... Unprofessional Fridays? WAIT. Did Giant Bomb cover it then? :O

Edit: oh maaaaan yay! :D

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION

Heh, they looked kind of bored tbh, but I've never seen Unprofessional Fridays before so maybe that's normal. Too bad they didn't play beyond ch 3 though, missing out on all that good stuff. :p

EDIT: Actually, Vinny continued playing the game, talks about it around 51:30 in the latest Bombcast: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=732592
Said not to expect very deep gameplay, but seemed to like the world, scenarios, dialogue and characters.

V_Ben

Banned
Heh, they looked kind of bored tbh, but I've never seen Unprofessional Fridays before so maybe that's normal. Too bad they didn't play beyond ch 3 though, missing out on all that good stuff. :p

EDIT: Actually, Vinny continued playing the game, talks about it around 51:30 in the latest Bombcast: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=732592
Said not to expect very deep gameplay, but seemed to like the world, scenarios, dialogue and characters.

Awesome that he kept playing it, can always count on Vinny to find weird stuff. :D

freemantim

Neo Member
I fired it up on Vita this weekend just to get a sample of what the differences were between PS3 and the handheld. Next thing I know I'm two hours deep sucked right back in. The game is a definite treat on Vita.

Lijik

Bought it tonight and now Im partially through chapter 4. Cant believe Just Dropping In is the title music, thought that song perfectly set the tone in the trailer but never expected it to be in the game. Loving the art, characters, and music. Eddie and his Silver Surfer (for the NES!) obsession is my favorite bit so far

Lately on Gaf I keep seeing this sentiment of "REAL" (i.e. quirky cartoony platformy) games dying off in the PS1 era but with I've been playing the past few weeks between this, Puppeteer, the PS3 Ratchets (catching up!), Sly 4, Tearaway, Contrast, Mario 3D World hell even Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures, Sonic Lost World and the new Skylanders I cant disagree more. This has been a solid year for platforming fans imo

V_Ben

Banned
Bought it tonight and now Im partially through chapter 4. Cant believe Just Dropping In is the title music, thought that song perfectly set the tone in the trailer but never expected it to be in the game. Loving the art, characters, and music. Eddie and his Silver Surfer (for the NES!) obsession is my favorite bit so far

Lately on Gaf I keep seeing this sentiment of "REAL" (i.e. quirky cartoony platformy) games dying off in the PS1 era but with I've been playing the past few weeks between this, Puppeteer, the PS3 Ratchets (catching up!), Sly 4, Tearaway, Contrast, Mario 3D World hell even Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures, Sonic Lost World and the new Skylanders I cant disagree more. This has been a solid year for platforming fans imo

Glad you're enjoying it :D Yeah, that song does a super job of getting the tone feeling right, doesn't it :)

wouwie

Oh, i didn't realise that the title song was a popular commercial song. I thought it was composed for the game. It's a perfect match for this game though. Goes great with that awesome looking menu too.

Out of curiosity, i tried the Vita version and it looks to be a very solid port. The controls do work better on it than on console. However, the gorgeous visuals really do shine on a big screen or television.

Eurogamer reviewed the game and gave it a 7/10 but the review was mostly positive.

With a touch more refinement in its platforming and less zeal in its agent-based aggression, Stick it to the Man could have staked a claim as one of the most essential games of the year. Still, it's a great example of how far 'indie' gaming has come; a point-and-click comeback that's as smart as its forebears and a real pink-handed slap in the face of a few contemporaries.

Edit: I hope it does well on Steam. Game deserves more sales and i wouldn't mind anotehr game in the same vein (adventure/puzzle/platform).

V_Ben

Banned
Hey guys, if you're unaware of how much the game will be on Steam... we're going to be offering a 1 week launch discount of 40%!

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/206986/STICK_IT_TO_THE_MAN_OUT_TODAY_ON_STEAM.php

Stick It To The Man will be available to download from Steam on Friday 13 th December 2013 (unlucky for some) at 11:00am PST. The game will be priced at £11.99 / €13.99 / $14.99 with a 40% launch discount for one week only! The Steam version of the game features Trading Cards & Achievements. Grab the game here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/251830/

I know, I know, we're crazy.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Hey guys, if you're unaware of how much the game will be on Steam... we're going to be offering a 1 week launch discount of 40%!

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/206986/STICK_IT_TO_THE_MAN_OUT_TODAY_ON_STEAM.php

I know, I know, we're crazy.

Aggressive pricing, surprisingly so! Can't recall a game ever being sold with such a discount from day one on Steam (although it seems more common than I thought looking through upcoming Steam releases just now). A good thing though, makes people more willing to impulse buy the game and spread the word if they end up liking it! I can imagine some people being on the fence since the concept and gameplay isn't totally obvious at first glance. Would've been nice with a demo for the game actually, especially on PSN.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
This came out and I heard nothing about it. That's sad.

Yeah, it kind of fell under the radar, even though it got good reviews. I've read several comments similar to yours in various blogs. Hopefully people will start to discover the game as time passes.

I did notice it was actually picked as the second best indie game of 2013 (behind Stanley Parable) over at IGN, hopefully that helps to bring more attention to the game.

ViviOggi

Being the peasant I am I just found out about this through TB and have to wonder why they'd have such an unusually high preorder discount but didn't bother including it in the holiday sale at all, that would have been a great way to pick up some traction.

Bought it at regular price anyway and I'm really liking what I've played so far.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
In case some people missed it, Stick it to the Man is currently on sale for PS3 & Vita (cross-buy) on the EU Playstation Store for £3.99/€4.93 (with an additional 10 % off for PS Plus members).

In case some people missed it, Stick it to the Man is currently on sale for PS3 & Vita (cross-buy) on the EU Playstation Store for £3.99/€4.93 (with an additional 10 % off for PS Plus members).

Matter of fact, i just bought it. Looks awesome, hopefully i will get around to trying it soon :)

Might be a good idea to note in the OP that it's not YOPO, the PS4 version does not entitle you to the PS3 or Vita versions of the game.

Cross-buy is only between PS3 and Vita.

Audioboxer

Can anyone else confirm if they only get stereo audio with the game on the PS4? Just part of my ongoing troubleshooting/issues with 5.1 audio on PS4. Quite a few games do not use the center channel, trying to find out if it's by choice or not.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

also free on PS4 with a PS+ subscription right now in Europe

I am really enjoying this game (being part of PS plus and all).

It has a lot of charm that most games lack these days, anyone else surprised by it?

Really enjoying this. The art style is absolutely spot on. They got the look down to a tee. It's rather quirky and fun. Best PS+ PS4 game for a while.

homez99

I am really enjoying this game (being part of PS plus and all).

It has a lot of charm that most games lack these days, anyone else surprised by it?

Absolutely, I'm up late on a work night because I just had to finish chapter 7 before bed. Finding the experience very enjoyable, which is probably down to the excellent presentation. The puzzles aren't very difficult though, but some can make you stop and question what you're doing a fair bit due to the level design throwing a few small curveballs in places.

jholmes

This game is one of two games I got for Wii U today that has the generic Wii U bootup music, which drives me crazy. Makes the game feel cheap.

That aside this game is really something on Wii U. I wish I could put it more eloquently than that, but "really something" just sorta sums it up.

Certinty

Was going to buy this for the PS3/Vita but completely forgot about it. Anyway got the PS4 version with PS+ and am loving it, story is crazy, voice acting is great and most importantly it's fun. Just started the 7th chapter and will no doubt finish it soon, might just be the best PS4 PS+ title we've got as of yet.

jholmes

Glad to see more people discovering and enjoying the game =)

It just came out on Wii U this afternoon so the thread should pick up this weekend.

Then again, it was just released on PS+ for free, so I maybe we won't see a whole lot of people chipping in $10 for this.

Was going to buy this for the PS3/Vita but completely forgot about it. Anyway got the PS4 version with PS+ and am loving it, story is crazy, voice acting is great and most importantly it's fun. Just started the 7th chapter and will no doubt finish it soon, might just be the best PS4 PS+ title we've got as of yet.

How did you get the PS4 version so soon?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So, if I can't play it with a mouse on my HTPC, should I go with the WiiU version?
Does the game make good use of the gamepad/Wii Remote at all, and is it 1080p?

jholmes

So, if I can't play it with a mouse on my HTPC, should I go with the WiiU version?
Does the game make good use of the gamepad/Wii Remote at all, and is it 1080p?

Not sure on 1080p, it looks really good though.

And yes, it makes really cool use of the GamePad. When you want to read someone's mind, you point the controller at the TV (or more accurately, you just tilt it up a bit) and the mind-reading mode appears on the screen. You move the pad a little left or right to read a person's thoughts (sorta like Lego City Undercover, if you played that) and the sound comes out of the GamePad's speakers. I think it's a real nice touch. Otherwise the pad displays the map, which is nice to have.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Not sure on 1080p, it looks really good though.

And yes, it makes really cool use of the GamePad. When you want to read someone's mind, you point the controller at the TV (or more accurately, you just tilt it up a bit) and the mind-reading mode appears on the screen. You move the pad a little left or right to read a person's thoughts (sorta like Lego City Undercover, if you played that) and the sound comes out of the GamePad's speakers. I think it's a real nice touch. Otherwise the pad displays the map, which is nice to have.

Thanks a bunch for the impressions mate!

Finished it earlier and just got 100% trophies. Really enjoyed my time with it. It's not the longest game ever but it's still a decent size that doesn't outstay its welcome. Last level was pretty cool too, like most of them. Only thing I didn't really like and sometimes it became a little annoying was trying to avoid the guards.

I'm glad it came to PS+ because otherwise I probably would never have played/bought it. Cool game with a fantastic art style. Thought it was nice touch where the voices played through the controller mic when you read people's minds.

Played a few hours last night and really enjoyed this. Reminds me of Little Big Planet with the way you move and the stickers. The voice acting's great and I really like the design of the levels.

Far better than last month's PS+ PS4 offering. For me at least.

Top Bottom