• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stick it to the man |OT| My mind has a hand of its own

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Surprised how overlooked this game is on GAF. Just started playing it last night and I'm loving it, mostly because of the 90's Nickelodeon feel it has. The writing and voice acting are top-notch.

Probably my favorite PS4 PS+ freebie this year, so far.

Well, I think a lot of people overlooked it back when it was first released, because it came out for PS3 and Vita around the time when PS4 and Xbox One launched, and got buried under all that hype. And I guess there are PS Plus subscribers who simply add the PS4 version to their downloads just to "keep" it, playing it much later (if at all). I think more and more people will give the game a go as the words spreads though.

PusherT

Any Wii U gameplay impressions? It looks like one of the better Eshop titles and its by Ripstone plublishing who did that Chess game and Kynitt Underground. This game looks good may get it next week.

Jaroof

I'm on Chapter 6.
This game is hilarious.
The
imaginary bunny friend
was one of the funniest things I've seen. So funny that I uploaded a clip of it to my YouTube account.

Clocked the PS4 version the other night. Fantastic game. Loved everything but the wonky controls during the action sequences, controls are too basic for my liking when you are trying to grab pins/sticker slap.

Had a really weird glitch where a dude dreamed up a sleep sticker on the second last action stage but stopped doing it after the second time so I ended up wasting a ton of time trying to get him to do it again before giving up and using the decoy sticker route.

But yeah, games radiates happy feelings. Voice acting and dialogue was Lucasarts tier deliciousness. I'll likely buy their next game Day One it was so enjoyable.

OneUh8

Well, I think a lot of people overlooked it back when it was first released, because it came out for PS3 and Vita around the time when PS4 and Xbox One launched, and got buried under all that hype. And I guess there are PS Plus subscribers who simply add the PS4 version to their downloads just to "keep" it, playing it much later (if at all). I think more and more people will give the game a go as the words spreads though.

Yeah I am waiting to finish child of light before I play this. been so busy I have not had solid time to play. Hopefully I can get to it before transistor and watch dogs release.

ron_bato

Surprised how overlooked this game is on GAF. Just started playing it last night and I'm loving it, mostly because of the 90's Nickelodeon feel it has. The writing and voice acting are top-notch.

Probably my favorite PS4 PS+ freebie this year, so far.

I was playing this the other day and thought of the exact same thing. The characters, art style, writing and voice acting all gave me a 90s nickelodeon feel to it. I'm up to Chapter 4 I think and i dig it. Resogun is my favorite PS+ freebie, then outlast, but this is a close 3rd, up there with Don't Starve. Really fun game.

69wpm

Any Wii U gameplay impressions? It looks like one of the better Eshop titles and its by Ripstone plublishing who did that Chess game and Kynitt Underground. This game looks good may get it next week.

Finished the game a few hours ago, very recommended. I didn't use any Wii U specific functions, but the game is great nonetheless. The humour, cool characters, great art style and wonderful music make this a must have for me. I did encounter one bug during my playthrough, I posted about it on Miiverse.

jholmes

You can use the GamePad to read minds, which is kinda cool. You tilt it up toward the TV and move it until you centre on a brain to read, and you hear the dialogue coming out of the controller's speakers. Nice touch, although it's just the tiniest bit buggy. Other than that it's the same game as you'd get on any other platform, just with off-TV and Miiverse. (It has the default Wii U boot-up music, which is generally not a sign of quality, but it really is top notch.) If it seems like you'd like it, I'd definitely get it. Short but really something special.

To my PS4 brethren that got this via PS+ but haven't touched it yet: do yourself a favor and fire it up. Great voice acting and hysterical writing. If you enjoy the humor in Double Fine or old LucasArts games, you'll feel right at home.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Game is the closest to Leisure Suit Larry any game has ever got, and that's quite a feat in my book. Highly recommended!

Footos22

Great game. Finished it on vita and ps4. But it's insanely short. Easy trophies though. Didn't even look at the list and I had all of them.

Yeah I played the game this last week not expecting much and just looking for something to play. The art style and animation is quirky and lovable. The gameplay is simplistic enough but that's not where it shines: it shines in the humor. The fantastic humor and charisma the game has in its writing and voice acting. I seriously thought I was playing a Double Fine game.

The first time I heard "high five me man! You may think you have experienced high fives before, but you truly haven't until you high five me!"

I beat it. It's not a terribly long game. Honestly the game's biggest fault is probably that it's basically a point and click adventure game, those don't tend to be terribly popular. The game itself gets a 7/10 from me, but with the humor it gets an 8/10.

Played through this game in a couple days after the PS+ release. Gameplay was alright but the writing was fantastic. I got the 90's cartoon feel for sure. Looking forward to their next release.

ced

Yet another game ruined by a gimmick.

I can't hear shit out of the DS4 speaker, no option to output the mind reading to the TV is BS.

Reminds me so much of Pychonauts.

Traffcore

Finished it a couple days ago and I really liked it.

The game needs alot more attention though. It seems overlooked even though it is a free game with PS+.

Those who are on the fence - give it a shot! It will stick with you! :)

Yet another game ruined by a gimmick.

I can't hear shit out of the DS4 speaker, no option to output the mind reading to the TV is BS.

Reminds me so much of Pychonauts.

Yeah, that bugged me initially. The only real workaround here is outputting the audio to your headphones of choice (which all PS4 owners have since one is packed in) which is disappointing. Particularly baffling since most of the awesome dialogue comes from reading the minds and thus out of that tiny speaker. It would be nice if Zoink! would patch in some kind of switch for the speaker output, if that's even possible at this point. Hate to see people miss out on this great game for such a simple oversight.

kuroneco

This game is too short and lack of any challenges; otherwise, it is fine for a PSN release but nothing above that. The need to do this more like "Umihara Kawase" game play...

Tohsaka

I played through the whole game last night, and managed to get all the trophies. I thought it was pretty amusing and the puzzle situations were really creative. I'm glad it was free on PS+, though, since it was quite short. It'd be nice if there was a sequel or similar game by the same devs someday.

derwalde

just finished it and damn im in love. this game screams "lucasarts" all over it. i loved everything... the artstyle, the humor, the music (dat jazz <3). very underrated game. one of the best ive played this year.

thenexus6

Just finished it took me a while but I thought it was excellent, writing, voice work and visuals were top notch. I will be keeping an eye on this developer from now on!

I was actually playing this game tonight. It's actually a fun game. On Chapter 4, does anyone know what to do with the
Helium Tank
? Can't find anything about it on the Internet.

Ramza

Banned
I finally wrapped this up last night. I loved practically every minute of it! So quirky and silly, just a breath of fresh air. Not a difficult game at all, but still fun with a decent amount of puzzle solving. Some of the thought dialogue was absolutely hilarious. Probably something I won't do a second play-through of (might watch the wife play it), but still an extremely rewarding experience.

I had great fun with this game. Picked it up cheap on PC, finished it in an afternoon. A very enjoyable romp which didn't wear out it's welcome.

thenexus6

I am missing a new mind reads on a couple of chapters. Thats the last trophy I need to get. Is there any way of seeing exactly who i've not read once in the chapter?

oggob

No, but pretty much anyone that you interact with in some way for story progression you need to read their mind...

Guards/Enemies don't count for the trophy...

Dee Dee

I need help playing this on Wii U. Help please!
I am using the GamePad mind reading function, which sometimes triggers on its own when I move the GamePad - how do I leave mind reading mode?? I hit every button three times, I googled and googled, but nothing, and the included manual does not include button bindings. I am stuck. Severly stuck.

Is my only option to deactivate it? I tried switching to off-TV mode, which at least lets me move again, but I am back in mind-reading mode and stuck once I switch back do TV-play.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm going to try playing this again.

Gameplay seemed really poor tbh from the time I spent with it - solving the puzzles was like dominos and the in-between traveling parts were just a hassle. I didn't like how fuzzy the graphics were on Vita as well.

I liked the humour and the cutscenes the most but when it seemed like it skipped one (bug) and wouldn't let me play it, I just quit. Will try and come back to it soon...need to make like a GB of space on the Vita for it though.

also

Banned
I'm going to try playing this again.

Gameplay seemed really poor tbh from the time I spent with it - solving the puzzles was like dominos and the in-between traveling parts were just a hassle. I didn't like how fuzzy the graphics were on Vita as well.

I liked the humour and the cutscenes the most but when it seemed like it skipped one (bug) and wouldn't let me play it, I just quit. Will try and come back to it soon...need to make like a GB of space on the Vita for it though.

I completed it two days ago and just like you said the puzzles are fairly simple (you just examine every question mark on the map) but the characters and crazy events made it worth it for me.

Like the
crocodile obsessed double amputee
in the 2nd chapter or the
lobotomy advocating guy and his psychiatrist son
in chapter 3

Basically, if a nice art style, and a wacky story and characters are enough to get you interested, you should give this game a try. The game is also fairly short (~5 hours) so it doesn't overstay its welcome.

Beat this game today, a really fun short but sweet game. There are a lot of obvious gameplay flaws but you play it for its atmosphere, art style and sense of humor. Just like a lot of Double Fine games which I saw a few nods to it in the game. I would like more games like this.

Montresor

Two chapters in a row now and I've been hit with this stupid bug where the whole screen goes black. BLERGH! Playing on XB1.

I love the game aside from that. Very funny dialogue and a cute, quirky art style. I love puzzle games like this.

Haunted

This is a good game.

Fun traversal mechanics, streamlined inventory, quirky humour, interesting characters and a completely unique art style - I think this has achieved everything The Cave wanted to and then some (my only gripe is that the puzzles lack quality and depth, either they're immediately obvious or non-sequitors - and all can be solved by sticking everything on everything).

Kudos, and shame it got overlooked.

Top Bottom