• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stick it to the man |OT| My mind has a hand of its own

Finished it today, what a fantastic game. I really enjoyed the gameplay, art, and the dialogue. Very much in the spirit of the old school lucasarts games.

Goes to show that people shouldn't judge a book by its cover, because I enjoyed this far more then most retail games on the PS4 so far. Also I laughed out loud numerous times playing it.

Bravo, I look forward what both devs do next.

Whelp, ran into a game ending bug about 15 minutes in. After giving the dude new teeth, I fell through the world and respawned, but with no apparent objective. I reloaded and my character is nowhere to be seen.

Enjoyed what I played so far but jeez.

Cess007

Whelp, ran into a game ending bug about 15 minutes in. After giving the dude new teeth, I fell through the world and respawned, but with no apparent objective. I reloaded and my character is nowhere to be seen.

Enjoyed what I played so far but jeez.

Damn, that's not good. Maybe if you restart the chapter? :/ In my case, i'm stuck at Chapter 6:
I'm at the Asylum and i've the dead rat, the bag and the charged battery but can't find what i'm still supposed to do. I found the dead whale, i gave the rubber duck to the alien lady, i made dance the Director of the asylum and put the eyes on the circus guy but still can't get out of there

jaypah

This is a fun, charming and humorous game. The wife and I stopped on chapter 6 or 7 but it's a lot more polished than I initially thought. She can't believe it was "free" and though she says that damn near every month this time I agree. What a nice little surprise considering it completely slipped under my radar upon its initial release.

I'm liking this game a lot. Writing is really solid.

Oh man, isn't it? One of the first games in a while where I'm genuinely excited to hear the next piece of dialogue.

oggob

Damn, that's not good. Maybe if you restart the chapter? :/ In my case, i'm stuck at Chapter 6:
I'm at the Asylum and i've the dead rat, the bag and the charged battery but can't find what i'm still supposed to do. I found the dead whale, i gave the rubber duck to the alien lady, i made dance the Director of the asylum and put the eyes on the circus guy but still can't get out of there

Chapter 6 spoilers, mini walkthru...

Seeing as you have the battery, then you have gotten out of the prison, what you need to do is...

Dead Rat - Whilst the Rat is the active "sticker" go to the woman who has a Dead Cat, she will drop the cat and want the rat. At that point read the Cat's mind for a trophy... but what happens is that she chases you when the Rat is the active sticker. You need to lead her to the dead whale.

Paper Bag - Like above, you will need to lead that other character to the eventual end point also, he will chase the paper bag.

Having these items, plus a charged battery will allow you to stick them to the dead whale and 'reanimate' it

oggob

Possibly not, whilst the general gameplay isn't that taxing, the storyline is amusing with alot of the jokes based on older pop culture but still heavy with adult themes

The main antagonist is a shadowy character, the game has one level that is in an asylum, there are a couple of dream levels that take place in the sub-conscious and there are some NPCs whose comments could seem rather menacing (ie: almost psychotic man bunny and also a pyromaniac are 2 examples)

Perhaps I'm being a touch over dramatical, but maybe someone will chime in with a second opinion.

Overall, it is still a fantastic game, as I've played though to 100% on Vita, PS3 & PS4

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I was super skeptical on this game when I saw the art for it, however it's a genuinely fun and funny little adventure/platformer. It's not difficult (with a game like this with these types of mechanics, this is a good thing IMO) and the humor reminds me a lot of cartoons from the 90's and early 2000's. Definitely recommend playing it even if you don't usually like point and click style adventure games.

Symbiotx

I was super skeptical on this game when I saw the art for it, however it's a genuinely fun and funny little adventure/platformer. It's not difficult (with a game like this with these types of mechanics, this is a good thing IMO) and the humor reminds me a lot of cartoons from the 90's and early 2000's. Definitely recommend playing it even if you don't usually like point and click style adventure games.

Same here, I wasn't really looking forward to this game, but have been pleasantly surprised with it. It's funny and plenty fun.

Amazing game, fantastic artstyle and really funny.
I knew nothing about it when I downloaded it for free on PS4. What a great surprise.

hbkdx12

Played through the first chapter yesterday on PS4

It's a nice touch that people's thoughts come through the controller but anybody find that it's incredibly low? Even with my ds4 level turned all the way up i pretty much had to put the controller to my ear to hear anything.

Also like how how you can fast forward and rewind the thoughts with the left stick. That was fantastic and made me smile listening to all the chipmunk voices :D

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Great game. Played it all the way through last night. Didn't expect to enjoy it that much. Felt like a Doublefine game.

Said this in another thread, but the DS4 is the perfect controller for this. The touchpad used as finesse control to select the right brain to access, the light bar matching the color of the mind-read mode, the speaker on the controller used for the "thought" dialogue (though needed to turn controller volume all the way up). You'd think they built it exclusively for PS4.

Hope for more PS+ games like this.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Awesome to see so many people giving the game a shot (and enjoying it), I always felt this game would be a great fit for PS Plus. :)

Fedele

I'm on Chapter 9 right now, and this is game is fantastic. Feels like a very well made mix of Rocko's Modern Life and Les Triplettes de Belleville (if you like animation movies, watch it). Listening to people's minds through the controller speaker is a great experience (so as controlling the speech speed with the left analog), and voice acting is really, really well done.

Ran into a few bugs where I'd drop behind the scenario, unable to come back to the "front". Nothing that ruins the gameplay, of course. Fantastic experience! :)

Tekku

Have I run into a bug or am I just doing something wrong... I can't seem to hear what people are thinking, even though I stick the "spaghetti arm" to their brains. Is there some button combination I've missed or what's going on? I can't get any further in the game.

wouwie

Have I run into a bug or am I just doing something wrong... I can't seem to hear what people are thinking, even though I stick the "spaghetti arm" to their brains. Is there some button combination I've missed or what's going on? I can't get any further in the game.

I had the same problem until i realised that the dialogue is spoken through the DS4 speaker. Which i think is a real shame since i like to play my games with headphones connected to a amplifier. I intented to replay the game on PS4 but didn't because of that reason. I wish developers would give us the option to mix the DS4 sound into the normal sound.

But nice to see people enjoying this game. I think it was an excellent and great looking game.

Maybesew

Finished it today, what a fantastic game. I really enjoyed the gameplay, art, and the dialogue. Very much in the spirit of the old school lucasarts games.

Goes to show that people shouldn't judge a book by its cover, because I enjoyed this far more then most retail games on the PS4 so far. Also I laughed out loud numerous times playing it.

Bravo, I look forward what both devs do next.

How may hours did it take you?

That was entertaining. I would even say excellent if not for the stealth segments. My game crashed during one, and in another my sleep sticker bugged out for an entire chapter. Honestly it was more fun to run the guards in circles and not use any stickers at all. I hope a sequal gets made.

jonabbey

Picked this up on PS+ this week, and my mind is blown. Tremendously high quality art, music, and over-all production values.

I love the stylized graphics. They bring to mind the old Amiga robocity demo for some reason. The voice acting and wit is all new though.

I really recommend this to folks.

Raptor

Played till Chapter 4 I think, game is fun, realli great voice work and great music.

Is there some grainy filter in the game or my TV is breaking?

EGOMON

Just finished the game and i must say am totally going to support Zoink Games next project i really enjoyed the game.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Has Zoink! done anything else? I want to subscribe to their newsletter.

I mean, wow.

Well, I might as well mention that three of the devs behind Stick it to the Man (including myself) have also worked on two (very different) games that are being released on Steam pretty soon, They Breathe and Residue.
They've been released before (on Desura) and featured various indie bundles, but we've basically gone back and cleaned them up, fixed a lot of bugs etc for the upcoming Steam releases.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Is Residue releasing on Steam? Would like to get it if it's on Steam.

Yeah, coming to Steam, we're applying the final touches and gonna do some testing later on. Don't have an exact date, but my personal guess (which in no way should be considered fact!) is this Summer.

Tizoc

In case anyone hasn't figured it or understood it after beating the game:
There is a reference to an 80s NES/Nintendo game mentioned by one of the NPCs.
A Nintendo game
referenced in a game initially released on a Sony system

I got a chuckle out of it. Oh and you can fast forward the voiced dialog when reading minds by holding the Right stick right IIRC.

Wow. I was surprised by this title. Went in expecting it to be a 'meh' PS+ title - ended up loving the music, the dialogue/humor, and plain fun game play. Going to follow these folks and check out their next game.

Cess007

Chapter 6 spoilers, mini walkthru...

Seeing as you have the battery, then you have gotten out of the prison, what you need to do is...

Dead Rat - Whilst the Rat is the active "sticker" go to the woman who has a Dead Cat, she will drop the cat and want the rat. At that point read the Cat's mind for a trophy... but what happens is that she chases you when the Rat is the active sticker. You need to lead her to the dead whale.

Paper Bag - Like above, you will need to lead that other character to the eventual end point also, he will chase the paper bag.

Having these items, plus a charged battery will allow you to stick them to the dead whale and 'reanimate' it

Thanks. In the end i found out (by accident) what i was supposed to do and finished the game yesterday. It was pretty fun and way better from what i was expecting. Totally recommend it to everyone. Story and dialog are pretty fun and charming.

Totally following these guys on twitter to know about future games.

I had the same problem until i realised that the dialogue is spoken through the DS4 speaker. Which i think is a real shame since i like to play my games with headphones connected to a amplifier. I intented to replay the game on PS4 but didn't because of that reason. I wish developers would give us the option to mix the DS4 sound into the normal sound.

But nice to see people enjoying this game. I think it was an excellent and great looking game.

Hmm, i think i have the DS speaker de-activaded and the dialogues from the people's minds come from my tv without issues.

Edit. Correction, i remembered wrong. You're right, the voice of their thoughts comes from the DS4 speaker and there's no way to hear it if you have the speakers deactivated :(

taoofjord

I'm really impressed by this. Still quite early and my only complaints so far are the poor platforming controls and awkward chapter transitions. Those aside there's a lot to love here. First off, this feels a whole lot like a 90s adventure game. Grim Fandango in particular comes to mind. The voice acting really is as good as people have said and the music is SPECTACULAR. I wouldn't be surprised if these guys were asked to join Double Fine, they seem like they'd be perfect fits, if they wanted to do something larger.

Looking forward to playing more!

Loved this game. Didn't expect it to be this well-written and fun.

The references are extremely humorous, that Godfather reference lol.

All in all, the dialogue was very well-written, pretty great game!

I'm up to chapter 6. People are right to praise the writing in this, but let's not overlook how good the voice acting and art is too. It's an excellent adventure game even if it's one that seems to be trying to look like a platformer. It certainly does a much better job at melding some light platforming with adventure game mechanics than The Cave did, which I also liked.

But this is definitely better.

GeoramA

Surprised how overlooked this game is on GAF. Just started playing it last night and I'm loving it, mostly because of the 90's Nickelodeon feel it has. The writing and voice acting are top-notch.

Probably my favorite PS4 PS+ freebie this year, so far.

Top Bottom