• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

ManofOne

Plus Member
Here Are My Some of My Notes From The Federal Reserve Minutes On Inflation

1) "Manufacturing activity continued to gen-erally outperform activity in the services sector, and manufactured exports from China and some other Asian economies remained strong, especially to the United States. Inflation rebounded in many foreign economies, reflecting rising energy prices and other temporary fac-tors. However, underlying inflationary pressures re-mained subdued."

2) "The nominal Treasury yield curve steepened markedly, largely because of increases in longer-term real yields, although measures of inflation compensation also increased further. "

3) "Incoming data on inflation were a little above what the staff had expected. The 12-month changes in total and core PCE prices were expected to transitorily move above 2 percent in coming months, as the low inflation readings from the spring of last year dropped out of the calculation window. In addition, inflation was forecast to be temporarily boosted this year by the expected emergence of some production bottlenecks and supply constraints. "

4) "The staff viewed the risks of upside inflationary pressures as hav-ing increased since the previous forecast and now saw the risks to the inflation projection as balanced. "

5) "Participants observed that headline PCE inflation con-tinued to run below 2 percent. In the near term, the 12-month change in PCE prices was expected to move above 2 percent as the low inflation readings from "the spring of last year drop out of the calculation. Most par-ticipants also pointed to supply constraints that could contribute to price increases for some goods in coming months as the economy continued to reopen. After thetransitory effects of these factors fade, however, partici-pants generally anticipated that annual inflation readings would edge down next year. "

6) "Market-based measures of inflation compensation at the 5- and 10-year horizons had continued to move up over the intermeet-ing period, while survey-based measures of inflation ex-pectations were little changed on balance. A number of participants indicated that the increases in market-based measures of inflation compensation from the very low levels of last spring were consistent with the view that inflation was likely to move along a path over time con-sistent with the Committee’s goals."

7) "Com-mittee’s goals to achieve maximum employment and in-flation at the rate of 2 percent over the longer run and with inflation running persistently below this longer-run goal, they would aim to achieve inflation moderately above 2 percent for some time so that inflation averages 2 percent over time and longer-term inflation expecta-tions remain well anchored at 2 percent. Members ex-pected to maintain an accommodative stance of mone-tary policy until those outcomes were achieved."

8) "isorderly condi-tions in Treasury markets or a persistent rise in yields that could jeopardize progress toward the Committee’s goals were seen as cause for concern. While overall fi-nancial conditions were still seen as accommodative, a number of participants remarked that financing condi-tions remained challenging for many small businesses"

SpartanN92

Banned
+0.01% today
cXXNlDK.jpg

This is obviously a risky thing just based of historical data, but has anyone put a little into VIX or a similar volatility index?

mC0aWs6.png

Based off the chart, it normally stays <$20, with most of the points being around $12-$14. The way I see it, if I put in an order to buy around $13 and then, once if that order goes through, put in another order to sell at $50-$60 I could almost quadruple the investment with little possible downside. If VIX missed my sell limit, I can still sell while it is elevated and make decent. Even if it dropped rapidly, historically I would not be at much risk.

I feel strongly that a major negative economic event will happen soon, so this feels like a way to hedge relatively safely against that, along with other strategies. If nothing happens and Biden really does trigger an American renaissance I don't stand to lose anything significantly because I bought at its historical stable low, and if things go to hell I can make a once-in-a-decade return. I'm obviously not planning to dump $50k or something huge like that in there, and I'm not a financial guy, but this has my data analysis senses tingling.

Edit: I didn't realize VIX itself isn't easily tradeable. I was thinking of TVIX, which has been delisted. That really sucks.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

tt
Man I fucking love it when I am right. - Looks like wage inflation boys. Prepare yourself

So after reading this thread (see below) I want to share an impending crisis emerging as the result of Democrat policies.

This morning the U.S job market with a surprising increase in unemployment benefits. Where Initial jobless claims up to 744k vs. 680k est. & 728k in prior week; continuing claims at 3.73M vs. 3.64M est. & 3.75M in prior week.

yHY67et.jpg

However, that not the worst part. Job Openings have hit a record high where the recent JOLTS report suggest "Feb job openings much stronger than expected; JOLTS up to 7.367M vs. 6.9M est. & 7.099M in prior month (rev up); pace of hiring increased to 4% vs. 3.8% prior; layoffs/discharges unchanged; quit rate at 2.3%; separations at 3.8%"

mXDWEEU.jpg

Read More Here

It is looking like I was wrong about inflation not being a worry till fall. What time are the numbers on the 13th?

Juc3PyK.jpg

ClxbW6D.png

YCC, inflation, taxes, system wide debt, ESG, bubble market...so many factors.
From the latest report I read,

MSFT grabbing market share from Amazon (Amazon grabbing market share from Google)...............the thing about MSFT out of all the companies it has the best position for almost any industry.

Social Media, Data, Cloud, Energy, etc...........definitely has more room to grow. What MSFT does also is acquire companies that fit along its long term trajectory. So Discord is definitetly a plus similar

to what it did with Linked In which is a money printing machine now.

Azure is also going to be a power house in next few years.

and they are the only giant corp investing heavily into web 3.0, which is going to fundamentally shift how we do what we do. Out of the big tech stocks, they are the one best placed to ride the disruption. Their CEO is ace. Only worry is that substantial further growth would put them in the DoJ antitrust crosshairs.

One more graph because why not:

UwBhjXL.jpg

ManofOne

Plus Member
tt

It is looking like I was wrong about inflation not being a worry till fall. What time are the numbers on the 13th?

Juc3PyK.jpg

ClxbW6D.png

YCC, inflation, taxes, system wide debt, ESG, bubble market...so many factors.

and they are the only giant corp investing heavily into web 3.0, which is going to fundamentally shift how we do what we do. Out of the big tech stocks, they are the one best placed to ride the disruption. Their CEO is ace. Only worry is that substantial further growth would put them in the DoJ antitrust crosshairs.

One more graph because why not:

UwBhjXL.jpg

I don’t think ur wrong. This is just inputs. The other components like rent, health care, travel etc.

Have barely moved. April 13th is inflation index numbers.

I think almost everything will increase later on the year in the summer or fall.

ManofOne

Plus Member
I’ll also add that rent inflation is being suppressed by two things.

1) the rent controls being imposed by the federal government
2) home purchases on the rise

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Anyone have some insight to why Disney is not valued more? Is it still pandemic related in terms of theme parks?

ManofOne

Plus Member
I'll take capital structure for $500.

Just to clarify I'm not saying DIS isn't a good company but I'm just saying I would prefer a company that has better returns to shareholders.

The companies leverage free cashflow is ranked pretty low vs comparable. EBITDA Margin is the same.

Median debt to equity is around 0.44 but currently its around 0.6

GHG

Apple sold. Invested the money back into my ETF's

Did the same today. Not hanging around. Can't be arsed for it to try and hit 135 again, would rather take the small loss and reinvest the money elsewhere. Was thousands down on that piece of shit for ages, and I don't even like apple products 😂

GHG

Also Nvidia today... Wow.

But in doing so they absolutely tanked AMD and Intel's share price. Overall SMH is down today despite Nvidia killing it.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
0.11%
$554.88

A good day's wages today.
I always count the capital gains cut the government will take when I count my unrealized gains. It makes me feel like I worked harder.

I just read all the bearish Apple posts...

About 10% of my portfolio is on Apple and I have some leaps that I am holding onto. It looks like I am due for some pain according to some PoVs, but I am also extremely confident about those positions, so we’ll see.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Inflation report today.

If inflation rises above expected.... I would anticipate that tech shares to slide in the near term until inflation flattens out

ManofOne

Plus Member
INFLATION HIGHER THAN EXPECTED.

U.S. consumer prices climbed in March by more than forecast, adding to evidence of budding inflationary pressures as the economy reopens and demand strengthens.

The consumer price index increased 0.6% in March from the prior month after a 0.4% gain in February, according to Labor Department data Tuesday. The median estimate in a Bloomberg survey of economists called for a 0.5% advance.

Excluding volatile food and energy components, the so-called core CPI increased 0.3% from a month earlier.

The monthly advance in the widely followed index led to an outsize 2.6% increase in the overall CPI from March 2020, when the pandemic depressed demand and pricing power. The core measure rose 1.6% from 12 months ago.

The year-over-year changes are distorted by a phenomenon known as the base effect. The CPI, like many other economic data points, declined at the start of the pandemic amid lockdowns and widespread business closures. When compared to those depressed figures, the year-over-year increases for March-May will appear abnormally large.

While many bond traders have priced in the expected anomalies in the CPI data Tuesday because of base effects, investors have also been on watch for a catalyst to move yields higher. After a spike that last month took the 10-year rate above 1.77%, the benchmark has hovered close to 1.7% in recent sessions.

The latest figures on consumer prices add fuel to an already heated debate about the path of inflation in the U.S., especially on the heels of last week’s Labor Department data showing a stronger-than-expected surge in producer prices.

Some analysts and economists argue a wave of pent-up demand paired with trillions of dollars in government spending will spur a sustained upward movement in inflation. Meanwhile, Federal Reserve officials, including Chair Jerome Powell, have said any meaningful increase in prices will likely prove temporary.

Amid supply chain bottlenecks, supply shortages and surging input costs, producers are already feeling the pinch of rising costs. While not all cost increases will be pushed through to consumers -- given a variety of different measures firms can take to offset costs -- sustained pressures in the production pipeline raise the risk of an acceleration in consumer inflation.

Recent survey data highlighted developing cost pressures. The Institute for Supply Management’s latest figures showed more than half of service providers reported paying higher prices in March, the largest share since 2011. The ISM’s manufacturing survey showed about 72% of manufacturers said the same -- the second-most since 2008.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Last edited:
Top Bottom