• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Storm of the decade" to hit NorCal on Thurs w/ hurricane force winds in Sierra mtns

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Drove him MV-Santa Clara on the 101 and yeah storm wasn't quite what I expected. But that's a good thing. Hope people stay stuff, we get some precipitation and limit major damage.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Heard on the radio on the drive home that the storm system seems to have slowed down over the Bay Area and will linger for a couple more hours.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Southern California, no, Northern. Maybe.
It was just an aside. But the suggestion will work all the same ground level or not. you can still caulk the frame and get some help that way in an emergency. If it's an inch till it reaches your door though, that's pretty damn late.

Lay some towels down. Get a boat.

Houses in SoCal can have basements. I used to rent one converted to an apartment. I looked at a few during that time.

no basement just a ground level home with a back yard front yard and a garage. My back yard is done for and now all the water is flowing to the front yard. I have about a inch left before the water reaches the back door.

Make sandbags out of plastic bags/old pillowcases and make a ring around your door. If you have wet set caulk, you can seal the lower portion of the back door.

Fjordson

Raining like a mother fucker here in Morgan Hill. Thankfully nothing too crazy though and I'll be home for the night in about a half hour.

It's now been pouring for a good 10 hours straight in San Jose.

For the past two hours, I was literally standing in the rain pumping water that was flooding outside my house. There's a bunch of tanbark out there, so it kept clogging the sump pump. It was basically "turn on pump, shoot out jet of water, get clogged, unclog, repeat"

I was shivering when I came back inside and just stood under a steaming hot shower for 20 minutes. So happy to be inside, but I can see it's starting the flood again in the same area :|

yayaba

It's definitely been awhile since it's rained this long from morning to evening. Doesn't seem to be letting up anytime soon either.

The evening commute traffic looks light. I guess people really did stay home. I know my team out of 25 people only 3 people went into the office.

So apparently San Diego IS getting some rain tomorrow, yay!

Its supposedly a "big storm" but thats just what we call 1 inch of rain, because we're very very dehydrated.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
had a good couple hours of snow before it turned back to rain. should get more tonight and most of tomorrow. nice to see the lake filling back up.

PsychBat!

Banned
What worries me is that there's a community pool right in front of my apartment. Like 5 feet away from my door. I really hope it doesn't overflow while I'm gone.

Chances are it won't happen but the rain still hasn't gone away in San Jose.

geeko

Powers out at my house in the Santa cruz mountains and I'm not sure if I want to go home. Might just crash at a buddies house in the valley tonight. I dont mind the rain, but I can't stand not having power

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I did attempt to do my usual jog today.. but..
lvkBPKx.jpg

Yup! the entire park was completely flooded. The lake is surrounded by dams and this was about 30 feet down the dam. Usually the trail goes way through there. I'd say at the deepest thats easily 8 feet of water.

Crazy!

XiaNaphryz

Looks like the storm became a blizzard when it Tahoe. At least 6-12 inches of snow after 1 day they're forecasting.

Syriel

Ha, I fear that many Californians will think this will solve our drought problem.

Yeah, it'll take more than just one storm to refill the ground reservoirs.

Looks like the storm became a blizzard when it Tahoe. At least 6-12 inches of snow after 1 day they're forecasting.

That's near the lake. At the higher elevations, they're hoping for 3 feet.

Solid snowpack is just what the state needs.

Repgnar

I'm living in the Monterey Bay area and the forecasts were saying much worse than what happened. The rain was heavy for a little bit but for the most part it was rain and a little rain. Maybe coming from Florida kind of made me numb to 'storms' like this. Didn't really start up until 11 or so and it's been off and on all day. Kind of hoping for it to continue up until the weekend because the weather here has been exactly the same all year.

XiaNaphryz

Have we had a storm with more precipitation so far this decade? In certain areas this was a lot more water in a given time than our infrastructure can handle.

Pretty sure this is the most rain we've had from a single storm since the decade started.

MaliciousH

Neo Member
I'm living in the Monterey Bay area and the forecasts were saying much worse than what happened. The rain was heavy for a little bit but for the most part it was rain and a little rain. Maybe coming from Florida kind of made me numb to 'storms' like this. Didn't really start up until 11 or so and it's been off and on all day. Kind of hoping for it to continue up until the weekend because the weather here has been exactly the same all year.

You described how it is about half to two-third of the year. If you came in last year around the start of winter, you came in during a really weird winter with very little rain. Usually the rain come sometime in November and ramp up around now and stay this way (~weekly rain) till ~Feb and slowly peter out with the coming of summer. Last year it just stopped with the second or third rain.

Have we had a storm with more precipitation so far this decade? In certain areas this was a lot more water in a given time than our infrastructure can handle.

Are we talking 2010 to present or in the last 10 years? Either way I'm pretty sure we've had a harder hitting storm than this. This weather is constant rain, not hard hitting harsh rain. The wind is even calm. I'm grateful for the rain, but the number of people who stayed home today over this is kinda laughable.

yayaba

Didn't even leave my room today. Hopefully it'll stop tomorrow when I actually have to leave....

Yup, didn't leave my house all day either. Got delivery for lunch and dinner to my door.

And I don't remember the last time it's rained 15+ hours now since well before 8AM now. It's 11PM now. Crazy.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
lol i can't believe it's still raining. it's been for at least 12-14 hours now.

Yeah I can't think of the last time anywhere I've been that I've seen this constant of a rainfall. The Northwest Coast rains all the time, but I can't remember it raining even for this constant of an amount (that's not a storm). They also got hit bad too at the start of the week, which is why I figured this storm would mean some trouble.

Are we talking 2010 to present or in the last 10 years? Either way I'm pretty sure we've had a harder hitting storm than this. This weather is constant rain, not hard hitting harsh rain. The wind is even calm. I'm grateful for the rain, but the number of people who stayed home today over this is kinda laughable.

Just goes to show how unprepared/scared most Californians are of the rain since we live in such a paradise of a state. Compare these kinds of "storms" to the monsoon-type weather of Southeast Asia, this is basically nothing.

I don't think so. The highways on my commute were all flooded. On top of that, my office lost power lol. Flooded highways were a mess.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Just goes to show how unprepared/scared most Californians are of the rain since we live in such a paradise of a state. Compare these kinds of "storms" to the monsoon-type weather of Southeast Asia, this is basically nothing.

Yeah but it's all relative. I'm always fascinated by this compulsion of people to be total dicks about how others respond to natural events. I can't feel that bad for CA though because CA people are just as dickish when it comes to others reacting to earthquakes. Not me though I'm a nice guy.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
storm of the decade my ass

I don't think so. The highways on my commute were all flooded. On top of that, my office lost power lol. Flooded highways were a mess.

These two replies in this order work. I don't get how people don't think that mass amounts of flooding and power outage doesn't = a pretty big storm (for the area). This is not the Midwest or East Coast, so we aren't exactly prepared for this sort of thing.

Its windy as hell here in cen cali. I tried flying a kite but couldn't get it to work. I got tired and went back inside. Its suppose to rain all night.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters

With all the flooding and power outages? No, those didn't affect everyone but it also wasn't predictable who it might affect. Ergo, people stayed home. Hell, entire bart stations had to shut down for hours.

We haven't had anything like this since 2010 for sure.

Ugh, my mom barricaded the garage with sandbags trying to prevent water from getting in. Surely enough, water still got in but the sandbags actually prevented water from leaving. We live on a hill so none of this really mattered in the first place, she wasted money on sandbags.

But then she calls the fucking fire department at 10 PM over the puddle forming at the entrance of the garage thinking the house was going to get flooded. I go out and see a fucking fire truck parked in front of the house wondering WTF is going on. The firemen were pissed. I could hear it. They try to explain that they are called for emergencies etc. I was too shocked at what even happened to answer any of their questions.

How embarrassing.

On the way home from the Sharks game, a freeway sign said 101 flooded @ Willow, all lanes blocked. That is normally where I would exit.

I crossed over and took 280 instead. Did hit a huge 8 inch deep puddle on the Shoreline exit though, that was kinda scary.

Sharks game was short lots of fans. But that was good for me, I had crappy upper level seats so I snuck down to some 9th row lower level seats. Much more fun to watch the game from down there.
3AQmK.gif

Supposed to hit me over the night. I don't think we're supposed to get it anywhere near as bad as nor cal, so I'm looking forward to it. It's only and inch expected.

Cyan

Banned
On the way home from the Sharks game, a freeway sign said 101 flooded @ Willow, all lanes blocked. That is normally where I would exit.

I crossed over and took 280 instead. Did hit a huge 8 inch deep puddle on the Shoreline exit though, that was kinda scary.

Whoa. Hmm. Hope everything's fine by the time I have to go to work tomorrow. That's pretty close to me.

Managed to walk to the Sharks game from work and then back home afterwards entirely without incident. I expected fewer people at the game, but then I also expected to hit more than middling rain, no wind, and a few spots of 6-8 inch puddles downtown tonight.

These two replies in this order work. I don't get how people don't think that mass amounts of flooding and power outage doesn't = a pretty big storm (for the area). This is not the Midwest or East Coast, so we aren't exactly prepared for this sort of thing.

It's really just the dissonance between the weather that's happening and the problematic results that occur. Here in San Jose it rained all day but never got above what I'd call the high end of moderate rain at any given time, and there was no wind to speak of, so from my perspective it would barely count as inclement weather -- you wouldn't even get this on the news in New England.

At the same time, because California doesn't get these storms that often, the results are quite a bit greater -- the ground can't absorb water so the flooding starts much faster, and the highways aren't built for wet driving so the commutes (even where nothing floods) are much slower and less safe. I'll probably give people a bit of a hard time tomorrow (or Monday....) but in reality it's good that people stayed home -- it's much better for everyone if people can make sensible decisions to stay home in poor weather, both for their own safety and to make things safer for the people who do need to go out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom