• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I know its not an anthology series but I think it could be cool if they visited different eras from the overall storyline. For example a prequel series set in the 70's or hell they could even do one set in the 90's since that's basically ancient history now.

All the different groups and stories came together beautifully

Yep. I watched this with a younger cousin, he's 15, and that was our immediate thought after it all. We agreed that all the groups come together wonderfully. The different discoveries each make and the information they do and do not have is all excellent. And within each group they transform and also have superb chemistry. Gosh, what a delightful watch it was.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Mr Clarke clearly
having though about shadow realms and totally down for discussing it at the drop of the hat
killed me.

Mr. Clarke: Hey kids, why are you building a sensory deprivation tank?

Dustin: ...for fun. >_<

Asking about travelling to alternate dimensions at a funeral was hilarious, too.

I'm probably in the minority but I'm not actually feeling the soundtrack. Not to say it's bad but I guess for something that is tapping into the 80s ET/Goonies/etc. nostalgia I was hoping for a more traditional orchestral soundtrack like you would've got from movies of that era. In a weird way the synthwave music is almost the most anachronistic part of the show for me in the sense that it immediately betrays any idea of this actually being a product of the 80s.

Stephen King is a big influence too and 2 of the adaptations of his novels that were made in the early '80s used heavy synth soundtracks- Christine (John Carpenter) and Firestarter (Tangerine Dream).

Croc

Banned
So I thought it seemed to be implied fairly clearly but I guess not everyone in this thread thought so

Ep 8:
I thought Hopper getting in the car implied he had previously been working with "them". That would explain why it was so easy for him to convince "them" to let him and Joyce go and would also explain him knowing about that box that he took the waffles to. I don't think there's any reason to assume it's El's grave because what significance does that spot have? If that was supposed to be her grave I feel like they'd have definitely shown the kids there as well since they had the strongest connection to her. I think that box was something planted there on purpose. My idea is maybe that box is connected to the upside down (where El may be trapped) and putting food in there will let El receive the food on the other side.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So I thought it seemed to be implied fairly clearly but I guess not everyone in this thread thought so

Ep 8:
I thought Hopper getting in the car implied he had previously been working with "them". That would explain why it was so easy for him to convince "them" to let him and Joyce

No, I don't think that at all. That wouldn't even make any sense.
They let him and Joyce go because they thought they were as good as dead.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So spoiler for the series but I don't think it was ever covered but...
Did they just leave the portal to the Upside Down open in the basement area of the Department of Energy building?

Croc

Banned
No, I don't think that at all. That wouldn't even make any sense.
They let him and Joyce go because they thought they were as good as dead.

Well then why would he
voluntarily get into the car with the people who clearly didn't want him to escape because of the information he knew? The people who were expecting him to die attempting the rescue and therefore thought they wouldn't have to worry about him knowing that stuff. I don't see any reason why he'd get in that car unless he knew he wasn't actually in any danger.

Finished up. Fantastic series. Never thought I'd see the day when the kid actors were just as good as adults. I really like the guy who was chief, he's always in small/creepy parts but is always good

Trojita

Well then why would he
voluntarily get into the car with the people who clearly didn't want him to escape because of the information he knew? The people who were expecting him to die attempting the rescue and therefore thought they wouldn't have to worry about him knowing that stuff. I don't see any reason why he'd get in that car unless he knew he wasn't actually in any danger.

He knew he was fucked with their involvement anyway. When they came out of the warp they would have talked again to the lab people there too. He might have had to agree to talk to them again later

He's the type of person to just say fuck it and get it over with.

Well then why would he
Must be tied to the deal he made. Maybe they have tech/research to bring his daughter back or something. Given how he gave up the kids despite being so gung ho in doing the right thing, I can only see something related to his daughter being enough of an opportunity to get him to make a deal

Trojita

Also the Chief
is one of the only people that went into The Upside Down and survived. It's him, Joyce, Nancy, and Will who is recovering. They don't know that Nancy went there. They are going to want both a briefing on his experience there as well as a debrief on him

The assumption that the Chief
was working with them all this time
is crazy and makes me wonder if you fell asleep during a lot of the show.

jmood88

He knew he was fucked with their involvement anyway. When they came out of the warp they would have talked again to the lab people there too. He might have had to agree to talk to them again later

He's the type of person to just say fuck it and get it over with.
Plus, he was seemingly the only person to have made it back from the other world without dying (even if it was dumb luck that the monster had been drawn elsewhere), so it made sense that they would want to talk to him.

Croc

Banned
Must be tied to the deal he made. Maybe they have tech/research to bring his daughter back or something. Given how he gave up the kids despite being so gung ho in doing the right thing, I can only see something related to his daughter being enough of an opportunity to get him to make a deal

I didn't even think about there being anything related to his daughter. That makes sense though. I thought it implied she was just dead. I also didn't think about there being more to the deal than what was directly shown.

Though now that you mention his daughter I did think the whole juxtaposition of his daughter's death with the saving of Will in the Upside Down was a bit weird. Maybe it's just me but I didn't quite get what purpose that served. The only connection to those two events seemed very random, like him comforting Joyce and her pulling the tentacle out of Will's mouth. I'm not sure if there was more to that or if it was just supposed to be coincidental things that reminded him of his daughter, but it just came off as weird to me.

Sunster

Also the Chief
is one of the only people that went into The Upside Down and survived. It's him, Joyce, Nancy, and Will who is recovering. They don't know that Nancy went there. They are going to want both a briefing on his experience there as well as a debrief on him

The assumption that the Chief
was working with them all this time
is crazy and makes me wonder if you fell asleep during a lot of the show.

Lando. Calrissian.

I didn't even think about there being anything related to his daughter. That makes sense though. I thought it implied she was just dead. I also didn't think about there being more to the deal than what was directly shown.

Though now that you mention his daughter I did think the whole juxtaposition of his daughter's death with the saving of Will in the Upside Down was a bit weird. Maybe it's just me but I didn't quite get what purpose that served. The only connection to those two events seemed very random, like him comforting Joyce and her pulling the tentacle out of Will's mouth. I'm not sure if there was more to that or if it was just supposed to be coincidental things that reminded him of his daughter, but it just came off as weird to me.
It was subtle, but another plot point throughout the series was that he definitely hasn't gotten over his daughter's death yet. I think that juxtaposition was telling us more than it let on

But that's what season 2 is for, right?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
this was absolutely wonderful, and captured everything i love about 80s horror movie making

tremendous character work throughout... can't wait to see what they do in S2

series spoiler:
so glad Nancy ended up with Steve - he might've been my favorite character in the series.

Croc

Banned
It was subtle, but another plot point throughout the series was that he definitely hasn't gotten over his daughter's death yet. I think that juxtaposition was telling us more than it let on

But that's what season 2 is for, right?

Yeah I definitely caught on that he wasn't over it. I think that's why that whole sequence stood out to me more, because it seemed like such a weird time to explore those feelings and then to make that comparison. Which is why I agree I think there's more to it

I think it has something to do with his daughter. If you rewatch the flashback scene where Susan is having a panic attack she is looking around scared shitless into the distance more than once. The next flashback scene has him finding the same tiger teddy bear in the under world that she had while sick in the hospital.The DoE scientist did say the underworld atmosphere is toxic. I believe his daughter may have crossed into the underworld.

Y'know. I totally forgot about that stuff.
I think that makes an even bigger case for his daughter being involved in this somehow.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

I think it has something to do with his daughter. If you rewatch the flashback scene where Susan is having a panic attack she is looking around scared shitless into the distance more than once. The next flashback scene has him finding the same tiger teddy bear in the under world that she had while sick in the hospital.The DoE scientist did say the underworld atmosphere is toxic. I believe his daughter may have crossed into the underworld.

Only watched episode 1 so far.. but I'm already 100% on board.

I love the music, but it's the only thing that doesn't feel authentic to me so far. It's fitting, but too obviously trying to invoke the time period.

That title card... so good.

120v

holy crap... had no idea this existed until this morning. sounded like one of those shows that looks great on paper but ends up terribly. so i watched the first episode on a whim, had no intention to binge today but ended up burning through all eight of them.

the way it carved out all the different influences of 80s cinema and blended them all was perfect and never felt hamfisted. i almost hope there's no season 2, in fact. everything was so well done it may be best to end there

Patryn

Wow. Favorite show I've watched this year, totally nailed the vibe they were going for.

Honestly, I feel like it had enough closure that I'd almost want a season 2 that tackled an entirely new story. But I'd still watch the hell out of a continuation.

That soundtrack though... So fucking good.

halfbeast

Banned
it's a good show, it's just missing one crucial element to make this the absolute 80s perfection:
a nerd kid dropping their glasses and crawling on the floor, yelling: "my glasses! my glasses!"

Almost done with 7, have liked it for the most part but they really could have condensed a lot of the early to mid eps, pacing tends to drag there and feels like padding things to bloat ep count. Otherwise enjoyable.

Oh crap, I missed that detail. His daughter's death has to be connected to the other dimension then

I noticed the tiger but for whatever reason didn't think much of it. I figured it was just a coincidence, which was dumb given the show I was watching. :p

But it does make sense that it could have something to do with his daughter. Maybe she never died. Or the DoE brought her back for experimentation.

MaKTaiL

Just finished. OMG, this show, THIS SHOW! Best thing Netflix has ever produced (and I liked all their shows so far). Amazing story, amazing characters, everything amazing. Can't wait for Season 2.

Prompto

Banned
Well that was fun and very addicting to watch. Haven't binge watched an entire season of a show in day in a while.
Ending spoilers:
Why'd they have to kill Barbara :(

series spoiler:
so glad Nancy ended up with Steve - he might've been my favorite character in the series.
Yeah it was nice to see they redeemed his character by the end.

jmood88

Almost done with 7, have liked it for the most part but they really could have condensed a lot of the early to mid eps, pacing tends to drag there and feels like padding things to bloat ep count. Otherwise enjoyable.
I think people just have this complaint ready to go for every Netflix show and it will never make sense to me.

Funny, this was maybe the first Netflix show that didn't feel overly long. Daredevil and House of Cards always feel a couple episodes too long for me. 8 episodes for this felt just right. And in fact the characters were so loveable that I'd happily have watched way more.

I feel the exact opposite. The pacing was excellent. Calling them chapters instead of episodes was so fitting because each one compelled me to watch the next one like the page-turning chapters in a good book. Every episode had some big revelation or oh shit moment, that I needed to keep watch and see what happened next

MaKTaiL

Funny, this was maybe the first Netflix show that didn't feel overly long. Daredevil and House of Cards always feel a couple episodes too long for me. 8 episodes for this felt just right. And in fact the characters were so loveable that I'd happily have watched way more.
Yeah. I think this time instead of "Ok, you need to do 13 episodes, go!" the creators had a story to tell and it happened to be done in 8 episodes. They did everything they wanted how they wanted to do it. That's why it felt so right.

Yeah. I think this time instead of "Ok, you need to do 13 episodes, go!" the creators had a story to tell and it happened to be done in 8 episodes. They did everything they wanted how they wanted to do it. That's why it felt so right.

It's something I hope future Netflix endeavors learn from. Like that Punisher show (and future Daredevil and HoC honestly).

spock

About to start episode 6, most def one of the best shows of the year and best up there for the best of netflix. Btw anyone know much about the creators the duffer brothers?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
series spoiler:

(series spoiler)
I was amazed by how three dimensional they made Steve. I kept going back and forth on him the entire season:

"Yeah, he's a total douchebag" "Wait, maybe not" "No, he's definitely an asshole" "Eh he actually seems like a pretty good guy..."

I liked him a lot as well and I'm also glad he ended up with Nancy.

i watched the first episode on a whim, had no intention to binge today but ended up burning through all eight of them.

Haha, the same thing happened to me yesterday. I was like "Eh, I have some things to do later but I guess I'll watch the first episode to kill some time." and 5 HOURS LATER I was craving more but had to go to sleep for the night.

The padded out seasons of Daredevil killed whatever enthusiasm I had for that show. This show on the other had was perfect. Plus I loved how they had these small prologue-like moments before every title sequence. I sometimes forgot I was only at the beginning of the episode.

Top Bottom