• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

strafer

Series done.

Holy shit what a ride. Probably the best show I've watched this year.

Regarding the ending.

Pretty standard sci-fi ending that clearly sets up a season 2 which I'm 100% onboard with.

Somehow I doubt EL is dead. Will coughing up that slug was pretty messed up, clearly he's not fine.

Nancy going to back to Steve, the hell? She should have stayed with Norman Reedus.

TI82

Banned
Holy shit this show is bananas good. I'm on episode 5 right now. Does it actually end or is it a cliffhanger for next year? Tell me in a spoiler so I know how anxious I am going to be.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I haven't seen anyone mention that El
is basically put into the sensory deprivation tank to basically start doing remote viewing or even a form of astral projection. Most likely in reference to the government's experiments to see if you could kill someone from afar with your mind. Notice how the first person she see's is a man speaking Russian. Cold War and all it was actually a pretty cool moment.

ron_bato

I'm 2 episodes in and I'm loving it so far.

This show is making me miss being a kid again lol.

edit: In a weird coincidence, I watched Super 8 this morning before stumbling upon this show. Both hit me with nostalgia so hard lol.

Finished it in one sitting tonight. This is the best thing Netflix has produced by miles. The acting, story, soundtrack, opening sequence, pacing, set design were all on point and they nailed being a kid in the 80's.

Also
the scene where EL kills all the CIA agents was so fucking badass.

Matty77

Holy shit this show is bananas good. I'm on episode 5 right now. Does it actually end or is it a cliffhanger for next year? Tell me in a spoiler so I know how anxious I am going to be.
Not sure it needs spoiler tags but the last episode
Has no major cliffhanger and enough is resolved that if this is it it's still satisfying and should be required viewing for years to come. However there are multiple hanging threads that actually manage to balance a tightrope act of being "final stingers and make you think questions" if there is nothing else, but if there is a second season they can hit the ground running and if they announce one you will actually have a decent idea of where it will at least start.

Damn satisfying.
so yeah it's all good either way.

Dynomutt

I haven't seen anyone mention that El
is basically put into the sensory deprivation tank to basically start doing remote viewing or even a form of astral projection. Most likely in reference to the government's experiments to see if you could kill someone from afar with your mind. Notice how the first person she see's is a man speaking Russian. Cold War and all it was actually a pretty cool moment.

I think it was a couple pages back.
I think its pretty clear that this is what caused the the breach or tear. As implied it is during one of these sessions she accidentally taps into the upside down world and sees the beast during remote viewing. She first hears/sees the beast during one of the sessions and during the second they try to initiate contact. When El gets comes into contact and gets frightened her reaction caused that chasm in the wall that leads into the up side down world.

One thing not explained is about the other tears and the beasts own ability to open a tear.

Was it capable of doing this prior?

What did it feed on before all of this since it became attracted to blood?

Why did that chasm in the lab look alive like a gash?

Did Will throw up a remainder or that tentacle or was it like a slug?

HStallion

I think it was a couple pages back.
I think its pretty clear that this is what caused the the breach or tear. As implied it is during one of these sessions she accidentally taps into the upside down world and sees the beast during remote viewing. She first hears/sees the beast during one of the sessions and during the second they try to initiate contact. When El gets comes into contact and gets frightened her reaction caused that chasm in the wall that leads into the up side down world.

One thing not explained is about the other tears and the beasts own ability to open a tear.

Was it capable of doing this prior?

What did it feed on before all of this since it became attracted to blood?

Why did that chasm in the lab look alive like a gash?

Did Will throw up a remainder or that tentacle or was it like a slug?

I get what happened with El
but I was more talking about what was most likely the original point of the experiment. It seems they had no clue about the Upside Down or the monsters or any of that until they ripped open the tear. Since the show ties back to a lot of shady government experiments on mind control, psychic powers, and so on. It reminded me of stories of the CIA and such trying to use telekinesis to kill Russian agents and politicians from afar which is why I think she encountered the Russian man first before it all went to shit.

Dynomutt

I get what happened with El
but I was more talking about what was most likely the original point of the experiment. It seems they had no clue about the Upside Down or the monsters or any of that until they ripped open the tear. Since the show ties back to a lot of shady government experiments on mind control, psychic powers, and so on. It reminded me of stories of the CIA and such trying to use telekinesis to kill Russian agents and politicians from afar which is why I think she encountered the Russian man first before it all went to shit.

I see.
Lol... apologies for the trigger reponse. Agreed the MK Ultra stuff was really cool and well done. Added a sense of realism. So if she is number Eleven and is that powerful what happened to the other 10?

Really hoping for a season 2!

TI82

Banned
Not sure it needs spoiler tags but the last episode
Has no major cliffhanger and enough is resolved that if this is it it's still satisfying and should be required viewing for years to come. However there are multiple hanging threads that actually manage to balance a tightrope act of being "final stingers and make you think questions" if there is nothing else, but if there is a second season they can hit the ground running and if they announce one you will actually have a decent idea of where it will at least start.

Damn satisfying.
so yeah it's all good either way.

Thanks, will finish last 3 episodes tomorrow after work.

Anyone familiar with Locke & Key? After this I'm curious what Netflix could do with the material.

Funny you say that, http://screenrant.com/locke-key-tv-show-joe-hill/

HStallion

I see.
Lol... apologies for the trigger reponse. Agreed the MK Ultra stuff was really cool and well done. Added a sense of realism. So if she is number Eleven and is that powerful what happened to the other 10?

Really hoping for a season 2!

I actually asked that same question about the prior numbers. Could even be a theme of the next season trying to dig deeper on what was going on before 11.

JoeBoy101

Posted a Spoiler Thread if people are interested. Especially as this thread's got more black blocked text than white lately.

I actually asked that same question about the prior numbers. Could even be a theme of the next season trying to dig deeper on what was going on before 11.

I took it as meaning
the other 10 were the failed experiments and El was the first successful one.

EVIL

This doesn't take into account that the Upside Down seems to be an exact replica of the regular world including Wills Fort in the woods. I guess it's possible that it had its own history but it seems like a shadowy mirror of the real world

I think what he is trying to say is that its an alternative dimension with minor differences. In that sense.. the original upside down was just like our world. with its own will and friends. until the creature came into theirs to feed and slowly everything was taken over by this weed (like how it slowly was taking over the lab)

and now El managed to open a portal from the other dimension that is now covered in this stuff with this faceless creature in it and brought it into ours

The title sequence seems to be an homage to something(s) else. Is it in reverence to certain 80s title credits? I lived through the 80s, but it's hard to remember everything.

Also, it appears the title sequence is actually filmed, as they would have done it so long ago. Does anyone have any insight as to how creating it was accomplished?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm about to start watching this today.

Is it a one-off series, or will there be more seasons?

RS4-

I'm halfway through ep 8, this shit is damn fucking good.

Fucking goddamn. El with the young Portman look.

thenexus6

Three episodes done, will watch a couple more later. Really liking it. Have pretty much zero complaints so far. I love the opening titles and credits. Font and transitions are perfect.

Going in I didn't expect
alot to be revealed this early on. Like what the monster actually looks like etc. I guess there is only eight episodes so they can't hang on stuff for too long

Also buying the soundtrack ASAP, great stuff there.

Calcium

Banned
I'm halfway through the series and I have to finish it today. This series is amazing. I love everything about it so far, can't wait to finish.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Haha I am actually doing this right now. Loved it so much I'm binge watching it twice in three days

yeah, and i think it helps that everyone is so likable in the series.

and that everything mostly turns out OK.
really captures that classic 80s movie rewatchability.

yeah, and i think it helps that everyone is so likable in the series.

and that everything mostly turns out OK.
really captures that classic 80s movie rewatchability.
Does it really?
They saved Will, but Eleven is gone (or at least they think she is), Sheriff made some deal with the agency, Will isn't fine/is still connected with the other dimension, etc.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Does it really?
They saved Will, but Eleven is gone (or at least they think she is), Sheriff made some deal with the agency, Will isn't fine/is still connected with the other dimension, etc.

i mean it doesn't end on a HUGE bummer. the "core" cast is still alive, the threat has seemingly been neutralized, El is gone but the friends and family are all still together. it's positive enough for me, at least, to end the last episode and still feel pretty good.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The title sequence seems to be an homage to something(s) else. Is it in reverence to certain 80s title credits? I lived through the 80s, but it's hard to remember everything.

Also, it appears the title sequence is actually filmed, as they would have done it so long ago. Does anyone have any insight as to how creating it was accomplished?

Link.

Matt and Ross Duffer created Stranger Things, and Ross explained to IGN, “We’ve had that credit idea from the very beginning. It’s something we really wanted to do. There’s actually a designer named Richard Greenberg who designed a lot of classic movie title sequences back in the day, whether it was Goonies or Alien or Superman or Untouchables. The guy is a genius and what really defined all of that was the simplicity to it. He did Altered States too. They were sort of these titles over titles.”

Ross said they appreciated the less is more approach, noting, “What we liked about that is that so many title sequence on TV shows, they’re great, but it’s like they’re almost getting more and more elaborate. While that’s fun, as opposed to trying to one up that, I think it was important to go back like with the storytelling. What we fell in love with was the simplicity of this stuff and just going back to the simplicity of that."

XOMTOR

Bloody brilliant show. I fired up Netflix last night to see what was new and this caught my eye. Hummed and hawed for a bit but finally clicked play. Ended up watching the entire thing; didn't get to bed until after 3 AM and fell asleep with a giant grin on my face.

Qvoth

just finished it
THIS IS FUCKIN AMAZING
AU7Amsc.gif

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Just finished watching the final episode. Amazing, fucking loved it. This is the kind of shit that makes my Netflix subscription totally worth it, even when the selection is otherwise quite lacking here in Sweden. They are just kicking ass with their original content.

Season 2, please.

KAOz

Short bus special
Mr. Clark is the best.

Mr. Clark looks like Bill Watterson.

Amazing series. Just finished it. Hit all the right notes with me. Really brought out the 80s-type of horror without going into "nudge, nudge, it's the 80's see, see".
Truly amazing. And best original programming Netflix has done.

I am only 4 episodes in (been watching 2 episodes a night) and there are times when I say to myself out loud 'This show is so fucking good, wow!'

Is there a physical release planned for this? I want to share it with some people I know who don't have Netflix accounts.

Top Bottom