• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

spock

Watching this a second time, this time with my kids (ages 7 & 8). I'm giving them the heads up on anything I think is to much before it happens. There digging it. Also noticing lots of little things the second time through, not sure what they mean though...

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I finished it and I really don't see why people love it. It's ridiculously derivative, predictable, poorly written dialogue, terrible monster design and cgi.

It's like JJ Abrams made it. It has style and no substance. Basically like Super 8.

duckroll

Finished it. Pretty fun stuff. Not sure if I'm like, particularly pumped for a second season that just continues this though. I feel the story with these characters are done, and adding more would just make it feel forced. Would love to see them tackle different types of season long Weird Tales stuff with different characters and places though, even in the same continuity.

xrnzaaas

Just finished watching the whole season. It was very enjoyable, but the second season will be a brand new story (with new characters), right?

I just finished watching this and it was absolutely lovely. The 80s vibes, the Goonies vibes, the horror/mystery aspect, etc...I also thought they perfectly laid the groundwork for a second season by not being so heavy handed on the cliffhanger side. There's some open questions and things to explore and more character development to be had here.

So great. 9/10.

Just finished watching the whole season. It was very enjoyable, but the second season will be a brand new story (with new characters), right?
no

duckroll

http://www.slashfilm.com/stranger-things-shawn-levy-dan-cohen-interview/

Where do you both see this show going with the Duffers? Do they envision it as a few seasons following the same characters?

Shawn Levy: Yes. The answer is yes and yes. We definitely are hopeful to go several more seasons. And the plan is to continue with this set of characters while introducing a few critical key new ones next season. So I’ll just say that a lot of the big mysteries get answered at the end of Season 1, but we are very much kind of unearthing new problems and questions that merit future stories and future investigation in the most enjoyable way. So we are in love with our cast and our characters.

Things end up being resolved to some extent at the end of Season 1, but not entirely. And that’s why we’re so hopeful we get another few seasons to live with these people a little longer.

Hmmmmmmm....... kinda disappointed that this isn't an anthology deal. Hope they have good ideas in that case, because otherwise I fear it will just end up being a weird scifi version of a soap opera. :(

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I finished it and I really don't see why people love it. It's ridiculously derivative, predictable, poorly written dialogue, terrible monster design and cgi.

It's like JJ Abrams made it. It has style and no substance. Basically like Super 8.

Poorly written dialogue? Nah sorry, its was about as natural as it could get for a totally crazy situation. I remember having tons of conversations were incredibly similar to the ones the kids have whether it about who is whose best friend to stuff like getting in fights with your friends and being pissed at each other and not knowing how to deal with it because you're a kid. Sorry I just don't see that at all.

Matty77

Nope definitely been stated that it's a continuing thing, they specifically ended it such a way that the major questions are answered but there are threads that without closure are mysteries but with a second season gives them a jumping off point.

@Duckroll they keep referring to a renewal as a sequel not a second season so hopefully that means another attempt at a story that has a beginning, middle, and an end instead of just directly continuing right from the last scene.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Nope definitely been stated that it's a continuing thing, they specifically ended it such a way that the major questions are answered but there are threads that without closure are mysteries but with a second season gives them a jumping off point.

@Duckroll they keep referring to a renewal as a sequel not a second season so hopefully that means another attempt at a story that has a beginning, middle, and an end instead of just directly continuing right from the last scene.

Yeah they were pretty adamant it was going to be like a movie sequel and not a TV series season 2. If anything I'm hoping Netflix gives them a larger budget to go a bit more crazy and go bigger with the story, settings, etc. I'd love to see an "Alien" to "Aliens" style transition though obviously share a lot more characters and don't take it an action route. Evolve the threat, make it larger but still related to the originals. Give us new characters that expand the universe and add more variety to the situation. Give older characters larger parts like the Science teacher, and so on.

This is far, far better then Super 8. Like by miles.

Terrible monster design wtf? get out of here with that nonsense.

I guess you don't know how kids really talk around their friends? If you think the dialogue was that badly written. Me thinks you didn't come into this expecting to like it and was ready to compare to S8 regardless that's pretty clear.

Its really evident going by you're lack of any balanced argument against the show.

So here's a theory. When 11 forms the telepathic links she is traveling between the dimensions to do so, astrial projection. As she does this she is intersecting with the "upside down" and passing through it much like the pen through a paper plate analogy. Coming out close to where she needs to be to see/hear those she is supposed to spy on. As she does this more and more the creature, or one of them takes notice and sees a way out to something else. The amount of telepathic power she releases when she is spying on the Russian officer rips open the portal for the creature to come through.
From here the portal gets bigger and starts to absorb its surroundings. Areas around the lab are also affected and the creature can temporarily break free through these smaller fractures. Creature also seems to be a walking portal as he swallows Pam and Will and then end up in the upside down.
Will is also a living portal at the end, due to his exposure to the upside down. As far as 11's powers, no idea about that other then massive amounts of LSD caused her to be born with a very 'open mind'.

Same, i was surprised to see all the hate in here.

Some people here don't know how mothers would act. Especially when they have a predisposition for anxiety and have a jackass ex-husband. All the while her son is missing and weird supernatural shit is going on directly to her at the same time. Plus everyone else is convinced everything is normal, when her character knows what she saw and heard to be true even if it's hard to explain.

Her acting seem very true to the scenario. She's hysterical not because she's crazy but because none of it makes sense.

Some [eople here don't know how mothers will act, when they have a predisposition for anxiety and have a jackass husband. All the while her son is missing and weird supernatural shit is going on directly to her at the same time. Plus everyone else is convinced everything is normal, when you know what you saw and heard to be true even if it's hard to explain.

Her acting seem very true to the scenario. She's hysterical not because she's crazy but because none of it makes sense.

Her acting normal would be incredibly weird and actually very bad acting.

Matty77

So here's a theory. When 11 forms the telepathic links she is traveling between the dimensions to do so, astrial projection. As she does this she is intersecting with the "upside down" and passing through it much like the pen through a paper plate analogy. Coming out close to where she needs to be to see/hear those she is supposed to spy on. As she does this more and more the creature, or one of them takes notice and sees a way out to something else. The amount of telepathic power she releases when she is spying on the Russian officer rips open the portal for the creature to come through.
From here the portal gets bigger and starts to absorb its surroundings. Areas around the lab are also affected and the creature can temporarily break free through these smaller fractures. Creature also seems to be a walking portal as he swallows Pam and Will and then end up in the upside down.
Will is also a living portal at the end, due to his exposure to the upside down. As far as 11's powers, no idea about that other then massive amounts of LSD caused her to be born with a very 'open mind'.
Your mostly spot on except
I would say the spying and more usage led her to be aware of the creature. That's not what caused the rip. That happened when she "contacted" the creature on brenners orders and freaked out throwing out a massive burst of her powers all at once while her mind was gone but her body which she is still attached to her was in our reality, her using her powers at full blast in both places "punched" the hole like on the plate example. And that's when the creature came through, the scientist at the very beginning was the first victim.

decaf

My theory:

Prequel to Wayward Pines

Come at me bro.

Edit: I thought the special effects were great. They felt really 80s. The rotoscoping(?) made them otherworldly and ethereal.

MisterR

This is far, far better then Super 8. Like by miles.

Terrible monster design wtf? get out of here with that nonsense.

I guess you don't know how kids really talk around their friends? If you think the dialogue was that badly written. Me thinks you didn't come into this expecting to like it and was ready to compare to S8 regardless that's pretty clear.

Its really evident going by you're lack of any balanced argument against the show.

Yep the dialogue was great. Very realistic kids. As an 80's kid it rang very true, and the performances were terrific.

MisterR

Well I did watch most of this dubbed back then since I'm not from the US, so my memory is a bit hazy, but I do remember how taboo some things were, language is a given that I probably didn't get it, but things like sex and hell even divorce were no no at the time.

You're thinking of the 50's not the 80's.sex and language were, if anything, more prevalent in the 80's.

Feltrol

Banned
Just finished. What a terrific show.

giphy.gif

One quick thought:
I'm glad Steve redeemed himself, but why did Nancy stay with him? =(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Finished it. Pretty fun stuff. Not sure if I'm like, particularly pumped for a second season that just continues this though. I feel the story with these characters are done, and adding more would just make it feel forced. Would love to see them tackle different types of season long Weird Tales stuff with different characters and places though, even in the same continuity.

Yeah, I was disappointed when I searched for news regarding a second season and read an interview in which the brothers explained that they've ideas for the current crop of characters should the show continue. An anthology series would be the far better approach, and it doesn't necessarily preclude the occasional revisit, not unlike how there are a number of sequels in, say, Goosebumps.

Dalek

Up to episode 4. I feel like someone made a show precisely for me. I love every little bit of it.
Except maybe Winona. But she's less annoying with each episode.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Finished it. Loved it. Huge 80s nostalgia overload while still feeling fresh. Poor
Barbera
! Are the people hating on it kids of the 80s?

xrnzaaas

Well I guess we'll see how they'll manage to create a new chapter without turning the show into an endless soap opera. I would prefer a total reset for s02 even though I like most of the cast.

Unlikely. The ending left too many questions to be answered.

-Where is Eleven?
-What is happening to Will? Is he becoming a monster himself?
-What was the slug?
-What did the government types want with Hopper?
-Are there more research facilities out there, experimenting with human weaponization?

A lot of these could be answered by tying them in to a new case, but in the same overarching
"alternate universes"
theme of the show.

I mean they did mention that there were many
parallel worlds
, so why not explore some of those? I feel there's a lot they could do going forward.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Just finished. What a terrific show.

giphy.gif

One quick thought:
I'm glad Steve redeemed himself, but why did Nancy stay with him? =(

It would have been kind of shitty for her to just dump Steve after he proved to be a good guy but that look she gave at the end seems like there's still something between her and what's his name. We'll probably have a bigger love triangle between them if there's a season 2.

Just finished it. Loved it. I cannot really fault it in any major way. They get the era almost perfect. The cast were uniformly believable and wonderful to watch.

It would have been kind of shitty for her to just dump Steve after he proved to be a good guy but that look she gave at the end seems like there's still something between her and what's his name. We'll probably have a bigger love triangle between them if there's a season 2.
Agreed.

The story is really built for more seasons, it's already like an elongated Steven King movie, they could just channel "It" but with a smaller time jump to feature different time periods in the kids lives.

I love this show but it drives me absolutely batshit how they can never EVER frame a face right in those plastic hazmat suits. They're ALWAYS a little off to the side.

COME ON, DUFFER.

Zaventem

i don't get it either tbh

The
loser gets the girl trope
is so played out. Yes
Steve joined his friends in shaming her but he apologized and made up for it, guy even put himself in danger when he didn't know a fucking thing about the creature.
I would have the same brute mentality if some
sneak fuck took pics of my gf in a bush then I see him in her bedroom

The
loser gets the girl trope
is so played out. Yes
Steve joined his friends in shaming her but he apologized and made up for it, guy even put himself in danger when he didn't know a fucking thing about the creature.
I would have the same brute mentality if some
sneak fuck took pics of my gf in a bush then I see him in her bedroom

I'm surprised GAF is so quick to forgive Jonathan for being a creep.

Top Bottom