• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

Elandyll

Banned
this isn't an adaptation of anything tho

unless you're specifically talking about how it the miniseries is an adaptation of the novel
Yes
I was merely pre emptively answering the "But IT's miniseries was from the 90s!" reaction, as it is adapted from an 80's novel.
Same for The Mist really, adapted much later,
but I just meant this list as an inspirational watch list :)

I will shamelessly take advantage of having top o' the page to try and clarify a few things/ answer a few questions I've seen lately.

About El
Her mother was part of an experimental program, while she was a college student and needing an extra buck, called MK Ultra (real one too, just not quite the same irl), where the US government would try to chemically enhance/ produce ESPs: Telekinesy, Telepathy, etc. All that since WW2 and the 50's, in order to "fight the commies".

Ideally, the drugs would result in a person having the ability to read minds at a distance (spying), and perhaps even cause aneurisms (assassinating) without trace.

What they didn't know at the time was that El's mother was pregnant, and the drugs apparently reached the foetus. When realizing this, the gov/ Dr Brenner apparently took advantage of complications to deliver the baby 3 months before term and told the family the baby was dead. The mother never believed them and caused problems, until at some point she somehow became "chemically lobotomized" (assumed, as she is now in a semi vegetative state).
From there, we know that El was raised by Dr Brenner at The Company, calling him Papa, and had to go through increasingly difficult ordeals and experiments in order to finally realize the goal of MK Ultra. It is to be noted that El's name, "Eleven", would indicate the existence of 10 other "subjects", past or present.

During a new kind of experiment supposed to extend El's powers to reach across continents, she was placed in a sensory deprivation chamber. While trying to focus on reaching across space, she ends up partially crossing inside another dimension, just not physically (hence why she doesn't fully see it, just a sea of blackness).

During that experiment, she becomes aware that something else if there, a something that can also sense her, and she freaks out.
Brenner is very interested in the possibilities which are either another dimension or a parallel representation of our own world allowing possibly El to interact physically at a distance, so he has her doing the test again, with this time the goal to "touch" whatever it is she will find in this mental construction ("making contact").
She then sees the monster for the first time (it is feeding), and when she tries to touch it, it reacts and she panics, lashing out with her power at full force.

Is it the contact with the creature, or using her power while mentally in the Upside Down that created the basement portal? It is unknown. But the portal was created.
From there, we know the creature crossed through (killing at least 1 scientist as seen in episode 1, probably more), escaped into the surrounding woods (but by then the creature had gained the ability to create its own portals, as seen with the tree or walls in Will's house in other episodes) and during the confusion El escaped, eventually using a drain pipe to go in the forest.

About the creature and the ending
What we know is that the creature is attracted by blood (the more the better), that it can come and go pretty much at will between the UD and our reality since it crossed over, that while in the UD its "near presence" affects electric current in our reality. The creature is incredibly resilient at least while in our world, shrugging off dozens of bullets, but blunt force trauma might work better (bat with nails), and a bear trap was able to both hurt it and immobilize it for a bit, forcing it to cross back. The creature seems to be able to secrete a mucus/ slime that hardens, and has a chemical trace, possibly toxic to some degree (the UD itself has an atmosphere that is relatively toxic to humans, and an air filled with something akin to spores.) We also know that it drags its victims in the UD before feeding there, or doing "something else" to them. The "something else" is debatable, but it has been seen with Barbara whose body did not seem damaged from the outside, but seemingly being consumed from the inside by a large slug type monster. Will himself had a long slug attached to his mouth an going down to his stomach, the last scene with him coughing out a small slug hinting that the thing was possibly laying egg(s) inside him.

Did he then hallucinate his vision of the Upside Down, or was he really able to cross for a second? I would venture that given what we know he actually hallucinated (who would blame him?) because of 2 reasons:

1) Physically crossing requires a "portal". The creature used the basement portal, a portal created in a tree, or walls. Physical elements transformed into crossing mediums.
Will just blinked in and out in his "vision".

2) Mentally crossing (what El was doing) does not allow you to see your entire environment. Just the things you focus on. The first time, El couldn't see anything. The second time, for the contact, El was focusing on the monster, and she saw it. When focusing on Will she saw him inside his cabin. Back early on, when focusing on a Russian target, she saw only him, etc.
The thing being: Will saw his entire room and environment change to look like the UD - except, if I remember well, no spores.

So, maybe he did gain some form of immunity (having spent a week in the UD and nearly dying there), but able to blink in and out? That would seem unlikely.

Sorry for the sea of blackness, we are now
in a sensory deprivation chamber.

xrnzaaas

I've only seen 2 eps so far, but I like it. And, wow, a show with children that aren't annoying. What annoys me (a little bit) is some parts of the soundtrack which seem to be from the 80s version of Mr Robot. ;)

kris.

Banned
I've only seen 2 eps so far, but I like it. And, wow, a show with children that aren't annoying. What annoys me (a little bit) is some parts of the soundtrack which seem to be from the 80s version of Mr Robot. ;)

that's what i love about it. it's straight 80s synthy shit and it rules.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

You mean Mr. Robot was emulating an 80's moody synth score more like. It hardly invented that kind of soundtrack and John Carpenter was a huge influence on the show and many of his 80's classics were filled with moody synth. Both shows far better for it and I'd love to hear that kind of score come back into fashion even in part.

Raptor

This is the Super 8 Super 8 wishes it were.

Thank you, my post was going to be about this exactly.

Super 8 is just plain bad when you compared to this, every single kid I mean main kid in this show are so freaking good, specially EL for me she was the best of the show even if she almost didnt talked, she is awesome.

This series just went to my Top 3 easily, up there with Lost, Breaking Bad and stuff like that.

I really hope El comes back, I was sad as all hell when I saw her dissapear :(

Valhelm

contribute something
This show really exceeded my expectations, but did anybody else think 11 was Will for the entire first episode?

HStallion

I'm surprised people haven't been harder on Winona's acting. She was definitely the weak link in the whole thing. Every kid out-acted her.

We've been over it. Some people don't like it but I've known real life mothers who make her looked restrained over far smaller matters than a child's disappearance/abduction. So the fact she was hysterical in parts, which the show does give context to, and is still proactive in finding her son in the face of disbelief from all fronts was pretty damn spot on for myself.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
78HaIsV.jpg

That is awesome. Spoiler picture, so don't click if you haven't seen the whole season.

HStallion

78HaIsV.jpg

That is awesome. Spoiler picture, so don't click if you haven't seen the whole season.

Haha someone gives a shit about
Barb
Where is this?

Also spoiler tags don't work on mobile for pictures.

2) Mentally crossing (what El was doing) does not allow you to see your entire environment. Just the things you focus on. The first time, El couldn't see anything. The second time, for the contact, El was focusing on the monster, and she saw it. When focusing on Will she saw him inside his cabin. Back early on, when focusing on a Russian target, she saw only him, etc.
The thing being: Will saw his entire room and environment change to look like the UD - except, if I remember well, no spores.

El was able to see small areas, like the fort. I'm going to say the bathroom wasn't much bigger than that.

Plus the kid spent a week in the other dimension. We don't really know the rules when it comes to him. He literally has things from the other dimension in his body.

It could very well just be his memory of the other side. He spend some time in his house there.

Elandyll

Banned
Guys, fix the spoiler brackets...

El was able to see small areas, like the fort. I'm going to say the bathroom wasn't much bigger than that.

Plus the kid spent a week in the other dimension. We don't really know the rules when it comes to him. He literally has things from the other dimension in his body.

For the fort, yeah I mention that
because it's the place where Will is laying down and the kids probably mentionned that to El as a possible location for Will to hide (as he has not been in his house for a while), and she probably focused on the location as well as Will, so still internally consistent.

Not saying Will -can't possibly- blink in and out, just that with what we've seen laid out, it's more likely he had a vision or hallucination.
Now is it possible something changed in his body after his ordeal and allowing for new "rules"? Yes, absolutely, we just don't know for now.

NolbertoS

Bing watched all 8 episodes iver 2 days. Love the show and its honage to ET and Stephen King 80's movies like Firestarter and Tommy Knockers. The series finale was great and I can't wait to see what Season 2 has in store.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Winona definitely had some moments where I thought to myself, "was that really their best take?".

Finished, with a few skips.
Meh plot...
Stereotypical characters which is a step down from other Netflix originals.
Ok horror.
Good music.
Great cast, Winona Ryder is ACE.

lol

The best part of this show was reading hurricanes' post as he tried to justify skipping parts of an episode.

UrbanRats

Finished.
Around ep3 or 4 i got hooked.
It was a really fun show, if a bit predictable as far as character development goes, at times.

Also, as a fan of Silent Hill, i really liked
that double overlapping dimension approach.
I wish they hadn't
shown the monster at all, my only real complaint, because it looked very bland in design.

Just finished the season last night, I loved every minute of it! Great cast, including 'Ryd'er die', since I've seen a lot of complaints about her around the internet. Love the Carpenter references as well, payin' homage to the master of horror!

mantidor

I bing-watched the whole thing overnight without having a clue about it, I was in love. I felt a little bit underwhelmed by the resolution but I'm still amazed they pulled off three different genres wrapped in an 80s love letter. I love how even the opening seems to be a homage to V the series.

It's stricking how times have changed, as far as I remember something like kids saying "fag" to each other or a teenager nonchalantly admitting to her mother she slept with someone was simply unheard of in a movie (for kids and teenagers anyway). But there really was no problem in kids wandering alone for hours and even encouraging this in most movies, something that now its the thing that's unheard of.

TimFL

Just can't get myself to start this show. It reminds me of that Super 8 flick which I despise because I am just not interested in stories with kids playing major parts.

Any non-spoilery impressions I can read through?

HStallion

Just can't get myself to start this show. It reminds me of that Super 8 flick which I despise because I am just not interested in stories with kids playing major parts.

You should watch the Wire and realize how wrong this sounds.

Edit: Just read through this thread a few pages and you'll get a pretty good idea why this is being so well received and a lot of it has to do with the kid actors who are all around great.

The focus isn't solely on the kids, really, there are plenty of strong characters besides them. Super 8 can't even touch this series imo.

Finished. Man, I loved that show. But wtf at the loose ends :(

They got greenlit for a second season!

Fritz

The focus isn't solely on the kids, really, there are plenty of strong characters besides them. Super 8 can't even touch this series imo.

They got greenlit for a second season!

Yeah, loved the kids.

I know it got a 2. season but I am one of the guys that was hoping for a new setting. The wonder was a major appeal of this. I'ld guess it will be lost in a second season that just takes off where season 1 left.

Just started this, just about to finish the second episode (baby woke up and my wife is busy) but I'm absolutely loving this so far. The music is great, as is the atmosphere. They nail it, I feel like it has achieved what Super 8 tried but failed miserably at.

Dabanton

If you really don't like kids playing major roles, Then this show is not for you.

Shame, as it's an awesome show. And the kids are great as well.

Phatmac

Finished this show and man was it good. Loved the vibe and soundtrack. It honestly felt like a Carpenter film with the music. I was surprised by Nancy's bf arc. It felt mature with most shows treating him like a dick, but this show treated his development differently to how I imagined. What happened to Barb? Honestly don't remember due to how inconsequential her character was to the whole show.

El Topo

What happened to Barb? Honestly don't remember due to how inconsequential her character was to the whole show.

Spoilers for the entire show:
As you may recall, she got taken into the other world by the monster. As she tried to climb out of the pool, she got dragged back. Eleven later confirms she is dead and we see her corpse, where some giant slug crawls out of her mouth (iirc).

Phatmac

Spoilers for the entire show:
As you may recall, she got taken into the other world by the monster. As she tried to climb out of the pool, she got dragged back. Eleven later confirms she is dead and we see her corpse, where some giant slug crawls out of her mouth (iirc).
Really?
Surprised we didn't have a funeral scene for her. It's strange how they didn't tackle her death as a subject in the show.

HStallion

Really?
Surprised we didn't have a funeral scene for her. It's strange how they didn't tackle her death as a subject in the show.

Its made to look like she's run away by Brenner and company and that's why no one believes Nancy.

El Topo

Really?

Well,
other than Nancy people are not entirely sure if something happened to her, nor do they have a body.

Its made to look like she's run away by Brenner and company and that's why no one believes Nancy.

Also this. After all,
they make her car disappear, to make it look like she ran away.

I just wanted to say, as someone with one episode left, thank you for protecting me from spoilers. Also it feels a bit like I'm reading secret Redacted papers or something.

I'm surprised people haven't been harder on Winona's acting. She was definitely the weak link in the whole thing. Every kid out-acted her.
She wasn't too bad in most scenes but there were a few scenes in the first few eps which were DREADFUL. I don't get why that happened.

Anyway, just finished it tonight. Really enjoyed it overall but SPOILER
Barb's death was dumb and pointless imo, and it's a bit of a reach that Will managed to survive when she didn't
. Also,
the sequel b8 is real
!

Edit: and yeah I agree it's dumb how the
Barb plot line is dropped. Nobody really mentions her all that much, no-one seems to care or even mourn her. Kinda fucked up

mantidor

She wasn't too bad in most scenes but there were a few scenes in the first few eps which were DREADFUL. I don't get why that happened.

Anyway, just finished it tonight. Really enjoyed it overall but SPOILER
Barb's death was dumb and pointless imo, and it's a bit of a reach that Will managed to survive when she didn't
. Also,
the sequel b8 is real
!

Edit: and yeah I agree it's dumb how the
Barb plot line is dropped. Nobody really mentions her all that much, no-one seems to care or even mourn her. Kinda fucked up

well apparently Will escaped the monster while in the upside down and kept on hiding, while Barb was cocooned almost immediately after being dragged down. Will was cocooned at the last moment.

Everyone bought into the runaway story for Barb so it's why only Nancy is mourning her.

Valhelm

contribute something
The episode 4 scene where the
agent enters the membrane
really owes a debt to the SCP foundation.

The whole hazmat suit/cable thing is way too similar to SCP-093 to be coincidence alone.

Started and finished today, very good show, really enjoyed it, only complaint is
I would preferred to be self-contained, usually with a season 2 there's the risk to ruin everything. I know it's not confirmed, but they left stuff for a potential season 2 and seeing the success I guess it will be one

well apparently Will escaped the monster while in the upside down and kept on hiding, while Barb was cocooned almost immediately after being dragged down. Will was cocooned at the last moment.

Everyone bought into the runaway story for Barb so it's why only Nancy is mourning her.
Hmm... It still seems a little weak imo. Also idk why Nancy wouldn't then tell everyone what actually happened.
Started and finished today, very good show, really enjoyed it, only complaint is
I would preferred to be self-contained, usually with a season 2 there's the risk to ruin everything. I know it's not confirmed, but they left stuff for a potential season 2 and seeing the success I guess it will be one
I agree,
there was a lot left open and I hate sequel teases which are so big and juicy because a sequel should never be taken as a given when telling stories
. At least imo.

HStallion

Hmm... It still seems a little weak imo. Also idk why Nancy wouldn't then tell everyone what actually happened.

I agree,
there was a lot left open and I hate sequel teases which are so big and juicy because a sequel should never be taken as a given when telling stories
. At least imo.

Joyce spilled the beans on the whole thing after getting Will back. To your second point the creators wrote the show knowing they might never get a second season so they accounted for that in the ending

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
This show has set a new standard for kid actors. Man, they were great!

And that curly hair kid was awesome. I was practically high fiving my girlfriend every time he had a scene.

HStallion

I don't see it :p seems the left a lot on the table, at least imo.

They said they left some things hanging but they had a story with a beginning middle and end that they wanted to tell with its own self contained plot, characters and so forth. They have an interview where they said they didn't want this to be a show that ends of a cliff hanger and that all the things left unresolved were meant to be up to interpretation. They most likely are going to get a second season at this point and they said they want to treat it like a movie sequel which I'm guessing means it won't be a direct continuation of where season 1 left off. Maybe down the road a few years or perhaps with a different set of characters and some cross over. Who knows but I'm guessing they'll continue the ideas and expand on the world from the first season.

Top Bottom