• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 6 has sold 4 million units worldwide

Draugoth

Gold Member
We're excited to announce that Street Fighter 6 has sold over 4 million units globally!
🎉
Thank you for playing and for helping us reach this milestone! We hope you're excited for the future of SF6 as we intend to release more content and hold more events!

Hookshot

Gold Member
Put your characters into a game that sells over 30 million copies, don’t release your game on the same console as that, don’t sell close to 30 million copies. :messenger_open_mouth:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Yeah it deserves more really. I recently got back in the world tour mode and it's pretty great the further you get into it.

I was also thinking how SF2 is one of those special games that just nailed it the first go. Street fighter one doesn't count it was a different team, but SF2 was so perfect that it's still the basis for street fighter today and still the best characters.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Yeah...a quarter of a B is great number!

Game is fantastic and their community support has been stellar for the title.

Last edited:
Deserves much more. It's such a fantastic fighting game. And that netcode is top of the class!!
Just 4 million a year after release? The game definitely deserves to sell 10+ million. Tekken 8 sold 2 million copies in its first month alone. MK1 has sold nearly 3 million copies in less than two months.

But the guys at Capcom seem to be pretty pleased about it. So, I guess it should be Ok.

Personally, I have been a SF/Tekken fan since childhood, three decades ago. So, I bought them both - SF6 and T8 - as the characters bring nostalgia to me.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
A switch 2 port AT LAUNCH would sell gang busters.

I bet it gets like a RE8 port instead 😒

Last edited:
Put your characters into a game that sells over 30 million copies, don’t release your game on the same console as that, don’t sell close to 30 million copies. :messenger_open_mouth:

They're waiting for Switch 2 before bringing it to a Nintendo system, that should be obvious.

Anyway this is really good numbers and we need to stop thinking games that don't do Black Myth Wukong/TOTK/COD/Elden Ring/Hogwarts/GOW etc. numbers are failures. That's such a limited perspective on game sales to have.

Though, I will also point out the games media giving SF6 its deserved props for sales success, yet they rushed to call FF XVI a sales failure when it did 3.4 million in a few weeks and probably reached 4 million many months ahead of SF6 despite being on one platform.

Then again we know why the games media pushed that narrative for FF XVI (SE sure played right into it though, and SIE were meek as usual in telling them to stop the FUD).

Just 4 million a year after release? The game definitely deserves to sell 10+ million. Tekken 8 sold 2 million copies in its first month alone. MK1 has sold nearly 3 million copies in less than two months.

But the guys at Capcom seem to be pretty pleased about it. So, I guess it should be Ok.

Personally, I have been a SF/Tekken fan since childhood, three decades ago. So, I bought them both as the charaters bring nostalgia to me.

You have a very skewed POV on game sales, letting the top 1% performers in the market set yours expectations for the other 99% of titles on the market.

Last edited:
You have a very skewed POV on game sales, letting the top 1% performers in the market set yours expectations for the other 99% of titles on the market.

My POV was based on EVO tournaments where SF attracts the most members and viewers as compared to Tekken and MK.

MC score of SF is also better than Tekken 8 and MK1.

So, I am a bit surprized MK and Tekken surpassed SF in sales.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
My POV was based on EVO tournaments where SF attracts the most members and viewers as compared to Tekken and MK.

MC score of SF is also better than Tekken 8 and MK1.

So, I am a bit surprized MK and Tekken surpassed SF in sales.

FGC popularity =\= sales. MK and to a lesser degree Tekken attract a large casual audience who just wanna play through the story and chuckle at the fatalities.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
And they said SFV sales was because it was exclusive and yet...
Love to see a platform split

Yamisan

I just happened to be reinstalling it at this very second, such great timing to come across this thread. 4 million since launch is horrible for Street Fighter honestly. I got the game at launch, only 3 hours into story mode. I can't remember why I dropped it as I was having fun. Either a RPG came out around the same time that pulled me away or IRL happened.

I have almost 400 hours in SF6
Around 50 of that is world tour mode tho
I’m terrible at the game and never practice consistently enough to git gud, and I rarely stick with 1 character for long, but whatever. I just like playing for fun these days. I’m too old now to take it too seriously anymore. Ahhh, miss those college days hahahaahaha

amigastar

I have almost 400 hours in SF6
Around 50 of that is world tour mode tho
I’m terrible at the game and never practice consistently enough to git gud, and I rarely stick with 1 character for long, but whatever. I just like playing for fun these days. I’m too old now to take it too seriously anymore. Ahhh, miss those college days hahahaahaha
Exactly, thats my playstyle also these days.
I have 71 hours in Street Fighter V i know not much but i think i will play Street Fighter VI again some time but like you said no pressure.

Paltheos

Cool. The game's great. It's got a long way to go to catch up to SF4's and 5's lifetime sales, but hopefully it can keep it up. Imo this is the best Street Fighter has ever been.

It looks about a thousand times better SF5. That game was ugly and looked too similar to 4.
At least 6 has its own identity and look. SF6 is also one of my favorite looking versions of Ryu, Chun, and Cammy

Yeah, I don't get the take. SF6 looks great, leagues better than 5. Could you be specific, Pejo Pejo ?

amigastar

What keeps me from playing, i don't like the Artstyle of the game, way to realistic.
I mean i would be cool with it if Capcom would make a Guilty Gear Strive type of Artstyle for SF Alpha 4.

Yamisan

Yeah, not sure why some folks are disappointed by these numbers.

This is better than Tekken, MK etc easily.
Mk1 came last Sept and reached over 4 mill last month, SF6 just caught up and came out before it. MK11 also outsold MK1.

Last edited:

aclar00

Never thought id say this, but i miss the Capcom that released multiple disk editions of games. Ive skipped 6 partly for this reason (and the demo feeling too much like 5 as opposed to 4).

I dont want to buy the game 2 years after release only to have to spend a year to grind fucking characters.

yurinka

As reference, as of June 30th 2024 the LTD sales are:
  • Street Fighter V 7.6M
  • Street Fighter IV 3.6M
  • Ultra Street Fighter IV 2.2M
  • Super Street Fighter IV 1.9M
  • Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition 1.2M
  • SFIV+SSFIV+SSFIVAE = 8.9M
But saying SFIV sold 8.9M would be counting multiple times the players who got the different SFIV game versions, when in SFV or SF6 are only counted once because they are only game updates of the same single SFV/SF6 game SKU available.

Even if doing that, launch aligned this is the time they took to reach 4M players:
  • SF6 15 months (was released in June 2, 2023, 4M have been announced today)
  • SFV 46 months (achieved 4.1M in December 31, 2019)
  • SFIV 16 months (assuming it was achieved in the June 30, 2010 report thanks to the SSFIV release late April 2010. That report isn't stored in the Wayback Machine. WBM has stored March 31, 2010 -was 2.9M- and in September 30, 2010 was 2.9M for SFIV and 1.4M for SSIV)
So SF6 is selling faster than SFIV and SFV even if the SFV and SF6 players aren't being counted multiple times for getting a"Super" or similar update/rerelease (still no available "Super" edition for SF6) as happened at this time launch aligned fo SFIV.

It is also worth mentioning that SFV was console exclusive, unlike SF6 or the SFIV series. So it was more difficult for that series to sell beyond the issues it had on its rocky launch.

Never thought id say this, but i miss the Capcom that released multiple disk editions of games. Ive skipped 6 partly for this reason (and the demo feeling too much like 5 as opposed to 4).

I dont want to buy the game 2 years after release only to have to spend a year to grind fucking characters.
In the leaked Capcom roadmap it was mentioned that Capcom plans to re-release SF6 with codenamed "Super SF6" and "Ultra SF6" editions. But pretty likely as they did in SFV, these editions would be the same game SKU with some DLC code.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

All those attempts to streamline and culturally "adjust" these games all just to be met with the same sales figures as previous entries. Maybe these games should just play to their strengths instead of desperately gunning for non-fighting game fans with trashy new character designs and gameplay mechanics?

Seems like only Guilty Gear has expanded substantially on its base audience this gen, and that by just improving what the series already excels at. Capcom loves to brag endlessly about its tournament turnouts but that seems to have little impact on overall popularity.

Hookshot

Gold Member
. Capcom loves to brag endlessly about its tournament turnouts but that seems to have little impact on overall popularity.
If anything that might be what’s hurting it. If it’s seen as too serious or only for Pros the casual masses that play Mk, Tekken and Smash might be wary to get involved.

To anyone old enough SF is iconic, the SNES days through to 3 were crazy. 4 actually got a lot of people in my friend group playing it again but it seems since that little resurgence the wider world hasn’t really cared for it

Top Bottom