• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerojul

I'd really like to have more info on the extra battles and daily challenges at this point. A launch window of some sort would be nice.

KingBroly

Banned
I'd really like to have more info on the extra battles and daily challenges at this point. A launch window of some sort would be nice.

What the hell are Extra Battles?

And Daily Challenges were leaked onto Event Hubs around launch. It's basically a chore list.

Zerojul

Wow. This sounds interesting. I hope it's similar to the Dramatic Battle mode back in Alpha 3. Love the 2P vs 1 AI mode.
I don't think it will be this kind of fights, rather a SP vs CPU with special opponents and/or conditions. But there really ain't much detail about this mode and just those pics that I know of:
160212_challengemode_img03.jpg
Chun-li vs what could be a "boss mode" dic a la Zero 3 and Ryu vs some shadaloo goon.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Does anybody know what Cammy says in the win pose where she crosses her arms?

Hm? Which one? When she's tired because she has little life left?
In Japanese or English?
I don't remember off the top of my head, but give me some footage and I'll tell you.

Guile's stage looks good at a glance but..... ummmm.... it needs work..... That WSO Sessions presentation for Guile doesn't really make his stage look all that good.... It's so static and boring.

I love that it's more 'static' than some of the other stages. Rather a stage be static than have all those buffoonish, poorly animated, distracting NPCs.

What the hell are Extra Battles?

And Daily Challenges were leaked onto Event Hubs around launch. It's basically a chore list.

What did you expect them to be? They are functional without being so obtuse that they won't play into your personal leveling up.

Like canceling a normal into a CA is some shit that you should know and have down. If you are already at a point where it's easy knowledge, some execution practice isn't going to hurt.

Asking people to noodle each other is going to lead to people focusing on extraneous things and throwing matches to get some FM.

The Alex reveal must have been one of the worst character reveal processes ever. So strange that they'd miss two near 100K viewer reveals and they'd get beaten to the punch by fan trailers.

More worrying than that is the fact that all this free stuff still isn't helping sales. I mean, anyone who owns the game right now has free access to the DLC characters, their trials, challenges, story modes, survival modes and all the fight money that accompanies this access, but people still aren't buying. I don't even see how the inevitable (and rightful to be fair) locking of content is supposed to improve things.

Ominous
do you work in retail and know how many units it currently shipped? Or are you basing this "no one is buying" off of NPD sales results?

KingBroly

Banned
What did you expect them to be? They are functional without being so obtuse that they won't play into your personal leveling up.

Like canceling a normal into a CA is some shit that you should know and have down. If you are already at a point where it's easy knowledge, some execution practice isn't going to hurt.

Asking people to noodle each other is going to lead to people focusing on extraneous things and throwing matches to get some FM.

I expect them to be out already because we've known about them for so long.

I love that Guile seems to retain his wall of normals. St.HP, F.HP, St.MK, St.HK, F.HK, St.MK, F./B.MK, Cr.HP, Cr.MP.
people keep talking about Ryu and birdie but the real wall is now here.

EDIT: I just realized that I can fucking destroy Necalli with Guile. My demon is soon to be vanquished.

EDIT2: It'll really be like the unstoppable force fighting the immovable object.

The game launched for $60 with barely any content. Still paltry even with the current "free" content. Capcom is going to have to do something drastic if it wants people to buy it.
S2 Cody, Q and Makoto DLC will boost sales to the heavens.
do you work in retail and know how many units it currently shipped? Or are you basing this "no one is buying" off of NPD sales results?
Not a single shred of data from Europe, Japan, steamspy or NPD points to healthy sales. I don't want to come off as combative (cuz you are a well mannered guy), but I've seen you in sales threads and I know nothing will change your mind about this game on any sort of level.

Are all the sales statistics we've been getting involved PSN sales?

We've gotten retail estimates for PS4 and digital estimates for Steam but the digital market is also not to be ignored.

Zerojul

I think we can all agree on the fact that the more the Zenny shop is delayed the more they lose potential income. It's cool that Alex and Guile are free for everyone but it really doesn't help the economic health of the game, even if most players have enough FM by now to get them for free anyway.
I guess they must have real trouble getting it to work satisfyingly to endure a 2 months+ delay like that.

I think we can all agree on the fact that the more the Zenny shop is delayed the more they lose potential income. It's cool that Alex and Guile are free for everyone but it really doesn't help the economic health of the game, even if most players have enough FM by now to get them for free anyway.
I guess they must have real trouble getting it to work satisfyingly to endure a 2 months+ delay like that.
I at least admire the fact that they're playing it safe and want to release it when it's good and ready since this is more of the consumer's money at stake.

Shito

I feel like at the moment only European players are playing Laura "properly": I don't think any Japanese pro really gave her a chance, and every American Laura I see on stream is playing sloppy and not maximizing damage / vtrigger usage / resets.
She's clearly not as straight-forward and easy to use as some other characters, but I feel like she's the one people sleep on the most.

Related: https://twitter.com/HiFightTH/status/723125211424428032

We've only seen Mister Crimson once at Cannes playing Laura and that was week one. The only other EU Laura player (that's going to tournaments) is Will2Pac who's really good.

Laura has a lot of faults and the more I use other characters the more I realize how flawed she is in different aspects.

There's a reason every top player who said they'd main her or did main her dropped her lol

Pompadour

Are all the sales statistics we've been getting involved PSN sales?

We've gotten retail estimates for PS4 and digital estimates for Steam but the digital market is also not to be ignored.

We won't know for sure how well SFV did until Capcom's fiscal year report in May but nothing points to this game being successful so far. SFV could be a UMvC3 type deal where the reported numbers were drastically lower (UMvC3 was rumored to not break 30k at launch when it actually did around 600k) but that's likely wishful thinking.

LakeEarth

It feels like there's one guy in charge of adding all these features. There's all this stuff in the pipeline that keeps getting pushed back, and it's baffling. The stats page still doesn't work!

Skilletor

Made it to Ultra Silver last night.

I thought gold was 5k LP, but I'm wrong, so I'll probably make gold tonight. :)

All personal goals after sucking in SF4 and never being able to make it above 2000bp/pp.

I struggled with (and hated) that game so much.

Shito

We've only seen Mister Crimson once at Cannes playing Laura and that was week one. The only other EU Laura player (that's going to tournaments) is Will2Pac who's really good.

Laura has a lot of faults and the more I use other characters the more I realize how flawed she is in different aspects.

There's a reason every top player who said they'd main her or did main her dropped her lol
GinoDacampo is going to Stunfest apparently.
And it's a shame vryu can't regularly attend tournaments. ^^

It feels like there's one guy in charge of adding all these features. There's all this stuff in the pipeline that keeps getting pushed back, and it's baffling. The stats page still doesn't work!
The game is obviously running on a very low budget. :/
And probably even more so now that they didn't quite get the sales they expected...

mbpm1

people keep talking about Ryu and birdie but the real wall is now here.

EDIT: I just realized that I can fucking destroy Necalli with Guile. My demon is soon to be vanquished.

EDIT2: It'll really be like the unstoppable force fighting the immovable object.

Can i destroy FANG with Guile tho

Isaccard

Are you guys just pulling speculation out of the air or do you have something the support your statements?

Just curious

Can i destroy FANG with Guile tho
YEP. If he tries to spam his poison balls and v-skill, you stay a full screen away and jump over the projectiles.

He tries to dash in, fuck him up.

He tries to jump in, fuck him up.

FANG is at an almost constant disadvantage in that matchup.

EDIT: I also just realized that you were probably asking rhetorically. Oh well, maybe it'll help some poor Guile player who isn't aware of how to beat the Fucking . Annoying . New . Guy

Zerojul

The game is obviously running on a very low budget. :/
And probably even more so now that they didn't quite get the sales they expected...
Absolutely and that's a vicious circle that will have to break... eventually.
I hope it's because sales and revenue pick up because of the new content, not because there's no new content anymore because of the poor sales...

Anyway I'll stop with the negative shit now.

mbpm1

YEP. If he tries to spam his poison balls and v-skill, you stay a full screen away and jump over the projectiles.

He tries to dash in, fuck him up.

He tries to jump in, fuck him up.

FANG is at an almost constant disadvantage in that matchup.

EDIT: I also just realized that you were probably asking rhetorically. Oh well, maybe it'll help some poor Guile player who isn't aware of how to beat the Fucking . Annoying . New . Guy

I'm just salty bc I had some close sets against a Gold FANG yesterday lol

losing 3-2 is worse than getting stomped lol

The amount of points you lose if you rank somebody down then lose the rematch is disheartening.
Focus on the match more than the points. I can't get salty about points if my opponent beat me fair and square.

Though this makes ragequits even more annoying since it was a close and fair match yet the opponent couldn't even have the decency to take the L.
I'm just salty bc I had some close sets against a Gold FANG yesterday lol

losing 3-2 is worse than getting stomped lol
If you play an aggresive character that has no fireballs and isn't Necalli, FANG has a slightly better chance against you. Just stay a full screen away and make the FANG come to you and do what I outlined in my previous posts.

If he doesn't fall for that, get in his face and when you get there, STAY THE FUCK THERE. Fang only has the two good wakeup options, the V-Reversal and the EX dash. Both of them you can throw him out of.

Also don't try to do a non-EX dp on wakeup if he plants a trap on the ground and then is jumping to your other side. The autocorrect won't work and you'll be fucked.

If you have a 3-frame jab, do it constantly after his st.HK. It's the only move he has that's +1 and at worst, you'll trade. At best, you get a counter-hit.

Also his cr.mk is +2 and his coward's crouch is +2. That's it. Everything else is negative (except for lights ofcourse).

EDIT: And Fang can really punish the bulldog style of approaching i.e slowly walking forward while being to ready to block if they do anything.

FANG is one of those unique characters where the matchup feels more like you need to figure out the character more than the player.

If you play an aggresive character that has no fireballs and isn't Necalli, FANG has a slightly better chance against you. Just stay a full screen away and make the FANG come to you and do what I outlined in my previous posts.

If he doesn't fall for that, get in his face and when you get there, STAY THE FUCK THERE. Fang only has the two good wakeup options, the V-Reversal and the EX dash. Both of them you can throw him out of.

Also don't try to do a non-EX dp on wakeup if he plants a trap on the ground and then is jumping to your other side. The autocorrect won't work and you'll be fucked.

If you have a 3-frame jab, do it constantly after his st.HK. It's the only move he has that's +1 and at worst, you'll trade. At best, you get a counter-hit.

Also his cr.mk is +2 and his coward's crouch is +2. That's it. Everything else is negative (except for lights ofcourse).

EDIT: And Fang can really punish the bulldog style of approaching i.e slowly walking forward while being to ready to block if they do anything.

If you're Dhalsim and are up against a FANG, cry a lot.

Seriously, talk about an incredibly frustrating match up. It's so strange how they made FANG this sort of medium range zoning character and everything he does either just beats out Sim or is just plain faster.

mbpm1

I play Vega and I use the slow walking forward method a lot. Had trouble with his cr. mk or st. mp into sotoja combos a lot. He never was dumb enough to throw bad fireballs too so it was difficult.

He also managed to always guess right on his wakeup so I was flummoxed and ended up jumping into cr. hp a lot.

I could definitely beat him since we went 2-3, 3-2, 2-3 but it was annoying.

Since st. lk is Vega's 3 frame option he could also beat me after st. rh by pressing a low button too IIRC so I had to take some stuff.

If you're Dhalsim and are up against a FANG, cry a lot.

Seriously, talk about an incredibly frustrating match up. It's so strange how they made FANG this sort of medium range zoning character and everything he does either just beats out Sim or is just plain faster.
This is true though. The one matchup where FANG can dominate is the dhalsim matchup. Literally every thing he has almost functions like a direct-counter to some of Dhalsim's abilities.

Dhalsim needs to play more patiently in this matchup (
not something Dhalsim players are accustomed to eh-oohhhhh
) and only teleport in response to FANG.

Also try not to throw your fireball unless it's an EX one.

And use your V-reversal more instead of saving for V-Trigger since FANG has both his V-Reversal and his EX dash to get out of the flame carpet.
I play Vega and I use the slow walking forward method a lot. Had trouble with his cr. mk or st. mp into sotoja combos a lot. He never was dumb enough to throw bad fireballs too so it was difficult.

He also managed to always guess right on his wakeup so I was flummoxed and ended up jumping into cr. hp a lot.

I could definitely beat him since we went 2-3, 3-2, 2-3 but it was annoying.

Since st. lk is Vega's 3 frame option he could also beat me after st. rh by pressing a low button too IIRC so I had to take some stuff.
Yeah as a Vega, you can get AA'd by FANG pretty handily. If you have any move that goes through fireballs (that EX slice maybe?) do it if he feels safe behind his trap. And like I said, when you get aggresive, stay aggresive.

You can try to play the neutral game with FANG and he does struggle with that but a good fang will also plant traps and try to avoid it if possible. The cr.mk is +2 so I myself do a cr.mk and if they block it, do a cr.mp directly after. 99% of the time, it gets a counter hit.

The sotoja is punishable by most medium attacks.

And losing to FANG is incredibly frustrating. No way around that lol.

Renekton

Feel the pain that Makoto players felt during SSF4- USF4. I remember dude showing up only to one big euro tournament that entire time. That was streamed anyways.
After Haitani went back to Rufus, no surprise he would not cycle uphill again with Laura.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom