• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbpm1

You can try to play the neutral game with FANG and he does struggle with that but a good fang will also plant traps and try to avoid it if possible. The cr.mk is +2 so I myself do a cr.mk and if they block it, do a cr.mp directly after. 99% of the time, it gets a counter hit.

The sotoja is punishable by most medium attacks.

And losing to FANG is incredibly frustrating. No way around that lol.

Yeah, he had the traps when necessary, and always seemed to confirm a medium punch attack from footsie range into his CA. Made me not happy to mid-range against him, which I usually prefer to be.

That said, I never lost to a FANG before and I still think he sucks lol. Just need to learn it.

Onemic

They shouldve just made SFV F2P or just delayed the game till June so they could include all the content in one go. Now they're gonna have to rely heavily on long term sales to make SFV a success.

I just bought the HRAP 4, as I've been meaning to graduate from the Hori 6-button pad for awhile. Now, after watching this I'm realizing I've been using a stick incorrectly my entire life. Has anyone else gone through this realization and had to adjust? How has that gone for you? Would it even be worth trying to change now?

I have my hands on the buttons as follows: thumb on LK, index finger on LP, middle finger on MP, and my pinky on HP (which will also go down to HK when needed).
Hm. Never spotted this vid when I was looking at fight stick intros.

That said, I never lost to a FANG before and I still think he sucks lol. Just need to learn it.
Oh that he does lol.

I'm curious to see what kind of buffs Capcom gives him next year.
They shouldve just made SFV F2P or just delayed the game till June so they could include all the content in one go. Now they're gonna have to rely heavily on long term sales to make SFV a success.
They're probably going to "re-release" the game at the end of the year or afterwards

A 60$ package which includes all characters released so far. That'll be accompanied by a semi-decent marketing push which is basically saying "Hey everyone, we fixed our shit. You can jump in to the game, now's a great time".

Also EVO's gonna be amazing this year, which is most certainly going to help the word of mouth.

Spuck-uk

Banned
GinoDacampo is going to Stunfest apparently.
And it's a shame vryu can't regularly attend tournaments. ^^

The game is obviously running on a very low budget. :/
And probably even more so now that they didn't quite get the sales they expected...

Honestly, as high as Ginos points are.. I cant see him doing that well in tournament. He's has some really obvious patterns, and gets away with quite a lot online.

Vryu, Kindevu, Crimson and Automattock have the best Lauras I've seen

Spuck-uk

Banned
Her damage output is fine. You just gotta put in the work to get in to do it.

The real, glaring issue with Laura is the inability to link a medium to a medium or light. You have to be incredibly on point watching for counterhits to get the same damage as other characters get for free.

OTOH her crossup j.mk is ridiculously good, single handedly fucks a lot of other characters

Renekton

Honestly, as high as Ginos points are.. I cant see him doing that well in tournament. He's has some really obvious patterns, and gets away with quite a lot online.

Kindevu no longer on FANG?

The real, glaring issue with Laura is the inability to link a medium to a medium or light. You have to be incredibly on point watching for counterhits to get the same damage as other characters get for free.

OTOH her crossup j.mk is ridiculously good, single handedly fucks a lot of other characters

Ehh...counter-hitting to confirming that is pretty easy to me IMO. Defense is her most glaring issue. That and being able to get in and stay in against some characters. Considering she's a jui-jutsu master, it'd been dope if she had some sort of counter-grab like Geese Howard.

Shito

Haven't seen Kindevu's Laura yet, but I kinda agree with you yes.
Still, I'm really curious to see him in a tournament environnement, against top players. But I'm not too optimistic either... ^^

I don't think the counterhit thing is really a problem; I mean, I'm a pretty crappy player myself but have no problem taking advantage of those, since they usually come from frame traps, so you can kinda expect them.
It's just that she's a "burst" character that lives and dies by your ability to read your opponent and mix him up properly. She's more or less an honest version of Mika...

Ehh...counter-hitting to confirming that is pretty easy to me IMO. Defense is her most glaring issue. That and being able to get in and stay in against some characters. Considering she's a jui-jutsu master, it'd been dope if she had some sort of counter-grab like Geese Howard.
Yep, agree to all of that, even the Geese counter-grab thing! :3

Haven't seen Kindevu's Laura yet, but I kinda agree with you yes.
Still, I'm really curious to see him in a tournament environnement, against top players. But I'm not too optimistic either... ^^

I don't think the counterhit thing is really a problem; I mean, I'm a pretty crappy player myself but have no problem taking advantage of those, since they usually come from frame traps, so you can kinda expect them.
It's just that she's a "burst" character that lives and dies by your ability to read your opponent and mix him up properly. She's more or less an honest version of Mika...

Yep, agree to all of that, even the Geese counter-grab thing! :3

Yep, essentially.

Renekton

What's so special about her MK crossup? Seems like a standard j.MK.

This is true though. The one matchup where FANG can dominate is the dhalsim matchup. Literally every thing he has almost functions like a direct-counter to some of Dhalsim's abilities.

Dhalsim needs to play more patiently in this matchup (
not something Dhalsim players are accustomed to eh-oohhhhh
) and only teleport in response to FANG.

Also try not to throw your fireball unless it's an EX one.

And use your V-reversal more instead of saving for V-Trigger since FANG has both his V-Reversal and his EX dash to get out of the flame carpet.

Jump back into MK or HK drill is especially effective too when FANG is trying to go in. I never teleport against FANG because it just doesn't work. I've gotten hit by way too many traps to know that IA Teleport into j.HP is not at all safe even on some reactions. IA Gale is also the only good meaty on wakeup.

The FANG and Chun-Li matches are such tedium that I'm learning a second character just so I have a backup against those two.

What's so special about her MK crossup? Seems like a standard j.MK.

Standard as a general across the board move, yeah, but for her, it's just one of her most reliable moves and one of few that has good range and with low bad traits, unlike most of her other ranged move options.

Agh. I can get used to the way he holds the stick, but using two fingers on each button? Insane!

Late, but two fingers on each button is a bit weird imo. Maybe it's more useful for games like SF4, but the execution barrier in SFV is significantly lower. Like I said, do what's most comfortable to you, but the way he holds the stick is how I do and it helped improve my execution a lot.

FluxWaveZ

Playing through the rest of story mode for the first time. Man, some of this writing is... just great.

I will main Ed the moment he becomes a playable character. I have fun envisioning him and Balrog being buddies.

LakeEarth

Daigo holds the stick like a wineglass, with the stick between the second and third fingers. I tried it but couldn't get used to it.

S2 Cody, Q and Makoto DLC will boost sales to the heavens.

Not a single shred of data from Europe, Japan, steamspy or NPD points to healthy sales. I don't want to come off as combative (cuz you are a well mannered guy), but I've seen you in sales threads and I know nothing will change your mind about this game on any sort of level.
well the game didn't meet its expectation of 2 million obviously, but it's definitely not 400k either. Just wondering if you were speculating or not...and just because I like the game, and a bit more patient that many others with its update, doesn't mean I blindly champion it. Capcom should reveal there numbers next month anyway. But i do know it's not as low as some people here think. And people should not worry about season 2 or 3 etc...

Shito

Playing through the rest of story mode for the first time. Man, some of this writing is... just great.

I will main Ed the moment he becomes a playable character. I have fun envisioning him and Balrog being buddies.
Putting aside the boring characters like Ryu and Necalli, I really quite enjoyed the story mode's writing. It's all pretty much light-hearted and goofy in the good way, I had a way better time completing those than playing SF4's story mode...

Putting aside the boring characters like Ryu and Necalli, I really quite enjoyed the story mode's writing. It's all pretty much light-hearted and goofy in the good way, I had a way better time completing those than playing SF4's story mode...
Yea I thought Mika and Gief stuff was pretty funny...

Very odd this writing wasn't turned into a standard Arcade mode lol. Doesn't seem to be a lot of work to transition it.

well the game didn't meet its expectation of 2 million obviously, but it's definitely not 400k either. Just wondering if you were speculating or not...and just because I like the game, and a bit more patient that many others with its update, doesn't mean I blindly champion it. Capcom should reveal there numbers next month anyway. But i do know it's not as low as some people here think. And people should not worry about season 2 or 3 etc...

Preach. I remember you were initially feeling eh about the game in the beginning beta stages. Glad you saw the light.

But yeah, a lot of folks are over-harping on the negative aspects of this game and really go too far with the doom n gloom talks. There's going to be plenty of seasons of this game.

Renekton

S3 may be in jeopardy.

We'll see in E3 where Capcom stands on current-gen.

FluxWaveZ

But yeah, a lot of folks are over-harping on the negative aspects of this game and really go too far with the doom n gloom talks. There's going to be plenty of seasons of this game.

Look, there's one side that is relentless pessimism, but there is also another that is baseless hope. There is nothing pointing at there being plenty of seasons of SFV, and the game not meeting Capcom's expectations can have very real repercussions on its future.

Preach. I remember you were initially feeling eh about the game in the beginning beta stages. Glad you saw the light.

Lol yup...I definitely was not feeling it in the beginning. I do get both sides, it's like you have a beloved franchise show some respect, but Capcom may be going through some kind of hard times and need some new leadership who knows. Regardless I'm just not pissed off as much as others because the game really is getting better every month, it's not like I have a ton of time for gaming anymore anyway. Hell, I'm actually kinda excited about Guile and i usually hate charge characters.

Look, there's one side that is relentless pessimism, but there is also another that is baseless hope. There is nothing pointing at there being plenty of seasons of SFV, and the game not meeting Capcom's expectations can have very real repercussions on its future.

Why is it baseless hope tho? THere's been lesser fighters (sales-wise) that have cranked out iteration after iteration, so I don't see why the quintessential fighting game series is just going to roll over and die just cuz it started off a little shaky. I could see ya'll saying that a VI is a long ways away, if even never happening, but V will here for years to come. Even if it's a matter of Capcom doing financially bad, it's partnered with Sony, so I don't see them letting the deal die either. Plus all the efforts they're pushing into the Capcom pro tours and whatnot and the turnout of entrants withing fighting game tourneys going on right now and Evo impending. If anything, all else fails, that F2P option that some folks are pushing for would probably be a last resort, fail-safe option that would most likely keep it from outright dying as well.

i mean they wanted to support the game for the rest of the gen. What is baseless about listening to want the producer of the game said? Additional characters costs a lot sure, but season 4 or 5 don't necessarily have to be characters. Balance fixes, modes, costumes, taunts, titles, this stuff doesn't costs billions here man lol.

And 2 million shipped is not a ton of sales. There are likely over 1 million WW shipped already. But the way ppl talk would make it seem like the game only 200k. It does take time to see if Capcoms bet pays off or not. How can we judge the game as a failure this early?

Also we do a big GAF lobby this weekend...

Skilletor

There's nothing either way, honestly.

The game could go F2P and do super well in a year, and garner tons of players.

They could've cancelled s2 plans last month for all we know.

We know nothing of the long term plans for the game. Super Optimism and FUD on either side is getting bothersome because they're just caught in an endless loop of arguments with no resolution until two years from now, lol.

My personal stance is to enjoy what's coming and even if we don't get a single new character after Urien, it'll still end up being my favorite SF ever, and I'll be spending a lot of time with it no matter what happens.

Shito

If we can have a third season for KI, I don't see why we should be that pessimistic about SFV.
Especially when seeing that they are obviously not spending millions of dollars in development costs and manpower to support the game. ^^

Their biggest blunder at the moment is to still not have the cash shop up yet, because that is going to be their main source of revenue for the coming years.
And I need that Laura alt.

FluxWaveZ

Why is it baseless hope tho? THere's been lesser fighters (sales-wise) that have cranked out iteration after iteration, so I don't see why the quintessential fighting game series is just going to roll over and die just cuz it started off a little shaky. I could see ya'll saying that a VI is a long ways away, if even never happening, but V will here for years to come. Even if it's a matter of Capcom doing financially bad, it's partnered with Sony, so I don't see them letting the deal die either. Plus all the efforts they're pushing into the Capcom pro tours and whatnot and the turnout of entrants withing fighting game tourneys going on right now and Evo impending. If anything, all else fails, that F2P option that some folks are pushing for would probably be a last resort, fail-safe option that would most likely keep it from outright dying as well.

This is valid, but what I'm saying is that it's also optimistic. They haven't even gotten their zenny currency, which was supposed to be at the core of the game from the start, under control.

I dunno, right now I'm just operating with what they have announced thus far. Season 1 will come and all that's been announced for it, but what comes in the future is nebulous.

i mean they wanted to support the game for the rest of the gen. What is baseless about listening to want the producer of the game said? Additional characters costs a lot sure, but season 4 or 5 don't necessarily have to be characters. Balance fixes, modes, costumes, taunts, titles, this stuff doesn't costs billions here man lol.

Well, we know from playing SFV, that there's a lot of things they wanted to do with SFV that didn't pan out. This could just be another one of them. I suppose "baseless" was too strong, but it's also not unreasonable to be skeptical.

hamchan

Amazon had the TE2+ back in stock so I bought it. Guess I'm committed to putting thousands of hours into this game now that I spent that much money.

Lol yup...I definitely was not feeling it in the beginning. I do get both sides, it's like you have a beloved franchise show some respect, but Capcom may be going through some kind of hard times and need some new leadership who knows. Regardless I'm just not pissed off as much as others because the game really is getting better every month, it's not like I have a ton of time for gaming anymore anyway. Hell, I'm actually kinda excited about Guile and i usually hate charge characters.

Yep, agreed. Even with all the shenanigans that have been coming with the dlc plans as far as trailer/info releases and whatnot, the end results thus far have been pretty solid. Not perfect, still has its shit to work thru, but fun and hype building nonetheless. I too am very amped for Guile, despite that I don't usually play him.

There's nothing either way, honestly.

The game could go F2P and do super well in a year, and garner tons of players.

They could've cancelled s2 plans last month for all we know.

We know nothing of the long term plans for the game. Super Optimism and FUD on either side is getting bothersome because they're just caught in an endless loop of arguments with no resolution until two years from now, lol.

My personal stance is to enjoy what's coming and even if we don't get a single new character after Urien, it'll still end up being my favorite SF ever, and I'll be spending a lot of time with it no matter what happens.
Well I haven't been exclusively talking from strictly my own opinion. I do PM insiders here on a regular basis. I'm telling you, how big a failure the game is is exegerrated. But yeah, it certainly did not meet expectations and has a obstacles in front of it to be super successful. But I like your approach, we should just enjoy the game.

Lobby this weekend? Saturday afternoon?

This is valid, but what I'm saying is that it's also optimistic. They haven't even gotten their zenny currency, which was supposed to be at the core of the game from the start, under control.

I dunno, right now I'm just operating with what they have announced thus far. Season 1 will come and all that's been announced for it, but what comes in the future is nebulous.

Well, we know from playing SFV, that there's a lot of things they wanted to do with SFV that didn't pan out. This could just be another one of them. I suppose "baseless" was too strong, but it's also not unreasonable to be skeptical.
Agreed man...we fall on one side of the bias either way just from personal preferences. It's all good

Pejo

I asked this in the past couple of threads, but I feel like the thread speed has slowed down a bit since then, so I'll try again:

Do any of you know a good 6 face button +2 shoulder (or similar) fightpad that's PC compatible? I hate using sticks but the DS4 shoulders are making it way too tough for me to perform/tech throws.

Skilletor

Well I haven't been exclusively talking from strictly my own opinion. I do PM insiders here on a regular basis. I'm telling you, how big a failure the game is is exegerrated. But yeah, it certainly did not meet expectations and has a obstacles in front of it to be super successful. But I like your approach, we should just enjoy the game.

Lobby this weekend? Saturday afternoon?

I was super down after launch just because of how much I love the game and the franchise, but then I realized:

I still play pretty much every SF game and most of them have less characters than this one will after September. It doesn't matter what happens. This is pretty much my favorite SF game ever.

I'm busy Saturday until early evening, are you free Sundays? I'm also around most evenings. Would love to get some sets in with you. :D

I asked this in the past couple of threads, but I feel like the thread speed has slowed down a bit since then, so I'll try again:

Do any of you know a good 6 face button +2 shoulder (or similar) fightpad that's PC compatible? I hate using sticks but the DS4 shoulders are making it way too tough for me to perform/tech throws.

I think the Hori FC is the only one 6 buttons + shoulders. If you mean all four shoulders, anyway.

Most of those things are still on the boards tho. Didn't pan out "On-time" would probably be the better way to word that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom