• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
The player radars don't even work a year after release. Calm down with the machine learning stuff lol

Way more personal than I expected. I still want to know which part got so much attention on Twitter.

I thought it was the "if you evolve with the game, you'll never get bored" part. That's the one I remember circulating around the most before the translation dropped.

Moaradin

What are Urien's bad MUs? Just Guile? Because I remember word that it could be a bad MU for Chun back in S1.

Guile and FANG are really bad. And while none of his other match ups aren't as bad as those, I'd say a few other characters like Cammy aren't favorable for him.

To me, Urien feels more like early S1 Karin. People fall for the gimmicks like random overhead and rekka gimmicks and call her OP, but in the end that stuff gets figured out and her solid buttons are what makes her a good character.

Aside from the already stated that you let people just jump at you without any punishes, I would honestly say you aren't being aggressive enough, balrog has outstanding buttons and close range pressure, but you seem to back off and try to charge when you can.
You should try to learn how to charge during other actions, and use your buttons more, because right now I'm just seeing an incredibly passive balrog.

Try watching some games by smug or prrog.

I actually wouldn't mind playing you a bit, I'm not a great balrog player, but maybe you can pick some things up.

Absolutely. My default is to back off because when I go in too hard I always get punished because I don't know what I'm doing. Even when I counter and should be going in immediately to continue the barrage I back off because I think I'm safer that way just waiting for them to make a mistake again or just randomly spamming special moves and praying.

Happy to play you anytime! CFN Ace_Harding.

mbpm1

Absolutely. My default is to back off because when I go in too hard I always get punished because I don't know what I'm doing. Even when I counter and should be going in immediately to continue the barrage I back off because I think I'm safer that way just waiting for them to make a mistake again or just randomly spamming special moves and praying.

I used to feel that way, but in this game you have to take those hits and losses to learn how to be aggressive eventually. Because you will need to be.

Isn't Cammy a bad matchup for Urien? Or at least 5-5? And I remember hearing that Bison is a good against Uriens.

I can't find a matchup chart anywhere tbh.

Guile and FANG are really bad. And while none of his other match ups aren't as bad as those, I'd say a few other characters like Cammy aren't favorable for him.

To me, Urien feels more like early S1 Karin. People fall for the gimmicks like random overhead and rekka gimmicks and call her OP, but in the end that stuff gets figured out and her solid buttons are what makes her a good character.

That's true. I keep seeing all this anti reflector tech so people are going to have to be careful with that shit.

I can play a quick FT5 right now if you want?

FluxWaveZ

After seeing Snafoo—a fantastic defensive and analytical player—get absolutely wrecked by a supposed "Day 4" Urien yesterday (not to mention myself), I don't think that's the differentiating factor.

Unlike Karin, Urien has great health. Great anti-airs. Greater damage output. A fireball. Great and safe mobility special moves. Greater range and better pokes than even Karin has. It's not just about gimmicks to figure out—which could happen with S2 Laura—but Urien is a fundamentally, extremely powerful character.

Moaradin

I'm not saying Urien isn't a great character. It's just that the thing people complain about is usually the gimmicky shit that gets figured out quickly. Urien has bad matchups and he has plenty of weaknesses like really slow startup/recovery and poor wake up, so I don't think he's nearly as strong in every situation like S1 Chun was.

FluxWaveZ

I'm not saying Urien isn't a great character. It's just that the thing people complain about is usually the gimmicky shit that gets figured out quickly. Urien has bad matchups and he has plenty of weaknesses like really slow startup/recovery and poor wake up, so I don't think he's nearly as strong in every situation like S1 Chun was.

How does a character with an EX DP have poor wake up?

Moaradin

How does a character with an EX DP have poor wake up?

His EX DP is one of the worst in the game. Its startup is ridiculously long and you can meaty it and still have time to block. And it's very easy to low profile which is part of the reason why FANG is such a bad matchup. It's not a great EX DP. It's even worse than S1 Karin which is saying something.

But yeah at least he has one.

FluxWaveZ

His EX DP is one of the worst in the game. Its startup is ridiculously long and you can meaty it and still have time to block. And it's very easy to low profile which is part of the reason why FANG is such a bad matchup. It's not a great EX DP. It's even worse than S1 Karin which is saying something.

But yeah at least he has one.

Yeah, the 12f startup does mean you can safe meaty it. But in SFV, where the majority of the cast need to deal with blocking when they wake up, I don't think it qualifies as a weakness.

Twelvy

Hi GAF, I have some question for arcade stick Karin players.
I recently managed to reach ultra bronze (after a year of play...) and I'm struggling to diversify my combos.
I noticed I always used my EX gauge the same way: for my CA or for EX ressenha in the corner. So When I don't have my full EX gauge, I don't deal enough damage. I tried to do instant EX tenko to juggle more but the inputs have to be fast, so only EX tenko shows up. Does anyone know how to input it easily? Do you configure one of your buttons to lk+mk?
basicaly the combo I want to land is inst. tenko > l mujinkyaku > inst. EX tenko > EX oroshi
Note: I have no trouble executing instant tenko, or EX tenko, just... instant EX tenko

Moaradin

I'd say his defense in general isn't that great. That combined with his slow startup and recovery on all his moves makes it really easy to get in his face and pressure him. I still think he's a great character in this game, but if we're comparing him to S1 Chun, he's not nearly as strong in every situation like she was.

I'd say his defense in general isn't that great. That combined with his slow startup and recovery on all his moves makes it really easy to get in his face and pressure him. I still think he's a great character in this game, but if we're comparing him to S1 Chun, he's not nearly as strong in every situation like she was.

I think someone said on stream that if you are able to bully a Urien and don't let him start his game, you can win, and that's easier for overly aggressive characters.

nobody in S2 is touching S1 Chun with a 10ft pole b

Isn't Ricki still playing her? And I think GO-1 is still as well.

mbpm1

Are you implying Urien is going to end up being mid tier by the end of this season? I would literally delete the game off my laptop right now if Urien of all people isn't top 5 at the very least.

I can see him falling from top 5. Not as far as mid tier though, that path is reserved for Ryu

Moaradin

Urien might be top 5 but he'd be right on the edge, just like Karin was for S1.

Top 5 for me right now is:

Chun Li
Necalli
Cammy
Guile
Urien OR Karin

Laura is gonna be the wildcard like S1 Mika was. She has a lot of flaws just like Mika did, but her 50/50 mixups could be so strong that she could be top 5 despite her flaws. Or she could get figured out and end up being midtier at best. Only time will tell.

There's also Zangief, who could be really good. Japanese players seem to think so.

Dahbomb

Urien might be top 5 but he'd be right on the edge, just like Karin was for S1.

Top 5 for me right now is:

Chun Li
Necalli
Cammy
Guile
Urien OR Karin

Laura is gonna be the wildcard like S1 Mika was. She has a lot of flaws just like Mika did, but her 50/50 mixups could be so strong that she could be top 5 despite her flaws. Or she could get figured out and end up being midtier at best. Only time will tell.

There's also Zangief, who could be really good. Japanese players seem to think so.
No Balrog? That damage tho..

Hyun Sai

I swear Battle Lounge is where I got the most fun of this game. Opened a lobby, got several First to 5 against various players from Bronze to Platinum.

No Rage Quitters, no Fight Money Farmers, quick re-matches... How a FG is meant to be played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom