• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVI| The More I Know, The Worse I Play

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care about either of those things.

Before launch last year, before I spent any money on SF5, there was a road map. They're asking people to spend more money on SF5 and shit from LAST YEAR'S road map isn't out yet, and we don't have anything similar going forward.

Yeah, a set plan would be nice.

Even a general idea of something coming during a two month time frame I dunno.

I mean Resident Evil 7 seems to be a very well made and polished game so it's clear that Capcom CAN get it's shit together to make something great.

I honestly think that what little budget Capcom gives the SF team just got smaller cause they're dedicating more time to MvC:I. It was pretty clear that the game was made on practically a shoestring budget compared to their other games.

Well, on the flipside of things, the more profitable their company does, the more they can spend on SFV and other games in general. And them improving the netcode is probably going to feed right into MVCI's netcode too.

I mean Resident Evil 7 seems to be a very well made and polished game so it's clear that Capcom CAN get it's shit together to make something great.

Let's please not pretend like this is unexpected from capcom, their huge library of titles and beloved IP's definitely doesn't say "they can't do it", they've always be able; even if you end up not liking a specific title, someone else undoubtedly has, capcom definitely isn't known for releasing universally panned titles.

I honestly think that what little budget Capcom gives the SF team just got smaller cause they're dedicating more time to MvC:I. It was pretty clear that the game was made on practically a shoestring budget compared to their other games.

I doubt it, the main game has been released and now is only being updated, non-essential staff gets moved to different projects, this is how it works at every studio; with 150 people at capcom osaka, it really doesn't matter if 100 are now working on mvc:i and 10 are working together with dimps on sf5, that's more than enough people to support post launch content.

They have characters coming we know absolutely nothing about, or when they're going to be released. Not even the next character. We don't even have a road map yet like we did for S1? They're selling us the S 2 dlc pass, but they have nothing to say? Sure.

But didn't the road map back fire on them? It wasn't even a road map approved by the Japanese development team.

They sold the S1 pass for a bit before revealing all the characters and we only figured them out early cause people datamined the shit out of the game and beta.

Idk I just don't think 1 month of silence is something to worry about.

Lulubop

It's actually joke after the diaster that was s1 and let's not pretens s1 wasn't a disater. It shows capcom hasn't learned anything, and not stepping shit up after the disater that was s1. I love this game, and wanna see it sicceed but they're fucking up.

Skilletor

But didn't the road map back fire on them? It wasn't even a road map approved by the Japanese development team.

They sold the S1 pass for a bit before revealing all the characters and we only figured them out early cause people datamined the shit out of the game and beta.

Idk I just don't think 1 month of silence is something to worry about.

No, it didn't backfire.

One character was late, and then two dropped in a single month and we finished on time.

We still haven't seen extra battle, though. I forget if anything else on that roadmap was left out.

Even if it WAS a disaster, when you have a game with this model, it benefits you to let your consumers know when they can expect to see things they're going to be able to spend money on.

Let's please not pretend like this is unexpected from capcom, their huge library of titles and beloved IP's definitely doesn't say "they can't do it", they've always be able; even if you end up not liking a specific title, someone else undoubtedly has, capcom definitely isn't known for releasing universally panned titles..

I never claimed that Capcom doesn't know how to produce good games but you can't help but admit that they've been consistently messing up with SF5 for whatever reason, and one can't help but let it's state influence your expectations for other games. It's why a lot of people are a bit wary of how MvC:I is going to shape up.

I doubt it, the main game has been released and now is only being updated, non-essential staff gets moved to different projects, this is how it works at every studio; with 150 people at capcom osaka, it really doesn't matter if 100 are now working on mvc:i and 10 are working together with dimps on sf5, that's more than enough people to support post launch content.

I meant the post launch support specifically, but you have to admit that in the 10-month period that the game's been on "post launch mode", a LOT of problems still exist and a lot of expected improvements are yet to be made. Which makes me question whether the issue lies with budget or manpower. And we already know that they've outsourced some stuff so I think that the issue lies with budget but clearly there is an issue somewhere.

MrCarter

I mean Resident Evil 7 seems to be a very well made and polished game so it's clear that Capcom CAN get its shit together to make something great.

I mean the gameplay and animations are top notch so it can't have come cheap but it's the shit surrounding it that was clearly mis-managed. As for the game having a lower budget because of MVC:I I don't think that is true because they are using some of the same models from MVC3 but jazzing them up a bit. Resident Evil, for some reason, is Capcom's most highly regarded franchise and they always spend the cash on it.

MrCarter

And we already know that they've outsourced some stuff so I think that the issue lies with budget but clearly there is an issue somewhere.

It's not unheard of, especially in the gaming industry, that some companies out source certain things to get done so I don't see the issue here. Some of the modelling work (not Ken's face), is fantastic. I think it's definitely a management and budget issue here - if they didn't spend money on resources making a cinematic story and instead spent it on more gameplay elements then I think it would have been in a better position now.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I have absolutely no proof whatsoever, but early on I remember hearing that Sonly mostly paid for the Pro Tour and the game itself was all Capcom.

I have absolutely no proof whatsoever, but early on I remember hearing that Sonly mostly paid for the Pro Tour and the game itself was all Capcom.

It would be so interesting to hear the full story on this game's development , regardless if this statement is true or not.

What a mess.

Shadoken

I've long suspected that the team for this game was/is woefully understaffed.

Dat one lone server engineer lol.

But I wonder is why such a low budget and workforce for this project? SF4 was an extremely successful title. When you think about how much it sold over the entire generation.

Like SF4 at the time seemed like relatively high budget release ( For a Fighting game ) , which seemed so risky considering how dead 2D Fighters and SF was at the time.

MrCarter

If that was the case then I don't know they couldn't release this game on Xbox or other systems after the first Pro Tour for this game was over. It's probably something deeper than that. I don't understand why Sony are not getting involved (to my knowledge) or saying something either as this was thier investment.

Neither did Capcom by the looks of things. Capcom executives are a joke.
4pd15to.gif

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
That game doesn't really have anything to do with Sony. But they did spend money on SFV...

And they usually have patience when it comes to their games.

Ehh, please don't think certification is some sort of rigorous game proficiency test.
Cert is literally just to make sure the game conforms to technical things for the console, it's not some sort of system that weeds out "bad games".

Cepheus

I think the servers have collapsed. Again.

Yup. The results weren't getting sent to the server for me earlier, so I missed out on a few league points.

Also, I just fought this guy who stunned me, teabagged me while I was stunned, then taunted, and then finally finished me off. I was too shocked to fight back at that point.

Looks like we should have kept up this whole time.

Yup. The results weren't getting sent to the server for me earlier, so I missed out on a few league points.

Also, I just fought this guy who stunned me, teabagged me while I was stunned, then taunted, and then finally finished me off. I was too shocked to fight back at that point.

Gotta turn that into rage and beat that ass.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Dat one lone server engineer lol.

But I wonder is why such a low budget and workforce for this project? SF4 was an extremely successful title. When you think about how much it sold over the entire generation.

Like SF4 at the time seemed like relatively high budget release ( For a Fighting game ) , which seemed so risky considering how dead 2D Fighters and SF was at the time.

Outsourcing character models was kind of telling.

Z..

Gah... just finished a survival run on hard, man... Can't use PS4 for anything else. Good stuff, Capcom. This game has such a ridiculously poor infrastructure supporting it. Nothing but sour notes since getting it last Saturday. One of the best fighting games ever (imo, obviously) and simultaneously the single worst fighting game ever made.

I like how, from out of no where they can pull a maintenance session and announce it on Twitter, but everything that's been broke as fuck for almost a year... NOTHING. Never acknowledged, no communication and no action. Where the fuck are the rage quit icons that were added a month ago and lasted less than a week. It's a mickey mouse operation and I'm tired of feeling guilty for being so disappointed and judgemental towards it.

Helen update will save us. Capcom pls. #biblethump

On an side note, sitting pretty at 10.5k LP now, still on the grind for that wonderful Diamond rank. :D

Do they ever actually tell us what they fix with these emergency maintenance?

I wonder if that'd help any. I could be a bug or something weird that just happened and they have to shut shit down to fix it. Would people really care either way? I'd think most people just want it to work.

I like how, from out of no where they can pull a maintenance session and announce it on Twitter, but everything that's been broke as fuck for almost a year... NOTHING. Never acknowledged, no communication and no action. Where the fuck are the rage quit icons that were added a month ago and lasted less than a week. It's a mickey mouse operation and I'm tired of feeling guilty for being so disappointed and judgemental towards it.

That's totally true. Where are the rage quit icons? They just took that shit out. I get WHY the jail system can be abused and can be a bad idea, but if that's the case, then tell us.

That's totally true. Where are the rage quit icons? They just took that shit out. I get WHY the jail system can be abused and can be a bad idea, but if that's the case, then tell us.

My guess is that the rage quit system was killing the servers somehow (poorly scaling algorithm?), and that they had to disable it in a hurry. Remember that it disappeared after emergency maintenance. That could also explain how they accidentally broke the matchmaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom