• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same. Can't imagine that mu is in sim's favor

My friend is a Gold League Sim player, and i beat him with my 15min training mode Urien, when i think about it since i started messing around with Urien he hasn't taken a set from me at all lol, yet with my main Alex we trade sets all the time......shit i need to join the Urien army..

I think you meant F.A.N.G

I don't think that anyone reading this thread risk forgetting that F.A.N.G exists:
OT6 Wall of shame
2c554edb3c.png

Neoxon

My friend is a Gold League Sim player, and i beat him with my 15min training mode Urien, when i think about it since i started messing around with Urien he hasn't taken a set from me at all lol, yet with my main Alex we trade sets all the time......shit i need to join the Urien army..
You should, we have Illuminati-themed cupcakes.

Neoxon

In case you guys can't tell, I'm absolutely loving how Urien's top-tier now. He was slept on in Season 1, but that may have been because he came out near the end of the CPT season. It's not exactly how I felt when Bayonetta ruled over Smash 4 with an iron fist (though now she's still one of the best), but it's close enough within the context of SFV.

FluxWaveZ

In case you guys can't tell, I'm absolutely loving how Urien's top-tier now. He was slept on in Season 1, but that may have been because he came out near the end of the CPT season. It's not exactly how I felt when Bayonetta ruled over Smash 4 with an iron fist (though now she's still one of the best), but it's close enough within the context of SFV.

I have no idea what alternate reality you are from where Urien was "slept on" in Season 1, but he was everywhere online and people commonly thought he was already top tier back then. What you're saying makes no sense.

Oh, I don't mean the hard numbers because it's obvious this data isn't exhaustive. I mean relative to the other characters from those taken. Statistically, I imagine it's true that Chun-Li is on the lower spectrum in terms of general activity online nowadays. But I bet that the percentage becomes significantly different, for her in particular, once you get to Platinum leagues and higher.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that Capcom page exists. Though those numbers are pretty dated; I bet things changed pretty dramatically with the start of January.
Hopefully the site is updated with January data soon since we're already a about a week into February.
I have no idea what alternate reality you are from where Urien was "slept on" in Season 1, but he was everywhere online and people commonly thought he was already top tier back then. What you're saying makes no sense.
Yeah, it was more like everyone knew he was pretty strong, but there wasn't enough time left in season 1 to really explore him. Then Capcom in their infinite wisdom decided to buff him most out of all the DLC characters. >_>

Moaradin

Urien was far from top tier in S1. He still had his aegis gimmicks, but his anti airs were pretty bad and had no good way of getting people off him. Characters like Cammy bullied him. He was solid but he wasn't getting anywhere near Ryu, Cammy, Chun, Necalli, Ken, etc.

It's arguable if he's top 5 now, even though he's fucking great. Lot of strong characters in season 2 right now. I can see the top 5 fluctuating a lot once CPT starts kicking off.

ElFly

Urien was def top 10 in S1. problem was that the top 5 were _really_ good, and also people didn't have time to explore him more but he was far from weak

hell, Urien S1 would still be super good in S2

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, we never really saw a fully developed S1 Urien. How long was he out before the patch? Like 2.5 months or something?

FluxWaveZ

Urien was far from top tier in S1. He still had his aegis gimmicks, but his anti airs were pretty bad and had no good way of getting people off him. Characters like Cammy bullied him. He was solid but he wasn't getting anywhere near Ryu, Cammy, Chun, Necalli, Ken, etc.

It's arguable if he's top 5 now, even though he's fucking great. Lot of strong characters in season 2 right now. I can see the top 5 fluctuating a lot once CPT starts kicking off.

Far from top tier? Is "top tier" only top 5?

While LI Joe was pissed that Cr.MK couldn't cancel into Fireball, I was praising Urien Day 1 and saying how he's like 10-0 against Nash.

But now look what happened.

Producer

-urien player

:p

ElFly

I'm a little shocked at how few Akumas are out there. Thought he'd be a little more popular.

they might be tired of getting their shit kicked in

v-league pro has him as the worst character overall. he doesn't have a single favorable MU

stn

I'm a little shocked at how few Akumas are out there. Thought he'd be a little more popular.
I wanted to main him but got bored of his playstyle, to be honest. He's more Oni and less Akuma. His pokes are nothing special, his ground fireball is okay, his air fireball is very situational. They watered him down to another mid-range character who fishes for counter-hits. He's more fun in V-trigger mode but it depletes way too fast. Though I will say that his animations are badass and his hits have impact. His new look also grew on me. Still, I doubt I'll ever really invest time in the character unless his neutral is changed in some way.

EDIT: He beats Nash for sure. I personally think its his best matchup.

Neoxon

I was referring to tournaments, where it took RB to show off the true potential of Urien. Though as mentioned before, it's likely due to how late Urien came out in the CPT season.

Oddly enough, I didn't see as many Uriens online during Season 1 as you guys (besides myself, of course).

Mr. X

My S1 Top 10 Characters

Chun
Ryu
Ken
Mika
Necalli
Cammy
Karin
Nash
Guile
Urien

I'd say Urien is in the current top 5 of S2 but this is my thoughts on potential to be top 10

Guile
Laura
Cammy
Balrog
Urien
Necalli
Karin
Ibuki
Gief
Bison
Ken
Ryu

I think people are sleeping on Birdie to be honest. Playing around with him over the course of the last week has made me realize how incredibly strong some of his tools still are, and in the hands of a strong player who understands how to mitigate his weakness I can totally see him stealing top spots at tournaments.

Heck, we saw a taste of this on WSO last week when Problem X tore through a bunch of strong players without too much difficulty. Not sure if Birdie's Top 5 necessarily cuz I think there are easily 5+ characters who are stronger than him overall, but Top 10 for sure.

vulva

While LI Joe was pissed that Cr.MK couldn't cancel into Fireball, I was praising Urien Day 1 and saying how he's like 10-0 against Nash.

But now look what happened.

Nash got nerfed, Urien got better and a whole bunch of changes that have nothing to do with your one use case?

I think people are sleeping on Birdie to be honest. Playing around with him over the course of the last week has made me realize how incredibly strong some of his tools still are, and in the hands of a strong player who understands how to mitigate his weakness I can totally see him stealing top spots at tournaments.

Heck, we saw a taste of this on WSO last week when Problem X tore through a bunch of strong players without too much difficulty. Not sure if Birdie's Top 5 necessarily cuz I think there are easily 5+ characters who are stronger than him overall, but Top 10 for sure.

Birdie's strength and comeback potential carryied me into Silver the other week after about 9 months of Ultra Bronze. I still haven't managed to properly work Birdie's banana, can, and bullhorn into my play yet, but I get by like any scrub. I also assume he's not so commonly seen online so a lot of people get caught out by him.

Birdie's strength and comeback potential carryied me into Silver the other week after about 9 months of Ultra Bronze. I still haven't managed to properly work Birdie's banana, can, and bullhorn into my play yet, but I get by like any scrub. I also assume he's not so commonly seen online so a lot of people get caught out by him.

Yeah, I encounter maybe one Birdie per month of playing online, and I haven't fought a single one since reaching Gold back in November. It's kind of funny to see people struggle to keep up with his gimmicks if they don't know the matchup; I fought a Zangief last week who was so desperate to land just one command grab but kept getting stuffed by EX Killing Head's invincibility.

myco666

Birdie is definitely a strong character. Only thing he is missing is invincible reversal without v-trigger but I think it is okay that he doesn't have that.

Pachinko

You guys talking about tiers made me go check what event hubs thinks these days and it's pretty much what you'd expect - Urien and Guile at the top , Fang in the basement. Nash and Mika moving down a fair bit from S1 while Laura and balrog have shot upwards. And most of the rest of the cast is pretty close otherwise.

Yeah, I encounter maybe one Birdie per month of playing online, and I haven't fought a single one since reaching Gold back in November. It's kind of funny to see people struggle to keep up with his gimmicks if they don't know the matchup; I fought a Zangief last week who was so desperate to land just one command grab but kept getting stuffed by EX Killing Head's invincibility.

I found out late last year that there is a small community (20 or so maybe) local to me who meet once a month for a wee tournament. I haven't mustered up the nerve to go but they stream it on Twitch and I've watched small snippets. Anyway, I'm certain there's not a Birdie main there and I've been tempted to go represent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom