• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neoxon

Agreed, I'd rather get a massive content patch at the start of the year, like 6 characters and be able to see how the community learn the characters all at once, it would also give us a chance to see some of those characters at EVO, now the chances of seeing Ed in Evo top 64 are basically non existent...If someone told me there was 6 employees working at Capcom on SFV right now I wouldn't even be surprised. They can't even stick to their own content drop once a month like they promised...
Ed & the balance patch are probably already done, it's likely the CFN update that's holding things back.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Ed's been done for awhile now. CFN update is what is holding it back.

I could understand holding Ed back if the balance patch wasn't ready but why should the CFN update prevent either of those things from being released? Is it because they want to beta test Ed and the next CFN beta is the best way to do that?

Is it because the balance changes are part of the CFN update and can't be administered separately?

kirblar

I could understand holding Ed back if the balance patch wasn't ready but why should the CFN update prevent either of those things from being released? Is it because they want to beta test Ed and the next CFN beta is the best way to do that?

Is it because the balance changes are part of the CFN update and can't be administered separately?
Likely, yes. The costumes and stage were trivial to add.

The delay announcement seemed to say that Ed and the Balance patch were designed as part of the same build as the CFN update. There probably aren't separate builds of the game with the individual components of the update.

Neoxon

So SFV saw a 100k boost in sales within the last 3 months. Maybe the ELEAGUE exposure is actually helping (that & a few good deals on the game).

Mr. X

I think Capcom wants the new improved CFN so the influx of people coming back to try the new character can be like "WHOA" when they see the whole new paint job and improved matchmaking.

1st match tomorrow at Dreamhack Austin for me is LPN. I'm using Gief this tournament, and I was having fun in casuals against people because I basically can get wins flipping coins for shits and giggles. If I end up on stream, I might play full stupid because fuck it, I find it funny.

kirblar

1st match tomorrow at Dreamhack Austin for me is LPN. I'm using Gief this tournament, and I was having fun in casuals against people because I basically can get wins flipping coins for shits and giggles. If I end up on stream, I might play full stupid because fuck it, I find it funny.
If you're not good w/ the Birdie Matchup, force the blind pick immediately.

Kashiwaba

Don't teabag him, he might start throwing things at you.

Csr

Fuck this netcode, first game smooth, beat the player with ease, second game rollback hell i lose..fuck this netcode..

Yeah i played a few matches lately and that happened way too often, like 1 round is perfect and then it all goes to hell, i wonder if there is some new exploit because with specific players almost every time they used a reversal dp or when i dizzied them there was a huge frame skip and then it went back to normal and i couldn't do anything at that time. It could also just be a coincidence though and the netcode is just behaving weird.

Yeah i played a few matches lately and that happened way too often, like 1 round is perfect and then it all goes to hell, i wonder if there is some new exploit because with specific players almost every time they used a reversal dp or when i dizzied them there was a huge frame skip and then it went back to normal and i couldn't do anything at that time. It could also just be a coincidence though and the netcode is just behaving weird.

6 best of 3 casual matches played smooth, won 5 of them, the next 4, all ended in 1-1 ties because the second match became lag hell, the inconsistency of this netcode is brutal..

FluxWaveZ

Seems the online has taken a hit again. It's not 40006 + 80002 galore like it was a few months back, but I have indeed encountered more lag recently.

Sayad

Seems the online has taken a hit again. It's not 40006 + 80002 galore like it was a few months back, but I have indeed encountered more lag recently.
After the beta, I know me and many other players don't feel like touching the game until the patch, this is in combination with Capcom not caring about the deteriorating state of online right now since all the effort is going into the new CFN.

Zackat

After the beta, I know me and many other players don't feel like touching the game until the patch, this is in combination with Capcom not caring about the deteriorating state of online right now since all the effort is going into the new CFN.

there's so many games out right now I don't mind it too much

I am still working on persona 5 lol

I see where you are coming from
All those games will also have better online and companies that actually support them well too

So that you don't get salty make sure to pick a top tier. Or choose from a pool of the people you are interested in and pick the strongest :rollsafe:
hehe, yeah.

The good/bad thing about NRS games is that they patch their games so frequently that tier lists are only relevant for 3 hours at a time so I don't have to worry about tiers that much there.

For Tekken 7, as you and others from Tekken-GAF have said it's less about the character and more about understanding the systems so I'm gonna try to go for the characters that I enjoy playing and just put my all into it.

The problem with F.A.N.G isn't necessarily that he's still low-tier, it's that he is being taken in a direction that I just don't enjoy. I want to play defensive, Capcpom wants me to play offensive and do frametraps and mixups constantly. Similar situation with Birdie. I loved him in S1 with his great normals, incredibly solid AAs and generally stable and grounded play where you have to take risks for wakeup options or generally have good reads to be effective and get the big damage. Then in S2 they give him the stupidest shit (EX bullhead in V-Trigger has frame 1 armor and is -2? THE FUCKING FUCK?) , make oki a bigger focus, make his normals stubbier/slower and make his AAs slightly worse.

Unless you're a KoF fan, it has been a bit of a "dry" period.

So much new stuff coming out for games that it's kinda tough to stay focused on what you have.

Guilty Gear Xrd REV 2, T7, IJ2, That gundam game (sorry TheSpoiler)

So did USF4 :p

I decided to go back and watch some old Topanga A league USF4 matches. Man I know probably half this thread(or maybe much higher lol) hates the game but it was so amazing to watch at high level.

I'm still pretty sad about SFV sales. I remember participating in the MKX vs SFV sales thread and legit thought SFV wouldn't finish that far behind MKX beacuse it has more world wide appeal(I predicted 3+ million for SFV). Now I see the MvC Infinite vs Injustice 2 thread and was like "nah, I'm good".

Csr

So did USF4 :p

I decided to go back and watch some old Topanga A league USF4 matches. Man I know probably half this thread(or maybe much higher lol) hates the game but it was so amazing to watch at high level.

I'm still pretty sad about SFV sales. I remember participating in the MKX vs SFV sales thread and legit thought SFV wouldn't finish that far behind MKX beacuse it has more world wide appeal(I predicted 3+ million for SFV). Now I see the MvC Infinite vs Injustice 2 thread and was like "nah, I'm good".

Yeah a lot of other older games did as well, it doesn't mean much.

I like sfiv a lot personally, although i did find certain moves and characters very frustrating to play against like el fuerte, t.hawk, seth (i did enjoy having seth as a secondary though) but with such a big roster i guess it would be inevitable to have characters like that.

The sad thing for me is how big the game could have been and the potential squandered but i think the sales are also the fault of previous capcom fg's and how people felt burned ,regardless of whether it was justified all the time or not, and not just the very bad launch and the same i fear for mvci.

Kashiwaba

Yeah a lot of other older games did as well, it doesn't mean much.

I like sfiv a lot personally, although i did find certain moves and characters very frustrating to play against like el fuerte, t.hawk, seth (i did enjoy having seth as a secondary though) but with such a big roster i guess it would be inevitable to have characters like that.

The sad thing for me is how big the game could have been and the potential squandered but i think the sales are also the fault of previous capcom fg's and how people felt burned ,regardless of whether it was justified all the time or not, and not just the very bad launch and the same i fear for mvci.

I always felt this way, SF4 multiple iterations is the thing which hurt SFV way more than it's lack of SP contents.

If you're not good w/ the Birdie Matchup, force the blind pick immediately.

I saw him play Alex earlier in the day, but seeing his previous tournaments, he'll pick whatever. Even though the Birdie matchup is annoying, I might as well wing it.

Don't teabag him, he might start throwing things at you.

Teabagging is so lame, it's cooler when disrespect had some risk. Anyways, I know 1000% for any player, they get angry when they get hit by American resets, and I got dem.

Csr

I always felt this way, SF4 multiple iterations is the thing which hurt SFV way more than it's lack of SP contents.

I don't know which hurt more but both of those things certainly played a role. I dont think only the amount of iterations of sfiv was the problem. Imo SFIV didn't have enough sp content either, nor did mvc3 or sfxt. Then there was also the umvc3 announcement few months after mvc3 and then sfxt with all the issues people had with it.

I have a love-hate relationship with SF4. It's actually my favorite SF. And that has a lot to do with it being my first competitive SF even though I've been a huge fan of the series since SF2: WW. At the same time it's the most rage inducing game I've ever played in my life. I still love the game despite that but I could easily write more about the things I hate about that game than the reasons why I love it.

As for SFV sales, I also think the multiple releases of SF4 did have a very negative effect on SFV. I think it was hard for many casuals to see SFV as the next great coming when they heard about a new SF title almost yearly since SF4's release. The joke about waiting for Super SFV will probably never go away but at least if or when SF6 comes out, we'll know that their wasn't a Super, Ultra, or Turbo in between to give people the impression that it has only been a few years since the last one came out.

I have a love-hate relationship with SF4. It's actually my favorite SF. And that has a lot to do with it being my first competitive SF even though I've been a huge fan of the series since SF2: WW. At the same time it's the most rage inducing game I've ever played in my life. I still love the game despite that but I could easily write more about the things I hate about that game than the reasons why I love it.

As for SFV sales, I also think the multiple releases of SF4 did have a very negative effect on SFV. I think it was hard for many casuals to see SFV as the next great coming when they heard about a new SF title almost yearly since its release. The joke about waiting for Super SFV will probably never go away but at least if and when SF6 comes out, we'll know that their wasn't a Super, Ultra, or Turbo inbetween to give people the impression that it has only been a few years since the last one came out.

They can still do an ultra version. It would just be compatible with the current one. A branding thing only and just contain all characters released up to that point and some costumes or something.

If they are indeed making an arcade mode and other single player content they kinda have to do this if they want it to sell as the new name will help create awareness.

In regards to online players there does appear to be an i crease. I fought a guy in BL yesterday with 6LP who was rank 6??,000 cant remember exact number but last time i saw this it was about 100k lower. Whether is new players or people who already owned the game stepping into online i dont know.

MrCarter

This so much. I honestly dont know who came up with the brilliant idea of drip feeding us 6 characters every year for 5 years ( If we ever reach that point ).

They should have frontloaded the important characters to the earlier Seasons. And then later focussed on adding Balance updates,modes or features and character or two here and there. Kinda Like how Dota 2 does.

This feeling of constantly waiting for something is just gonna get people to leave not stay.

Yuck no. 6 characters every other month is fine because it lets characters breathe and gives us something to look forward to (amongst any other content), this is much better than waiting for a year or two and will keep people playing for longer.

What does the update for SFV do?

Improves functionality of the CFN with new servers.

In my mind, the ideal system would be a character blowout once a year where 6 characters get dropped at once alongside a balance patch, preferably after Capcpom Cup.

In the time period between Capcpom Cups, release fucktonnes of customization options, stages and improve on the UI/gameplay/etc.

MAYBE have a balance patch right after EVO, but that shouldn't be mandatory if the balance is considered decent or if the planned changes are too much.

But the problem with this approach is it requires budget and planning.

Well, we've only had Kolin besides Akuma lol. And even if Ed was supposed to come out in April, he might end up better than we think. And besides, Kolin isn't even bad. She's just meant for a more technical style of play.
I meant more from an excitement standpoint. I don't think Capcom is ever going to do a 5-1 split favoring new characters again. It was pretty lopsided and has many people dreading reveals (think Taylor and the dolls) instead of getting excited for them.
In my mind, the ideal system would be a character blowout once a year where 6 characters get dropped at once alongside a balance patch, preferably after Capcpom Cup.

In the time period between Capcpom Cups, release fucktonnes of customization options, stages and improve on the UI/gameplay/etc.

MAYBE have a balance patch right after EVO, but that shouldn't be mandatory if the balance is considered decent or if the planned changes are too much.

But the problem with this approach is it requires budget and planning.
They don't really need to be excessively large, but Capcom loves to go tweak things so characters play the way they want them to instead of looking at what people are enjoying. I think most people agree that 3-4 minor nerfs on Chun and Ryu would have made them perfectly reasonable, but instead Capcom goes crazy and went way overboard (seriously, I was reeling from the sheer amount of Ryu and Chun changes). It's like some FG devs sometimes just have to spend far too much time and energy on certain characters while others are struggling hardcore and it's a big mismanagement of resources/time that leads to disappointment. Season 2.5 was a small step in the right direction, though.

Hutchie

That battle lounge challenge was terrible for me due to the lag. Gonna try and get a wired connection but need like a 5m ethernet cable!

For season 3 capcom have got to bring back returning characters, a few more links and moves (give ken shinryuken as an ex) and were good.

MrCarter

One thing the movie got right:
916132cc7a763f91f67ef86d7cae25de.jpg

My babe Kylie. Best Cammy.

Marvel

could never
I'm enjoying SFV again, that's good.

Even though I am poorly atm and not doing well both physically and in-game I am trying to teach myself to calm down and try and learn from mistakes I am making. I think I may invest in a fightstick in the coming months, might be easier for me.

I'm enjoying SFV again, that's good.

Even though I am poorly atm and not doing well both physically and in-game I am trying to teach myself to calm down and try and learn from mistakes I am making. I think I may invest in a fightstick in the coming months, might be easier for me.

I switched to a fight stick a year ago and swore i was better for it. Now i have switched back to ds4 pad and i sware im.better with it than the stick lol. Its odd. I think as long as you can get used to it a dpad is faster and easier than a stick and the buttons require less travel so timing can be easier.

It prob just depends what your used to really. I guess thats why the old timers all use sticks and the new blood all seem to use ds4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom